The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 November 2007, 07:39 AM   #61
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
I like those Alpha watches. Obviously they lean very much on the design of classic Rolex watches, but they are what I call "honest copies" since they don't PRETEND to be Rolex (not having the Rolex writing on the dial, etc.).

Since the PN Daytona is WAY out of reach for me, but I like the design of the PN, I just might get one of those "PN Daytona" Alphas.

Hey, what can I risk with 115 US $? Well, 115 Dollars at most, and I can live with that!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2007, 08:06 AM   #62
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
This may sound crazy but I got into bidding against someone for the white/black sub dials for the PN Alpha. I paid near $175 then was angry I overpaid, sold it to a guy for $100 cuz I was mad, after 3 months offered to buy it back for the same price, sold it again for reasons I don't know, bought the watch back for slightly more than $120 then finally sold it for $200. I think I got it out of my system. The reason I finally sold it is because I wanted to dive with it but the last owner removed the caseback to see the movement and I figured I would be better starting off with a brand new one.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2007, 08:20 AM   #63
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

You could have bought it for US 115 directly from the Alpha watch website!

Anyway, nice watch!

Old 11 November 2007, 09:09 AM   #64
mikey
"TRF" Member

Well that small piece of info was not disclosed to me. I had no idea there was a website for alpha watches. I thought it was just an ebay store I would have bought five of them for the price Padi paid at that time. There was a point they stopped production and sold out maybe why I was able to sell for $200 when I did. The white dial with black subs was the popular one. The one to get. The watch is a real 30 min stopwatch and its heavy and the band is awesome. Its manual wind. I pretty much activated the stopwatch to run all day because I didnt like it at the 12 position all the time. The only thing it needs was a clearcaseback to show that blue screws movement.
Old 11 November 2007, 09:47 AM   #65
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Since the PN Daytona is WAY out of reach for me, but I like the design of the PN, I just might get one of those "PN Daytona" Alphas.
Bo, for the price you can't beat it. I got one for $95 in the group buy that Lt. Dan put together last December and it's still going strong.

One of those would save some mileage on your Daytona.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2007, 10:09 AM   #66
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Al

First I'm gonna pick up my SS GMT IIc.

After that I might go for that Alpha PN, but I have also considered having my own MKII watch built (www.mkIIwatches.com), namely the "Stingray".

Old 11 November 2007, 10:40 AM   #67
mikey
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the Link, those MK watches look really nice. Price is nice but the Alpha PN is just an addictive watch to wear moreso IMHO
Old 11 November 2007, 07:43 PM   #68
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Well that small piece of info was not disclosed to me. I had no idea there was a website for alpha watches. I thought it was just an ebay store I would have bought five of them for the price Padi paid at that time. The only thing it needs was a clearcaseback to show that blue screws movement.
Well the link and dealer name that I got it off via fleabay if you looked at his ebay store there was a very clear link to the Alpha web site,with all the site retail prices.The blue screws are just artificially coloured, and not really blued by application with a flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Bo, for the price you can't beat it. I got one for $95 in the group buy that Lt. Dan put together last December and it's still going strong.
Could not agree more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2007, 01:00 AM   #69
mikey
"TRF" Member

I got caught up in the bidding and did not pay too much attention to any link but in the end I sold the watch for way more than I ever seen a PN Alpha resold.
Old 26 December 2007, 10:23 AM   #70
bbqbrew
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the discussion and info on a great value. I am buying one tomorrow.
Chris
bbqbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2009, 07:36 AM   #71
adam78
"TRF" Member

Having only recently joined this forum and found this thread, I thought I'd chime in with my experiences with the exact same Alpha watch.

I bought mine early this past autumn from the Alpha-Watch website. A day after I began wearing it, the black bezel "insert" came unglued. I thought that was a bit cheap, but some superglue did the trick.

The watch has always kept great time, chronograph functions performed well, and other than the bezel problem noted above, has felt of high quality.

However, regarding the water resistance, I had a nasty shock during a vacation in Puerto Rico, swimming in a pool, when I noticed a large drop of water under the edge of the crystal, and condensation around it. All the pushers were properly screwed down, but lo-and-behold, there was a prominent internal crack in the crystal just adjacent to the droplet. For the life of me I could not remember hitting the watch against anything to produce such a crack. After a couple of days, the water droplet and condensation disappeared, and I wore the watch again, but now I will take care to never get it wet. Fortunately the crack is not that noticeable, being along the crystal's edge. I'm sure it'd cost more than the watch to get a new one and have it installed...
Old 14 February 2009, 12:22 AM   #72
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam78 View Post
Having only recently joined this forum and found this thread, I thought I'd chime in with my experiences with the exact same Alpha watch.

I bought mine early this past autumn from the Alpha-Watch website. A day after I began wearing it, the black bezel "insert" came unglued. I thought that was a bit cheap, but some superglue did the trick.

The watch has always kept great time, chronograph functions performed well, and other than the bezel problem noted above, has felt of high quality.

However, regarding the water resistance, I had a nasty shock during a vacation in Puerto Rico, swimming in a pool, when I noticed a large drop of water under the edge of the crystal, and condensation around it. All the pushers were properly screwed down, but lo-and-behold, there was a prominent internal crack in the crystal just adjacent to the droplet. For the life of me I could not remember hitting the watch against anything to produce such a crack. After a couple of days, the water droplet and condensation disappeared, and I wore the watch again, but now I will take care to never get it wet. Fortunately the crack is not that noticeable, being along the crystal's edge. I'm sure it'd cost more than the watch to get a new one and have it installed...
Well first not sure how the bezel insert came un-seated. I know I wore mine for quite a few weeks before I noticed there was a protective plastic sticker over bezel insert.The watch is not rated to any water resistance, only the standard 30m which is splash proof and not meant to be submersed.But after a bit of regulation agree about accuracy it still is one of my most accurate mechanical watches,and hasnot missed a beat in well over two years. Crystal is acrylic so should be quite cheap to replace by any high street watchmaker..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2009, 04:27 PM   #73
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Is the EBay seller the best place to pick one of these up? I'm looking pretty hard at a blue "Sub" for an early birthday present.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2009, 08:24 AM   #74
adam78
"TRF" Member

Got a new crystal for my Alpha "Paul Newman"

As I wrote a few months ago, I had managed to crack the crystal on this watch while on vacation. I paid $10 (shipped) from the manufacturer for a replacement crystal, and brought it to my watchmaker last week. Interestingly, he told me that both the original and replacement appeared to be slightly loose in place, even glued, so he recommended installing a better-fit domed crystal (cost an additional $25). Now it is pressure-tested to at least 1 atm.

Here are some photos. Sorry, I just realized I need to dust it off!

Before:

After:

Old 9 August 2009, 05:33 PM   #75
foxint
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enicar
Alpha Apul Newman with Sea-Gull Movement

Hi Guys,

Surprise to find an Alpha here. They have recently opend their doors in the USA and selling quite well.

The important thing for me is the MOVEMENT.

Yes it can legitimatly be called a Venus 175 - updates to 21,000 bph and jewelled to 21 (I think). Made in China by Sea-Gull - the premier watch and movement maker.

Venus sold the rgihts and the tooling to Sea-Gull in the early 1960's, Sea-Gull just have improved on it. I have a model 0437 and it works like a dream.

I am a bit of a Sea-Gull fan. They do make some cheap stuff, but their good stuff is really good. I am happy to share any of my Sea-Gull knowledge - certainly an interesting brand.
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1,000,001,014-01.jpg (47.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Sea-GullST1901-02.jpg (78.9 KB, 123 views)
foxint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 12:07 PM   #76
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
They're nice watches, but is there some reason they can't get over 50M water resistance? If their divers were good to 100M or more, they'd be extremely popular.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote