The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 January 2024, 08:41 AM   #31
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm82 View Post
Thanks but this actually confirms it was made by Rolex.
Milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 08:42 AM   #32
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
I wouldn’t pay that much for that engraving.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 09:03 AM   #33
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I used to work with an old motorcycle salesman who often said, “There’s an ass for every seat.”

Someone is going to buy that, ain’t gonna be me.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 09:10 AM   #34
saxo3
"TRF" Member

35k for a caseback? Sounds high…

That is an interesting thread about authenticity, the seller does not provide any proof.

Apart from the price, the main question is if Rolex has produced such 123 watches with these special casebacks. I think that is possible. The limited edition number xxx/123 is engraved on the caseback. But would Rolex not also indicate such a limited edition watch at another place, somehow, either directly engraved onto the watch case or written on the guarantee card?

I wonder what would happen if such a watch would be sent to Rolex HQ for a service of its movement.

Looking in more detail at the caseback engraving I think it is (very) well done. Here a better caseback photo from a watch offered and sold by Phillips in June 2020.

Source: https://www.phillips.com/detail/rolex/CH080120/76
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 09:20 AM   #35
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Can't believe the classic Sea King thread is 10 years old now:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=340017
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 09:32 AM   #36
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshake View Post
Thanks but this actually confirms it was made by Rolex.

I had a read through the thread and the OP on that one states;

“The case backs were done by Rolex but I believe a UK engraver, that was there business as I was simply supplied with the complete watches”

So whilst the watches are delivered in new condition and engraved, it sounds like they are not engraved at or by Rolex but rather a third party which Rolex engages with.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 09:43 AM   #37
Patekfinder
Banned

This is not a storied or historically relevant military unit, so the engraving really has no value unless you were in that unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 09:48 AM   #38
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
I had a read through the thread and the OP on that one states;

“The case backs were done by Rolex but I believe a UK engraver, that was there business as I was simply supplied with the complete watches”

So whilst the watches are delivered in new condition and engraved, it sounds like they are not engraved at or by Rolex but rather a third party which Rolex engages with.
Interesting. Read through the first post, the statement is Rolex agreed to provide the watches for the special purpose. Other manufacturers were considered and at least one refused, AP. If Rolex is not the provider then Rolex would never have been sought to agree initially. That means Rolex is the manufacturer, however it was made before delivery and sale.
Old 28 January 2024, 09:56 AM   #39
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
No no no
Old 28 January 2024, 09:59 AM   #40
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfunk View Post
Can't believe the classic Sea King thread is 10 years old now:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=340017
Wow, thanks! I hadn’t an idea.

Of course that thread is 10 years old and now we are talking about examples of the watch being sold by auction, Phillips, and reputable dealers. I think the question has moved on from “does this watch legitimately exist”
Old 28 January 2024, 10:02 AM   #41
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
I agree that the watch is worth what someone will pay for it. Take the caseback off and it is just another Rolex. I do not agree that the engraving is poor, instead I think it is a poor picture. If you squint hard enough, it could possibly be very nice engraving with strong relief. I appreciate this type of engraving and find it nicer than thin laser engraving.
fozzyf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 10:06 AM   #42
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
That is an interesting thread about authenticity, the seller does not provide any proof.

Apart from the price, the main question is if Rolex has produced such 123 watches with these special casebacks. I think that is possible. The limited edition number xxx/123 is engraved on the caseback. But would Rolex not also indicate such a limited edition watch at another place, somehow, either directly engraved onto the watch case or written on the guarantee card?

I wonder what would happen if such a watch would be sent to Rolex HQ for a service of its movement.

Looking in more detail at the caseback engraving I think it is (very) well done. Here a better caseback photo from a watch offered and sold by Phillips in June 2020.

Source: https://www.phillips.com/detail/rolex/CH080120/76
I should not have taken so long to reply or refreshed quicker. What he said (^^^) about the engraving.
fozzyf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 12:40 PM   #43
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I have to believe, that if real, it came with some type of special documentation. The engraving looks sloppy to me. I’d be suspicious of its authenticity.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s European Watches. It’s legit. Also is unworn and has all the paperwork and stickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 01:48 PM   #44
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshake View Post
I came across a listing for a Rolex GMT 116710LN “Sea King” which apparently was only made in 123 examples and only sold to servicemen in the UK. The watch is identical to a normal 116710LN except for the caseback, which has an engraving of the helicopter known as the Sea King. There is no special reference number, nothing on the warranty card to distinguish it from a run of the mill GMT LN, just a basic machine engraving. The asking price is 50k USD.

Am I alone in thinking this seems like an extremely high premium?
It's absurd. What a joke.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2024, 11:29 PM   #45
prozac51
"TRF" Member

Almost spat my milk when I read 50k. That’s a ridiculous price unless there’s some seriously proven provenance with that particular watch.
prozac51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 10:04 AM   #46
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac51 View Post
Almost spat my milk when I read 50k. That’s a ridiculous price unless there’s some seriously proven provenance with that particular watch.
I need some Prozac after reading the price,Prozac.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2024, 10:24 AM   #47
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozac51 View Post

Did I mention it was owned by John Voight?
Old 2 February 2024, 10:40 AM   #48
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I hope it is on consignment so the bulk of the sale price goes to the veteran who served Her Majesty and gained the right to buy it originally.

As for collectors, this is unworn, limited (they will make no more) - it is a bargain.

Consider the $200K+ being asked for the Le Mans 126529 that goes for $51.4K and can be produced in the thousands over the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 05:11 AM   #49
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I hope it is on consignment so the bulk of the sale price goes to the veteran who served Her Majesty and gained the right to buy it originally.

As for collectors, this is unworn, limited (they will make no more) - it is a bargain.

Consider the $200K+ being asked for the Le Mans 126529 that goes for $51.4K and can be produced in the thousands over the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not sure it’s a bargain in comparison to the LeMans. My issue is that it has no relation to Rolex history, unlike the LeMans which Rolex is involved with and the counters refer back to the Paul Newman style. Big difference.

Yes, the watch is rare but lots of things are rare but not worth 50k. Personally I wouldn’t place much value on the etching.
Old 3 February 2024, 10:16 AM   #50
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

I happened to have watched this interview of the collector who did the project behind this watch. It does sound like the Rolex London AD work with him to create those watches. He has a more unique gold GMT.

https://youtu.be/JNxEf9oaOro?si=KXISKctoKvHKFey7

I thought he sounded genuine, even though he clearly understood the potential uniqueness is a value driver. The project has special meaning to him being a service man, but maybe less so than other.