The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2023, 02:03 AM   #31
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofboats View Post
I think a complete GS collection would be a 9F quartz, a high-beat (i.e. SLGHxxxx), and a spring drive (i.e. SLGAxxxx or the old snowflake).
I agree. I've always liked the 44mm GS GMTs' looks and now that I own one, I'd like to add another.
If I do, it will have to be a hi-beat auto. Just can’t make up my mind between the sbgj239 and the sbgj237 but either one I'd absolutely love to own.
Then I'm adding back a Rolex GMT or ExpII, which can be vintage.
As for the GS quartz I'm undecided. I'd probably get my hands on a dual impulse escapement GMT first if one is ever released.
Old 15 August 2023, 02:57 AM   #32
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Anyone claiming to know watches, who does not know Grand Seiko, doesn’t know watches.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 10:03 AM   #33
watchboynyc
"TRF" Member

If you know, you know! That's how I feel about Grand Seiko. I own two and i love them, I own a hi beat and a spring drive GMT.

I love that fact that it's under the radar and can wear it anywhere without any issues.
watchboynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 05:45 AM   #34
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
Anyone claiming to know watches, who does not know Grand Seiko, doesn’t know watches.
Exactly! So many uninformed people who claim to be into watches now days. I'm always surprised how many only buy from a single brand (you know which brand) and are completely blind to everything else out there. I guess that's good for us cause GS is like a hidden gem for those who know... Just don't listen to the ignorance
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 12:10 AM   #35
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Brand perception, bias and snobbery

Anybody watch the UFC fight last night? Rogan was sporting a GS. Trying to find a screenshot now

Can’t find a good screenshot but it looks like he was wearing this guy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 05:05 AM   #36
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Brasole View Post
Anybody watch the UFC fight last night? Rogan was sporting a GS. Trying to find a screenshot now

Can’t find a good screenshot but it looks like he was wearing this guy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, here you go..

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Watch-Geek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 08:39 AM   #37
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I am new to watch collecting and I want to add a Grand Seiko to my collection.

My question is, if I buy one what best represents the brand, what are the attributes that define GS?

Are the known for the steel or titanium cases?

While Seiko is known for pioneering the quartz movement, is the quartz, spring drive or mechanical the one to get?

Looking at their website, they have so many models it is hard to decide. I want to narrow some of the characteristics to what GS is best known for to narrow the field. Thanks in advance.
As I do my research, it seems the Spring Drive is what makes GS unique/special.

The models I like are:
SBGA 407 or 293
SBGE 295 (44mm may be too big)
SBGE 255 (bezel doesn't rotate)

Once I have a Spring Drive, I will probably look at a mechanical drive GS.

The models I like are:
SBGK015
SGGH213
SBGJ237 (44mm may be too big)

Honestly, I can't get my mind around another quartz watch, beyond the Cartier Tank I have from the 90s. Given how great the GS watches are in the other two versions, I may not be missing much...

Thoughts?
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 09:29 AM   #38
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

Honestly, I can't get my mind around another quartz watch, beyond the Cartier Tank I have from the 90s. Given how great the GS watches are in the other two versions, I may not be missing much...

Thoughts?
I already posted earlier in this thread about my thoughts on 9F quartz, but see this Jack Forster article, too: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f
Old 21 August 2023, 04:05 PM   #39
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
As I do my research, it seems the Spring Drive is what makes GS unique/special.

The models I like are:
SBGA 407 or 293
SBGE 295 (44mm may be too big)
SBGE 255 (bezel doesn't rotate)

Once I have a Spring Drive, I will probably look at a mechanical drive GS.

The models I like are:
SBGK015
SGGH213
SBGJ237 (44mm may be too big)

Thoughts?
It was the Spring Drive technology that caught my attention first, then the SD GMTs design.
But the 44mm size put me off. I was wrong. Those may be 44mm watches but rest assured, they don't wear huge on 6,75" wrists and above.

I would encourage you to try one. I know I should have had a long time ago and not missed out on some pretty awesome pieces. But still, better late than never.

GS SD + Hi Beat is THE pair to own.

