The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 April 2024, 04:33 AM   #1
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Nautilus or Day Date?

I was at a venue in NY last night where I saw more Natiluses of various kinds than I have ever seen in my life. From millennials to older folks like me (Gen X). I was amazed and while I saw people wearing vintage Daytonas, some other Rolexes I didn’t see many Day Dates. I was fairly certain I was the only one wearing a Platinum Day Date in the entire place. It got me wondering which is the nicer to wear…I have been wearing my Day Date almost exclusively while my Nautilises have been at home. Which would you rather wear? A Nautilus or a Day Date?

I posed this question in the Rolex forum as well. What strikes me is that when I first fell in love with the Nautilus, it was a distinctly unpopular watch. No one really wanted them. For me it was the ability to buy a PP that had a bracelet and could go anywhere and do anything. Last night it struck me as flex in a way I had never seen. Almost in a way that made me want to run out and get an under the radar strap complication, like the 5059 I used to own or the 5970 I should never have traded. Meanwhile, since I got my DD 40 I have gotten more compliments on it from non watch people than any other watch I have ever owned.

I still love all of them but was curious how people felt here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0910.jpeg (140.0 KB, 815 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0747.jpeg (109.3 KB, 824 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0742.jpeg (113.3 KB, 814 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1211.jpeg (85.2 KB, 818 views)

Last edited by Daytonaman799; 8 April 2024 at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Pictures didn’t upload
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:10 AM   #2
thetahoess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
I was at a venue in NY last night where I saw more Natiluses of various kinds than I have ever seen in my life. From millennials to older folks like me (Gen X). I was amazed and while I saw people wearing vintage Daytonas, some other Rolexes I didn’t see many Day Dates. I was fairly certain I was the only one wearing a Platinum Day Date in the entire place. It got me wondering which is the nicer to wear…I have been wearing my Day Date almost exclusively while my Nautilises have been at home. Which would you rather wear? A Nautilus or a Day Date?

I posed this question in the Rolex forum as well. What strikes me is that when I first fell in love with the Nautilus, it was a distinctly unpopular watch. No one really wanted them. For me it was the ability to buy a PP that had a bracelet and could go anywhere and do anything. Last night it struck me as flex in a way I had never seen. Almost in a way that made me want to run out and get an under the radar strap complication, like the 5059 I used to own or the 5970 I should never have traded. Meanwhile, since I got my DD 40 I have gotten more compliments on it from non watch people than any other watch I have ever owned.

I still love all of them but was curious how people felt here.
5270 first, then platty day date, then 5712, then 5726 for me. However you're asking about 5970. I actually maybe a heretic, but I prefer 5270. So it's hard for me to say if I'd put the 5970 > Platinum day date. The platinum day date is just so, so good.

B
thetahoess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:25 AM   #3
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahoess View Post
5270 first, then platty day date, then 5712, then 5726 for me. However you're asking about 5970. I actually maybe a heretic, but I prefer 5270. So it's hard for me to say if I'd put the 5970 > Platinum day date. The platinum day date is just so, so good.

B
I like the 5270 as well and might buy one to replace my 5970 long gone….
Old 8 April 2024, 05:29 AM   #4
APhound
"TRF" Member

I don’t know if this is helpful but I have 5270j, 5711 white and platinum day date and wear the dd the most by far. The nautilus the least. I’m 35 for whatever that’s worth
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:31 AM   #5
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Nautilus but that DD is my favorite DD ! You have great taste.
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 05:50 AM   #6
thetahoess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
I don’t know if this is helpful but I have 5270j, 5711 white and platinum day date and wear the dd the most by far. The nautilus the least. I’m 35 for whatever that’s worth
The thing to me is, as wonderful as Patek, Vacheron, Lange, are, there's just something easy to wear about Rolex. I think the Day Date 40 line (in white metal) is one of the most under-rated watches in the entire luxury game.

Any true collector needs a dress Patek, and I would argue a Grand Complications of some sort. To me the 5270 is perhaps a top 5 all-time design of any watch. But man those platinum/glacier Day Dates are frikken awesome.

Anyone else excited for Watches and Wonders???

B
thetahoess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 06:53 AM   #7
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halothane View Post
Nautilus but that DD is my favorite DD ! You have great taste.
Thank you very much
Old 8 April 2024, 07:41 AM   #8
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wow, you're right! Lotsa love here!
Old 8 April 2024, 07:46 AM   #9
Patekfinder
Banned

Nautilus or Day Date?

I’ve owned many Pateks including the 5270/1R, 5270G, Nautilus 5726/1A, among others… my yellow gold 41mm Day Date II has always gotten the most wear and is what I wear both daily and on special occasions.
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 12:28 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I asked my AD for the white 5726/1a while it was still in production. I waited for a couple of years and the white dial was replaced by the blue dial which I am lucky to own today. If the choice was between the white and the blue 5726/1a, I would have chosen the blue given my preference for the colour. That said, given the 3 choices you listed, I would have gone for the 5726 and 5712 in that order. I'm Gen X but I have never owned a Daydate nor intending to add one anytime soon. I do like the SS Daytona but I would still choose the Nautilus over the Daytona.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 04:55 PM   #11
dlmocdm
"TRF" Member

That white 5726 is gorgeous. That would be my first choice.
dlmocdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 08:19 PM   #12
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I've come to watches in the late 2000's and studied this field a lot during the first years, discovering indies as well. The Nautilus, I wasn't fond of from the very first pictures, was love at first sight when I put a 5711 for the first time on my wrist. Like for cars, I enjoy them for me, a very self-centered approach. The mechanics is a significant part for me, aside of the aesthetics. Hence, in a world of heavy marketting, things may change but I've always ignored the "outside noise".

Hence, I got what I found comfortable or appealing mechanically wise (which aren't always comfortable!) and aesthetically pleasing of course.

If you enjoy your Nautilus for its virtues, don't bother with what the others are wearing. If you experience this annoying feeling too often (meaning it's something important for you), then find something else (like your day-date).

However, as I can't wear them anywhere where I live, I have my Speedy I feel completely in-line with as a discreet everyday wear.

But I will certainly not run away because people are wearing the same watch than mine (especially if it's during rare events). Personally, I come across a random person wearing a luxury watch (aside of Rolex) maybe once or twice a year...

The Nautilus and Royal Oak are exceptionnal watches (to me), especially in the thinner versions.

About your 5970, many of us have sold watches they would like to wear again (especially since we know their value have skyrocketted :p). But I remember when I did that I didn't enjoy them anymore and was aiming for something else. Come back to the 5970, it's an excellent choice but I'm not sure it was a bad one selling it if that was your mood at the time.

People are moving from a style of watches to the other. And there are far more Rolexes in the wild than Pateks (all depends on the people you're meeting). Maybe the next big thing will be colored gold bracelet watches? Or back to strap watches for casual wearing (especially with the new material available like suede, fabric, resin, etc...). Even if I think a RO or a Nautilus can come through all the periods, are keepers, I believe (and experienced) that any watch can fit that roll. A day-date, a speedy, a Calatrava, you name it :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2024, 08:26 PM   #13
bob101
"TRF" Member

The 5970 above anything else there however the 5712 of the rest. So comfortable on the wrist (similar to 5711) and nice complications. The 5726 is nice but thicker and heavier on the wrist. Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t want to wear sports pieces such as nautilus anymore and even the 5970 would be more under the radar than those to a lot of non watch people.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 01:59 PM   #14
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
I have the same DD40 and also the 5712. I would hate to have to choose!
The 5712 is a beautiful and special piece and watch aficionados go bananas over it if they notice, but I love the weight of the DD40 and it's also beautiful.
These days I wear the DSSD and DD40 regularly and save the 5712 for special occasions as it dresses up so well.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 02:27 PM   #15
DonLee
"TRF" Member

That Platinum DD is nice, but it’s really heavy, and can’t hold a candle to the 5270 nor the 5726
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 11:29 PM   #16
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I’m not a Nautilus fan. I much prefer the RO, but sold my 15202OR when values got crazy, as I wasn’t wearing it a lot.

I still have a 36mm YG DD and the same platinum DD40 as you. They get worn, usually, when they come on vacation paired with a strap watch. The DD’s, or a diver from AP, Blancpain, Omega do the pool / ocean duty.

Day to day, I wear complicated watches on straps. 5270, 5370, 5930, Lange, etc. I understand why you’d miss the 5970. If I were in your shoes, I’d definitely want another 5970, 5270, etc.

To the original question, DD40 over Nautilus for me, for sure.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 04:29 PM   #17
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I prefer the 5712 Nautilus to the DD in both looks and technical accomplishment. The 5712 is amazingly-thin for such a complicated watch.

IMO, the DD is too similar-looking to a DateJust to be a really special watch, and the Rolex movement isn't anywhere near the same league as the PP.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 09:31 PM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure it’s a fair comparison as very different watches. With that said, my DD40 (wg/olive) barely got any wrist time so I sold it. Just wasn’t for me. Still have my 5712a and still love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:45 PM   #19
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

too many want the nautilus just because of hype not because it is the better looking watch. If you genuinely wanted it when it was unpopular, that is a better assessment.
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:36 AM   #20
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

FWIW, I bought the 5712 in 2011, and acquired a s/h platinum DD in 2018. The DD lasted two years, and I don't miss it.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote