The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2023, 01:54 AM   #1
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/ Ω
Any Detroit Pistons fans here? (My condolences)

I'm a 76ers fan myself but, much like a lot of other rubberneckers I guess, I've been following the Pistons since about the 20-straight loss mark. I'll admit it, I was rooting for their 27th straight just to see history made. But I changed my mind when I saw Cade Cunningham's performance last night and his post-game presser (not to mention his previous couple pressers) - it broke my heart to see such a young kid play so hard and take more accountability than the owner and GM (where is the GM during all of this? Did he flee the country?)

I think their next game (Celtics) is a write-off, but imo Toronto (the one right after) is so inconsistent they might have a good chance to stop the skid at 28.
Old 28 December 2023, 02:29 AM   #2
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

their coach landed an $80m coaching contract this off season and follows that up with this. just proves he fumbled big time with the suns before this

on the other hand, the lions are in the playoffs and won their division for the first time in 30 years so something had to be sacrificed there. i'm sure detroit fans are fine with that
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 07:26 AM   #3
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
It's a shame the Spurs managed to win a game a couple of weeks ago, because they've now lost 23 of 24. They play the Pistons in two weeks and that matchup could have been truly epic.
Old 28 December 2023, 10:48 AM   #4
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Amazing they started off the season 2-1 (Nearly 3-0). They've got a rough stretch coming up with the next 5 out of 6 on the road, which arguably might be a reprieve from playing at home.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 11:12 AM   #5
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
It's a shame the Spurs managed to win a game a couple of weeks ago, because they've now lost 23 of 24. They play the Pistons in two weeks and that matchup could have been truly epic.
Yikes, if the Spurs would have been on a competing streak it would have been one of the most watched games ever, for all the wrong reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ1925 View Post
Amazing they started off the season 2-1 (Nearly 3-0). They've got a rough stretch coming up with the next 5 out of 6 on the road, which arguably might be a reprieve from playing at home.
Agreed. It's actually amazing how much support they've had from the fan base (I think their attendance is something like top 6 or so in the league), well, until the last few minutes when the paper bag head gear comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
their coach landed an $80m coaching contract this off season and follows that up with this. just proves he fumbled big time with the suns before this

on the other hand, the lions are in the playoffs and won their division for the first time in 30 years so something had to be sacrificed there. i'm sure detroit fans are fine with that
I haven't followed the NFL for a while, but I recall thinking that the Lions winning their division would indeed have to involve some kind of ritual sacrifice.
Old 28 December 2023, 04:51 PM   #6
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Fwiw, as of right now, both Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown are listed as questionable for Boston for tomorrow (Thursday) night's game against the Pistons
Old 29 December 2023, 09:19 PM   #7
330ci
"TRF" Member

Haven't watched them since they traded off Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince.

Haven't had a team worth watching since IMO.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 02:12 AM   #8
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Haven't watched them since they traded off Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince.

Haven't had a team worth watching since IMO.
I've heard of some Pistons fans who say the Chauncey Billups trade cursed the franchise. I just looked and they've only been over .500 twice since then (well, once really - the other time was exactly .500), and made the playoffs once and got swept in the 1st round.
Old 30 December 2023, 02:41 AM   #9
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
NBA is unwatchable in my opinion.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 04:14 AM   #10
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

Lions rising had doomed the Red Wings too!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 05:43 AM   #11
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred View Post
I've heard of some Pistons fans who say the Chauncey Billups trade cursed the franchise. I just looked and they've only been over .500 twice since then (well, once really - the other time was exactly .500), and made the playoffs once and got swept in the 1st round.
I watched Billups more in his first season at Chicago than I could get my head into the remaining line up for the Pistons.

I genuinely don't know what they were thinking. I was a kid at the time and my parents explained that the lineup wasn't going to dominate forever so they had to get new stars to the table and we'd have a great program again in a few years. just never played out that way and the excitement was long gone anyways.

whether it was Rasheed Wallace getting Teched out of every other game, Ben Wallaces epic slam dunks and sick hair do, to the way the team played together. they weren't just fun to watch because they won, they won because they worked together better than any team I had ever seen before or since. it was sad seeing it broke apart because the sum of the parts never equated past the whole at the Pistons. they all more or less faded away.

I seem to recall us wasting a ton of time trying to devolope Darko Milicic as a player and vaguely remember him kicking our ass playing for the spurs? google didn't seem to confirm this but I could've sworn he handed it to us after leaving the franchise at some point.

truely was a curse. but also hard to compete with what they were. Packing into the Palace to watch them play as a kid generated some of the best memories I have from my childhood, I didn't realize we'd fallen this far, but the team was magic for a few years. really would be tough to replicate. hopefully they turn the ship around.

The Palace has been reduced to rubble at this point though so alot of the would be nostalgia is gone for me. will be interesting to see if they get their new streak lol never thought i'd see this day.
Old 31 December 2023, 12:06 AM   #12
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Loved your comment. When a team can reach that point where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts you know you have something special. Otherwise... well, witness the various "super" teams that have disappointed over the years.

I think there's actually a lot of talent on this year's edition of the Pistons (well, at least better than their record would imply) but they just don't seem to comprise much of a team. Although, especially earlier in the streak, Monty Williams' lineups seemed almost designed to get the worst out of them.

I'm often pretty bad at predictions, but I still think tonight's game against the Raptors could be the end of the streak.
Old 31 December 2023, 07:30 AM   #13
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Pistons might be able to catch the Raptors in a bit of disarray tonight after their big trade with the Knicks.
Old 31 December 2023, 07:35 AM   #14
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pistons might be able to catch the Raptors in a bit of disarray tonight after their big trade with the Knicks.
Let's hope not, this needs to go down in Detroit sports history just like the 08 lions
Old 31 December 2023, 07:56 AM   #15
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Let's hope not, this needs to go down in Detroit sports history just like the 08 lions
Monster!!
Old 31 December 2023, 08:44 AM   #16
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I have a hard time watching sport these days. Every other ad is about sports betting.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2023, 11:21 AM   #17
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
It looks like the streak is over for the Pistons.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2023, 10:59 PM   #18
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
It looks like the streak is over for the Pistons.
3 points away from making history... Sad
Old 31 December 2023, 11:00 PM   #19
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Monster!!
We were so close!!!
Old 1 January 2024, 03:58 AM   #20
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Haha, all good things must pass I suppose
Old 11 January 2024, 06:07 AM   #21
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Well, Draymond Green has been reinstated after his most recent suspension so we can once again focus on the 2023-24 race that really matters:

Draymond suspensions : 3
Pistons wins : 3
Old 12 January 2024, 11:29 AM   #22
visualplane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Draymond Green has made the NBA unwatchable.
visualplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 01:33 PM   #23
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualplane View Post
Draymond Green has made the NBA unwatchable.
A thoroughly unlikeable player imo. Aside from his cheap shots themselves, his lack of accountability and (especially over the last while) attempts to build up some kind of "poor Draymond" narrative (which I really think is how he views it) are especially grating. I lost track of all the "I's" and "me's" in his latest diatribe about how Adam Silver talked him out of retiring.