The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2021, 06:05 PM   #1
dxbwatch
"TRF" Member

Rolex Day-Date 40 in Rose Gold in ADs

Hey fellas,

I'm currently on the hunt for a RG Day-Date 40 for the chocolate and olive dial. I've been put on a waiting-list in my AD in Dubai couple of months ago for a chocolate RG DD40 but still haven't received a call. The sales rep wasn't even accepting any names for the RG Olive DD40; I didn't realize this was in such high-demand. He did, however, offer to do a dial swap for 1,100 USD.

Have you guys had any troubles getting Day-Date 40s, RG or YG, from Rolex ADs as of recently? I did see a WG one on display. I feel as though this may be a Dubai-specific problem.

Cheers.
dxbwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 07:41 PM   #2
peterpl
Banned

Olive and Choco are THE 2 most sought after colours for the DD40.

Very hard to find these days.

Pretty much all RG DD40s are selling above MSRP now. Choco dial BNIB from grays are going for like $42k+ now and Olive dial even more around $44-$45k so quite a lot above MSRP.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 08:16 PM   #3
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Rose gold Day-Date with olive dial is the hardest to find now at the boutique/ADs, but you can get it from TS for $44k which is about $1500 more than msrp + tax, which is not too bad.

I am still waiting for mine at the boutique, the reason I don't go to TS because my SA gave me the chance to acquire all SS models so I feel like I should get it from her.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:15 PM   #4
dxbwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post

Pretty much all RG DD40s are selling above MSRP now. Choco dial BNIB from grays are going for like $42k+ now and Olive dial even more around $44-$45k so quite a lot above MSRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
Rose gold Day-Date with olive dial is the hardest to find now at the boutique/ADs, but you can get it from TS for $44k which is about $1500 more than msrp + tax, which is not too bad.

I am still waiting for mine at the boutique, the reason I don't go to TS because my SA gave me the chance to acquire all SS models so I feel like I should get it from her.
I have a feeling this Rolex production halt and their general lack of supply has something to do with it; coupled with an increase in demand. But those prices are not far off from MSRP after their 5% price increase.
Old 26 January 2021, 11:57 PM   #5
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Interesting. Is it normal for ADs to swap dials? Can they just order any dial from Rolex?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 12:39 AM   #6
T01
"TRF" Member

My larger volume AD get's DD40s in sporadically, used to have every single metal and dial in stock. Just the name of the game these days. If you express interest I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting one with no purchase history relatively soon.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 02:42 AM   #7
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Interesting. Is it normal for ADs to swap dials? Can they just order any dial from Rolex?

Some AD’s are also authorized for simple repairs and such. If you find one, they can order you a dial and do the swap in store for you. You can also send it in to the nearest Rolex service center, but expect to be without your watch for 6-12 weeks depending upon how busy they are. Also, if your watch isn’t pretty new they may make you do a service at the same tone. I confirmed the above with Rolex when exploring my options for a swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 02:46 AM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I think it's a dubai problem. But also lots of extra interest in DD these days with elevated stock prices cashing out to buy toys, so slimmer pickings from what I have seen out there.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 02:53 AM   #9
JodyHighroller
Banned

As Peter mentioned, anything RG is flying off the shelves. The olive dial craze train has already set off from the station. I wore mine to a local AD last weekend and they flocked over to admire and asked how long did it take me to get, etc. They’re a larger AD and mentioned they only get 2-3 olive dials a year between WG and RG. The olive dial popularity is across all regions now.

I’d suggest to order and wait for the variant you want instead of opening up a brand new watch.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 07:21 AM   #10
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Rolex Day-Date 40 in Rose Gold in ADs

Wow I didn’t know they crept up so much
I recall it being 28k bnib for a chocolate dial from a TS just a couple years ago
I actually had mine since 2016 and now like to get a yellow motif dial
Didn’t know rose caught on after all these years

About 5 years ago I was having breakfast and my server commented she never seen a dude wearing a rose gold times have changed!
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 08:34 PM   #11
dxbwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post

They offer a dial swap for 1,100 USD and then 50% of that amount (550 USD) if you'd like to keep your original dial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T01 View Post
My larger volume AD get's DD40s in sporadically, used to have every single metal and dial in stock. Just the name of the game these days. If you express interest I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting one with no purchase history relatively soon.
The AD wouldn't even put my name on the list for a RG Olive DD40. He said the list is already too long.
Old 27 January 2021, 09:06 PM   #12
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:

I did not know that. Interesting. I love RG just not Rolex RG. It’s way too pink. Also the only dial color I dislike is brown. People can call it chocolate if they want to make it sound better but it’s still brown. No thanks. I can’t even fathom paying above MSRP for a day date. I can’t even fathom paying MSRP for a day date. I can’t stress enough now is not the time to buy. Now is the time to sell. All this pricing madness will be over soon enough.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:18 PM   #13
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I did not know that. Interesting. I love RG just not Rolex RG. It’s way too pink. Also the only dial color I dislike is brown. People can Collett chocolate if they want to make it sound better but it’s still brown. No thanks. I can’t even fathom paying above MSRP for a day date. I can’t even fathom paying MSRP for a day date. I can’t stress enough now is not the time to buy. Now is the time to sell. All this pricing madness will be over soon enough.
Choco and Olive are the 2 most exotic colours and because of that these days everyone seems to be drawn to exotic colours and as a result they are fetching a premium.

The rest of the dial combos are just ordinary straight off the mill ones on the RG at least.

I used to own both and let me tell you in person they are absolutely beautiful and mesmerising.

There is NO WAY anyone could say these are ugly. Absolute stunners.

Old 27 January 2021, 09:27 PM   #14
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Choco and Olive are the 2 most exotic colours and because of that these days everyone seems to be drawn to exotic colours and as a result they are fetching a premium.

