The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 January 2021, 08:03 PM   #1
pathai
"TRF" Member

New "Kermit"... Hold or sell it?

Just jumped the waiting-list at our local AD, who can magically get the new "Kermit" for me in just 2 weeks. Funny how things become quickly available, when you purchase another >40K USD Rolex.

Now considering if I should sell it now or just keep it unworn and sell later in a few years. Any suggestions?
Old 24 January 2021, 08:12 PM   #2
Uggi
Banned

Bit of a radical suggestion for a watch but - why not wear it to tell the time with?
Old 24 January 2021, 08:14 PM   #3
Lol-x
Facilitator

Wear it, you might actually like it more than any other watch!

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Old 24 January 2021, 08:23 PM   #4
Gavaldo
"TRF" Member

Crazy concept!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 24 January 2021, 08:33 PM   #5
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Wear it, you might actually like it more than any other watch!
Well, I am not sure if I actually like the watch. It was just part of a "bundle" deal, which is the only way to get hands on a sports-watch at an AD here in Thailand. You have to buy 2 Rolex's to get any popular model here.

The AD first offered a Black Submariner (Date), but I could see that "Kermit" was higher priced second hand. So requested that instead.

Know it sounds "strange". But when bundle deals are the only way here, you have to take advantage when you get an "un-popular" model.
Old 24 January 2021, 08:36 PM   #6
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Why don’t you let someone else have the chance to buy it that would wear it?

steve
Old 24 January 2021, 08:38 PM   #7
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavaldo View Post
Crazy concept!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
It is completely crazy. My local AD always have 4-8 popular models in stock and on display. The only issue is that you can not buy any of them, without purchasing 2 Rolex watches at the same time. And they decide which second watch you can buy to get e.g. a specific sports model.
Old 24 January 2021, 08:39 PM   #8
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post

steve
Because if I sell it, I make money which is a discount off the other purchased watch. Just taking advantage of the crazy "rules" set by our ADs here.
Old 24 January 2021, 08:42 PM   #9
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Please cancel my membership to your Fan Club.
Old 24 January 2021, 08:42 PM   #10
aff1
Banned

I see no reason to hold on to it if you won't wear it. You should let go and cash in on it.
Old 24 January 2021, 08:43 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you're not going to wear it, enjoy it and love it, don't buy it.

Is what I would do.

Your choice.
Old 24 January 2021, 08:50 PM   #12
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

You have every right to flip it and make money.
If someone wants to pay an amount over msrp, then let them do so, it is their coin and free to do what they want with it.
Old 24 January 2021, 08:54 PM   #13
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
If someone wants to pay an amount over msrp, then let them do so, it is their coin and free to do what they want with it.
Yeah, I don't feel bad about it too. Just playing their game. As you can only get a sports-model here by buying another "un-popular" Rolex, it is stupid not to take advantage of the situation when you have the chance.

I think it is way more "wrong" that ADs here are forcing customers to buy two Rolex's at the same time, to just get on a waiting-list and be able to buy a popular model.
Old 24 January 2021, 09:24 PM   #14
Davidt
"TRF" Member

If you didn’t want it why not leave it at he AD for someone who actually does?!
Old 24 January 2021, 09:35 PM   #15
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post

steve
The assumption you make is that the next customer is going to buy it to wear it......the truth may well be that the next customer wants to purchase it to flip it and make a profit....

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 24 January 2021, 09:36 PM   #16
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt View Post
If you didn’t want it why not leave it at he AD for someone who actually does?!
Because the underlying assumption you make is false.

The next guy to buy may do so for purely profitable reasons.

Old 24 January 2021, 09:41 PM   #17
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

No shame here, if you don’t love it, turn the profit and lower your cost of ownership on the $40k piece.

It’s not your problem if someone else is willing to pay above MSRP (I paid well over MSRP for this piece by the way and am not salty about this thread).

Old 24 January 2021, 09:43 PM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post
As you can only get a sports-model here by buying another "un-popular" Rolex, it is stupid not to take advantage of the situation when you have the chance.
That's a bit of an overreach. I turned down a BLNR in June because I wanted a BLRO and believed the watch offered to me should go to someone who would cherish it. Are you saying that makes me stupid? Or did you mean to say that it would be stupid of you?

It might, or might not be stupid of you to assume that the only way anybody can get a hot model is by buying unwanted goods.
Old 24 January 2021, 09:49 PM   #19
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Your question is when to sell it. Tough to predict the market, but probably wise to cash out now while it is still relatively rare (a lot more will come out in future).

Your honesty is refreshing. You can do whatever you want with your watch. And if I was forced to buy a green watch, I would also sell it ASAP
Old 24 January 2021, 09:50 PM   #20
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 24 January 2021, 09:50 PM   #21
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
OP isn’t here to seek advice at all, cheeky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 January 2021, 10:04 PM   #22
Gah73
"TRF" Member

Funny how things become quickly available, when you purchase another >40K USD Rolex.

What was the other watch?
Old 24 January 2021, 10:07 PM   #23
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
OP isn’t here to seek advice at all, cheeky!

You are absolutely right, I think he just try to tell us that he is smart flipper.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Old 24 January 2021, 10:08 PM   #24
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
That's a bit of an overreach. I turned down a BLNR in June because I wanted a BLRO and believed the watch offered to me should go to someone who would cherish it. Are you saying that makes me stupid? Or did you mean to say that it would be stupid of you?

It might, or might not be stupid of you to assume that the only way anybody can get a hot model is by buying unwanted goods.
Can't recall calling you stupid. Sorry if you felt the "stupid" remark I made, as something personal.

Here in Thailand the only way to get a "hot model" from an AD is buying another "un-popular" Rolex at the same time. Thats just how it works here. So I guess they want you to cherish two watches instead of one.

By including the "Kermit" I can make a profit on that, which then lowers the cost on my other purchase. To me that makes sense.
Old 24 January 2021, 10:15 PM   #25
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
You are absolutely right, I think he just try to tell us that he is smart flipper.
Actually, this would be the first Rolex I ever bought to re-sell.

Reasons for my post:

1. To get some advice of what people think will happen to the market in 2021. I know this is hard, but others thoughts would be appreciated. I am thinking Covid could keep the prices and demand going up. After all it will take a few years for the world to be somehow back to normal.

2. To show how "sick" the Rolex market actually is, especially in this part of the world. And tell how difficult it is to get hands on a "hot-model" here, due to the ADs taking full advantage of the situaiton. Besides that... Next time a dealer tells me they can not get a certain watch, I now know it is complete BS.
Old 24 January 2021, 10:29 PM   #26
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gah73 View Post
Funny how things become quickly available, when you purchase another >40K USD Rolex.

What was the other watch?
A Pearlmaster for a family member (lady). Got 10% discount and will drop at least 30% more in value when worn. But this watch was bought to worn and never resold, so the reduction in value is not so important.

However, if we can save some more due to bundle deal with the "Kermit", then why not :-)
Old 24 January 2021, 10:36 PM   #27
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Actually, this would be the first Rolex I ever bought to re-sell.

Reasons for my post:

1. To get some advice of what people think will happen to the market in 2021. I know this is hard, but others thoughts would be appreciated. I am thinking Covid could keep the prices and demand going up. After all it will take a few years for the world to be somehow back to normal.

2. To show how "sick" the Rolex market actually is, especially in this part of the world. And tell how difficult it is to get hands on a "hot-model" here, due to the ADs taking full advantage of the situaiton. Besides that... Next time a dealer tells me they can not get a certain watch, I now know it is complete BS.
I'm sure you have seen the threads on dealers no longer selling to people who flip hot watches but just a reminder that if you do sell be discreet :) unless you know your AD won't care
Old 24 January 2021, 10:37 PM   #28
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai View Post
Your question is when to sell it. Tough to predict the market, but probably wise to cash out now while it is still relatively rare (a lot more will come out in future).

Your honesty is refreshing. You can do whatever you want with your watch. And if I was forced to buy a green watch, I would also sell it ASAP
Yes, it is really hard to predict. I think you might be right. Maybe a good idea to just sell it ASAP.
Old 24 January 2021, 10:37 PM   #29
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

New "Kermit"... Hold or sell it?

Quote:
Yeah, I don't feel bad about it too. Just playing their game. As you can only get a sports-model here by buying another "un-popular" Rolex, it is stupid not to take advantage of the situation when you have the chance.

I think it is way more "wrong" that ADs here are forcing customers to buy two Rolex's at the same time, to just get on a waiting-list and be able to buy a popular model.

Once you put that sub on your wrist, you won’t want to sell it!

Old 24 January 2021, 10:42 PM   #30
Goin2drt
Banned

So you bought an unpopular $40K watch that you WANTED, because you did this the AD just said "hey you just bought an unpopular watch so guess what we have a hard as hell to get green sub in the back that you don't even like that we will sell to you"

Something sounds really weird about this story.

Either way buy it, wear it or don't wear it who cares. Sell it now why it is hot as I seriously doubt it is going to be a limited run and the longer it goes on and the more they make the lower the price.
Closed Thread