The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2010, 03:47 PM   #1
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Anyone in here have an Audemars of Vacheron?

Well within 5 years or so I plan to get me a Vacheron or a Audemars. I love these watches and well from what I know and the research I've done on my trips to Switzerland Audemars and Vacheron are the top watches in the world long with Patek which I am not too crazy about. I am looking at either a Vacheron Overseas model (perpetual calendar) or the Audemars Royal Oak (perpetual calendar)

If anyone does have a Vacheron or an Audemars feel free to post pics for me (us) would love to see them.

EDIT Audemars OR Vacheron
AAMD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2010, 11:50 PM   #2
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
My humble .02 cents....
Patek is #1 Vacheron and AP are both #2.

I think I would give AP and VC the edge over Patek when it comes to daily wear sportier watches though.

I own a late 50's/early 60's AP Manual Ultra Thin Skeleton which my father passed on to me a few years ago.

My fiancee is in the process of buying me a AP RO Chrono as a wedding present.

I am slowly saving for an AP ROO (one particular LE)

After those I plan on getting a VC Overseas Date someday down the road.

The RO and Overseas are both great watches you just need to see which you like more in size (the Overseas is 2 mm bigger), Dial (colors vary and so does the pattern), Bezel, Water Resistance (VC seems to have some more room than the RO here) and also Date location varies with the two.

Also VC does not currently offer an Overseas Perp Cal so if you want the perp cal you will have to go AP.

Myself if I was going for a Perp Cal I would be looking at something more elegant and dressy versus metal and sporty

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2010, 02:05 AM   #3
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
VC vs AP, for me it's a tie, both fantastic companies, both produce fantastic watches and movements.

It comes down to what style you like, i have an AP ROC, i bought this but could easily have bought a VC Overseas Chrono instead, these companies have all collaborated on so much over time that a lot of the ideas are similar, in terms of movement and design, infact both the Royal Oak and the Overseas are designed by the same man, Gerald Genta, who also did the Patek Nautilus (and several dozen others).

As i've said a few times, when it comes to choices such as AP vs VC there is no loser, only personal taste dictates your choice as they are both top quality. As for the top 3, VC, AP and PP are known as the big three watch manufacturers, but i also think there are a host of others who make watches that are just as good, some even cheaper, such as JLC.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2010, 06:00 AM   #4
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
would love to get one of them soon.... Probably an AP RO rather than the VC Overseas Date. Def. White dial for me.

Both bracelets are ultra comfy and just love both dials. Cant go wrong with either really.

Truth to be told, i'd be happy with either, all depends on deal i can get really.

No idea on the resale value though.... (not that i flip my watches anyway.....)
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2010, 06:48 AM   #5
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Do you have pics of your AP ROC Argee1977? Would love to see em. Well as stated above it is all about your personal taste, I for one prefer VC and AP over Patek anyday. When I was down in Puerto Rico I tried both of them on and the RO feels solid (if you know what I mean) just the heftiness of it was excellent. These are the two that I am debating on.

First the AP:

http://www.audemarspiguet.com/AP/?#/...T.OO.1220ST.02

And then the VC:

http://vacheronconstantin.com/en2/ou...7450-B01A-9226

Thus far I am inclining more towards the AP, like the look of it better. Anyone have any thoughts about these particular two watches? I will be getting one or the other in about 3-5 years. Got to do alot of soul searching.
Old 2 March 2010, 07:34 AM   #6
argee1977
"TRF" Member

I've got some pictures of the ROC on both bracelet and the strap which is a lovely addition when getting one.

Old 5 March 2010, 12:20 AM   #7
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
I would go with AP any day!!!!

Here are some pics of the first Offshore Ref. 25721ST.OO.1000ST.01 and the first Royal Oak Ref. 5402 ever made in two-tone.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6836 copy.jpg (62.6 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6852 copy.jpg (52.3 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg SNV38192 copy.jpg (43.5 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg SNV38198 copy.jpg (54.4 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg SNV38202 copy.jpg (48.8 KB, 335 views)

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 12:33 AM   #8
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Ahhh the dual time...
I have looked at and tried on both.
My stock broker owns and wears the AP dual time daily.

You can't go wrong either way.

I have decided to go with the AP Chrono myself as I just dont like the date wheel on the dual time when it comes down to it but I understand its used to balance the watch.

The major difference between the two will be 40 mm for the AP and 42 for the VC.

