The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 August 2018, 01:40 AM   #1
greanie
"TRF" Member

Advice on buying a "000" submariner

Folks,

I have a birth year (1987) that coincides with a special version of the Submariner "000". I would like to add a decent example of this reference to the collection.

Are there any good Buying guides . . . or things i should look out for when purchasing a 30+ year old watch. Im just slightly concerned with purchasing a "Franken-Watch" or overpaying for the example im able to find (Dont want to pay $9K for a watch that is in $6K condition).

Thanks for the help and info.
greanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 02:08 AM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

Just post pics of any Watches that seriously interest You here and the Members will help.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 02:09 AM   #3
Mik8yu
"TRF" Member

Not quite the expert. Acquiring a 168000 did cross my mind and I went ahead with it at one point. There are quite a few out there that has the extra 0 etched on much later in hopes of fetching the ‘rare’ transitional model kind of price.

The certificate never says 168000 so usually it’s differentiated by range of the serial number and the Caseback.

The one that I got and returned was minutes after leaving the shop I found out the hands were glowing like luminova where the dial was not. That’s when I know the hands were serviced and that was not in the description. There was another one where it was sporting a matte dial for no good reason Look it up. 8)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mik8yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 02:46 AM   #4
Storky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
I researched this about 6-7 years ago. The ones I have seen always seem to have the engraving of last ‘0’ slightly off which will ring alarm bells. The serial number should give you a bit of confidence that the watch is likely to be correct..... I can’t remember the range offhand but I’m sure someone here will help.
Old 24 August 2018, 03:18 AM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storky View Post
I researched this about 6-7 years ago. The ones I have seen always seem to have the engraving of last ‘0’ slightly off which will ring alarm bells.
The last zero was off on many genuine 168000s, if not most of them. Why would that ring alarm bells?

Quote:
The serial number should give you a bit of confidence that the watch is likely to be correct..... I can’t remember the range offhand but I’m sure someone here will help.
The range is late 1986 serials through 1989 from what I've seen. Some sites claim 1988-1989 or 1989 only but that's not the case from genuine examples sold in the past.

HTH
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 04:49 AM   #6
Storky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
The last zero was off on many genuine 168000s, if not most of them. Why would that ring alarm bells?
Unless some knows that fact would it not ring alarm bells? .... it did with me until I learned otherwise when I researched it properly.
For what it’s worth mine is R38**** serial with papers dated Aug 1988
Old 24 August 2018, 04:58 AM   #7
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Unless some knows that fact would it not ring alarm bells? .... it did with me until I learned otherwise when I researched it properly.
Exactly. It’s not exactly common knowledge that most of the last 0’s are off.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 06:23 AM   #8
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
For what it’s worth mine is R38**** serial with papers dated Aug 1988
In that case you should also say that while the last zero being off might ring alarm bells, it's common to see and not cause for concern. Otherwise, someone reading your post might point out that it's common to see and not cause for concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Exactly. It’s not exactly common knowledge that most of the last 0’s are off.
Everyone I know knows this so I can't say what's common knowledge and what isn't. It's in the Mondani books, and they're pretty common amongst collectors.

037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 09:48 PM   #9
greanie
"TRF" Member

Excellent responses! Thanks to all member for their input . . I have learned some info here.

Up to this point I have only ever searched in AD’s for new watches, where would you all suggest I start my search for this “old” watch? (And where should I avoid?)

Old 25 August 2018, 02:19 AM   #10
photoguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik8yu View Post
Not quite the expert. Acquiring a 168000 did cross my mind and I went ahead with it at one point. There are quite a few out there that has the extra 0 etched on much later in hopes of fetching the ‘rare’ transitional model kind of price.

The certificate never says 168000 so usually it’s differentiated by range of the serial number and the Caseback.

The one that I got and returned was minutes after leaving the shop I found out the hands were glowing like luminova where the dial was not. That’s when I know the hands were serviced and that was not in the description. There was another one where it was sporting a matte dial for no good reason Look it up. 8)

FWIW- The hands and dial on my 168000 have long since lost their luminescence but the pearl on the insert still shines nicely though for a much shorter period than it used to. And you're correct, my certificate reads '16800'
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2018, 06:42 AM   #11
greanie
"TRF" Member

Chrono24 ? Is this a good spot to search for classic “000” reference?

Old 28 August 2018, 08:52 AM   #12
Nick9
"TRF" Member

I bought my 168000 from 1987 about two years ago. It was well taken care of--which in my case means that it was regularly taken for service to Rolex. So, service dial, etc., etc.

Still a great watch to own.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2018, 09:20 AM   #13
greanie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick9 View Post
I bought my 168000 from 1987 about two years ago. It was well taken care of--which in my case means that it was regularly taken for service to Rolex. So, service dial, etc., etc.

Still a great watch to own.

Glad to hear you are happy with your watch purchase. . How did you source it?

Old 28 August 2018, 10:50 AM   #14
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greanie View Post
Glad to hear you are happy with your watch purchase. . How did you source it?

Asked a local jeweller friend to keep an eye out for a used Sub. Lucked out on the vintage; I only collect vintage.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote