The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 June 2018, 01:58 AM   #1
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

An unexpected Z-Blue

I’ve been having second thoughts about the Black Bay Pepsi I have on order. It’s a lovely watch. But I have an Explorer 2 Polar which does two time zones just fine. The Exp is a watch I couldn’t take off when I first tried it on. Up close, in the metal, this watch is a lot nicer than even the best photos tend to convey. But I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder.

The Hulk is my grail watch and I was able to scratch that itch more recently. It’s sufficiently different from the Polar to rotate and feel different (yet still reassuringly Rolex) but to be honest, I’d own the Hulk regardless. It was something to do before I die and I haven’t regretted it at all.

I was going to ask my AD (Malory Bath) to cancel my Black Bay Pepsi order and refund my deposit. I popped in today. It seemed that common sense had broken out. What did I need yet another watch for?

I should have known better. As I passed the window, among the two TT Daytonas, a variety of OPs and DJs and a Root Beer GMT, there sat a Z-Blue, looking resplendent as the dial shimmered in the sunlight. How could I not at least try it on? It would have been rude not to.

No chance of a discount, but I already had the deposit for my cancelled Black Bay Pepsi on account, so that was something. Impulsive? Yes. Logical? Well, I now have a White Polar (from AD with discount), Green Sub Date (grey and over MSRP) and Blue Milgauss from AD at MSRP. That’s a nice collection to rotate through.

The bright light makes the polished bits look a bit marked, but it’s a trick of the light. The watch is flawless (as would be expected!) and I haven’t managed to ding it just yet. Wish I hadn’t said that…

We took a Rolex catalogue home with us. While the bracelet was being sized, I flicked through it. No sign of the 116710LN or the 116710BLNR. Dealer was surprised when I pointed this out and could not explain why. Both models are in their master catalogue, they said.

That’s me done with my collection. I don't want or need anything else. No, really. I mean it. Honestly…..
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:14 AM   #2
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Great collection Harry and a big congrats on the new arrival.
Enjoy them all in the best of health.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:20 AM   #3
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Looks great - congrats
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:25 AM   #4
MonsterSS
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126613LB
looks awesome, huge congrats!!
MonsterSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:26 AM   #5
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Love the Z-blue. Nearly bought one myself, but I just didn't want another watch with a polished bezel.

Enjoy!
Old 12 June 2018, 02:27 AM   #6
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congrats on adding a Milgauss Z Blue GV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:40 AM   #7
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
The Milgauss is an unusual and striking watch. I saw one once in an AD, but never again. I hope you really enjoy the watch.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:49 AM   #8
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:52 AM   #9
Woody
"TRF" Member

I have also just added one to my small collection - great watch.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:54 AM   #10
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I’ve been having second thoughts about the Black Bay Pepsi I have on order. It’s a lovely watch. But I have an Explorer 2 Polar which does two time zones just fine. The Exp is a watch I couldn’t take off when I first tried it on. Up close, in the metal, this watch is a lot nicer than even the best photos tend to convey. But I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder.

The Hulk is my grail watch and I was able to scratch that itch more recently. It’s sufficiently different from the Polar to rotate and feel different (yet still reassuringly Rolex) but to be honest, I’d own the Hulk regardless. It was something to do before I die and I haven’t regretted it at all.

I was going to ask my AD (Malory Bath) to cancel my Black Bay Pepsi order and refund my deposit. I popped in today. It seemed that common sense had broken out. What did I need yet another watch for?

I should have known better. As I passed the window, among the two TT Daytonas, a variety of OPs and DJs and a Root Beer GMT, there sat a Z-Blue, looking resplendent as the dial shimmered in the sunlight. How could I not at least try it on? It would have been rude not to.

No chance of a discount, but I already had the deposit for my cancelled Black Bay Pepsi on account, so that was something. Impulsive? Yes. Logical? Well, I now have a White Polar (from AD with discount), Green Sub Date (grey and over MSRP) and Blue Milgauss from AD at MSRP. That’s a nice collection to rotate through.

The bright light makes the polished bits look a bit marked, but it’s a trick of the light. The watch is flawless (as would be expected!) and I haven’t managed to ding it just yet. Wish I hadn’t said that…

We took a Rolex catalogue home with us. While the bracelet was being sized, I flicked through it. No sign of the 116710LN or the 116710BLNR. Dealer was surprised when I pointed this out and could not explain why. Both models are in their master catalogue, they said.

That’s me done with my collection. I don't want or need anything else. No, really. I mean it. Honestly…..

GOOD choice!
I love mine, and cannot part with it

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:07 AM   #11
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Congrats! Just bought one recently as well. It's a beauty..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:10 AM   #12
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Congrats Harry! Enjoy all of them. Lovely watches!

“It’s a watch, it tells time. Not much else”
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:36 AM   #13
mray6375
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, 116610LV
I bought My son a Z Blue for graduation a few months back. I’m always looking at it on his wrist when the sunlight hits the green crystal. Beautiful watch, congrats.
mray6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:52 AM   #14
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Congratulations and well played Harry! You play in the same part of the catalog as I do....I call it the sweet spot. This includes the Milgauss, Explorer II, GMT Master II and the Submariner. I'm leaning very hard towards getting either a Hulk or a Z Blue for my next. I suspect it will be the Z Blue since they are more readily available.

I absolutley love your trio. It's bold and certainly not the usual suspects. The Milgauss is always a great choice, especially the Z Blue.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:57 AM   #15
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Congrats and welcome to the club

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 04:11 AM   #16
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

Big congrats! I got rid of mine a few years back and I regretted it later on as I’ve seen photos of it everywhere! Only watch I ever bought again and I’ve sold off my blnr. So that says something, that I absolutely love this watch. Happy I got it again. Wear it in good health it’s the best milgauss and a classic to me!
Bruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 04:13 AM   #17
MARTIN1264
"TRF" Member

Nice Collection....
MARTIN1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 04:18 AM   #18
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Huge congrats on the lovely piece. I'm surprised the Milgauss models are still relatively available to purchase at ADs and I've encountered a couple of them and occasionally the odd Air-King on display. Was it a gold or two tone CHNR you saw at the AD? Enjoy the Z-Blue in the best of health.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 04:34 AM   #19
MilgaussBe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV Z-blue/BLNR
I love mine but if you wear it a lot or daily it's an utter utter scratch and dent magnet. It really shows after a couple of years, don't mind it but I'd prefer not to have them of course.

Only downside of this watch for me.
MilgaussBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 04:34 AM   #20
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

Love that dial!
Old 12 June 2018, 04:59 AM   #21
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Congrats and nice collection!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 05:33 AM   #22
henry333
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Love the z blue. Congratulations
henry333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 05:34 AM   #23
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Congrats!!
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 07:05 AM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you all. Most kind and much appreciated.

Re the Daytonas on display, I couldn't swear to it but I'm fairly certain that one was TT and the other was Everose.

I am anticipating getting the polished surfaces of the Z-Blue somewhat scratched. I think this adds to the character, providing I don't knock chunks out of it.

Thanks again folks.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 01:35 PM   #25
DasKptl
Banned

Methinks Z-Blue is perhaps the coolest blue-dial watche of all Rolex. Congrats!
DasKptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 02:34 PM   #26
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Congrats looks great!
Old 12 June 2018, 02:42 PM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

congrats
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 03:48 PM   #28
jbro352
"TRF" Member

Big congrats!
jbro352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2018, 06:35 PM   #29
henckel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
looks awakesome!
henckel is offline   Reply With Quote