The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 June 2009, 05:40 AM   #1
FLAJIM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub
Not Happy with Rolex NYC RSC

since the day I got my SD it has run fast. I was told to let it settle in. It is 10 months old now and it is picking up 7 sec every 12 hrs. Today I went up to 5 Ave and had it checked out. The girl greeted me and told me to wait 15 mins. In about 1/2 hrs she returned with it telling me it was adjusted and all was fine. I asked why this happen and she told me if you bang or drop the watch it could knock it out of adjustment. I was a little taken back as the watch has never been dropped and looks as good as the day I got it. I went home and checked the online naval clock to see the watch was 20 sec fast. I was unhappy that the Rolex tech did set it correctly but what the hell. I set and when I rechecked it 3 Hrs later it was running 7 sec fast again. I am pissed, I wasted the day going up there for nothing.
What would you do, return next week or send it to another RSC ???? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Be Safe JIM
FLAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 05:51 AM   #2
SDDS
"TRF" Member

well thats strange.. i would go back to the service center and tell the lady exactly what is my problem and tell her that my problem was not solved before..that is when u first went there..i think u should come up witha solution to ur problem because i am afraid that they never checked ur watch.. they just tell u that they make an adjustment and thats it... so make sure about that..
good luck and tell us the results..
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 07:03 AM   #3
lawyerwatchfan
"TRF" Member

Very frustrating! I am curious though how long it takes to actually recalibrate a watch reliably. By this I mean that COSC testing takes place over an extended period of time. I'm not clear how anyone can do a careful and comprehensive recalibration in just 30 minutes. Perhaps others with technical knowledge and experience can address this issue.
lawyerwatchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 07:09 AM   #4
chu88y
Banned

Watch: SDDS
thats poor service,I would go back to the same RSC and ask what did they actually do to calibrate it.
chu88y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 07:15 AM   #5
fusebuddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMTII
That's a real drag. I received mine back from Dallas and they got it right, thankfully. I've read some posts about your same problem. Have you tried laying the watch on its side at night? I bet you have, but just thought I'd mention it. There have been many posts about this here.
fusebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 07:16 AM   #6
AIKO
"TRF" Member

That is unusual but sucks nevertheless. Take it back and ask for the manager and explain the situation-you will be taken good care of. Stuff happens sometimes.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
RSC-NY isn't what it used to be...
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Mwing
"TRF" Member

still better than rsc-hk.

there was a big news in hk recently that many ppl found out the inner surface of the bracelet (the endlink part) got stamped intentionally with numbers and letters after service, rolex hk says they would brush it out for free now but still.
Mwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 11:56 AM   #9
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAJIM View Post
since the day I got my SD it has run fast. I was told to let it settle in. It is 10 months old now and it is picking up 7 sec every 12 hrs. Today I went up to 5 Ave and had it checked out. The girl greeted me and told me to wait 15 mins. In about 1/2 hrs she returned with it telling me it was adjusted and all was fine. I asked why this happen and she told me if you bang or drop the watch it could knock it out of adjustment. I was a little taken back as the watch has never been dropped and looks as good as the day I got it. I went home and checked the online naval clock to see the watch was 20 sec fast. I was unhappy that the Rolex tech did set it correctly but what the hell. I set and when I rechecked it 3 Hrs later it was running 7 sec fast again. I am pissed, I wasted the day going up there for nothing.
What would you do, return next week or send it to another RSC ???? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Be Safe JIM
I'd trade it off for a Sea Master!!!!!!!!!!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
When you say you "checked the online naval clock" I assume you did it on a computer at home, there have been a few threads/posts recently regarding relying on a computer to accurately check time or time keeping......be wary of doing it like this....you would be far better checking timekeeping (not time) from an accurate time source you have at home, something like a cheap quartz stopwatch....set the stopwatch running on the hour and check through the day (you could use another accurate quartz clock or watch to do the same)......you may find the variation is with the website (our your access to it) rather than with the watch itself....it's definitely worth a check......see what I posted here yesterday.....http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=82545
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 04:39 AM   #11
smh223
"TRF" Member

nyc rsc is horrible...never go there...lots of stories here to back that up
smh223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 05:08 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Be Safe JIM
What time source did the RSC set your watch too when you check a watch give it a full manual wind 40 crown turns wear as normal. Set it with a reliable time source,and recheck it daily with the same check time source over a week.Then average the loss or gain over that week thats the best way to check any mechanical watch. Consistency is the most important thing with mechanical watches,but there will be some daily slight variations.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 05:18 AM   #13
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
What time source did the RSC set your watch too when you check a watch give it a full manual wind 40 crown turns wear as normal. Set it with a reliable time source,and recheck it daily with the same check time source over a week.Then average the loss or gain over that week thats the best way to check any mechanical watch. Consistency is the most important thing with mechanical watches,but there will be some daily slight variations.
Best advice I've read so far.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 07:03 AM   #14
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamone View Post
RSC-NY isn't what it used to be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh223 View Post
nyc rsc is horrible...never go there...lots of stories here to back that up
Agree 100% The NYC-RSC is the worst service center in the USA period. There was a time when they were the best, but that's a long, long time ago.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2009, 07:22 AM   #15
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Quote:

Be Safe JIM
14 seconds a day is pretty extreme for a Rolex. Even my grandfather's old pocketwatch is only +21, and that's after not being serviced for 74 years. Really should get it in sometime.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 08:09 AM   #16
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:

Be Safe JIM
I think I would send it to GENEVA !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 09:11 AM   #17
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
It's just a watch , anything man made is subject to flaws even the service of the watch itself.
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 09:20 AM   #18
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
These are not even close to the hardest watches to regulate or work on for that matter.I would find an independant watchmaker thats local to you with a parts account and a good reputation and go to them from now on.Try and deal with the actual guy thats going to be working on it.You shouldnt have a problem finding 1.I have herd the send it this RSC or that one or to Geneva so many times.I collect and deal mainly in Vintage Rolex and I would never think about sending 1 off to a RSC no way.They take too long,are way overpriced and the quality of there work is not what it used to be IMHO The only exception would be if I had an ultra rare 1 like a milsub and i wanted further proof of its authenticity would I personaly take it in for an ESTIMATE.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 11:40 AM   #19
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
You guys are freaking me out. Stop it.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 11:57 AM   #20
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

perhaps there's a Rolex AD somewhere in The City who can look at it?

Old 13 August 2009, 11:59 AM   #21
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

I heard that one of the RSCs in California is the best.

///.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang427 View Post
Agree 100% The NYC-RSC is the worst service center in the USA period. There was a time when they were the best, but that's a long, long time ago.
Old 13 August 2009, 12:05 PM   #22
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

I've heard that the Dallas RSC is another good service center.

/.//.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusebuddy View Post
That's a real drag. I received mine back from Dallas and they got it right, thankfully. I've read some posts about your same problem. Have you tried laying the watch on its side at night? I bet you have, but just thought I'd mention it. There have been many posts about this here.
Old 13 August 2009, 12:06 PM   #23
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Maybe the mail-in service issues are handled differently?

I mailed to RSC NY for +7 regulation. After a full service, it's now ±0 ~ +2.

I noticed the rotating bezel doesn't seem as tight as before,
and mailed it back yesterday. I'll post results and turn-around time.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 12:08 PM   #24
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

Tell them that you're going to switch to Omega if they don't fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKO View Post
That is unusual but sucks nevertheless. Take it back and ask for the manager and explain the situation-you will be taken good care of. Stuff happens sometimes.
Old 13 August 2009, 12:18 PM   #25
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Maybe the mail-in service issues are handled differently?

I mailed to RSC NY for +7 regulation. After a full service, it's now ±0 ~ +2.

I noticed the rotating bezel doesn't seem as tight as before,
and mailed it back yesterday. I'll post results and turn-around time.
Glad to hear it Sperry.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 02:46 PM   #26
MK25toLife
"TRF" Member

I have taken my GMT IIC there on like 2-3 separate occasions b/c it ran (runs) fast, each time I got the same answer "we tested it and it's fine". I even left it over night once and they said the same thing. But the thing is, when I take it home, sure it enough it runs 30-40 seconds fast, at this point I don't even care anymore, I gave up on them. Their service is terrible. I've had my watch for almost a year and a half, maybe I might give them one last shot, I can't deal with it though.
MK25toLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 09:30 PM   #27
Howie
"TRF" Member

I took my new GMTII to RCS NY as it was running 10 seconds fast. They asked me to wait 15 minutes also, and when I got it back it was + 1 seconds. I guess you just had some bad luck, I would take it back and ask them to regulate it again.

Look at it this way, can you think of any other brand that will let you walk into their service center from the street, and regulate your watch within 15 - 30 minutes while you wait? All the other brands I know make you send the watch in, and it takes weeks to get it back...
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 09:59 PM   #28
Clay
Banned

I live on the EAST coast, but for years took the time and trouble to send my watches to the WEST coast to Rolex of Beverly Hills, CA......It was a sad day when they closed up shop....Need I say more....
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 10:34 PM   #29
Moe99

Watch: President Day Date
Is this normal?

My Daydate 2 is a 1 month old and is losing 65 seconds within a seven day's period. Can the watch be adjusted better than that? I don't like having to adjust the watch every week. I'm a freak when it comes to the correct time so I prefer if this can be calibrated more precisely.
Kris.
Moe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2009, 12:05 AM   #30
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
You guys are freaking me out. Stop it.
Why? Did you send something up there? Hopefully not your DRSD!!

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote