The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2010, 06:56 AM   #91
tulsaokusa

Watch: 2010 SS/Black SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
in that case, i believe Sub is the same. how many variation of Subs are there in the current form?

i remember reading somewhere stating that Blancpain is the oldest watch company in the world - what was their first piece and story behind it?
I see your point. Yeah... Sub no date & Sub with date. SS, TT, Gold, with various dials and bezels etc.

Clarification:

The 'Sub' model I am referring to (without having referred to it as of yet for some silly reason) is the SS Black Sub with date (or without date), IMO is the most recognizable watch in the world.

So, technically... I am referring to two models. Date & no date.
tulsaokusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 07:00 AM   #92
tulsaokusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Actually, the DJ already outsells the Sub worldwide.

I think Pete summed it up well. The new price is putting the Sub in a weird position now...a little out of reach for many of the previous potential buyers.
I understand what you are saying now... the DJ's various models outsell the Sub's various models, worldwide. Interesting...

Sorry... I need lunch.

Old 16 September 2010, 07:03 AM   #93
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsundberg View Post
plus the fact that somewhere around 30-40% of Rolex enthusiasts do NOT like the new SubC.
I love when 'stats' like these are thrown around the internet. 30 - 40% based on what? A few questions:

1. How many 'Rolex enthusiasts' are there in the world? Must be some kind of Rolex enthusiasts master roster I've never heard of!?!?
2. Better yet, what exactly defines a true 'Rolex enthusiasts'?
3. Where exactly is the data/surveys of said 'Rolex enthusiasts' to justify the statement?
4. What defines "do NOT like" status. 1, 2, 3, ect changes someone would make to the watch?

The point is, I wouldn't put much stock in that 'data' point. Economy strenth (or lack thereof) & price of the outgoing vs. new SS Sub are other matters and definitely something that can quantified for this debate...anything else is just personal opinion.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 07:10 AM   #94
tulsaokusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I love when 'stats' like these are thrown around the internet. 30 - 40% based on what? A few questions:

1. How many 'Rolex enthusiasts' are there in the world? Must be some kind of Rolex enthusiasts master roster I've never heard of!?!?
2. Better yet, what exactly defines a true 'Rolex enthusiasts'?
3. Where exactly is the data/surveys of said 'Rolex enthusiasts' to justify the statement?
4. What defines "do NOT like" status. 1, 2, 3, ect changes someone would make to the watch?

The point is, I wouldn't put much stock in that 'data' point. Economy strenth (or lack thereof) & price of the outgoing vs. new SS Sub are other matters and definitely something that can quantified for this debate...anything else is just personal opinion.
Just a quantitative observation based on a sampling from polls in this forum and others over the past several months - which IMO are reasonably decent samples for 'Rolex enthusiasts'... That is why I used the words 'somewhere around'... I'm not writing a column in a magazine or newspaper... I'm just sharing some opinions based on my very limited knowledge and perspective. That's the beauty of a forum.

I wouldn't put much stock in my 'data' point either. But I would also say that the polls on this forum and others back up my 'data' point. So... my estimate is based upon IMO reasonably good samples of data, because the samples were derived from forums of Rolex watch enthusiasts - from all around the world.

My 'somewhere around' 30-40% figure is reasonably representative IMO. But, perhaps it's more like 20-30%. I will say however, that I could not think of a finer resource in which to gain data samples from around the world from Rolex enthusiasts than Rolex watch forums. So... it's not like I'm really pulling these numbers out of thin air... I'm just sharing an overall observation in summary point. One thing is for certain... the new SubC is gaining in popularity, not decreasing.

Old 16 September 2010, 07:15 AM   #95
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The DSSD is an evolution of the Seadweller so it does have history. The 116610 is a ground up redesign (beyond most of the movement) just like the DSSD is a redesign. I personally think that the DJ is the most recognized Rolex out there (of course this is just an opinion).

It bears mentioning that Italian frogmen were diving with their Panerais (fitted with Rolex movements I believe) long before the fifty fathoms or Submariner were developed.

Personally, I think that if the economy today was like that of 2006, then the Subc hype would be much stronger....
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 07:18 AM   #96
tulsaokusa

Putting percentages aside...

Price increase, economic positioning, and the fact that many within the Rolex enthusiasts community do NOT like the overall look of the SubC - these are IMO the top three reasons for why the Sub is being 'pushed' into a position of more exclusivity.

That's all I'm trying to say.

:-)
Old 16 September 2010, 07:24 AM   #97
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Putting percentages aside, I dont think Rolex gives a hoot about what us WIS have to say. The vast majority of their customers couldnt even tell you the difference between a quartz or mechanical watch. They just want one nice watch, and Rolex is the name they know. In time (over the next 20 years) the new watch will sell more examples than its predecessors thus bolstering their bottom line. Ultimately, they are still a business.

Last edited by Zed Homme; 16 September 2010 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: typo
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 07:33 AM   #98
tulsaokusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
Putting percentages aside, I dont think Rolex gives a hoot about what us WIS have to say. The vast majority of their customers couldnt even tell you the difference between a quartz or mechanical watch. They just want one nice watch, and Rolex is the name they know. In time (over the next 20 years) the new watch will sell more examples than its predecessors thus bolstering their bottom line. Ultimately, they are still a business.
Well said.
Old 16 September 2010, 07:47 AM   #99
NMS75

Watch: 16610 & 116710LN
I wouldn't swap my 16610 for the new 116610 Sub! The new Sub is a nice watch but has lost the elegance of its predecessor IMHO. If I want a chunky case watch (which I do) I would opt for the GMTIIc.

M
NMS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 07:54 AM   #100
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
Nail.

Head.

Hit on the.

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 08:08 AM   #101
kol
"TRF" Member

I LV from UK a week ago and paid for that £ 4,700 incl. shipping.
Kari
kol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 08:09 AM   #102
NMS75

Watch: 16610 & 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
Nail.

Head.

Hit on the.

X2

M
NMS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2010, 12:31 PM   #103
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
A 3+ year imploding world-wide financial crisis which more than likely will be the worst sustained economic downturn in all of our lifetimes (knock on wood) & the minuscule disposable income coffers of consumers today compared to the booming economic times when the GMT-IIC was released has more to do with this phenomenon than anything else IMO.

We saw the same thing when the DSSD was release a few years ago - crashing economy, people losing their jobs right & left w/ no relief in sight and a bunch of people jumping on the band wagon that the DSSD was a "Hated" watch because it wasn't flying off the shelf.

I said it then, and I'll say it again as it relates to the Sub-C today...IF the watch was released during a booming economy I'm pretty sure it would be flying off the shelf too.

When money is tight (or the future is as extremely uncertain as it is today) it helps immensely on the "My watch is good enough front...no need/desire to 'upgrade'". Yet look when money is flying in...human nature generally kicks in and makes us decide how much we 'need' (read: really want) to upgrade things like our watches, cars, boats, vacations, homes and hence we tend to desire the latest & greatest things offered from our favorite manufacturers like Rolex.

That's all that's going on here IMO. Fast forward 3-5 years when hopefully the economy is firing on all cylinders again and I have a strange feeling the demand for the Sub-C will miraculously become very strong. You heard it here first.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote