The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2019, 01:22 PM   #91
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Patek will probably replace it with a 5711 solid rose gold for you to delete this bad publicity. Ha.
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 02:11 PM   #92
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
OK as I have contacted Patek directly its fair they have a chance to reply, also for balanced reporting on the forum lets keep this thread open for now.

I can also see some have an interest in the outcome, I don't epect a reply though after all my £23,000 purchase is probably not important to them. I will update the thread good or bad if or when I hear from them.

I also mentioned my 5167A which broke the wrong side of the 2 year warranty period, hopefully that may help to get the rust looked at. I'm reluctant to get it fixed as I read they just strip it down, clean it and put it back together so it will probably just stop winding again.

Sometime's I wish I just stuck with Rolex and Omega they have always been no trouble.
Other than being able to sourcing you the hottest watch on planet, it doesn’t sound like your AD is doing you any favors.

I would recommend you take the watch to the Patek Salon on New Bond street. They have a service center in the basement and their team has always be very helpful in my dealings with them. They will look at your 5711. Ask for the watchmaker to come out and speak to you. Good luck!
Rsdecker971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 05:35 PM   #93
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
My experience is different, I have never had a reply from Patek regarding several questions posed. My AD still has not sent my Omega warranty card even after 2 years of asking. When I looked for a new AD my current one somehow found out and threatened to stop my orders and remove me from ALL lists. No my experience has not been as good as yours, maybe I never spent enogh $.

Do you contact through the website with after sales ?my experience is totally different they always reply very politely never any issue ,my AD is even better.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:28 PM   #94
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsdecker971 View Post
Other than being able to sourcing you the hottest watch on planet, it doesn’t sound like your AD is doing you any favors.

I would recommend you take the watch to the Patek Salon on New Bond street. They have a service center in the basement and their team has always be very helpful in my dealings with them. They will look at your 5711. Ask for the watchmaker to come out and speak to you. Good luck!
My relationship with my AD is much better now.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 06:32 PM   #95
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Do you contact through the website with after sales ?my experience is totally different they always reply very politely never any issue ,my AD is even better.
The only link I have used is at the bottom of the PP home page "contact Us" maybe that’s the wrong place.
Old 13 June 2019, 08:03 PM   #96
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Patek will probably replace it with a 5711 solid rose gold for you to delete this bad publicity. Ha.
I wouldn't take it. Seriously though this thread was NOT started to trash PP reputation. I started the tread to discuss how times and standards have slipped across the board over the years. And to seek advice on how others cope with day to day issues owning steel watches.

I have seen SS rust and own several SS vintage watches (50 years) including my grand-dads (swiss Ingersoll) that have some slight corrosion. Although I suspected an issue when I started this thread, I genuinely didn’t think the rust was that serious an issue, that’s also partly why I cleaned it (and to stop it getting worse).

As it became abundantly clear I am the only one with the issue, I reported it to the AD but as I already cleaned it there was nothing for the AD to see (more on that next). I decided yesterday it may be best to at least raise it with Patek directly, just so they and I have a record of the issue should it return, hopefully that makes sense.
Old 13 June 2019, 09:10 PM   #97
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
possibly a chemical reaction between the pins and the link ,,
irish john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 01:57 AM   #98
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish john View Post
possibly a chemical reaction between the pins and the link ,,
Others have suggested a galvanic pair, I have been looking in to this. I know SS is an alloy but I’m not sure if it would react as it’s all stainless steel. It is fascinating subject though and almost worth a rusty 5711, but not quite.

Did you see the videos posted by Mbbgysam and PJ S they are well worth a watch, thanks for sharing guy’s. This has been a good thread thanks for all the contributions, I don’t know about anyone else, but my knowledge has certainly increased.
Old 14 June 2019, 02:40 AM   #99
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
The days of true Patek quality live on in their dress watches albeit with more modern faces.

People need to realize, Patek or not, rust on a steel sports watch is entirely possible and common.

Nautilus is supposed to be $20k retail making it a "luxury" submariner.

All the hype and bedazzling doesn't change its DNA as a sportsman's watch.

Rust is easily cleaned but be careful because this bracelet shows every scratch and slight mark.
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 05:43 AM   #100
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Get a replacement...for this kind of money everything should be perfectl
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 10:01 PM   #101
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

OK, a quick update:

After cleaning the watch I stored the watch in a differnt new box and have not worn it since. Its been a few days and the rust (marks) have just started to return in the same circle patten around the fixed pins like before.

The AD asked to see it so I took the watch in yesterday. The AD was great and understanding, they saw the marks and agreed it has the colour of rust but did not know what it was. They said they never saw this before on a PP but didn't think it was rust as it had not damaged the finish and they could rub it off with the glove. They though it might be chemicals leaking out, but I did explan it was stored on its side and the marks are on the top edge. I said I'd expext any liquid to flow down with gravity not up, they said they didn't know.

They offered a sonic clean, I refused as it will also remove all the lubrication from the links. it can be returned to Patek although it will be gone a while and they have removed all the marks again. The final suggestion was taking it to the London boutique to look at, thats a pain as its hundreds of miles away, congestion and parking charges. They did offer to take it to London next time they go, I may do this but think if the rust returns it should go to PP for an opinion not a different store

I am not sure what to do now, its a good job I reported it to Patek Philippe myself. My impression from the AD is they have not reported it to PP but where just curious to see it. I'm thinking I should keep wearing the watch for a month or two and if it rusts leaving it to cause damage then taking it back. Although I am concerned PP will refuse warranty as I never cleaned or looked after the watch properly, any thoughts.
Old 15 June 2019, 10:56 PM   #102
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

This is ridiculous, return it
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 10:59 PM   #103
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Old 15 June 2019, 11:07 PM   #104
Ton91
"TRF" Member