The rest of the dial combos are just ordinary straight off the mill ones on the RG at least.

I used to own both and let me tell you in person they are absolutely beautiful and mesmerising.

There is NO WAY anyone could say these are ugly. Absolute stunners.

I have held everyone of those in my hand and worn them. I’m sorry but I disagree with you. I wouldn’t call them ugly I would just say they are not good looking. :-) Compared to the other options I mean. I don’t like brown for any brand dial. Olive is tolerable. But pink gold for Rolex is just weird. I’ll leave it at that.

Instagram - patton250
Old 27 January 2021, 09:45 PM   #15
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Am trying to get the olive dial RG. Saying maybe later this year but no promises.
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 09:53 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I did not know that. Interesting. I love RG just not Rolex RG. It’s way too pink. Also the only dial color I dislike is brown. People can Collett chocolate if they want to make it sound better but it’s still brown. No thanks. I can’t even fathom paying above MSRP for a day date. I can’t even fathom paying MSRP for a day date. I can’t stress enough now is not the time to buy. Now is the time to sell. All this pricing madness will be over soon enough.
I agree ... milk chocolate maybe
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 10:17 PM   #17
patrickjb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 126600
My AD told me it’s a year + for the Olive. After sitting on wait lists and never getting the call in the past - I opted to go grey. I tend to get a bad taste in my mouth having to appease someone to spend my money - so I’ll take my business elsewhere, happily.

So far, it’s a fantastic decision!

patrickjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 10:39 PM   #18
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjb View Post
My AD told me it’s a year + for the Olive. After sitting on wait lists and never getting the call in the past - I opted to go grey. I tend to get a bad taste in my mouth having to appease someone to spend my money - so I’ll take my business elsewhere, happily.

So far, it’s a fantastic decision!

That is a killer combination! Congratulations.
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 11:14 PM   #19
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
I have held everyone of those in my hand and worn them. I’m sorry but I disagree with you. I wouldn’t call them ugly I would just say they are not good looking. :-) Compared to the other options I mean. I don’t like brown for any brand dial. Olive is tolerable. But pink gold for Rolex is just weird. I’ll leave it at that.
Well that may be good then for the others so they dont have to compete with you! LOL

Nothing wrong with not like RG or a particular dial colour. Each to their own.

All I am saying is this is what the market is doing at the moment for particular the RG DD40s. In fact Rose Gold is probably the hottest metal at the moment.

Anything RG whether its a Daytona, DD40, SkyD or GMT its flying off the shelves are premium prices.
Old 29 January 2021, 12:52 PM   #20
JodyHighroller
Banned

A new DD40 RG w/ Olive dial sold in 1.5 hrs from being listed on here.

Crazy.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=787332
Old 29 January 2021, 01:14 PM   #21
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
A new DD40 RG w/ Olive dial sold in 1.5 hrs from being listed on here.

Crazy.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=787332
for 47k, thats absolute insanity
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:30 PM   #22
stidr
"TRF" Member

RG olive. Ordered mine last Nov. Picked up last week. Not sure if things have changed now.
stidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:33 PM   #23
peterpl
Banned

The prices in the UK are even worse for Rose Gold pieces.

Any model pick whatever you want. DD40, Daytona, SkyD - ALL of them flying off the shelves for INSANE prices.
Old 29 January 2021, 04:48 PM   #24
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

And to think, I bought a bnib chocolate roman from an AD this month last year for just under 30k. Go figure.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 09:03 PM   #25
jcarm981
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5167
Awesome watch....I’m still waiting
jcarm981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 09:53 PM   #26
atl_rolex_guy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbwatch View Post
Hey fellas,

I'm currently on the hunt for a RG Day-Date 40 for the chocolate and olive dial. I've been put on a waiting-list in my AD in Dubai couple of months ago for a chocolate RG DD40 but still haven't received a call. The sales rep wasn't even accepting any names for the RG Olive DD40; I didn't realize this was in such high-demand. He did, however, offer to do a dial swap for 1,100 USD.

Have you guys had any troubles getting Day-Date 40s, RG or YG, from Rolex ADs as of recently? I did see a WG one on display. I feel as though this may be a Dubai-specific problem.

Cheers.
AD in ATL has the WG DD in olive
atl_rolex_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 11:47 PM   #27
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
Quote:
You are definitely in the minority. Is never buy one cause it’s not my taste but they are very attractive combos
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 12:08 AM   #28
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
You are definitely in the minority. Is never buy one cause it’s not my taste but they are very attractive combos
Most definitely I’m not in the minority. Not when it comes to brown dials and Rolex rose gold. I have visited enough ADs and spoken to enough Rolex sales people to know what the most popular combination day dates are. It’s not rose gold and definitely not brown.

Instagram - patton250
Old 30 January 2021, 12:20 AM   #29
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Most definitely I’m not in the minority. Not when it comes to brown dials and Rolex rose gold. I have visited enough ADs and spoken to enough Rolex sales people to know what the most popular combination day dates are. It’s not rose gold and definitely not brown.
Well, I’d say the market is speaking for itself right now. Don’t see any other DD40 in the catalog selling quicker or going for more than the RG DD40 w/ olive.
Old 30 January 2021, 12:27 AM   #30
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Well, I’d say the market is speaking for itself right now. Don’t see any other DD40 in the catalog selling quicker or going for more than the RG DD40 w/ olive.
It’s the current hype all brought on by lack of inventory. That’s all it is. I mean look at the OP. Look at the green sub!!!! If Rolex rose gold and olive or brown is your favorite I would wait six months to a year and you will be able to buy these things that a significant discount. Or you can buy into the hype in pay above retail now. Up to you. But this is definitely an inventory/hype situation.

Instagram - patton250