The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2023, 01:32 AM   #31
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
A Panerai on my wrist gives me a feeling of belonging, simple, great readability, robust and..... unique

Old 24 December 2023, 01:04 AM   #32
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Very strange post. There are months worth of information available at your fingertips. Additionally, you said you have purchased one, so you clearly understand the appeal and some of the history, even if it was second hand from your father.
Old 24 December 2023, 02:15 PM   #33
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
I enjoy hand winding. My Eight Day is a 5 minute Sunday ritual. Very therapeutic.

Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2023, 12:01 AM   #34
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watches.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2023, 01:11 AM   #35
BMess
"TRF" Member

Officine Panerai is an Italian luxury watchmaker known for its distinctive design, precision craftsmanship, and deep-rooted maritime heritage. The history of Panerai dates back to its founding in 1860 by Giovanni Panerai in Florence, Italy. Initially, it started as a watch shop, but it soon expanded into a workshop where they developed high-precision instruments and timepieces.

During its early years, Panerai became an official supplier to the Royal Italian Navy. The brand's association with the military played a pivotal role in shaping its identity and design philosophy. Panerai began producing diving instruments, such as depth gauges, compasses, and wrist-worn diving watches, catering to the specific needs of the Italian Navy.

One of the most iconic creations of Panerai was the Radiomir, introduced in the late 1930s. Named after the luminous material used on its dial, Radiomir watches were highly visible in low-light conditions, crucial for military operations underwater. The brand developed the patented Radiomir substance, a mix of zinc sulfide and radium bromide, to provide luminescence to the watch hands and indices.

During World War II, Panerai continued to supply the Italian Navy with specialized instruments and timepieces, contributing significantly to the success of naval missions. The company's commitment to innovation and functionality was evident in its collaborations with the military, leading to the creation of robust, reliable, and highly legible watches designed for extreme conditions.

In the 1950s, Panerai introduced another legendary timepiece, the Luminor, featuring a new luminous material called tritium-based Luminor. The Luminor also incorporated a crown-protecting bridge, which became a defining characteristic of many Panerai watches, enhancing their durability and water resistance.

For several decades, Panerai remained relatively unknown to the public as their watches were exclusively available to military personnel. However, in 1993, the brand made a significant leap into the luxury watch market by unveiling its first commercial collection to the public at the Baselworld watch fair. This marked the beginning of Panerai's transformation into a globally recognized luxury brand.

The re-emergence of Panerai attracted watch enthusiasts and collectors worldwide, drawn to the brand's unique design language, robust construction, and historical significance. Panerai watches became highly sought after for their distinctive oversized cases, bold dials, and utilitarian aesthetic.

Today, Panerai continues to produce a diverse range of watches, maintaining its ties to its maritime heritage while incorporating modern innovations and high-end Swiss watchmaking techniques. The brand offers various collections, including the Radiomir, Luminor, Submersible, and special limited editions, catering to both diving enthusiasts and luxury watch connoisseurs.
Old 26 December 2023, 06:38 AM   #36
kvam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Are 40 mm Panerai considered a ladies watch?
No. But it depends on the style and wrist size.
kvam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 01:55 AM   #37
Steven90210
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126613n
There is a nice history/story behind the brand
It just looks so unique and you can spot a Pam from miles away
Feels solid on the wrist and great for folks who loves huge chunky watches
One of the 1st Swiss brands to introduce quick strap changing on their watches. Everyone who owns a Pam, literally owns 10 straps for each watch, swapping straps is a hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steven90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 02:28 PM   #38
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
There’s alot of love for Panerai and I never understood it. The watches feel bloated and the dials feel very basic but the brand gets alot of love.

I even once bought my father a Panerai for fathers day because I knew he loved it and wanted one.

Can someone please fill me in on why its such a loved brand.
Nobody can explain it to you and based on your subsequent posts you don’t seem sincerely interested in learning. Not everybody likes strawberry ice cream. If you don’t just pick another flavor and move along, don’t come to the strawberry ice cream fan club meeting and start slagging on strawberry ice cream.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote