The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 October 2005, 05:04 AM   #1
----

Are you a watch collector? Do you....

have a "collecting strategy"?

I have been thinking about watch collecting in general. I'm not even sure I would consider myself a collector, since to me that means that you have a goal in mind. I would consider myself an enthusiast more than a collector, since I basically buy what I like at the moment (and can afford, of course ), with little regard to how it might fit in a collection. However, if there is one rule I have it's that I won't buy more than one of a certain type of watch (at least I haven't yet). For example, I have my JLC Master Moon as a triple date with moon phase so I probably would not buy another watch with the same features.

I know there are many out there that collect all of a certain brand, or collect all types of a certain complication (one popular one seems to be chronographs) so I wondered if anyone here is a collector in that sense, and if so, what is your goal?
Old 11 October 2005, 05:09 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good thread, Avalon.

In my case, as much as I do love all kinds of watches, I've decided to restrict my collection to Rolex only.

Secondly, 'cause this can be one helluva costly affair, I like to keep my collection down to a comfortable TWO Rollies at a time - one flashy and one SS for regular wear (I won't say 'beater' 'cause I never really beat them at all!).

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2005, 05:59 AM   #3
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

If I could afford it I would love to collect but unfortunatley I have other commitments namely kids which cost a lot.

I have a SD, a vitage Omega,a Raymond Weil and I recently bought a watch which is styled on a Panerai. ( some will frown on that )
I really would love to add a real Panerai to my small collection someday.
I guess I'm quite lucky though because I don't fall in love with that many watches. For example even if I had the money I wouldn't buy a Daytona because it doesn't smile at me. I really have to love the watch to want to buy it.
Old 11 October 2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I wouldn't call myself a collector. I've got 5 Rollies, including 2 DD's, 2 DJ's and my trusty GMT. One DD and both DJs have Roman dials, so in that sense, you could say I collect Roman dial Rolexes. But I also have a JLC Master Geographic, a Gerard Perregaux ww.tc, an Oris worldtimer, and a Steinhausen classic. So it's somewhat of an eclectic collection.

To the extent I would consider myself a collector, I have nearly every flavor of Casio analog/digital watches with multi-time zones, memory, chrono, calendar, and stopwatch functions. I have 10 of them, all different styles. But since I got into high end watchs, I haven't worn any of my Casios.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2005, 06:10 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well myself love all vintage any brands,but have had a major sort out
Doubt if I will buy any big money watches, in the next few years.But my
interest in military watches has been rekindled,going to try and stick to British
military, but still will keep looking at boot sales for that elusive special find.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I would not consider myself a watch collector, more of a watch owner. In my possession are several different makes but I would not say they made up a collection, they are just watches I bought that I liked and could afford at the time.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2005, 11:27 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I am an enthusiast not a collector, why you ask? Because a collector would not flip his collection as much as me.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2005, 11:57 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
JJ must be a super flipper.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2005, 03:26 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
JJ must be a super flipper.
Hmmm....let's see now....16 Rollies, at least 10 Omegas, 2 Tags, 1 Raymond Weil, 4 Longines, 1 Seiko, 1 Mido.....yep, I was a flipper.....trying to get over that addiction now!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2005, 05:57 AM   #10
----

The key word being "trying", right JJ?
Old 17 October 2005, 05:22 AM   #11
Alan From New York

Watch: And Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
have a "collecting strategy"?

I know there are many out there that collect all of a certain brand, or collect all types of a certain complication (one popular one seems to be chronographs) so I wondered if anyone here is a collector in that sense, and if so, what is your goal?
When I started "collecting," I aspired to have mostly alarm watches. Somehow, along the way, I seem to have picked up more GMT watches.

Next targets are the Chronoswiss Timemaster, because it seems to be the only watch with a Unitas movement that hacks. (Other desireable features, of course.)

And the Breguet Marine Grande Date, which, paradoxically, doesn't hack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg standard.jpg (26.0 KB, 28 views)
Alan From New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2005, 09:34 AM   #12
Manatee
Banned

I have a bunch of watches, but I don't consider myself a collector. I have several expensive suits, but I don't consider myself a suit collector.

I just happen to be able to afford moderately expensive watches. I can't afford the truly expensive ones, although there are some that I really like.

I pretty much just buy what I want to wear. I've learned some lessons along the way -- chiefly: Don't buy sport watches containing yellow/pink gold. The only watches I've ever sold are a steel/gold Rolex Sub and a yellow gold Rolex Day-Date. (Ok, some don't consider the Day-Date a sport watch, but I don't consider it a dress watch either.)

If I were to "collect", I'd buy mostly vintage Patek, Audemars, and Vacheron. Not the very expensive ones, but nice classic ones with notable movements.
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2005, 04:19 AM   #13
20vrr4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
I would not consider myself a watch collector, more of a watch owner. In my possession are several different makes but I would not say they made up a collection, they are just watches I bought that I liked and could afford at the time.
That's it. Not static but changing. I try to keep an open mind and appreciate that my taste is evolving. Sometimes i get it right........ sometimes it is expensive. A collectors strategy is very different to watch "possessor and enjoyer". I am definitely in the latter category. It is expensive because the "market" is quite opinionated. Either play safe or buy well and learn to keep. Regards Robert
20vrr4 is offline   Reply With Quote