The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2010, 08:40 PM   #1
spdracer53
"TRF" Member

Explorer II owners... what should I expect to pay?

looking to buy my first nice watch, and have decided the explorer II with the black dial is perfect for me.

i've been searching through the older posts on explorer II's and didn't come across many references to what kind of pricing others paid recently, and with the apparent and price increases coming September 13th, I'd like to get one before that happens.

for those owners who recently bought an explorer II, can you please pm or email me offline (spdracer53 at hotmail.com) and let me know what you paid for (i will keep it private) so i have an idea of what to expect when purchasing one in the next week or so.

thanks
spdracer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Here in the Netherlands you pay more or less in the grey circuit BNIB 3750 euro.
Official dealer pricelist is 4990 euro at the moment,

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
zippaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
What you may think about doing is reaching out to DavidSW right here on TRF. He has sold a boat load of different Rolex's to many very happy people, including me. He is very honest and if you ask him what you should expect to pay for the Explorer II, new or used, he can tell you. In fact you may just want to work with him. Do a search here on TRF and you will find him easily. Good luck.
zippaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 04:59 AM   #4
spdracer53
"TRF" Member

thanks! didn't know about davidsw
Old 6 September 2010, 03:23 PM   #5
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracer53 View Post
thanks! didn't know about davidsw
Hi neighbor!

I've gotten 2 watches from David, and can confirm that he ships to San Jose the very next day!

Good luck!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 04:08 PM   #6
spdracer53
"TRF" Member

ok, now i'm a bit torn on the explorer II.

i stopped by an ad to see the watch again and now it looks a bit smallish on my 7" wrist due to the tapering bezel. so i looked at the gmt master II in ss, and it looks slightly too big for me which makes sense since its case is slightly longer and beefier and wears a bit more flatter with the ceramic bezel.

my understand, and please correct me if i'm wrong since i've only been reading up for the past two days is... both have the same 3186 movement, and the main difference is the different bracelet clasp design, fixed vs rotating bezel, twin vs triple crown, and red vs green 24 hr hand.

price difference between the two will be approximately $1,300.

thoughts?
Old 6 September 2010, 04:11 PM   #7
spdracer53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
Hi neighbor!

I've gotten 2 watches from David, and can confirm that he ships to San Jose the very next day!

Good luck!
hello to you as well! where abouts in san jose are you? i'm in the west san jose/campbell area and work in saratoga.

i've gotten in contact with david, and he is what everyone says...knowledgeable, and fair with pricing.

i just need to decide what watch i'm going to buy.
Old 6 September 2010, 04:13 PM   #8
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
both have the same 3186 movement, and the main difference is the different bracelet clasp design, fixed vs rotating bezel, twin vs triple crown, and red vs green 24 hr hand.
The II-C also has the dreaded PCLs, it also has the supercase (thicker lugs), maxi dial, and it can only be had with a black dial vs black or white on the Explorer II.

Hope this helps.
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
Old 6 September 2010, 04:14 PM   #9
jrpb
"TRF" Member

Watch: White Explorer II
Hi spdracer53, which ever you choose you will wear well. I saved for nearly 3 years to buy my Exp II and did the same as you when i went to buy it. I saw a GMT IIc and fell in love but decided to still get the Exp II and started saving for the GMT, ive only got about 4 years to go lol im sure something else will catch my eye by the time i have saved enough.
Casio G-Shock MTG 910D
jrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 04:15 PM   #10
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hello to you as well! where abouts in san jose are you? i'm in the west san jose/campbell area and work in saratoga.
I'm in the south. Blossom Hill.

Good luck! David is awesome!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

Old 6 September 2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Quote:

i stopped by an ad to see the watch again and now it looks a bit smallish on my 7" wrist due to the tapering bezel. so i looked at the gmt master II in ss, and it looks slightly too big for me which makes sense since its case is slightly longer and beefier and wears a bit more flatter with the ceramic bezel.

my understand, and please correct me if i'm wrong since i've only been reading up for the past two days is... both have the same 3186 movement, and the main difference is the different bracelet clasp design, fixed vs rotating bezel, twin vs triple crown, and red vs green 24 hr hand.

thoughts?
Between the two, I would get the GMTIIC. I don't think it's too big for your 7" wrist.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 04:43 PM   #12
spdracer53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The II-C also has the dreaded PCLs, it also has the supercase (thicker lugs), maxi dial, and it can only be had with a black dial vs black or white on the Explorer II.

Hope this helps.
yea, not really fond of the polished center links but it at least brushing it is an option.

oh and since its my first nice watch... going to stay simple and do a black dial first.
Old 6 September 2010, 04:45 PM   #13
spdracer53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpb View Post
Hi spdracer53, which ever you choose you will wear well. I saved for nearly 3 years to buy my Exp II and did the same as you when i went to buy it. I saw a GMT IIc and fell in love but decided to still get the Exp II and started saving for the GMT, ive only got about 4 years to go lol im sure something else will catch my eye by the time i have saved enough.
thanks! looking forward to buying something soon before the price increase in mid septemeber.

curious... it seemed you liked the gmt IIC more than the explorer II... what was the reason for getting the explorer II? weight? price?
Old 6 September 2010, 04:48 PM   #14
spdracer53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm in the south. Blossom Hill.

Good luck! David is awesome!
cool. i've been traveling down that way recently to get a rental property ready for the market near the sports authority off blossom hill rd.

would be nice to meet up with a local forum member one of these days!
Old 6 September 2010, 04:48 PM   #15
Mantooth

Watch: you talkin' 'bout?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
Between the two, I would get the GMTIIC. I don't think it's too big for your 7" wrist.
Completely agree. My wrist is 6.5" and it fits perfect.

Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 06:06 PM   #16
Richard.
"TRF" Member

The GMT has the additional functionality of a rotatable bezel (although now only 24 clicks) and has the much improved bracelet (if you can live with the PCLs). Either way expect at least 20% off.
Richard. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2010, 08:02 PM   #17
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Quote:

thoughts?
I find myself wearing my ExpII more than any other watch I own...

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2010, 12:43 AM   #18
JRA
2024 Pledge Member

Exp II is an excellent watch

For your 7 inch wrist this watch is not going to appear small at all. I have a larger wrist, closer to 7.5 inches or so and it looks perfect (to me at least and I think my view is probably more in line with the "average" view point). While not as thick looking as the GMT (which has a similar look to the Sub) it does have a nice presence and looks unique - think about it, no other Rolex looks like the Exp II given the look of the bezel and tappered sides of the bezel. In the end, you should do one simple thing - try on all the watches you're interested in and that will be the best source of advice (i.e. your own personal experience!). As for price, who cares about an AD price increase if you're looking at grey market or used - as with everything, it'll cost what you're willing to pay.

Last edited by JRA; 7 September 2010 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Added a clarification
JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2010, 01:15 AM   #19
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
cool. i've been traveling down that way recently to get a rental property ready for the market near the sports authority off blossom hill rd.

would be nice to meet up with a local forum member one of these days!
PM me anytime, bro!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

Old 7 September 2010, 01:36 AM   #20
Z-Dweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: All my children.
I have a GMT IIc and an Explorer II white. I wear the EII more since it is lighter, fits very comfortably, and has a lower profile (size and noticability - is that a word?). But I do think the GMT IIc is a better watch so I wear it more for social occasions. The EII is my casual watch.

I'll be looking for a black faced EII with an orange 24h hand, either vintage or next year's model - if the rumors are true.
Old 7 September 2010, 03:00 AM   #21
fc3s2k
"TRF" Member

Watch: OFFICINE PANERAI
I know david is awesome and will ship anywhere except Pluto but if you want face to face Tony (justrolexes) is the man. He will take great care and make your experience unforgettable since this is your first.
fc3s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 11:49 PM   #22
neily
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II white face
I just purchased a new Exp II white dial in Paris for €3,900. It's my first and it took me about 3 years to decide and actually make the purchase. Couldn't be happier. Best purchase I have ever made. The second one won't take that long, that's for sure!
neily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2010, 12:03 AM   #23
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

After almost 3 months in struggling and considering between ExpII & GMTIIc, I got my final decision for ExpII black face and bought it in AD Hong Kong yesterday, the final cash price is HK$40205 (USD5155).
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2010, 12:08 AM   #24
Chris Rowell
"TRF" Member

Fine choice,i do like the GMT 11 but for me the Explorer 11 is THE watch.
Chris Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2010, 12:09 AM   #25
ttomczak
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Congrats! I know you will love it!

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2010, 12:13 AM   #26
Aspirin
"TRF" Member

Quote:

thoughts?
7" is damn good for GMTIIc, you know I have my sweety wrist in 5.8" but still put it into my list.
Aspirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2010, 12:27 AM   #27
not_a_doctor
"TRF" Member

How can you go wrong between two great watches? Nice either way with different feels.
not_a_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2010, 01:02 AM   #28
spdracer53
"TRF" Member

decided to go with the gmt iic.

as my first nice watch, i didn't want to have regrets so i decided i could deal with a slightly bigger watch than a smaller one.

plus, i'm sure after a few days or weeks the watch won't look so big as i perceive it.