The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 20 November 2016, 10:14 AM   #1
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
1 Daytona, 2 Years, 700 Posts later...

And I'm still head-over-heels in LOVE.
DISCLAIMER: This is a story review. If you want the tech'iest part, scroll down to:
Post #701

Ref. 116520 white dial

It has been just over two years since I decided to make the single largest purchase of my life. I drove an hour in LA traffic to get to my AD straight after 8 hours at the hammer. I walked out with a large smile, an empty wallet and a brand new 2014 SS Rolex Daytona.

Fast forward two years and I must admit...I have formed a bond with this watch that I only share with one other inanimate object: my electric guitar. At first, I was very cautious about my watch. I was uncomfortable wearing something 'so expensive' I was anxious about what people would think, I was nervous about damaging it. But then the UNSPEAKABLE happened: my first scratch! It was a doooozie, alright. Direct hit onto a glass partition in my office, causing a fantastic notch on 6'-side link #1, just below the lug.

After the dust settled I noticed I was still alive, I didn't have to toss out my watch yet, and I still had my dignity (sans a single silent tear in the break room), so I decided to enjoy my watch a little more--adventurously. Since that time, I have taken my Daytona on cross-country road trips, interstate bike treks, beach days, weekend campouts, day hikes, plane rides, club nights, jet skiing, wakeboarding, and basically any day-to-day activity where I am required to have arms. The only place I refuse to wear my Rolex is at the gym...just..no. So, naturally, I don't go to the gym

:________HERE_______:
After everything this watch and I have gone through together, I have always found my Daytona astonishingly comfortable on the wrist. My break in period I had to learn to take it off and let my wrist breathe. Also taught myself to bathe it every week or so to prevent getting a rash on my seeeensitive skin, especially when I was hiking and biking with it.

Contrary to popular belief, I find the Daytona incredibly easy to read; albeit trying to use a quick glance to read the chrono is damn-near impossible without memorizing the indices on the sub-dials. Luminosity is fantastic, and always seems to surprise my girlfriend by how bright it gets without force-charging it.

Long story short, I LOVE my Daytona. It has served me perfectly and will continue to do so for MANY years to come. This watch is a true testament to the quality, craftsmanship, heritage and strength of the Rolex brand.

Now for two more years, and hopefully an incoming or two...or three.

Thanks for reading, ladies and gents.... And Thanks Hans and Paul.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 10:32 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Great post and welcome to the elite Daytona club.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 07:32 AM   #3
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Great story thanks for sharing! I'm a new owner of the DaytonaC, my first Rolex and by far the most expensive purchase of my life (outside of a house). Could you please share some close ups pics of the bracelet, clasp and face? I'm really curious to see how everything looks with all those activities. I'm not planning on babying mine either and after two days already have some scratches on the PCLs and clasp. I know this is inevitable but would love to get a sense of what my baby will look like in the future. Thanks.
Nyc27000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 07:44 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Glad you're still feeling the love.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 07:47 AM   #5
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
great story and a amazing watch (I know what you mean!)
Old 21 November 2016, 08:16 PM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice write-up
Old 30 November 2016, 04:28 AM   #7
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc27000 View Post
Great story thanks for sharing! I'm a new owner of the DaytonaC, my first Rolex and by far the most expensive purchase of my life (outside of a house). Could you please share some close ups pics of the bracelet, clasp and face? I'm really curious to see how everything looks with all those activities. I'm not planning on babying mine either and after two days already have some scratches on the PCLs and clasp. I know this is inevitable but would love to get a sense of what my baby will look like in the future. Thanks.
Check my 'Daytona Under a Loupe' post:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ighlight=loupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Glad you're still feeling the love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex4711 View Post
great story and a amazing watch (I know what you mean!)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Nice write-up
Thank you! I feel like there is always more to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Great post and welcome to the elite Daytona club.
It has been a fantastic two years.