Dial finish is personal taste both are stunning. On this particular model I like the dial on the VC a bit more.

I have considered that model MANY times for the watch my Fiancee is gonna buy me as a wedding present, it was between the Chrono or Dual Time.

From what I understand the movement in the Dual Time is not a typical AP or VC movement though some purists sort of looked down upon it for some reason??? I do not know why....

What I like is that it is a true dual time for when tracking timezones that arent exactly ahead or behind in full hours

Planning 3-5 years out? Hmm my tastes change too quickly to plan a purchase that far ahead hahaha

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I LOVE THE AP ROC, i am totally and completely infatuated with it, and I dont care that i have daytona and both watch will fulfil the same functions in my life, i will one day buy it!!!!!........................................... ............hopefully....hahhaha

p.s if you are looking at perpetual calendars....the hottest and most elegant perpetual calender watch in my opinion is the IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar in Rose Gold.....u should check it out
Old 5 March 2010, 04:01 AM   #10
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
One of my grails is an AP ROC or ROO. I personally don't find that particular VC good looking next to the AP ROC/ROO.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2010, 09:30 PM   #11
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
that AP is good but VC gets my vote if I ever have to choose, which is highly unlikely :) the VC is just too classy, the classiest 'sports' watch I think :)

the new IWC perpetual calendar Portuguese is very pretty and some JLCs really stand shoulder to shoulder with any of those so do check them out too
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2010, 04:00 AM   #12
everose

I always felt Breguet has the legitimacy to be included with PP,VC and AP....but everyone always talks about the "Trinity" of watchmakers.

I guess(not sure) its because it had French origins and not Swiss.
I do not regard that as a basis to be excluded from this elite group.

I would be ecstatic to own a watch from ANY of these manufacturers..........some day,some day!!!!!!

everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 03:25 PM   #13
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Breget is excellent definitely can be part of the trinity and should be added as one of teh top 4. Thanks for the input guys appreciate your comments. I decided to get the AP RO as the one that I posted the link on. I just really like the look of the AP RO series, not to mention that it has a blue dial.
Old 7 March 2010, 05:14 PM   #14
dr_bypass
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT - BLNR
Dont forget Ulisse Nardin !
Old 7 March 2010, 06:53 PM   #15
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bypass View Post
Dont forget Ulisse Nardin !
UN is not in the same group IMO.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2010, 10:00 PM   #16
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
Buy what you like best, dont just buy the brand...

Out of these two brands Audemars would get my vote, Vacheron are nice but nothing special and certenly not for that money!

If I had the funds I would buy this Rose gold AP ROO... If you go for the AP ROO (SS or YG, RG) I think the rubberstap is the best choice as if you get the metal-bracelet I personally think it gets too chunky and not as nice, just my two cents! The AP RO is really nice on metal bracelet btw!

/masterkiller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP_Rose_Rubber._Front.jpg (109.5 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg AP_Rose_Rubber._Back.jpg (99.4 KB, 263 views)
Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2010, 05:24 AM   #17
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAMD11 View Post
Breget is excellent definitely can be part of the trinity and should be added as one of teh top 4. Thanks for the input guys appreciate your comments. I decided to get the AP RO as the one that I posted the link on. I just really like the look of the AP RO series, not to mention that it has a blue dial.

The 'Holy' Trinity of watchmakers is AP, PP and VC. The reason for this is that at the time of this 'trinity' Breguet were basically just a name being put on watches, they had no real link with their history, were owned by a company that had no real tie in to the history and so on.

It's not really to do with the quality, because at that time Breguet weren't really in that class, now they are, mainly because Swatch (who own them now) used their heritage and name to produce very high end watches. It's the same nowadays with VC, they are owned by Richemont, but it has been uninterupted, unlike Breguet's history.

On a side note, there are countless watchmakers who produce quality that to me is just as good as the big three, you just need to look at the likes of Parmigiani, Lange & Sohn, Harry Winston, Urwerk and a host of others to see that, in real terms the 'big three' is just a throw back to the last century, when the mechanical watchmakers were all but decimated due to the quartz revolution.

Old 8 March 2010, 11:33 PM   #18
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Here's mine.....

I've had it for several months now and really love it. It is a classic look and very rare to find on another wrist.....kind of makes it a little more special than my Sub, for instance. I would highly recommend it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP10.jpg (59.4 KB, 234 views)
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote