The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 January 2012, 02:15 AM   #31
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by signcarver View Post
My original post was answered by Tools in his first sentence.
My original thought was that some machines such as cars do better when they are run versus when they sit. The watch and car comparison now seems like a bad analogy.
Well, just to be safe I don't let them sit too long without running, once a month or so, just to keep the oil circulated on the ones I don't wear often enough....but with the modern oils, this simply isn't the problem it used to be, which is why Rolex will still warrant a watch that's been sitting unworn at an AD for several years.

Quote:
As for the Rolex document above... if you have your watch serviced every 5 years this should "never" occur. Since RSC completely disassembles, inspects all parts for wear and replaces worn parts the watch should last indefinitely unless a part becomes unavailable which probably won't be in our lifetime.
I think that they still do have an age limit after which they'll refuse to service the watch, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
I did find this link http://www.watchwinderstore.com/watch/winders.htm#b which (while written by a pro watch winder site) offers some interesting info - see question 2 - "Why use a watch winder"
People selling stuff are very good at coming up with reasons why you should use their stuff. :) Anyway, I think as you said that Larry hit it on the head. Just be careful not to cross-thread the crown when you screw it back down and wind it gently when you wind, it should be fine.

If you choose to use a winder, I don't think it will result in any early catastrophic failure of the watch, but it will result in increased wear (as opposed to the watch not running), and it really doesn't save much time, only takes a minute or so to set a watch.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 02:37 AM   #32
al_bongo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My original post was answered by Tools in his first sentence.
My original thought was that some machines such as cars do better when they are run versus when they sit. The watch and car comparison now seems like a bad analogy.
I don't see this as a bad comparison at all, they are both mechanical systems after all. Both an engine and a watch movement wear more when they are constantly in motion.

Fuel costs aside no one would run their car 24/7. Maybe a tread mill in the garage to keep it running while you're not driving?
al_bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 03:14 AM   #33
signcarver
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
fuel costs aside no one would run their car 24/7. Maybe a tread mill in the garage to keep it running while you're not driving?
signcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 03:38 AM   #34
Genway
"TRF" Member

Your analogy make very sense to me. If we can put a meter on watch movement and show the "mileages" it runs, many of the watch can last 10 years without service! Think about what parts really replaced on a 25 years watch, even you routinely serviced every five years; mainsprings, new gaskets, oil, maybe a crystal or two, what else is must to replace?
So its clear only certain parts wear before you give up the watch.
Automatic winder only add the wear to winding axle and the gib hold it, but when this happen, manufacture want you do the full service to replace the axle.
Genway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2012, 08:04 AM   #35
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
All mechanical watches wear, and certain parts should always be replaced at service..

Those budget watchmakers who take a 10 year old watch, service it cheaply, then tell the owner that "everything looked great and I didn't replace anything", just did the owner a big disservice..

The mainspring imparts torque on the drivetrain.. it pulls everything tight, therefore every gear has a pressure side, and a non-pressure side.. The pressure side always has another gear physically pushing against it, and rubbing as it engages and disengages. It is especially noticeable on the great wheel that takes the most direct force... the pallet slides back and forth across the main-plate, and every escapement jewel has a face that presses and rubs against the corresponding surface thousands of times daily.. And, of course, the rotor axle will always show some wear..

If the watch is running, these parts wear out - always, not just sometimes, always..

Most of these parts are considered "expendables" by Rolex and are replaced at service..

So, winder or wrist, at some point it will need a service.

If you choose the cheap route and the watchmaker says "didn't replace a thing", all you really got was an oil change.. That might be all you need if the watch was not running and kept in a box for a decade.. If it was running though, parts were wearing out and it's only a matter of time before failure ..
Old 5 January 2012, 08:08 AM   #36
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
The more your watch is working the more wear and tear. You are free to think what you want but a winder does put excess wear on watch. However if you only have one watch and it is always at work then the answer is of course no but then why have a winder.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...h...%26quot%3B
x2

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service interval , wear and tear , winder