Old 30 November 2016, 12:51 PM   #8
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Great mini review!
roadie1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2016, 10:43 PM   #9
regnant
"TRF" Member

Nice review but needs photographs to top it up
Old 1 December 2016, 11:50 AM   #10
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnant View Post
Nice review but needs photographs to top it up

I did this initial review at work so I didn't have any of my photos up, so here you go everyone!

Day One!

Year One!

Current State of Affairs:

The Devil's in the Details...

Thanks for the kudos, everyone!!

Old 3 December 2016, 02:31 PM   #11
Recaro18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
Very nice! Just nice and clean!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2016, 02:39 AM   #12
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Beautiful watch, great photos. This is really the only Rolex that I'd consider adding, the C is the rage, but this SS white dial is the best. Enjoy it!
Old 4 December 2016, 04:23 PM   #13
AntonL
"TRF" Member

Lovely! Nice to hear your experience and good to see you are not babying it. I have my name down for the new Daytona C and can't wait till I get the call.
AntonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2016, 01:35 AM   #14
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! I really respect all that you've done with your Daytona and the case shows it. I hope I can get to that point with my C sometime too although I'm still in full on babying-it mode. The ceramic bezel should help!

Curious, after two years, is your Daytona still keeping great time? Also have you every had an issue banging one of the pushers? I banged mine the other day and right away the first thought was oh no! hopefully I didn't damage something (less worried about scratches, etc on it). I know these watches are built to take a beating but I'm still a newbie, for forgive my ignorance.
Old 6 December 2016, 04:59 AM   #15
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc27000 View Post
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! I really respect all that you've done with your Daytona and the case shows it. I hope I can get to that point with my C sometime too although I'm still in full on babying-it mode. The ceramic bezel should help!

Curious, after two years, is your Daytona still keeping great time? Also have you every had an issue banging one of the pushers? I banged mine the other day and right away the first thought was oh no! hopefully I didn't damage something (less worried about scratches, etc on it). I know these watches are built to take a beating but I'm still a newbie, for forgive my ignorance.

Thanks! My watch has kept time famously for my needs thus far. I have not tracked it with any apps, or had to perform on any life-or-death missions that would call for split second precision. The most I will really 'track' is by setting it to the timed vault locks at work, and checking if my watch syncs with posting timestamps on TRF.

As far as the pushers go I tend to keep them locked at all times, unless I want to start/stop/reset the chrono. I actually have a direct-hit scuff right on the face of the start/stop pusher; but I have NO clue when that could have happened. I was scared I had ruined my watch once because I left the pushers unscrewed when washing the watch. A quick paranoid TRF posting cleared that up!

Old 6 December 2016, 05:02 AM   #16
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Great write-up n pics
Old 6 December 2016, 05:10 AM   #17
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
great post

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2016, 05:58 AM   #18
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrismanX View Post
Thanks! My watch has kept time famously for my needs thus far. I have not tracked it with any apps, or had to perform on any life-or-death missions that would call for split second precision. The most I will really 'track' is by setting it to the timed vault locks at work, and checking if my watch syncs with posting timestamps on TRF.

As far as the pushers go I tend to keep them locked at all times, unless I want to start/stop/reset the chrono. I actually have a direct-hit scuff right on the face of the start/stop pusher; but I have NO clue when that could have happened. I was scared I had ruined my watch once because I left the pushers unscrewed when washing the watch. A quick paranoid TRF posting cleared that up!

