The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2018, 05:36 AM   #91
DTNSS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Nope. Got lucky I guess I’ll take it cause I’ve never had luck obtaining hard to get pieces with the exception of a SS Daytona 116250 about 9 years ago.
Defiantly lucky. Congrats.

Westime has always pretended to not be able to put me on any waiting list if I have no prior history with them. Every watch I want, the say "no, impossible" or "can't add you to the list". No even a "we'll add you but it'll be 1, 2, 3 years", just flat out "no". I refuse to buy a watch I don't want with them to just be able to have my name on a list for the watch I actually want.
DTNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 12:16 AM   #92
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
yeah... watch buying today requires far more strategy and long term plans. Randomly buying a piece here and there from random places who happen to have a watch you like in stock really isnt a good idea anymore.

IMO everyone really needs to think about what they want their collection to be in 5 or 10 years and then chose the avenue that gets them to that point. For certain individuals sometimes the best choice is a boutique, and sometimes its a multi brand AD,and maybe sometimes its grey dealers but everyone needs to think about it in advance and mixing and matching makes it much more difficult than committing to one route.
Well what happens when you build a relationship with an AD you then get seconded overseas for work for 15 months. You return only to find that the sales person you usually deal with has left.

The same sales person who got you the Hulk, black116250, batman, Explorer 1 & 2, 5167A and 5711 blue over a 5 year period.

You now have to speak to the manager who then says she will have to check your purchase history. Comes back to you and say you bought 9 watches from us but only 2 datejust. It will be difficult to get you that Ceramic Daytona have just requested.

What do you do then?
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 06:13 AM   #93
gaeleus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
I was beyond excited to be there......my first time in an AP boutique. I was enthusiastic and very nice but they clearly didn't give a damn.
The day before I had left a message for a particular person (the same guy who runs it), and he never returned my call, nor did he even apologize for not doing so when we met face to face the following day.

It comes from the guy who runs that boutique, and whose name I won't mention, but suffice it to say, when I mentioned my experience in the BH boutique to another AP boutique after they asked me to elaborate, the response I got was "we are so sorry to hear that, but also not surprised".

There is one person there whom I heard is very good-- I believe her name is Ebony. I was hoping to find her when I got there but she wasn't working that day, unfortunately.
It's possible the person who posted a positive review about his experience there dealt with her.

Strange times we live in indeed. Ive been collecting watches for over 35 years. I started when AP was fairly obscure. Demand back then was obviously not what it is today. it was easier to source watches. I guess social media and a good economy with lots of disposable income has created this market. Don't take it personal but clearly they don't need your business and they can afford to be a holes. i would go thru a TRF.
gaeleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 06:47 AM   #94
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
In the past two weeks I've talked to every boutique except Beverly Hills. Both Miami boutiques were helpful (15400 blue purchase at the Westime now requires purchasing a ladies RO as well). NYC was abrupt but polite. Overall the Vegas Westime and Bal Harbour were both excellent, both willing to get me a blue ROC without any purchase history and Bal Harbour was willing to put me on Blue 15400 list or 15202 list with caveat that I would be waiting a long long time. (Westime said no w/out previous purchase history)
Had no dealings with beverly Hills. I recommend Bal Harbour highly and that's who I put a downpayment with. Crazy there's only 5.
Locust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:33 PM   #95
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I don't believe one second that you can't get a blue 405 or 400, they might be not easy to find but with patience I am sure you can get one, that the 202 is almost impossible to get without serious purchase history is quite possible, but the 2 others I am sure are possible to find, don't settle for second choice, at these prices you need to buy the watch you love the most, not the watch that you can get, and if ever it was not possible to get through an AD, which I highly doubt, then I think it is worth it to pay a premium and go through grey, as long as the premium is reasonable and not more than 3-4k, and not almost double the price like on the PP 5711. don't settle for anything other than the one you want
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 02:22 AM   #96
Locust
"TRF" Member

Last blue 15400 I saw on grey sold for 24k. That’s like a 6k premium for a different color. OP, if you have your heart set on a 15400 blue call Bal Harbour and tell them you’ll wait a year. (No more 15400 blue are coming to states this year anyways. 3 different boutiques told me that)
Old 23 July 2018, 07:09 AM   #97
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I like the chrono WAY more. And they hold value just fine in this market, plus it's got better proportions IMHO...probably the pushers added to the case that make it look "right" to me.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 07:40 AM   #98
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
I like the chrono WAY more. And they hold value just fine in this market, plus it's got better proportions IMHO...probably the pushers added to the case that make it look "right" to me.
I agree I like the RO chrono more, it's much nicer than the time and date models, the new blue dial with silver subdials is just amazing
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 08:18 AM   #99
wiswrist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Last blue 15400 I saw on grey sold for 24k. That’s like a 6k premium for a different color. OP, if you have your heart set on a 15400 blue call Bal Harbour and tell them you’ll wait a year. (No more 15400 blue are coming to states this year anyways. 3 different boutiques told me that)
My blue 15400 is coming this year (probably Sept./Oct.) ... As far as I know, they don’t have any more allocations available for 2018 (all allocations have a deposit down) but I know the NY boutique has some more deliveries this year.
Old 23 July 2018, 08:30 AM   #100
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac10000 View Post
My blue 15400 is coming this year (probably Sept./Oct.) ... As far as I know, they don’t have any more allocations available for 2018 (all allocations have a deposit down) but I know the NY boutique has some more deliveries this year.
Probably they meant none available for allocations as all spoken for. Didn’t get a whole lot of info out of New York except done for 2018. Call back at end of the year. Felt like NY just wanted to get off the phone.
Old 23 July 2018, 08:54 AM   #101
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Because of my experience at beverly hills, Jerome at Bal Harbour was going to get me a 15400 blue by the end of the year.........but as I posted earlier today, I decided the 15450 is going to fit much better, and I lucked into a blue 15450 that was an extra piece shipped by AP HQ.

It should arrive Tuesday/Wed
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 08:56 AM   #102
wiswrist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Probably they meant none available for allocations as all spoken for. Didn’t get a whole lot of info out of New York except done for 2018. Call back at end of the year. Felt like NY just wanted to get off the phone.
That's probably what they meant. The same thing happened to me in mid-2017 ... they told me to wait until 2018. I put my deposit down in January when they received their 2018 allocations. Last I heard, they had 200-300 names on their blue 15400 and 15202 "interested" lists. This year has been crazy ...
Old 23 July 2018, 09:22 AM   #103
Locust
"TRF" Member

It’s insane all of a sudden. Two years ago I called my Rolex AD and said I want a Hulk, also go ahead and put me on a list for a Daytona. I had never bought a watch from them. Had a hulk on my wrist in less than a week and got my Daytona last year. Now 2-300 people on a list for an $18k watch that only tells time and date. Just insane. Feel lucky I got a chrono allocation for the blue dial. Glad you got your watch Bruin!!!
Old 24 July 2018, 02:29 AM   #104
wiswrist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s insane all of a sudden. Two years ago I called my Rolex AD and said I want a Hulk, also go ahead and put me on a list for a Daytona. I had never bought a watch from them. Had a hulk on my wrist in less than a week and got my Daytona last year. Now 2-300 people on a list for an $18k watch that only tells time and date. Just insane. Feel lucky I got a chrono allocation for the blue dial. Glad you got your watch Bruin!!!
It is insane how quickly it all shifted ... pretty much happened overnight too ... okay, maybe over the course of ~6 months, but not a gradual multi-year change as I would have expected.
Old 30 July 2018, 06:25 AM   #105
Andrew NYC
2024 Pledge Member

Oh I long for the good ole days.....

It seems that AP has followed in the footsteps of Rolex and Patek when it comes to their signature SS pieces. It wasn't that long ago that you could, with a little effort, track down any of their watches at MSRP. Not so anymore.

Not that long ago (about 5 yrs ago) that I picked up my SS 15202 from an AP AD at a discount (I think I paid around $18K). I didn't have a history with the AD nor had I even purchased an AP previously, but alas these were different times. At the time there were quite a few options for getting at retail. Hopefully this "shortage" or whatever it is will come to an end in the near future. Until then I suspect we'll see and hear more of the same stories across the top brands.

-andrew

IMG_0296 by Andrew Cohen, on Flickr

Last edited by Andrew NYC; 30 July 2018 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote