The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2021, 07:22 AM   #1
DEFCON1
"TRF" Member

Advice required - sleepless nights from recent purchase.

I just bought a beautiful piece from a private seller who bought it from the local AD a year ago. Original tax invoice was given to me also with full set. Upon collecting it I went straight to the same AD to ask if they could swipe the card and/or confirm they had supplied the watch. To my surprise they refused to confirm or swipe the card. They were very happy to resize the watch for me however.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to sleep now after this as I’ve been comparing my wife’s box to mine and there are slight minuscule differences. The demons of doubt are attacking me.

Any advice on how I could revisit the AD to get peace of mind?
DEFCON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:25 AM   #2
WiseRat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFCON1 View Post
I just bought a beautiful piece from a private seller who bought it from the local AD a year ago. Original tax invoice was given to me also with full set. Upon collecting it I went straight to the same AD to ask if they could swipe the card and/or confirm they had supplied the watch. To my surprise they refused to confirm or swipe the card. They were very happy to resize the watch for me however.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to sleep now after this as I’ve been comparing my wife’s box to mine and there are slight minuscule differences. The demons of doubt are attacking me.

Show the watch to the AD, and ask their opinion. And post detailed photos here so we can see what it looks like.
WiseRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:26 AM   #3
blada4life
"TRF" Member

That’s ridiculous. I’ve had that done before. Ask manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:30 AM   #4
DEFCON1
"TRF" Member

I thought it was ridiculous myself and I even have another purchase I made with them. Their baseless reasoning: “for legal reasons we can’t as we don’t know what has happened to the watch”. Unbelievable
Old 25 January 2021, 07:38 AM   #5
roystrex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought it was ridiculous myself and I even have another purchase I made with them. Their baseless reasoning: “for legal reasons we can’t as we don’t know what has happened to the watch”. Unbelievable
Maybe they have a story behind the claim. Just calm down and give them the reason of your concern.
roystrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:40 AM   #6
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Makes complete sense.

How does the AD know the previous user or you have not changed out parts inside the watch? Swiping the card only shows that this was the card sold with a watch.

Unless the AD then takes apart the watch and has a certified Rolex watchmaker look at it, how would they know?
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:47 AM   #7
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
If you're worried about the watch's authenticity, consider contacting Rolex directly.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:48 AM   #8
DEFCON1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Makes complete sense.

How does the AD know the previous user or you have not changed out parts inside the watch? Swiping the card only shows that this was the card sold with a watch.

Unless the AD then takes apart the watch and has a certified Rolex watchmaker look at it, how would they know?
Not asking them to authenticate the watch just to verify they sold the watch as shown on warranty card and invoice.
Old 25 January 2021, 07:52 AM   #9
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If the watch was supplied to the AD by Rolex at least a year ago then that AD’s name is on the card along with the watch serial number. The serial is also on the rehaut of the watch. So do they match?

If you want it examined to confirm it’s exactly as it should be then take it to a Rolex service Center and get a quote for a service. Obviously you don’t have to have it serviced but if there is anything amiss then they will tell you for sure.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:53 AM   #10
G.Montag
Banned

Quote:

Which watch did you buy? Do you have another Rolex with the same movement? If not, go to an AD and look at another watch with the same movement. You should be able to tell by the winding/time adjustment feel if the watch has a genuine Rolex movement. This is one thing the forgers cannot replicate yet - a movement that feels like the real deal.
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:56 AM   #11
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
OP, you have the original receipt.

Does it match the receipt from your own purchase from this AD?

I’m not sure what more validation you need short of opening the watch.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:58 AM   #12
DEFCON1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
If the watch was supplied to the AD by Rolex at least a year ago then that AD’s name is on the card along with the watch serial number. The serial is also on the rehaut of the watch. So do they match?

If you want it examined to confirm it’s exactly as it should be then take it to a Rolex service Center and get a quote for a service. Obviously you don’t have to have it serviced but if there is anything amiss then they will tell you for sure.
Yes all serials match, rehaut, warranty card and invoice. Unfortunately the nearest RSC is not accepting any walk-ins due to Covid backlog and an estimated 1 months wait time with priority to warranty issues, so you have to go via an AD.
Old 25 January 2021, 08:03 AM   #13
DEFCON1
"TRF" Member

I bought a 116622 and although I don’t have the same movement on another watch it feels exactly the way I would expect from Rolex, tight precise and firm. Gauging from a couple of Rolex’s in the past. My only doubt is around the AD’s attitude and noticing very fine discrepancy in the boxes.

Also thanks for the advice all.
Old 25 January 2021, 08:03 AM   #14
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not asking them to authenticate the watch just to verify they sold the watch as shown on warranty card and invoice.
I know what you are saying and I understand the frustration. I would probably feel the same way you do. I hope it all works out and you find out you have an authentic watch that you enjoy for years to come.

You walk in with another customers watch, card, and invoice and want the AD to authenticate the paperwork. They have no way to validate why you have the watch either. If I were them, I would not get involved at all.

As others have said, take to an RSC.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:07 AM   #15
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

As long as the serial on the receipt matches the watch. And all box’s differ. I got a large green box ment for PM pieces with my SS datejust.
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:08 AM   #16
reposado
"TRF" Member

If you want to eliminate all doubt why not book it in for a service through your AD? A small cost but would set your mind at ease and also ensure your new purchase will be running beautifully for years to come.
reposado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:09 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the card is swiped at sale and not again. Why would you want the card re-run thought the system. You got the full set from the seller. Why would you question anything? Hopefully the Private Seller is not trashed with his AD as he may have had an important need or emergency to sell the watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:12 AM   #18
DEFCON1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
OP, you have the original receipt.

Does it match the receipt from your own purchase from this AD?

I’m not sure what more validation you need short of opening the watch.
Comparing the receipts - format is identical but the one I got from the AD has some colour in it whilst the “original” he made me photocopy / photograph is black and white.
Old 25 January 2021, 08:19 AM   #19
Dan GSR
"TRF" Member

perfectly reasonable
Dan GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:54 AM   #20
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Quote:
Comparing the receipts - format is identical but the one I got from the AD has some colour in it whilst the “original” he made me photocopy / photograph is black and white.
When you bought it from him, you should have asked for his original receipt. If he still wanted to keep the receipt, he should have made a copy for himself.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:56 AM   #21
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:

Hope you are at ease now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 08:58 AM   #22
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would go back to the AD and politely tell them of your doubts and ask them to please confirm that they sold the watch.
There is nothing you have said that would cause me any concern, however I understand that you are the one that needs the reassurance.
I also have a YM about a year old, and it is my favorite.
Hope you can get it sorted quickly and start full enjoyment of your YM.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:05 AM   #23
fixinbones
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
I’m not quite sure why you are doubting the authenticity?
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:06 AM   #24
harrisonkris66
"TRF" Member

I wouldnt worry about it. There was another post on here the other day about boxes. The boxes are giving to the store separately to the watch and cards. Rolex will send the watches out using expensive insured delivery but the inexpensive boxes sent my cheeper means. The ad box them up in house so prob put yours in a different box to what its suppose to be. Dont worry just enjoy your watch all sounds normal.
harrisonkris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:11 AM   #25
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

I think you need to be honest with yourself.
If you are doubting the seller, and this what you are doing otherwise you will be sleeping, even the confirmation from the AD that they indeed sold that piece 1 year ago will not really solve your doubts.
A seller that you don't trust might have swapped parts and built some franken out of one good watch. Who is going to guarantee that this didn't happen?
You are considering the eventuality that what you have is a complete fake!

Bring it to a RSC and get it authenticated. You will sleep better.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:11 AM   #26
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
All my Rolex watches were bought from the same AD. All the boxes have subtle differences. Not a cause for concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:16 AM   #27
envuks

So in my experience ADs don’t like to “confirm authenticity.”

It shocked me in my first experience. Cliff notes:

- I was selling a watch I purchased from said AD 8-9 years prior.
- called and asked AD watchmaker, who I am on a first name basis with, if he’d confirm authenticity of this piece for my buyer. It would make the buyer more comfortable.
- the watchmaker apologized that he wouldn’t be able to perform that service / action. He was willing to inform the buyer that I had purchased the watch from the AD and when.

My initial reaction was one of frustration, but I was gracious as always in the moment. Upon reflecting, I figured it was something like unable to confirm the watch was in fact the same original watch I purchased (despite serial matching). Anything is possible and I simply imagined the AD has no upside to providing an opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:18 AM   #28
77T

Advice required - sleepless nights from recent purchase.

Quote:

It is not “baseless” - it is cautious - perhaps an abundance of caution by your AD. AD’s don’t perform such a service.

BTW, Rolex does not re-register watches by swiping the original warranty card. The system isn’t built for that purpose. They don’t track a chain of ownership in a registry like some brands do.

If you need service, you will present the watch and the card to the RSC directly, or via shipment, or via an AD (but I suspect you won’t use that AD again)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:18 AM   #29
georgekart
"TRF" Member

There are variations of boxes. Buy the seller and the watch. Not the box and even not the papers. This link shows how to check the warranty card if you have that type of warranty card. Check under UV and check the lines under magnification. Some fake cards apparently pass this as well already but it's unlikely. And finally, check the watch. Send pics of the watch here. (You might need 10 posts before that.) Check the weight (116622 should have a platinum bezel so I assume fakes are noticeably, but not a lot, lighter). If the watch checks out, that's all that matters.

As for AD not confirming the sale, I don't know what privacy laws are like in Australia. I know that in some countries privacy laws would prevent them from sharing whether that watch was sold by them.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 09:22 AM   #30
harrisonkris66
"TRF" Member

Do people really swap parts out? Surley not what would be the benefits?
harrisonkris66 is offline   Reply With Quote