The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 April 2015, 03:51 PM   #1
1928 Prince
"TRF" Member

Frustration Setting, Timing New 5140 (calibre 240Q)

I love my first Patek, a new 5140-R-011 with the latest 2014 opaline silver dial, purchased 12 days ago from an AD. It's been my dream to own a PP perpetual calendar for many years, and, after the price drop, plus a generous discount, I bit. Now that it's been on my wrist for 12 days, I decided to reset the time, which seemed slow by between 5 and 10 seconds. I certainly have no complaint about the accuracy, but setting a watch without running seconds and without a hack is proving a monumental pain.

First, I've noted that my dial seems not perfectly calibrated. The minute marker dots appear not to be uniform in their placement, and some are 5 or more seconds off, when compared to others? Given that problem, I decided it was necessary to time the watch just as the minute hand centered over the very same minute dot each hour.

But, even using a loupe, it's difficult to see exactly when it's centered over the tiny dot. I then decided that the most accurate way to set the time was to measure from when the minute hand passed over the valley between the double stick marker at 12, using a loupe to check that I had it synchronized with the Atomic Clock app on my IPhone. But, another problem in setting is that, when you depress the crown, there is a slight lag before the minute hand begins moving, complicating accurate setting.

The bottom line is that it took me four tries (four hours) to get my watch set and in sync with the Atomic Clock.

Have any of you experienced gentlemen devised a better method of setting, and checking the accuracy, of a calibre 240Q movement, or any other lacking running seconds and hack? Or, am I just being too obsessive, and the obsession will pass in time (pardon the pun)?

Thanks for any insights.
1928 Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2015, 09:48 PM   #2
waspy1
Banned

Wow, you are determined. I don't own a pc so can't comment on how this is done. I have vintage watches and a pp5711 with no hack though and the seconds can be slowed or stopped by putting a little bit of reverse pressure as if about to wind the minutes back a little bit. Perhaps this works on the 5140? But to be honest, none of my watches are ever set so accurately that it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2015, 12:35 AM   #3
1928 Prince
"TRF" Member

I do value a really accurate watch, but I'm pretty relaxed with my vintage pieces, and tolerate it if my newer watches are within COS standards. But, as my 5140 is brand new, and my first Patek, I wanted to see just how accurate it is. It doesn't disappoint in it's accuracy, but that's when I discovered just how difficult it is to set, not having a second hand or hacking mechanism. I hadn't thought to try the slight counterclockwise pressure; I know that works on some watches (particularly if they're almost wound down). I'll give that a try the next time I set it.
Old 6 April 2015, 11:03 AM   #4
soundserious
"TRF" Member

You're late for April Fools.
Alternatively Apple will be coming out with a very nice watch you may be interested in.
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2015, 12:06 PM   #5
1928 Prince
"TRF" Member

I think you're in the wrong forum. Comedy Central may have a site.
Old 6 April 2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
That's the price you pay for buying a discounted watch.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2015, 01:44 PM   #7
1928 Prince
"TRF" Member

No regrets here.