Awesome, here's to many more years of enjoyment!
Old 6 December 2016, 07:38 AM   #19
Adamk
Banned

Watch: 116710
Great post, thanks for sharing
Adamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 02:39 PM   #20
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Rolex Daytona

I have recently purchased a Rolex Daytona 116503 I part exchanged a Rolex Sub 116613LB which was less than a year old. It was a very difficult choice I just loved the sunburst Dial on the Sub but having said that I think I made the right choice. The White glossy Dial on the Daytona is beautiful though I do miss the Glidelock of the Sub. My next Watch is going to be the Full YG Daytona. I know the S/S Daytona gets all the attention but I think the other Daytona's are a beautiful Watch in their own right. The YG Daytona is my ultimate Watch which I hope to have sometime next year. I know people find the TT & the YG Daytona a bit flashy but you could say that about the DD but of course that's not a sports Watch. For now I'm going to enjoy the TT with the crisp White Dial that would challenge any Rolex Dial
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 11:13 AM   #21
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice story and photos!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 11:01 AM   #22
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Worth a bump to show off the pictures.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 10:31 AM   #23
zen watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc
Nice story behind the watch. It’s a keeper for sure. I’m saving one for a ceramic white dial myself. Hopefully by June this year. Will most likely go through grey to get one though. Cheers mate. Wear it in good health!

P.S. I agree the thread is worth the bump.
Blro
zen watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 01:18 PM   #24
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
What’s the weight of that beauty ? It looks heavy but it is probably lighter than I thought..

Old 3 February 2020, 06:21 AM   #25
flatwhite
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Beautiful. Always happy to know of people that truly wear their watch(es).
flatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:40 PM   #26
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
So, four years later do you still have the Daytona?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:29 AM   #27
CaseandMovement
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622 Rhodium
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This is a story review. If you want the tech'iest part, scroll down to:
Post #701

Ref. 116520 white dial

It has been just over two years since I decided to make the single largest purchase of my life. I drove an hour in LA traffic to get to my AD straight after 8 hours at the hammer. I walked out with a large smile, an empty wallet and a brand new 2014 SS Rolex Daytona.

Fast forward two years and I must admit...I have formed a bond with this watch that I only share with one other inanimate object: my electric guitar. At first, I was very cautious about my watch. I was uncomfortable wearing something 'so expensive' I was anxious about what people would think, I was nervous about damaging it. But then the UNSPEAKABLE happened: my first scratch! It was a doooozie, alright. Direct hit onto a glass partition in my office, causing a fantastic notch on 6'-side link #1, just below the lug.

After the dust settled I noticed I was still alive, I didn't have to toss out my watch yet, and I still had my dignity (sans a single silent tear in the break room), so I decided to enjoy my watch a little more--adventurously. Since that time, I have taken my Daytona on cross-country road trips, interstate bike treks, beach days, weekend campouts, day hikes, plane rides, club nights, jet skiing, wakeboarding, and basically any day-to-day activity where I am required to have arms. The only place I refuse to wear my Rolex is at the gym...just..no. So, naturally, I don't go to the gym

After everything this watch and I have gone through together, I have always found my Daytona astonishingly comfortable on the wrist. My break in period I had to learn to take it off and let my wrist breathe. Also taught myself to bathe it every week or so to prevent getting a rash on my seeeensitive skin, especially when I was hiking and biking with it.

Contrary to popular belief, I find the Daytona incredibly easy to read; albeit trying to use a quick glance to read the chrono is damn-near impossible without memorizing the indices on the sub-dials. Luminosity is fantastic, and always seems to surprise my girlfriend by how bright it gets without force-charging it.

Long story short, I LOVE my Daytona. It has served me perfectly and will continue to do so for MANY years to come. This watch is a true testament to the quality, craftsmanship, heritage and strength of the Rolex brand.

Thanks for sharing friend! Lovely words. Definitely chuckled re: the silent tear.
CaseandMovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 04:35 AM   #28
Toondoug
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
2016 I sold my Sub to buy my Daytona which I love , I've just been back to my AD to order a new Sub and there's a long waiting list
Toondoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 04:45 AM   #29
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Post #701

Ref. 116520 white dial

Nice one. Photos pls! Especially that dink

alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 06:01 AM   #30
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
Nice one. Photos pls! Especially that dink

Thanks bruv!! Scroll the thread a little I post photos a little further in, and I also share another thread further in from when I took a bunch of battle scar photos under a jewelers loupe!