I have this issue with my 5980/1A and 15202ST. I don’t think it a rust, but I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s the chemical from welding the pin and link before they polished it off. I use clay bar to clean those mark.
Ton91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 11:11 PM   #105
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton91 View Post
I have this issue with my 5980/1A and 15202ST. I don’t think it a rust, but I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s the chemical from welding the pin and link before they polished it off. I use clay bar to clean those mark.
I heard of polishing a watch but clay bar on watch. I am intrigued
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 11:32 PM   #106
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
They though it might be chemicals leaking out, but I did explan it was stored on its side and the marks are on the top edge. I said I'd expext any liquid to flow down with gravity not up, they said they didn't know.
I'm neither physicist, nor chemist, but couldn't it still be possible that's the explanation depending on how much pressure such chemicals are under, etc? Boiling water, and shaken beer, both come out the tops of their respective vessels.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 11:38 PM   #107
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton91 View Post
You mean like a meguairs clay bar!?
I guess to maintain that AD relationship you do what you gotta do.
Old 15 June 2019, 11:54 PM   #108
ufboy73
Banned

I am really at a loss, here...

There is clearly some sort of issue with the watch? Why again are you not simply getting the watch to PP?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 12:15 AM   #109
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
I’d get it replaced like-for-like by PP then sell it and go back to Rolex. An issue like that is too much to be acceptable with a Patek, seriously.

Hope it works out well for the OP.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 12:18 AM   #110
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Get it to the London Salon pronto. Longer you leave things and all that....
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 12:40 AM   #111
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Get it to the London Salon pronto. Longer you leave things and all that....
Correct. And tell them it’s not convenient for you to bring it in. Let them arrange shipping.

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 01:00 AM   #112
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The Nautilus line is really not that great in quality as your photos show. Does anyone know the grade of steel used? They went from screws to pins in 2014. Didn't anyone have the heart to tell them pins are strictly low end, found in very inexpensive watches because it costs more money to make and use screws? The bracelet on the Nautilus had a nice drape to it with the weight of the heavier screws throughout. Pins are lighter than the steel in the bracelet so they stay put and the result is the overall feel of the newer watches is very flimsy. But people are paying double MSRP. I never thought the 5711 was worth the old retail of 23K US.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 01:52 AM   #113
Ton91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I heard of polishing a watch but clay bar on watch. I am intrigued
Because I can't clean that mark on the link by brush so I took a small piece from clay bar to remove it. Not the entire watch.
Old 16 June 2019, 01:56 AM   #114
Ton91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
You mean like a meguairs clay bar!?
I guess to maintain that AD relationship you do what you gotta do.
Yes, clay bar for paint. Very good result for me but I never try on polished part.
Only use it to remove those marks on the side of the links.
Old 16 June 2019, 01:59 AM   #115
Peter Shore
Banned

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=29629
Peter Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 03:59 AM   #116
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
OK, a quick update:

After cleaning the watch I stored the watch in a differnt new box and have not worn it since. Its been a few days and the rust (marks) have just started to return in the same circle patten around the fixed pins like before.

The AD asked to see it so I took the watch in yesterday. The AD was great and understanding, they saw the marks and agreed it has the colour of rust but did not know what it was. They said they never saw this before on a PP but didn't think it was rust as it had not damaged the finish and they could rub it off with the glove. They though it might be chemicals leaking out, but I did explan it was stored on its side and the marks are on the top edge. I said I'd expext any liquid to flow down with gravity not up, they said they didn't know.

They offered a sonic clean, I refused as it will also remove all the lubrication from the links. it can be returned to Patek although it will be gone a while and they have removed all the marks again. The final suggestion was taking it to the London boutique to look at, thats a pain as its hundreds of miles away, congestion and parking charges. They did offer to take it to London next time they go, I may do this but think if the rust returns it should go to PP for an opinion not a different store

I am not sure what to do now, its a good job I reported it to Patek Philippe myself. My impression from the AD is they have not reported it to PP but where just curious to see it. I'm thinking I should keep wearing the watch for a month or two and if it rusts leaving it to cause damage then taking it back. Although I am concerned PP will refuse warranty as I never cleaned or looked after the watch properly, any thoughts.
I would ask your AD to order a replacement bracelet now they have seen the marks. They can fit it and return the old bracelet to Patek for investigation. I can see no downside to this for anyone involved.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 10:13 PM   #117
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I would ask your AD to order a replacement bracelet now they have seen the marks. They can fit it and return the old bracelet to Patek for investigation. I can see no downside to this for anyone involved.
Not an option apparently, replacement can only be authorised by PP directly. I am not even sure they are aware of the issue yet. I contacted them last week but only had a confirmation my message was received, but it’s only been a few days.
Old 16 June 2019, 10:18 PM   #118
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Same

I wouldn’t get any enjoyment out of wearing or holding a watch like this whatsoever.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 10:27 PM   #119
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Same

I wouldn’t get any enjoyment out of wearing or holding a watch like this whatsoever.
Me neither, but not really an opinion until rust is back again though. Checking this morning and it started going orange after 1 day now. I plan to give it 2 or 3 weeks to harden up then ask for a return, unless I hear from PP before then, but as I said before I won’t hold my breath waiting.
Old 16 June 2019, 11:19 PM   #120
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not an option apparently, replacement can only be authorised by PP directly. I am not even sure they are aware of the issue yet. I contacted them last week but only had a confirmation my message was received, but it’s only been a few days.
Your AD is always your first point of contact, you say they have seen the piece and the problem, they speak to Rhone and a new bracelet is sent by return. This is not difficult.
Are you suggesting your AD hasn’t spoken to Rhone about a new 5711 purchased in May that has a problem with the bracelet - of course they have.

Is there something you are not telling us?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote