The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 January 2021, 01:55 AM   #61
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
If I understood your post it’s not a question of selling it it’s just a matter of when even though you mentioned wearing it.

But since you’re intention is to reduce the cost of the pearlmaster to help your family member than wearing it is out of question. Keeping it in a drawer to increase value means holding it for 5 years at least and that doesn’t do anything to help your family member financially now.
Plus future value is a risky assumption.
So I think it’s a straightforward decision. Sell now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 January 2021, 02:01 AM   #62
pathai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
If I understood your post it’s not a question of selling it it’s just a matter of when even though you mentioned wearing it.

But since you’re intention is to reduce the cost of the pearlmaster to help your family member than wearing it is out of question. Keeping it in a drawer to increase value means holding it for 5 years at least and that doesn’t do anything to help your family member financially now.
Plus future value is a risky assumption.
So I think it’s a straightforward decision. Sell now.

Yes, the plan is to help reduce the price of the watch she bought. Agree, it seems best to sell now.
Old 25 January 2021, 02:37 AM   #63
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
OP - there are PLENTY of strong opinions here on to you spend YOUR $$$ or what to do with YOUR watches. Yes, you asked for advice but in the end it only matters what YOU think. It’s YOUR $$$.

Most of the anger here on TRF comes from the supply/demand problem that ADs have to deal with and “flippers” that don’t really care about wearing the watches. The enthusiasts here on TRF actually want to wear hot pieces but are mostly powerless to get one or can’t/don’t want to pay the massive premiums.

That said, you’ve been given a “gift” from Rolex and if you don’t want it, sell it and find something else that sings to you.
Old 25 January 2021, 02:44 AM   #64
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTdweller View Post
OP - there are PLENTY of strong opinions here on to you spend YOUR $$$ or what to do with YOUR watches. Yes, you asked for advice but in the end it only matters what YOU think. It’s YOUR $$$.

Most of the anger here on TRF comes from the supply/demand problem that ADs have to deal with and “flippers” that don’t really care about wearing the watches. The enthusiasts here on TRF actually want to wear hot pieces but are mostly powerless to get one or can’t/don’t want to pay the massive premiums.

That said, you’ve been given a “gift” from Rolex and if you don’t want it, sell it and find something else that sings to you.
Oh there are plenty of flippers on here, don’t be fooled. Every gray on here is a flipper. The self righteous comments of “just let someone else get it” are just plain ignorant. Given the opportunity to literally make $9k within minutes is plain stupid if you don’t take that opportunity. Grays do it all the time and all they get is praise around these parts. For this guy to do it is right on and he should absolutely go for it. I tell you what I am on the list for a white Daytona. Have been for years. I can tell you right now that when I get the call, that watch will be for sale the next day. I will take all the flaming in the world but to make that kind of stupid money, I’m in. The watch isn’t worth that to me and if someone wants to give me $29k for a $11k watch it is theirs.
Old 25 January 2021, 03:03 AM   #65
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathai View Post
My family member bought an expensive watch and I got the "Kermit" added to the deal. All Profit from "Kermit" sale goes to her, so she saves more on the expensive watch. (She also got 10% off from AD on her watch).

Thanks for the advice.
Your a good man.

Def sell now. Make that $$$

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 25 January 2021, 04:14 AM   #66
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
If money is not an issue I'd give it a few weeks before selling it. Wear it and give it a try. If you decide you don't like it then flip that biotch, be happy with your decision and the profits! IMHO

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 25 January 2021, 04:18 AM   #67
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Do you already have possession of the Pearlmaster? You bought the watch and left the store with it?

If so, I don't see how this is still a "bundle". Why would the dealer offer you a Kermit now? You already bought the $$$$$ watch and left. They will just sell the Kermit to somebody else or offer another bundle for you when you show up to simply by the Kermit.

Bundles are done with all the watches on hand. So this is a bit off the rails.
Old 25 January 2021, 04:36 AM   #68
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Sorry you got attacked for your post. Its unwarranted.

I think you should hold your new Kermit. Its the first production. The original Kermit had numerous changes during its lifetime production. The most valuable version were the first production.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
Old 25 January 2021, 04:38 AM   #69
SlashRothstein
"TRF" Member

Can you negotiate a different concession from the AD?
Old 25 January 2021, 05:02 AM   #70
logo
"TRF" Member

If you don’t want the watch, I’d sell it now. You will make someone’s day to give them the “opportunity” to pay >2x MSRP for it
Old 25 January 2021, 06:18 AM   #71
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Oh there are plenty of flippers on here, don’t be fooled. Every gray on here is a flipper. The self righteous comments of “just let someone else get it” are just plain ignorant. Given the opportunity to literally make $9k within minutes is plain stupid if you don’t take that opportunity. Grays do it all the time and all they get is praise around these parts. For this guy to do it is right on and he should absolutely go for it. I tell you what I am on the list for a white Daytona. Have been for years. I can tell you right now that when I get the call, that watch will be for sale the next day. I will take all the flaming in the world but to make that kind of stupid money, I’m in. The watch isn’t worth that to me and if someone wants to give me $29k for a $11k watch it is theirs.
Agreed!

I've had a similar feeling when getting a "hot" watch at retail. I spend more time agonizing whether I should keep it or cash in on the secondary values. Always end up deciding based on asking the question "is this piece really work $X dollars". If it's not something I'd be willing to pay for it, then its a good idea to sell IMO.

Steel Daytona is a great $14K watch, but a really bad value at $25K+.

126610LV is a great watch too, at retail awesome, even perhaps at todays secondary prices (which I paid). But if the thing was over $20K I'd say no way and it's for sale!
Old 25 January 2021, 06:36 AM   #72
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

I would sell it right away, you'll probably get more for it. Don't worry about all the haters on here, your doing the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Old 25 January 2021, 06:38 AM   #73
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I know several financial advisors who I think would love this forum. Posts like this would either give them an opportunity to truly help someone out who may truly need it. Or an opportunity to laugh.
Old 25 January 2021, 06:39 AM   #74
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sell it. Doesn’t make sense to hold it. Congratulations to your family member who got the pearl master.
Old 25 January 2021, 08:47 AM   #75
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Just jumped the waiting-list at our local AD, who can magically get the new "Kermit" for me in just 2 weeks. Funny how things become quickly available, when you purchase another >40K USD Rolex.

Now considering if I should sell it now or just keep it unworn and sell later in a few years. Any suggestions?
Why not leave it at the dealer if you don't want to wear it?
Let someone else who may enjoy wearing it own it
Old 25 January 2021, 09:52 AM   #76
tom2
Banned

You sounded like you have already made up your mind to buy it.
Old 25 January 2021, 10:09 AM   #77
AR5150
Banned

Maybe you should sell. Why don’t you let someone else have the chance to buy it that would wear it?
Old 25 January 2021, 11:21 AM   #78
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Yes. It’s easy to be self-righteous in this subject on TRF but another story when $10k is staring you in the face at an AD.
Old 25 January 2021, 11:27 AM   #79
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
You should 100% sell it..... if you really wanted this watch you wouldn’t ask this question.......

Just my 2 cents here

Old 25 January 2021, 11:45 AM   #80
Greglaw
Banned

Thanks for buying something and preventing others who would love to buy it, keep it and cherish it. As people say to me, which I hate hearing because most of the time it’s cheap rhetoric for my military service, thank you for your service.
Old 25 January 2021, 11:48 AM   #81
tla
"TRF" Member

buy it lol think of it as a lottery you won for 2021
Old 25 January 2021, 11:55 AM   #82
StevePirates
"TRF" Member

Sell it now. The demand is high now, and there’s no guarantee that that model will remain popular. Also, if you hoard it, you take a piece out of circulation with further exacerbates the supply problem - which in turn leads to more grief from people trying to buy sports watches from the AD. If you put it into the market right now, you’ll reap your reward and also inject more fluidity into the secondary market, decreasing pressure on the primary market. Everyone wins if you act now. The market loses if you hoard, and you are not guaranteed a long-term win by hoarding.

Pascal’s wager that decision tree.
Old 25 January 2021, 11:57 AM   #83
Kingboo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Why not leave it at the dealer if you don't want to wear it?
Let someone else who may enjoy wearing it own it
Some have mentioned what you've said - however, another member here made a logical point - when you leave it at the dealer - it is likely to go to someone that is going to flip it and make the profit instead.

Is that a smart thing to do?

The fact is Rolex and certain factors have created this environment, we should not fault anyone by taking the opportunity to benefit himself/herself, or ostracize them for doing it. Not everyone is a multi-millionaire where 10,000 is like 10 bucks to them.
Old 25 January 2021, 06:26 PM   #84
Ihatecheese
Banned

If you need money then sell your superfluous belongings. If you do not and enjoy the watch. Then wear it. Easy. You can always sell it in the future if situations change.
Always so confusing why life's easiest decisions are made more complex simply by internet forums!
Old 26 January 2021, 01:22 AM   #85
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just jumped the waiting-list at our local AD, who can magically get the new "Kermit" for me in just 2 weeks. Funny how things become quickly available, when you purchase another >40K USD Rolex.

Now considering if I should sell it now or just keep it unworn and sell later in a few years. Any suggestions?
This post sums up everything that is wrong with Rolex buyers today....pure greed
Old 26 January 2021, 01:24 AM   #86
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingboo View Post
Some have mentioned what you've said - however, another member here made a logical point - when you leave it at the dealer - it is likely to go to someone that is going to flip it and make the profit instead.

Is that a smart thing to do?

The fact is Rolex and certain factors have created this environment, we should not fault anyone by taking the opportunity to benefit himself/herself, or ostracize them for doing it. Not everyone is a multi-millionaire where 10,000 is like 10 bucks to them.
Not everyone is a flipper
Old 26 January 2021, 01:34 AM   #87
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
This post sums up everything that is wrong with Rolex buyers today....pure greed

Yeah, but the greed is at the AD who wouldn't sell it to an end user, only to a person who spent enough and didn't really want it.
Old 26 January 2021, 02:33 AM   #88
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
Thanks for buying something and preventing others who would love to buy it, keep it and cherish it. As people say to me, which I hate hearing because most of the time it’s cheap rhetoric for my military service, thank you for your service.
This comment is so played out....The people who want this watch to wear ARE STILL interested in it solely on the fact that its worth more than MSRP....

Rolex is as popular as it is because we know they retain value better than most watches available....

It isn't a dull green bezel that people "cherish".....
Old 26 January 2021, 04:06 AM   #89
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Giving the family member all the profit. I only organised the deal and will resell it for her to help save her some money. I could keep the "Kermit" if I want (at retail price), but don't really like it. Just my personal preference. Might change my mind, when I see it. But main idea was to save her some money.

Im confused...how will you save the family member some money by you keeping the watch or hanging on to it till a later date..are you going to give her the difference you could make flipping it.....doesn’t make sense
Old 26 January 2021, 04:10 AM   #90
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Yeah, but the greed is at the AD who wouldn't sell it to an end user, only to a person who spent enough and didn't really want it.
....true...greed from all camps...one could also argue that even collecting is a form of greed....just saying