As for the 9F quartz ones, Adam has shared an article that sums it all up. You could always add one of your fancy down the road, without really breaking the bank.
Old 21 August 2023, 04:45 PM   #40
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Brand perception, bias and snobbery

Some people are idiots. Seiko is a great brand with a storied history. I have a large Seiko collection, of both vintage and current models. Unfortunately, I don’t have any Grand Seikos, but have many really nice mid tier watches. My favorite is a LE Seiko 140th Anniversary Baby Marinemaster, with a green dial. I also love my Alpinist collection.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:47 AM   #41
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Some people are idiots. Seiko is a great brand with a storied history. I have a large Seiko collection, of both vintage and current models. Unfortunately, I don’t have any Grand Seikos, but have many really nice mid tier watches. My favorite is a LE Seiko 140th Anniversary Baby Marinemaster, with a green dial. I also love my Alpinist collection.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kat, revisit Sun. 8/20 WRUW thread post #55 please. Personal message left for you. Thanks!
Janet
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 03:00 PM   #42
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

After owning dozens and dozens of autos, I’ve sold all of them*, including several Rolex and Tudor watches, for quartz. The 9F is horologically interesting and very accurate.

I love having watches that say “Seiko” on the dial. Not only is it a storied brand, but it totally flies under the radar. I was having dinner with a friend tonight, and while I was admiring his 6139 “Bruce Lee”, we both agreed that the Seiko subtlety is nice, especially considering he was once held down by a gang in London who stole his Submariner, and I was once car-jacked. We were both lucky to escape with our lives, so we’re a little weary of attention.

*I did keep my dad’s old Omega DeVille that needs a service
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8616.jpeg (91.1 KB, 86 views)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2023, 03:47 PM   #43
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
After owning dozens and dozens of autos, I’ve sold all of them*, including several Rolex and Tudor watches, for quartz. The 9F is horologically interesting and very accurate.

I love having watches that say “Seiko” on the dial. Not only is it a storied brand, but it totally flies under the radar. I was having dinner with a friend tonight, and while I was admiring his 6139 “Bruce Lee”, we both agreed that the Seiko subtlety is nice, especially considering he was once held down by a gang in London who stole his Submariner, and I was once car-jacked. We were both lucky to escape with our lives, so we’re a little weary of attention.

*I did keep my dad’s old Omega DeVille that needs a service
I'm gradually heading in that direction. Thinking about getting a clear caseback from Japan, too, for one of mine so I can admire that 9F movement finishing from time to time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9F-quartz-movement.jpg (256.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 9f.jpg (76.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 24 August 2023, 12:03 AM   #44
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'm gradually heading in that direction. Thinking about getting a clear caseback from Japan, too, for one of mine so I can admire that 9F movement finishing from time to time.
That would be a cool little mod.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 02:03 AM   #45
IGY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
This has the potential of becoming a polarizing thread but since this is a watch forum I'd like to share my experience and observations hoping for some civil interaction.

I recently acquired a Grand Seiko 44mm GMT. Always loved the design and features, never had tried one. Bought sight unseen and ended up loving it. In all honesty, it is the only watch I've evet had that gets noticed and complimented almost on daily basis. I am mostly not the one to strike a conversation so I casually thank or nod yet there's always the curious one asking what brand it is.

I always respond that's a Seiko and there's where it gets awkward. Those who know me well are aware of my watch fetish so naturally want to know more.

My employer was the first one to notice and was shocked that a Seiko can be of "decent quality" lol.

Had a couple more chaps asking to handle the watch which I was happy to oblige. Which in turn raised the question about the "Grand" prefix.
After some explaining on my part, one just sighed, (almost in relief of some sort?) while handing it back but the other one tossed it across the table scoffing and ranting how Seiko is of no value.
The same person bashed on Datejusts because "they look like Seikos" while wearing knock-offs himself. As for myself, I wouldn't toss one's Q&Q across the table.

Again, not seeking reassurance here, I couldn't care less how someone feels about a watch I'm wearing. Just sharing my experience which sadly serves to confirm how much the name on a dial matters when it comes to sentiment and bias and how the latter, combined with snobbery drive demand for certain brands while dictating the baggage for others to carry.
My Japanese friends were quite excited when they saw me wearing a Grand Seiko. Lots of "ohhs" and "ahhs" and big smiles. Can't say I usually care what anyone else thinks, but I admit that did quite enjoy seeing their surprise.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote