The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 28 March 2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Evo6
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR55131675BB58
To polish or not to polish...

My 2012 BLNR needs a trip to the spa and I’m conflicted about getting it refinished or leaving it as is. I haven’t abused it per say but I’ve worn it well and it has a little ding in one lug and plenty of small swirls and scratches. I don’t mind the wabi but I also don’t think the maxi-case suffers at all from a proper refinish the way a 4 or 5 series case would. It’s at RSC so they should do a proper job. The bracelet I’m definitely having refinshed it’s taken the majority of the abuse and they’re easliy replaceable. In fact I’m toying with having them brush the PCLs. What do you all think? Would the Maxi-case being refinsihed affect future value?
Evo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 08:46 PM   #2
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I would not let them polish the watch head. Bracelet is fair game.

I was browsing the window of Chisolm Hunter very recently, the display backing of the watch display was an arty photo of a SubLVc - with rounded off lugs only a WIS would notice..

No, don't give them a chance to round off your lugs, the watch will be forever ruined and there is no going back.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2019, 09:32 PM   #3
bluered
Banned

I would leave both alone from polish. You want to wear a watch head that has patina and and a new looking bracelet ?
bluered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 12:50 AM   #4
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Polishing is the age old question it seems. My opinion is these maxi cases aren’t likely to increase in value like the four and five digit references, hell they don’t even have chamfered cases anymore. Send it to RSC or to someone like Rikki D. and let them do a nice polish job and the watch will look great. I personally don’t want to wear a scratched up mess, especially if the watch is a new reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 03:56 AM   #5
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=652802

Take a look at those lugs as you decide when, whether, how much to polish a watch.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 05:37 AM   #6
CaryTheLabelGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=652802

Take a look at those lugs as you decide when, whether, how much to polish a watch.
Whoa.
CaryTheLabelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 11:43 AM   #7
Evo6
"TRF" Member

I’ve talked to the polisher at my AD and they promise a very sharp and minimal refinish (this guy used to be at ABC) so I think I’m just going to go with a light one on the case and full bracelet treatment.
Old 30 March 2019, 12:38 PM   #8
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo6 View Post
I’ve talked to the polisher at my AD and they promise a very sharp and minimal refinish (this guy used to be at ABC) so I think I’m just going to go with a light one on the case and full bracelet treatment.

Smart choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 10:38 PM   #9
rodo
"TRF" Member

Id leave everything alone
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2019, 02:09 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo6 View Post
Good choice. A vintage collectable and you might want to clean only, but those are few and far between and then wouldn't likely be worn either.

There is absolutely no reason to send in a modern watch for an overhaul and not have it returned to you in as near-new condition as practical.
Old 1 April 2019, 06:43 AM   #11
acr
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
The sides of the maxi cases never look the same after a polish. They come with an awesome mirror finish from the factory, with an incredibly sharp edge where it meets the lugs, and seems that even the most skilled polishers will end up rounding the sides a bit. I would hit it with a cape cod cloth (carefully) and enjoy it without a full polish.
acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2019, 03:12 AM   #12
watchprenuer
"TRF" Member

less polishing is the best option
watchprenuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 12:35 AM   #13
Soneji
"TRF" Member

Do RSC automatically polish as part of a refurbishment / service?
Soneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 01:01 AM   #14
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
The sides of the maxi cases never look the same after a polish. They come with an awesome mirror finish from the factory, with an incredibly sharp edge where it meets the lugs, and seems that even the most skilled polishers will end up rounding the sides a bit. I would hit it with a cape cod cloth (carefully) and enjoy it without a full polish.
Make sure whoever is polishing used a lapping machine (as RSC does) and you keep your flat edges and sharp corners.

There seems to be an irrational fear of polishing these days. Like everything in life you get what you pay for - A $300 'full service and polish' is not going to cut it compared to work done to brand specifications and charge at RRP.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 01:03 AM   #15
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soneji View Post
Do RSC automatically polish as part of a refurbishment / service?
It is optional.

The price is incorporated in to the cost of the service so it is free if you want it but you do not receive a discount if you decline it.
Old 9 April 2019, 04:33 AM   #16
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
It is optional.

The price is incorporated in to the cost of the service so it is free if you want it but you do not receive a discount if you decline it.
I guess it varies between different countries. I always get a discount when I tell them I do not want a polish.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 04:35 AM   #17
Evo6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Make sure whoever is polishing used a lapping machine (as RSC does) and you keep your flat edges and sharp corners.

There seems to be an irrational fear of polishing these days. Like everything in life you get what you pay for - A $300 'full service and polish' is not going to cut it compared to work done to brand specifications and charge at RRP.

I checked and they are definitely using a lapping machine.
Old 9 April 2019, 08:10 AM   #18
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I guess it varies between different countries. I always get a discount when I tell them I do not want a polish.
From Rolex?
Old 10 April 2019, 05:00 AM   #19
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
From Rolex?
Yes.
Old 10 April 2019, 06:58 AM   #20
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Yes.
Interesting to know

If you don’t mind sharing (and I understand if you object) I would be interested to know the price paid. I’m wondering if they discount the price below rrp, or if the price including polishing is inflated.
Old 10 April 2019, 09:24 PM   #21
konniekat
Banned

Watch: TT Date 69173
Polish
konniekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2019, 04:55 AM   #22
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Interesting to know

If you don’t mind sharing (and I understand if you object) I would be interested to know the price paid. I’m wondering if they discount the price below rrp, or if the price including polishing is inflated.
I do not mind. Last time was this January and it was my fathers 1607 in gold. I think the original price for service was 7000 SEK but I opted for no polishing and the final price was 6300 SEK. So that's a 10% price reduction. As far as I remember that is the same price I paid for having my 1680 serviced the last time, 1-2 years ago.
Old 12 April 2019, 08:47 AM   #23
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
I personally would never polish as the watch will look like what it did before in about a months wear again so why bother?

RSC will always polish unless you tell them not too, which is what I did on my GMTc a few months ago. Never heard of getting a discount though from RSC for no polish as was always told it was a "complimentary" part of the service.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 06:59 AM   #24
Evo6
"TRF" Member

So I picked up my BLNR yesterday and I have to say I'm very happy with the job that Polachecks did on the refinish. The watch looks essentially brand new. When I originally purchased it I did not have very much wrist awareness and also felt as a modern watch it wasn't as "precious" as my vintage GMT or SUB but boy has that changed in this market. I'm not going to baby it this time but I'm also not going to abuse it the way I had when I first got it. I'll probably wear it mostly on an Everest rubber and leather strap and save the gorgeous bracelet for special occasions. Needless to say if you are in SoCal, especially Calabasas/Woodland Hills area save yourself a trip to the Beverly Hills RSC and just take it to Polachecks. They are an actual Rolex Service Center and can add a personal touch and communication I really appreciate.
Old 8 May 2019, 08:52 AM   #25
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
I do not mind. Last time was this January and it was my fathers 1607 in gold. I think the original price for service was 7000 SEK but I opted for no polishing and the final price was 6300 SEK. So that's a 10% price reduction. As far as I remember that is the same price I paid for having my 1680 serviced the last time, 1-2 years ago.
Thanks for sharing