The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 August 2018, 05:37 AM   #1
avilhena
"TRF" Member

Question about Rolex 4767 Jean Claude Killy

I’ve been offered to buy this 4767. Would like to know your opinion on it! The invoice states that it has been restaured and had the dial replaced. How much does this affect its value?

Thanks.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Old 28 August 2018, 05:49 AM   #2
avilhena
"TRF" Member

Here is the invoice:

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Old 28 August 2018, 05:59 AM   #3
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Hard to judge from your pics. Guessing Rolex repainted the dial? Value wise that destroys the watch if that is the case. Perhaps some buyers like one-off restorations like this but normally it kills value. Like really kills. If the dial is not refinished but merely cleaned it affects value less. Very hard to say much from your blurry pics and that invoice.

I can imagine the seller wants a big chunk of change as he spent half a fortune to restore it? He should be able to tell you more than just showing the invoice for 31k CHF.
Old 28 August 2018, 06:43 AM   #4
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Portugal uses the Euro so is that really 31,000 euro which would be $36,000US for a new dial replacement? That is mad if true.

That paper looks like just a quote, not a receipt. A Rolex receipt usually says payment received at the bottom.
Old 28 August 2018, 09:14 AM   #5
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
Portugal uses the Euro so is that really 31,000 euro which would be $36,000US for a new dial replacement? That is mad if true.

That paper looks like just a quote, not a receipt. A Rolex receipt usually says payment received at the bottom.
The price is due to the value and rarity of the chronograph models. I am sure they don't have many dials left if that is their price. The invoice is in Swiss Francs
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2018, 04:11 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Need to establish if refresh is ‘replacement’ or ‘clean’. If it was done in Geneva in their vintage department, then that could be a valuable replacement. Better photos and clarification of the work, if it was done is needed. Beautiful and rare watch.
Old 28 August 2018, 07:55 PM   #7
Mike Wood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Listen & Learn!
Ouch!

That looks like another example of massive over-restoration to the point of destruction of a rare vintage Rolex watch by the factory. Although we don't know what the condition of the watch was before restoration, I doubt that the work has added ChF 31k to its value.

Refinishing the dial on a Jean Claude Killy Datocompax takes a lot of the value away. And for that amount of expenditure I'd expect the calendar displays to be properly aligned in the dial apertures, and the strap to fit. I'm also very concerned about the severe "case cancer"...the pitting and corrosion in the mid-case is very worrying.

Putting a price on the watch, I guess it would attract an auction estimate of around US$60k, but it really is a very difficult one to gauge.

It reminds me of a factory restored vintage Patek Philippe Gondolo which sold for around GBP£16k last year at auction in Geneva, having been restored at the factory within the previous 12 months at a cost of GBP£17k...
Mike Wood is offline   Reply With Quote