The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 January 2021, 07:24 PM   #1
khalifam
"TRF" Member

16710....ln

Hey all,

Looking at purchasing a GMT Master ii, I've just noticed that the service paperwork says 16710LN but has a pepsi insert, also comes with the two other inserts.

I thought no problem, called my AD asked to be put through to Rolex Service, asked them to check the serial number and if I can have the insert changed... And yep, they stated they can only put a LN bezel on it and if the watch ever came to them they would have to put it back to Geneva specs.

I remember in the past I've purchased a 16700 and 16710 but avoided the LN models (I can't even remember why now) I do travel to London regularly and always felt that being able to visit St James and asking them to change the insert was quite cool... Would the LN be a deal breaker? What about if I wanted to sell it on in the future? Would it be an issue?

I've done so much reading on this in the past but can't remember now... Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 09:45 PM   #2
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing

They know exactly with which insert your watch was originally put together. No choice after that.
Old 26 January 2021, 11:52 PM   #3
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

You said that it comes with all three inserts. Put on the LN when service time comes! That way all should be good

For the 16710, condition is what matters the most to me, then you can have inserts swapped as you want! No one will stop you on the street to ensure you have the original insert
Old 27 January 2021, 12:35 AM   #4
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
I picked up a 16710 "coke" last summer, including a separate pepsi insert. Rolex Green tag says LN. Rolex Dallas service paperwork (2/2020) says BLRO. Don't know what happened to the original LN insert or when it was replaced?
rmagoo57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 12:38 AM   #5
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

There seems to be inconsistent handling of this at different RSCs on different days. But in general if you are aware of the limitations and paying less up front for an LN then it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker. Down the road if you go to sell it, it will likely have the same reduced value, perhaps even more so if RSC continues to become more overbearing.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 05:21 AM   #6
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
There seems to be inconsistent handling of this at different RSCs on different days. But in general if you are aware of the limitations and paying less up front for an LN then it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker. Down the road if you go to sell it, it will likely have the same reduced value, perhaps even more so if RSC continues to become more overbearing.
What would be the limitations? And how less do you think one should pay for a LN compared to a BLRO? Just want to get some thoughts on this.... I'm genuinely intrigued

khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 06:02 AM   #7
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalifam View Post
What would be the limitations? And how less do you think one should pay for a LN compared to a BLRO? Just want to get some thoughts on this.... I'm genuinely intrigued

By limitation I meant let's say you prefer the Pepsi look so that's what you always wear and over time you scratch up your insert. You can't just send the watch in to RSC for a full refresh and get back a nice new Pepsi. You'll be swapped back to black. Or at least you might, as this seems to be more frequently reported as time goes on. So now you have to go elsewhere for the new Pepsi insert and wonder if you are getting an authentic one, or way overpay, and all that drama. Just nice to be able to run the thing over with a car and have RSC able to replace every part, top to bottom.

The only other limitation is just financial and it's impossible to say where that will go. 5 years from now a real Pepsi 16710 could be selling for $20k or $8k. So who knows what the spread would be between it and an LN. But I think it's fairly safe to say there has never been a time when the fanbase largely preferred the black to the coke/pepsi. Seems like the two tones have always been a bit more of a desirable configuration.

I had a mint Z serial real Pepsi and desperately regret letting it go. So I ponder these same questions as I look to reacquire at some point.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote