The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 August 2018, 11:10 AM   #1
normaple
"TRF" Member

Rolex 3139 Movement 1941

Hi guys,

I'd like to get your input if the attached Photo 1 of 3139 movement is an original as far has seen on this photo. I researched 3139s from the same period and most movements have "PATENTED SUPERBALANCE" gear as seen on Photo 2.

1. Is the largest visible gear in Photo 1 not an original and a replacement?
2. Or some of the 3139 movements in the 1941 period were manufactured with the largest gear without the "PATENTED SUPERBALANCE" engraved on that particular gear?.
3. On the other hand, was the non-engraved gear the norm in the 1941 period and the "PATENTED SUPERBALANCE" engraved gears are replacements when these movements were serviced?

Thanks for your help!

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.png
normaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 01:40 PM   #2
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

That is the Ratchet Wheel. Honestly it looks like it is turned upside down.

Do you need one if not?

I’m sure I have one.

The movement is caliber 710 adjusted to 2 positions. The movement is an Aegler based 10.5 Hunter. They came in MANY Rolex watches in many different grades and jewel counts and balance and hairspring configurations...flat and Breguet overcoil. The super balance was pretty much standard faire in all by 41 and it would likely have been on the ratchet wheel. There is another ratchet wheel style that is also appropriate that is a multi finished affair with no writing at all. It has chamfered teeth and a satin finish at that point and then a mirrored bright finish dish recess toward the screw. That is either not the right wheel or it is turned over. The screw is recessed and the teeth are chamfered on the wheel in photo 2. This looks like the backside of the wheel in photo 1.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2018, 12:03 AM   #3
normaple
"TRF" Member

R.W.T., thank you for the detailed input!

So the Ratchet Wheel is turned upside down according to your analysis. Why would the guy who serviced this watch place the Ratchet Wheel upside down? Any valid reason?

I plan to purchase this watch and the Ratchet Wheel didn't look right without the engraved "PATENTED SUPERBALANCED". The seller mentions "Very high condition on this all original Rolex 'Army' in stainless steel. Model No. 3139 produced in 1941. Movement is hand wound with 17 jewels and adjusted to two positions.....". Apart from the Ratchet Wheel, other parts look original and in working condition by observing the photos.

Yes, I may need the original Ratchet Wheel if it the current one is not an original or the engraving is damaged. If so, I'll get get in touch with you.

Many thanks!
normaple is offline   Reply With Quote