The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2021, 10:27 AM   #31
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOc View Post
I recently encountered an authorized dealer who’d only sell the hard-to-come-by Rolex sports models to local residents.

Is this permissible? Legally? Or by Rolex?
On March 12th 2020 I walked into my local AD (in an MSA of just over 500,000 people) and said I wanted a SS Daytona. They expressed a desire to sell only to locals but said they get calls from out of state all the time. I left my business card which proved I worked for a local employer. Got a call and a Daytona the next day. Definitely happens.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 10:34 AM   #32
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
I recently encountered an authorized dealer who’d only sell the hard-to-come-by Rolex sports models to local residents.

I am currently looking to buy a new house directly across the street from a local AD. I'm gonna get All the hard-to-come-by Rolex sports models! They Better Be Neighborly!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:49 AM   #33
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
This is the standard practice and you would do the same if you owned an AD.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 12:06 PM   #34
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
ADs I know say it is Rolex policy to sell only within their market area over the counter. They can ship to long time customers but Rolex prefers the in-store buyer's experience. Notice when ADs put their inventory of watches online, the link to Rolex only goes to the Rolex website and does not list models in stock at the store.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:33 AM   #35
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Of course, it’s his stock!!!!
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 07:56 AM   #36
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Does that mean I'm stuck dealing with one AD within 50 miles that doesn't have (or not offered from the vault) anything for a small time buyer?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:31 PM   #37
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
Does that mean I'm stuck dealing with one AD within 50 miles that doesn't have (or not offered from the vault) anything for a small time buyer?
You’d have to persuade another AD to sell to you.
Depends if there is much in it for them.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 05:39 PM   #38
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
On March 12th 2020 I walked into my local AD (in an MSA of just over 500,000 people) and said I wanted a SS Daytona. They expressed a desire to sell only to locals but said they get calls from out of state all the time. I left my business card which proved I worked for a local employer. Got a call and a Daytona the next day. Definitely happens.
Definitely sounds plausible.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:29 PM   #39
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

SOP around here for sure.
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:35 PM   #40
SydR
"TRF" Member

AD I got my Sub from only sold to the local area. They gave me a break then I said I had lived near them for 16 years and only just moved away but had them top of my list due to their reputation.
SydR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:41 PM   #41
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:

This is exactly what my AD is doing, apparently he is following instructions from Rolex. I had to prove my address in order to get the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 11:42 PM   #42
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
The reality is money talks and BS walks.

You can walk in there and tell them you are not a local but just here for a bundle deal...ask for a diamond encrusted ladies Datejust, a platinum DayDate and then tell them to throw in a new Sub and they will do that deal faster than you can say “out of town visitor”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 10:53 PM   #43
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT, YM,
That how it works....... to supply locals with hard to get watches, and to reward relationships
Cesarmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:08 PM   #44
Cesarmsi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT, YM,
That how it works....... to supply locals with hard to get watches, and to reward relationships
Cesarmsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:14 PM   #45
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Well once they get enough supply this wont happen.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:16 AM   #46
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreCoffee View Post
Is it legal for a private business to set their own policies? I would say yes...

And good for them.
If you sell to the public, you aren't really a private business. That's why there are legal limits to whom a business can discriminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
Within reason...the AD can limit customers to local or regional but cannot avoid sales based on race, religion, ethnicity, or sexual orientation . The reality is that you can be from Timbuktu and if you offer to buy eight diamond crusted lady datejusts from some random AD, they’ll sell you whatever you want.
There are a number of protected classes in the US at the federal level, and some states have protected additional groups.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:29 AM   #47
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
In the uk Rolex wont allow new watches to be posted....they have to be collected in person.....seems like a different policy in the US.
This rule of having to collect is going to make vat refunds a thing of the past in the uk as it can only be refunded if posted overseas to the purchasers address....forcing you to pay the duty on receipt

Good point,.. and now I read, the tax law is changed in UK (from Jan 2021), so that tourists may not get a VAT (up to 20%) tax refund after making a purchase in duty free, as they (board) return to China or US or wherever.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:46 AM   #48
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I kind of like this idea of ADs only catering to local residents. Imo it would really help SAs form a relationship with their clients and ensure they are collectors not flippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 02:43 AM   #49
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorsOrders View Post
I kind of like this idea of ADs only catering to local residents. Imo it would really help SAs form a relationship with their clients and ensure they are collectors not flippers.

Unless the flipper/gray dealer lives in the AD's area, which I suspect is the case much of the time.

But I agree with you that the idea of ADs building relationships with clients is definitely positive.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:12 AM   #50
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Unless the flipper/gray dealer lives in the AD's area, which I suspect is the case much of the time.

But I agree with you that the idea of ADs building relationships with clients is definitely positive.
You make an excellent point! Though I’d hope that if the relationship was established with a flipper/grey the SA would realize what is going on. The question then is, will the AD promote the relationship because they want $$$ or will they limit the flipper/greys purchases?
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:27 AM   #51
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Sell or not, their choice.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 03:28 AM   #52
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Any retail business can sell or not sell to whoever they want too.
^^^ this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:30 AM   #53
tom2
Banned

Yes, it is very much possible.
tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:45 AM   #54
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Authorized dealer selling only to local residents?

Rolex watches are not an essential item to survive so yes they can sell or not sell to whoever they want. And what you described is actually very common practice among ADs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 10:20 AM   #55
djdm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona-C
Quote:

My AD does this.
djdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:43 PM   #56
Delawareguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I had my GMT2 stolen about a year and a half ago. I quickly realized that it was going to be difficult to replace my watch and sort of backed off. I figured I would wait the market out. I had heard that Rolex was going to start releasing more sport watches this fall, but was too busy to do anything. I finally stopped in at my local AD in mid December. I told him my story and that I was interested in a non date Sub, as I was sick of adjusting the date every month. He assured me he would see what he could do. Last Thursday (mid January) he called and let me know there was a non date Sub with my name on it. I jumped in the car with my checkbook and had it on my wrist in 20 minutes. Given that we don't have sales tax, I have to assume they get pounded by flippers constantly, yet I was able to get a very popular watch in less than a month. I think the fact that I am local, and an end user, and an all around good guy with a good story, helped me move to the top. I'm ecstatic to have a big hunk of stainless steel on my wrist again. Cheers!
Delawareguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 12:51 PM   #57
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawareguy View Post
I had my GMT2 stolen about a year and a half ago. I quickly realized that it was going to be difficult to replace my watch and sort of backed off. I figured I would wait the market out. I had heard that Rolex was going to start releasing more sport watches this fall, but was too busy to do anything. I finally stopped in at my local AD in mid December. I told him my story and that I was interested in a non date Sub, as I was sick of adjusting the date every month. He assured me he would see what he could do. Last Thursday (mid January) he called and let me know there was a non date Sub with my name on it. I jumped in the car with my checkbook and had it on my wrist in 20 minutes. Given that we don't have sales tax, I have to assume they get pounded by flippers constantly, yet I was able to get a very popular watch in less than a month. I think the fact that I am local, and an end user, and an all around good guy with a good story, helped me move to the top. I'm ecstatic to have a big hunk of stainless steel on my wrist again. Cheers!

Great story, congrats!

Old 25 January 2021, 05:06 PM   #58
Aquinas
"TRF" Member

As long as ADs decide independently not to sell to out-of-territory customers, they should be good.
If we were talking about agreements between ADs to refrain from marketing outside their territories or about watch producers restricting their distributors from competing outside their territories - that would be about as legal as bundling a Pepsi with a few grams of coke, so to speak.
Aquinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 05:42 PM   #59
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
This business model would not make any sense in Las Vegas, Dubai, every international airport, and other tourist traffic heavy locations.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 06:00 PM   #60
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:

Yes. A lot of AD's ask if you're local, they prefer you to be in a certain mile radius.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote