The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 April 2019, 03:52 AM   #1
jsmith87
"TRF" Member

First Time Owner Question

Hi All,

I got a brand new Sub with the blue dial and yellow gold/oyster steel watch yesterday from an authorized dealer.

I checked the watch carefully at the store and kept in box until I got home, when I looked closer noticed 3-4 small light scratches on the bracelet clasp. I understand that the watch will have wear and tear but this was straight from the factory, should I be concerned and have them polish it again? Spending this much on a new item I would be the one to mark it up, so I am not even sure if these came about as they were taking off the plastic. They are visible when light is put on them.

Thanks
jsmith87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 04:19 AM   #2
WV2019
"TRF" Member

Got any closeup pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WV2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 04:26 AM   #3
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
If they’re light surface stuff, I’d ignore. You’ll have your own there in no time.

If they’re deeper, you have to decide whether it’s worth the hassle now, or wait til service time. 90% chance it would be a he-said, she-said about who scratched the clasp at this point.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 04:27 AM   #4
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Post pics?

Maybe they scratched it when they sized it for you?

If they are tiny scratches you might’ve scratched it without noticing

When I had that watch, most scratches were from my shirt cuff I think
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 04:29 AM   #5
cswjames
"TRF" Member

If you are sure you didn't cause them then maybe take it back to them and see what they say. You have the right to perfection when you're buying a new Rolex and while you should expect light scratches on the clasp almost as soon as you put the watch on, at least you've done them, not the guy in the shop who sized your bracelet. It's for you to decide if taking it back is more hassle than it's worth. Most guys on here, especially those who have owned many nice watches, will tell you not to sweat it. They are almost certainly right but it's harder to do that as a first time owner - we tend to obsess! They do sound like minor scratches though and I made my first clasp scratches on my first new Rolex within 12 hours.
cswjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 05:14 AM   #6
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

No big deal. You'll have them on there by the end of the first day you wear it either way. If the warranty card is dated the correct date, you're good to go.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 06:03 AM   #7
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Use one of these and you will be away laughing:

I have used this on my clasp and it is amazing. It erased a year's worth of wear and tear in less than 5 minutes.

"Bergeon Brushed Titanium, Steel, Gold Refinishing Pen for Watches Scratch Removal & 3 Refill Tips"
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 07:21 AM   #8
poidog81
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Use one of these and you will be away laughing:

I have used this on my clasp and it is amazing. It erased a year's worth of wear and tear in less than 5 minutes.

"Bergeon Brushed Titanium, Steel, Gold Refinishing Pen for Watches Scratch Removal & 3 Refill Tips"

Only on the brushed portion. For the polished areas use a jewelry polishing cloth and they’ll come right off.
poidog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 07:37 AM   #9
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith87 View Post
Hi All,

I got a brand new Sub with the blue dial and yellow gold/oyster steel watch yesterday from an authorized dealer.

I checked the watch carefully at the store and kept in box until I got home, when I looked closer noticed 3-4 small light scratches on the bracelet clasp. I understand that the watch will have wear and tear but this was straight from the factory, should I be concerned and have them polish it again? Spending this much on a new item I would be the one to mark it up, so I am not even sure if these came about as they were taking off the plastic. They are visible when light is put on them.

Thanks
First and foremost, congratulations on an awesome watch. The Bluesy is an amazing Sub and an excellent first Rolex to own!

Pictures would be helpful. If they are super minor, surface-level scratches on the polished part of the bracelet then I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. You will be adding more of those within the first few days of actually wearing the watch yourself. No matter how careful you are with the watch, you'll quickly be amazed (or horrified) by how these little scratches start to accumulate.

Consider the seller's perspective here (don't take this the wrong way). You went in, inspected the watch, and completed the purchase. You then give them a ring a little later saying you just noticed some scratches "when you got home." Why should they believe you? What do you think is appropriate recompense? If we were talking about some major scratches, I could see it being worth putting up a stink about it... but if we are talking about a few very minor scratches on the polished bracelet (where you're going to see the most "love marks" over time), is it really worth the trouble?
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 08:50 AM   #10
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forum. Could be shop wear. It’s going to scratch anyway. Don’t sweat it and enjoy your new watch.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 11:31 AM   #11
timeisfathaoftruth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Daytona,GMT,YM
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks
When was sticker over the clasp removed and who removed it???
Old 25 April 2019, 11:57 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .

I checked the watch carefully at the store and kept in box until I got home, when I looked closer noticed 3-4 small light scratches on the bracelet clasp. . . .
Thanks
After you wear it for 10 minutes, it is unlikely that you would be able to tell which scratches are which.
Old 25 April 2019, 12:09 PM   #13
Mohawkman450
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
If u even look at anything polished Rolex the wrong way it will scratch !
Mohawkman450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:23 PM   #14
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

i have the same watch --

just put it on for a few days and the scratches you see now will get lost in the many more scratches you'll put on the clasp .. its the way things go .. enjoy the watch.
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 12:32 PM   #15
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.

Perfect for a new brushed surface.

But you will have to brush all of the SS on the bracelet and case because you will never match the original finish doing it that way.
And it will look

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:31 PM   #16
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Pics of the scratches?
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 03:36 PM   #17
Weasel20
"TRF" Member

I thought I had the same thing a few weeks ago when I got my no date Sub but when I looked closer the clasp had stickers still on it and there was just a flaw in the sticker. I ended up finding a bunch of stickers on it that at first glance did not appear to be there. I suspect that is the case for you also.
Weasel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 08:49 AM   #18
jsmith87
"TRF" Member

hi all, appreciate all the responses. I took it back to AD and they cleaned it up, now they are gone and I can make my own marks. The watch is gorgeous. She did not ask any questions and took it back of the store to the 'watch maker' onsite and cleaned it up.
Old 26 April 2019, 08:50 AM   #19
jsmith87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
First and foremost, congratulations on an awesome watch. The Bluesy is an amazing Sub and an excellent first Rolex to own!

Pictures would be helpful. If they are super minor, surface-level scratches on the polished part of the bracelet then I probably wouldn't worry too much about it. You will be adding more of those within the first few days of actually wearing the watch yourself. No matter how careful you are with the watch, you'll quickly be amazed (or horrified) by how these little scratches start to accumulate.

Consider the seller's perspective here (don't take this the wrong way). You went in, inspected the watch, and completed the purchase. You then give them a ring a little later saying you just noticed some scratches "when you got home." Why should they believe you? What do you think is appropriate recompense? If we were talking about some major scratches, I could see it being worth putting up a stink about it... but if we are talking about a few very minor scratches on the polished bracelet (where you're going to see the most "love marks" over time), is it really worth the trouble?
they were minor surface level
Old 26 April 2019, 09:39 AM   #20
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Don't have an answer without pics.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 09:41 AM   #21
Lol-x
Facilitator

You're lucky, some places charge a premium for scratches.

e.g. (Rolex that has conquered Mt. Everest).

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 10:49 AM   #22
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congratulations on your new Bluesy. Glad the AD took care of it for you.
datejustrms is offline   Reply With Quote