The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 February 2011, 11:15 AM   #151
Cannop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I have numerous less expensive watches but I love them! At the moment I am building a collection of vintage Seiko divers - something I could never do with Rolex simply because I couldn't afford to. However I still get the same enjoyment hunting down particular models as I would if they were Rolex's. The thrill of finding a complete, original, unmolested, well cared for 60's or 70's diver doesn't diminish just because they are worth a lot less - they are still very difficult to track down in "collectors" condition. With the vintage Seiko divers because there are so many aftermarket parts available it is extremely difficult finding original, unaltered, unpolished examples, and when they do turn up they are highly sought after - you have to be quick! There are six main models to collect which represent the six changes of movements since the 6217 was first introduced. The first four models,the 6217 (65 to 68), 6105 (68 to 77), 6306 (76 to 81) and 6309 (76 - 88) are getting harder to come by in collectible condition - the later 7002's from 88 to 96 and 7S26's from 96 to the present day are considerably easier to obtain. To add to the mix some were Japanese market only and there are dial and case variations which add and detract to desirability. I currently have an example of a 6105-8110 (on its way from the US), a Japanese market 6306-7001 with Kanji daywheel and a 6309-7040. The one I will have the most difficulty finding is the 6217 - known as the 62MAS as these are very hard to come by now even in poor condition. However if a top drawer 6217 came on the market it still wouldn't command a price anywhere near a good condition mid 2000's Sub date, but that's not the point - the value isn't the driver to the collector - it's the thrill of finding and buying that elusive model.
Cannop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2011, 03:41 AM   #152
Cannop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
The one I will have the most difficulty finding is the 6217 - known as the 62MAS as these are very hard to come by now even in poor condition..
Having said that I managed to buy 2 of them this week as a job lot! One in reasonable condition and complete, the other minus it's crown and bezel. However the dials and hands are in remarkable condition on both, and they each start running almost as soon as you pick them up. One frustrating aspect of collecting these early Seiko's is parts are nigh on impossible to obtain - they stopped production of these and the one or two movement variants in the sixties and spares supplies have long been exhausted. If you are missing a movement part or damage a dial or bezel then it's headache time. These ones will be off to my watch guy for a full restoration once he's completed the ones of mine he currently has.
Cannop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 09:39 AM   #153
Ubique
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016
I have a couple Nixon watches, but before I acquired my nice watch, I mostly wore my NOOKA Zoo...

Ubique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 03:51 PM   #154
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubique View Post
I have a couple Nixon watches, but before I acquired my nice watch, I mostly wore my NOOKA Zoo...

Looks like a prisoner monitoring device.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 05:56 PM   #155
Ubique
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphotos View Post
Looks like a prisoner monitoring device.
as all watches do, in my opinion...
Ubique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 09:48 PM   #156
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I think one of the characteristics that identifies a true WIS is an appreciation of different kinds of watches at different price points. I have 18 and another on the way. The only one that gets time at all is the Sea-Dweller. But, that's why I bought it. To wear all the time, everywhere.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 03:43 AM   #157
MTsoldier87

Watch: Wtypmahckne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschy View Post
Well just wondering if anyone has anything cheap in comparison, and if they wear them at all?
I have a few citizens and I have a few tissots, but not sure that I can wear them anymore, I mean a multi thousand dollar watch one day and a multi hundred the next?

I think that I would like to sell all the lessor ones, but I wont get much for them, is it worht it?
I mean I even have acitizen aqualand from the 80's but could probalby only get less then 100$ for it, is it worht it to sell it?

what are your thoughts on some less expensive pieces?
hold onto the cheap ones. maybe one day you give one to your kid or nephew or something. maybe even sell of give one to a friend who is interested but just hasnt made the move into the watch world yet :) it's kinda what happened to me lol.
MTsoldier87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 03:55 AM   #158
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I think one of the characteristics that identifies a true WIS is an appreciation of different kinds of watches at different price points. I have 18 and another on the way. The only one that gets time at all is the Sea-Dweller. But, that's why I bought it. To wear all the time, everywhere.
Completely agree Brian. Other than Rolex, Breitling and Tudor, I have 6 "cheap" watches that get just as much wrist time, if not more.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 04:06 AM   #159
kenhiraihnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
Completely agree Brian. Other than Rolex, Breitling and Tudor, I have 6 "cheap" watches that get just as much wrist time, if not more.
+1...I just went through some of my quartz watches to set the day/date if they were not 6/2...BTW, I suspect that many WISs like me owned wrist or pocket watches at an early age, and enjoyed winding them up and hearing them tic, tic, tic...

Rolex Milgauss GV (100m 330 feet) (2010) * Rolex Submariner 5512 (200m 660 feet) (1961)
kenhiraihnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 05:24 AM   #160
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl View Post
+1...I just went through some of my quartz watches to set the day/date if they were not 6/2...BTW, I suspect that many WISs like me owned wrist or pocket watches at an early age, and enjoyed winding them up and hearing them tic, tic, tic...
Oh, yeah! My vintage Mickey Mouse does that! I love it!
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 06:40 AM   #161
Burlington
"TRF" Member

A thread resurrection for sure !

however, yes my gym watch..worn as often as I have time to go. Casio world time. Also worn it diving before I had the AP, generally been as tough as possible on it and it still somehow works !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 12:23 PM   #162
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I guess the term "cheap" is all relative.
But I own a couple of Hamiltons, a victorinox and a Citizen Eco drive, which hasnt missed a beat since I bought it over 9 years ago.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 01:25 PM   #163
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I do have a few under $500 watches (Hamilton, Swiss Army, Swatch, G-Shock) but I don't wear them very often, meaning maybe I wear one of them once a month if I'm doing something or going somewhere where I don't want to have a nice watch on. I have been meaning to pick up a Seiko or two but I just haven't gotten around to it.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 03:23 PM   #164
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I have a Tag Heuer 2000 Chrono. I got it in 1999 for like $1000, which was a fortune back then. Probably goes for like $400 now. I’ve worn it to the gym, beach, running, etc. I still use it when I need a watch that I don’t have to worry about. It is an absolute tank and will probably last forever.
Old 7 August 2018, 06:34 AM   #165
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I enjoy quite a number of "cheap" watches. Most of them as much or more than the DJ36 and Sub 16800.

My favorites include Citizen WR200 Eco-Drive (2), a $42 Casio "Duro", Swiss Army Officer, TagH Pro1000, Invicta Pro Diver 40mm w/Seiko NH35a movment, $29 on Amazon special,and my most expensive a Steinhart Ocean One Bronze ($500)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180806_103052_1533565929948_resized.jpg (266.4 KB, 349 views)
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 06:47 AM   #166
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

not anymore, i imagine ill snag a gshock to work out in soon. I did have a Hamilton for a while that i really enjoyed.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:36 AM   #167
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

G shock i wear at work, SKX007J, Swatch Hodinkee system 51
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 11:42 PM   #168
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Gshock
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #169
stockae92
"TRF" Member

how about a fun $30 Timex? Cheap enough for ya? ;-)

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 12:25 AM   #170
jimdon5822
"TRF" Member

Massive collection of Bulova, Timex, Hamilton, Swatch and other 30’s-80’s watches all sourced cheap from thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales and eBay. Even a Waltham diver a friend dug up with a metal detector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimdon5822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 06:03 AM   #171
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I have Oris, Zeno, Swatch, Suunto, and Kadloo to name just few. I particularly like my Kadloo Ocean Millenium.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 09:49 AM   #172
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Older GMTs & Subs
Enjoying this thread ... and revelations. I have the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical and it's a very nice affordable watch!
Jinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 11:48 AM   #173
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have plenty of cheap watches.

How many depends on what one calls cheap.

I have quite a few that cost under a thousand dollars and a lot of those are under five hundred. Some are under a hundred.

The price of a watch doesn't have anything to do with whether or not I like it.

My only limit is that I won't spend more than $9999 for a watch.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 10:55 AM   #174
GalaxyGuy

Watch: JLC Duometre
I have a number of "cheap" watches, including a couple of G Shocks, a Seiko 5, Swatch Sistem 51, a Seiko Alpinist, and a Hamilton Field Khaki. The Alpinist and Field Khaki cost around $350 each, so maybe that's not cheap anymore. I don't think a watch has to cost a fortune to be fun and worth the wrist time.
Old 13 April 2019, 12:31 AM   #175
Buschy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
wow looks like everyone has a cheapo also, that actually gets worn.
Buschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:14 PM   #176
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I have some monstrous Invicta Aquanoma thing that was a gift, sitting in a drawer next to the G-Shock I wear when welding, wrenching, etc.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:41 AM   #177
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
I don’t call them Cheap all watches have their own place!!!

As this Casio Royal......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:42 AM   #178
jcross
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I have 4 Shinola's and a Hamilton Khaki Pilot, I love all of them. Buying a G Shock next!
jcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:49 AM   #179
offrdmania

My one and only and its my daily wearer.

Old 14 April 2019, 06:09 AM   #180
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
I have an original Orient Mako Blue that still functions well and looks fantastic. It's my only while I'm saving for the Sub. The Orient takes a beating and shows very little wear. 200m water resistance plus it has day and date functions on a lovely navy blue sunburst dial. I think I paid about $130 for it around 9 years ago? I've only had to replace one springbar just a few months ago. Nothing else. No maintenance. Two ultrasonic cleanings in ten years (one was free, the other $10 including the new springbar). All in I've spent less than $150 on one watch over the last 10 years. That might win the cheap-o prize on this forum.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote