The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 28 July 2014, 11:21 AM   #31
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Just buy a set of plastic jaw pliers from any good supply house for less than 20 bucks
Without pics, it didn't happen...

Old 29 July 2014, 03:46 AM   #32
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBaker3 View Post
Without pics, it didn't happen...

Normally I agree, but when one of the real experts weighs in I am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt...
Old 17 August 2014, 10:01 AM   #33
Dalton
TechXpert

Watch: 168000
Quote:
Guys Guys Guys you're hurting my head just buy a set of plastic jaw pliers from any good supply house for less than 20 bucks you snap the insert in till the one little side that wont go in take the pliers and roll it in takes less than 10 seconds to change an insert. Rikki
I'm with Rikki. My head hurts too. Use these to clip on the final end of the insert. On inserts with pearls insert the Pearl side first to avoid crushing it.
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2014, 01:21 AM   #34
MerrittM3
"TRF" Member

HI guys, new to the forum and a new submariner owner here. I have a question, do the new submariner ceramic bezels have the capability of swapping out to a green or pepsi bezel?
MerrittM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2014, 08:32 AM   #35
Robday
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT Coke
Quote:
OK....I admit that I have a SMALL problem with Rolexes in general and GMT's in particular.

I REALLY enjoy swapping out the inserts to take advantage of the many looks that they provide.

The little zip lock baggies help keep them sorted and inventoried !!
Pepsi, Coke, Root Beer, Blueberry, and Black Coffee are up for grabs!

I just ordered several extra bezels so the swap is even easier !!

Life is good !!

Ok, now this seems like the ideal solution. I have no problem removing & reinstalling the bezel, but am still afraid to tackle the insert.

If you don't mind, where did you order the extra bezels from, or where could I get a couple extras. I would love to change to Pepsi or Black on occasion.
Robday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2014, 08:39 AM   #36
Robday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerrittM3 View Post
HI guys, new to the forum and a new submariner owner here. I have a question, do the new submariner ceramic bezels have the capability of swapping out to a green or pepsi bezel?
So, I am new also, but I'm pretty sure that you can not change the ceramic bezel insert, and changing the whole bezel would be very costly.

I don't think you would want a Pepsi bezel on a Sub, since they are for the GMTs
Old 20 September 2014, 02:19 PM   #37
steeldreams
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OK....I admit that I have a SMALL problem with Rolexes in general and GMT's in particular.

I REALLY enjoy swapping out the inserts to take advantage of the many looks that they provide.

The little zip lock baggies help keep them sorted and inventoried !!
Pepsi, Coke, Root Beer, Blueberry, and Black Coffee are up for grabs!

I just ordered several extra bezels so the swap is even easier !!

Life is good !!

The red part of my Coke insert is faded with age (25 years), and I would like to replace the insert. Where can I get replacement inserts that fit my 16710 GMT Master II that fits without need for sore thumbs? Are those on ebay going to fit well? Thanks... you have a very pretty bench.
steeldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 11:05 PM   #38
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Hey SteelDreams:

Original GMT inserts are $250-500 used.

Try this site and test out a 16710 insert for about $20....

http://stores.ebay.com/WHOLESALEOUTL...1&_from=&_ipg=

Some of his are slightly large and will need to be lightly sanded on the edge to fit easily.

Good luck.
Old 20 September 2014, 11:09 PM   #39
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robday View Post
Ok, now this seems like the ideal solution. I have no problem removing & reinstalling the bezel, but am still afraid to tackle the insert.

If you don't mind, where did you order the extra bezels from, or where could I get a couple extras. I would love to change to Pepsi or Black on occasion.
The replacement bezels are around $50 but make sure it's for your model of GMT; they are different sizes just like the inserts...

Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSERT...item2576c23327
Old 21 September 2014, 02:16 AM   #40
Robday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The replacement bezels are around $50 but make sure it's for your model of GMT; they are different sizes just like the inserts...

Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSERT...item2576c23327

Thanks John, I'll check them out.
Old 21 September 2014, 12:38 PM   #41
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Inserts for a GMT II are readily available at any Dealer and only cost around 50 to 75 bucks, installed. You should never have to file one to fit..
Old 21 September 2014, 01:58 PM   #42
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Inserts for a GMT II are readily available at any Dealer and only cost around 50 to 75 bucks, installed. You should never have to file one to fit..
Larry:

If AD original inserts are only $50-75, why are they listed on eBay for $299-399?

Thanks,

John B
Old 22 September 2014, 06:43 AM   #43
Robday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Looks like it's time to find a new dealer then...mine won't ("can't") even order me a replacement click spring (new style) for my bezel, much less a new insert. After all, I *could* be building a complete watch from spare parts, and all I need is that one little spring to complete the project.

Their solution: send it to the RSC for a full service, which it does not need.
Old 2 February 2016, 11:50 PM   #44
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

"Looks like it's time to find a new dealer then..."

Been there, done that. I finally met the watchmaker at my local AD, and was really impressed.

I needed a click spring for my 16610 plus a pair of spring bars. He dug them out of a parts drawer and GAVE them to me! I came back the next day and brought him a pair of small hemostats (I know that ROLEX doesn't make that very useable tool)....

Life is good. Be safe.

Old 10 April 2019, 01:40 AM   #45
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Tough time installing new inserts into 4 and 5 digit Subs and GMTs

I know this is an older topic but folks will find this thread very helpful.

I picked up new 16xxx inserts (some still in their Rolex sealed blisters) and had really tough time fitting them into any of my three 5 Sub & GMT bezels While all my original and newer inserts fit fine in the 3 bezels, these new ones wouldn't.

It was like the insert was a tad too small. 80% of the insert would align and fit fine but getting the last part pushed down was brutal. My thumbs and index fingers are killing me.

Turns out quite a few folks have this problem especially with the Red/Black (Coke) insert. The Root Beer seems to also a pain.

Rikki's resolution was spot on. Plastic jaw pliers worked liked a charm on that last area.

Quote:
Guys Guys Guys you're hurting my head just buy a set of plastic jaw pliers from any good supply house for less than 20 bucks you snap the insert in till the one little side that wont go in take the pliers and roll it in takes less than 10 seconds to change an insert. Rikki
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:48 AM   #46
khalifam
"TRF" Member

So glad I found this thread, one of the reasons I purchased a 16710 was because of the option to change inserts. I've had absolutely no luck changing inserts expect being able to put the pepsi insert that came with my watch. My Black insert from my 16700 goes on 90% and that final push just does not happen! I also have a coke insert which goes in about 80% and the rest 20% I just can't do... I'm not a very hands on guy and I've already damaged one insert... Do the genuine inserts go on much easier than aftermarket ones?

Also, there's two ways of putting the insert on the bezel... The first is by putting the bezel on first and then snapping the inset on (I use this method as it's impossible (for me) to put the bezel on blindly because of that little spring) I put the bezel on and then with my Samsung S Pen nib I get the spring to sit in place...

The second option is probably the correct way where you lunatics just put the insert in the bezel and snap the bezel on with the spring sat correctly to the bezel. I find this purely impossible.

Anyway, long story short I get sore thumbs and mega frustrated :(

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
khalifam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 03:13 AM   #47
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Bezels, Inserts, and Pain

When I can't easily install inserts into into the bezel w/ my thumbs, 2 other options work for me.

1) One option is to install the insert onto the bezel when the bezel is already installed on the watch. This allows me to make sure the click spring is working properly and align the insert w/ the dial. Then use plastic rectangular pliers with electrical tape wrapped around the jaws to push down on the final area of the insert where i need help.

2) The other option I use is installing the insert (w/ plastic rectangular pliers) when the bezel is NOT installed on the watch. granted this option has minor issues like sometimes the click spring moves out of place and doesn't click when rotated. (just need to try again). the other thing w/ this method is the insert doesn't always align properly w/ the dial. however, there is a nice hint to combat this. try to see where the insert's two 12 hr triangle's top corners (when upside) is compared to the bezel's knurling. See pic below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalifam View Post
So glad I found this thread, one of the reasons I purchased a 16710 was because of the option to change inserts. I've had absolutely no luck changing inserts expect being able to put the pepsi insert that came with my watch. My Black insert from my 16700 goes on 90% and that final push just does not happen! I also have a coke insert which goes in about 80% and the rest 20% I just can't do... I'm not a very hands on guy and I've already damaged one insert... Do the genuine inserts go on much easier than aftermarket ones?

Also, there's two ways of putting the insert on the bezel... The first is by putting the bezel on first and then snapping the inset on (I use this method as it's impossible (for me) to put the bezel on blindly because of that little spring) I put the bezel on and then with my Samsung S Pen nib I get the spring to sit in place...

The second option is probably the correct way where you lunatics just put the insert in the bezel and snap the bezel on with the spring sat correctly to the bezel. I find this purely impossible.

Anyway, long story short I get sore thumbs and mega frustrated :(

Old 15 April 2019, 05:37 AM   #48
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
When I can't easily install inserts into into the bezel w/ my thumbs, 2 other options work for me.

1) One option is to install the insert onto the bezel when the bezel is already installed on the watch. This allows me to make sure the click spring is working properly and align the insert w/ the dial. Then use plastic rectangular pliers with electrical tape wrapped around the jaws to push down on the final area of the insert where i need help.

2) The other option I use is installing the insert (w/ plastic rectangular pliers) when the bezel is NOT installed on the watch. granted this option has minor issues like sometimes the click spring moves out of place and doesn't click when rotated. (just need to try again). the other thing w/ this method is the insert doesn't always align properly w/ the dial. however, there is a nice hint to combat this. try to see where the insert's two 12 hr triangle's top corners (when upside) is compared to the bezel's knurling. See pic below.

Hey, can you show me a picture of how you position the pliers to the insert/bezel.

Also, what sort of plastic pliers are we talking?

khalifam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 08:27 PM   #49
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

No matter what I used, I always wrap electrical tape around the jaws to cushion it even more plus I don’t want to scratch anything. I’m not taking choices since I’m only a DIYers and not a professional.

Something like this... I’m sure watchmakers on here could recommend a better product.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GBT8TM/

However, please be careful with whatever approach you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalifam View Post
Hey, can you show me a picture of how you position the pliers to the insert/bezel.

Also, what sort of plastic pliers are we talking?

Old 17 April 2019, 10:32 AM   #50
jaroush
"TRF" Member

Rik knows. Listen.
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:07 AM   #51
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroush View Post
Rik knows. Listen.
Old 29 April 2019, 05:47 AM   #52
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Apologies for picking up on a relatively old thread, though I expect the problems discussed are still current? Tried a bezel insert change in a GMTmaster for the first time yesterday despite being a fairly long time Rolex guy. The watch is a 16700 with Pepsi insert which I replaced .....eventually....with another. Removing the existing one was relatively straightforward ...despite my apprehension. Getting the replacement one in was another matter however. I measured both with calipers, and internal and external dimensions were identical. Re insertion of the existing one was tricky but I finally got the hang of it. Getting the replacement one in was a real pain despite the identical measurements, and both were original Rolex parts. Eventually I got it but it was really difficult and I think I just got lucky in the end! It always used to amaze me how the inserts stayed in, presumably due to lateral pressure. Having seen how hard the insert was to install however, I can see how they stay put. Pretty clever design and engineering! The answer going would appear to be a small press, although nylon jaws pliers seem more likely.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insert bezel , install