The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 February 2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
Icon2 Hublot versus Rolex

Until about one year ago, the brand Hublot was basically unknown to me. It was when I found a couple of pictures on the forum that I became interested in a Hublot Classic, a watch I later bought from my friend Greg (Mosco). The watch keeps time and feels very robust. I am currently waiting for my second Hublot, a Flyback Chronograph "Black Magic" which should be here by next week.

Hublot is, in my opinion, a great brand and the service is phenomenal. I have exchange a couple of emails with the CEO, Mr. Jean-Claude Biver, and he is amazing. I have not yet needed any service or have not ben in contact with Rolex, so I cannot compare the two that way. You who have owned both watches, what is your opinion?

How many Hublots do we have on this forum? Please share your beauties!

Regards,

C
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 03:30 AM   #2
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Another Hublot Carl? That's great!!! WE have to see pics of the arrival!
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
How about some pics then.
Clogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 03:35 AM   #4
G.J
"TRF" Member

My niece is now shopping for a Hublot.

I like them but I prefer ''The Coronet''..
Old 8 February 2010, 03:37 AM   #5
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

from ask men

It’s funny you chose these two timepieces as your favorites, as they both represent a holistically unexciting and overpriced approach to watchmaking. The Hublot Flyback does indeed use an “outsourced” movement; in fact, it uses the very same outsourced movement as the Chopard. Both of these watches are nothing more than exercises in marketing, which is exactly what you’ll be paying for if you purchase either of them -- a large company’s advertising budget. Do yourself a favor, spend the extra dough and buy a Rolex Daytona. After all, both the Chopard and the Hublot are nothing more than expensive Rolex knockoffs
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 03:38 AM   #6
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

heres the link

http://www.whywouldwewanttogivetheseaholesafreelink.com

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 8 February 2010 at 08:24 AM..
Old 8 February 2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Carl,

Hublot's quality is impeccable. My only critique is aimed at the first few years of the Big Bang, when they modified the 7750 to the bare minimum and called it 'Hub 44'. Basically, slapped a different swan-neck adjustment and a tungsten rotor, then called it a day. I don't mind that so much, but the pricetag associated with those models was absolutely ludicrous. Sure, cases were beautiful. In the later runs, they started adding more modifications - column wheel chronos, flybacks, rattrapantes, futbol and regatta-specific timers... Now, IMO, the brand is deserving of the acclaim and the pricetag. Would I ever pay retail or anywhere close to it for a regular BB? Nope. However, as long as purchased right, it is a wonderful addition to the collection. I presently own a Tantalum Mat Big Bang that sits in a safety deposit - holding out for a fairly priced Big Bang King

BTW - thanks for your business, once again. The flyback you're getting is awesome, that finish is amazing. Plus, the 'crispness' of the flyback function itself is comparable only to the Blancpain Le Brassus Flyback PT out of all the watches I've played with. Mind you - that's a $72,000 watch. It is almost surgical. I presently have a chrono in my personal collection, otherwise your Super B would be my Super B

Enjoy, my friend!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 03:51 AM   #8
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Mitch,

don't quote that pompous prick, man. Whoever that 'watchsnob' is - he knows as much about watches as I do about quantum physics. Couple weeks ago someone posted his unflattering review on the recent Rolex models and it was clear, he is no authority. He thrives on getting a 'rise' out of people, nothing more than that.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 8 February 2010, 03:57 AM   #9
Clogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon123456 View Post
from ask men

It’s funny you chose these two timepieces as your favorites, as they both represent a holistically unexciting and overpriced approach to watchmaking. The Hublot Flyback does indeed use an “outsourced” movement; in fact, it uses the very same outsourced movement as the Chopard. Both of these watches are nothing more than exercises in marketing, which is exactly what you’ll be paying for if you purchase either of them -- a large company’s advertising budget. Do yourself a favor, spend the extra dough and buy a Rolex Daytona. After all, both the Chopard and the Hublot are nothing more than expensive Rolex knockoffs
Well done you can use "copy and paste". How about giving your own opinion instead.
Old 8 February 2010, 04:25 AM   #10
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosco View Post
Carl,

Hublot's quality is impeccable. My only critique is aimed at the first few years of the Big Bang, when they modified the 7750 to the bare minimum and called it 'Hub 44'. Basically, slapped a different swan-neck adjustment and a tungsten rotor, then called it a day. I don't mind that so much, but the pricetag associated with those models was absolutely ludicrous. Sure, cases were beautiful. In the later runs, they started adding more modifications - column wheel chronos, flybacks, rattrapantes, futbol and regatta-specific timers... Now, IMO, the brand is deserving of the acclaim and the pricetag. Would I ever pay retail or anywhere close to it for a regular BB? Nope. However, as long as purchased right, it is a wonderful addition to the collection. I presently own a Tantalum Mat Big Bang that sits in a safety deposit - holding out for a fairly priced Big Bang King

BTW - thanks for your business, once again. The flyback you're getting is awesome, that finish is amazing. Plus, the 'crispness' of the flyback function itself is comparable only to the Blancpain Le Brassus Flyback PT out of all the watches I've played with. Mind you - that's a $72,000 watch. It is almost surgical. I presently have a chrono in my personal collection, otherwise your Super B would be my Super B

Enjoy, my friend!
Wow, Greg! I had no idea you own a Hublot. With the watches I have seen in your collection, it says something about the brand if you own one . I Googled the watch you have and it looks kickin'! You have some great taste in fine timepieces Greg!
Old 8 February 2010, 04:34 AM   #11
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambaby View Post
Wow, Greg! I had no idea you own a Hublot. With the watches I have seen in your collection, it says something about the brand if you own one . I Googled the watch you have and it looks kickin'! You have some great taste in fine timepieces Greg!
Thanks, Carl! It rarely gets any wear because tantalum is so soft, I'm afraid to ding it up. I have a dark - grey Hugo Boss suit that it looked awesome with!

Old 8 February 2010, 04:44 AM   #12
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
If there was 1 watch I was going to cheat on Rolex with it would be a Hublot... those watches look phenomenal!
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 04:56 AM   #13
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazo View Post
If there was 1 watch I was going to cheat on Rolex with it would be a Hublot... those watches look phenomenal!
Great to hear that Yazo! The minute I first saw a Hublot, I knew I had to own one!
Old 8 February 2010, 05:50 AM   #14
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust1 View Post
Another Hublot Carl? That's great!!! WE have to see pics of the arrival!
Thanks Gabriel! I'll take some cool shots
Old 8 February 2010, 06:03 AM   #15
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Apart from not insulting each other, calling names, etc., there's one more rule that I would like very much followed here: do not, and I repeat, do not criticise the watch choices or preferences of other members! You may have your opinion but if someone happens to like Hublot, it is his or her choice. Rolex used an outsourced movement for their Daytona for many years and no-one was complaining. It doesn't matter. Let's keep it nice, be glad that we still can enjoy watches, especially mechanical watches
Old 8 February 2010, 08:01 AM   #16
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Ok, my own opinion is that they are nice fashion watches. The fellow asked about Hublot Vs Rolex so I posted a link to someones opinion. I dont own Hublot, although I would as I think that they are nice watches. Thats all. Take it easy on me. I Just thought that the article did make one good point.....about the movement being a standard swiss movement not something made inhouse.
Old 8 February 2010, 08:04 AM   #17
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

As far as getting jumped on for posting a link to an article reflecting a WIS opinion....that does not reflect my own, simply shows that you have to be so careful what you post on here. Everyone is walking on eggshells. Well thanks for piling on guys.....much appreciated.
Old 8 February 2010, 08:05 AM   #18
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, my own opinion is that they are nice fashion watches. The fellow asked about Hublot Vs Rolex so I posted a link to someones opinion. I dont own Hublot, although I would as I think that they are nice watches. Thats all. Take it easy on me. I Just thought that the article did make one good point.....about the movement being a standard swiss movement not something made inhouse.
yep. Just like 99% of Swiss watches.

Old 8 February 2010, 08:11 AM   #19
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Omega, Panerai, Patek, Zenith, Rolex as well as many other watch manufacturers offer in house movements. I dont see why these other companies that at one time were watchhouses, making their own movements have changed their ways. They get bought out by swatch group, maintain the name but abondon the tradition. I disagree strongly that 99% of the swiss watches in the price range we are talking about dont offer inhouse movements.
Old 8 February 2010, 08:11 AM   #20
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
As far as getting jumped on for posting a link to an article reflecting a WIS opinion....that does not reflect my own, simply shows that you have to be so careful what you post on here. Everyone is walking on eggshells. Well thanks for piling on guys.....much appreciated.
No, this is not it. You are not 'getting jumped upon'. But when you post quotes like these: "It’s funny you chose these two timepieces as your favorites, as they both represent a holistically unexciting and overpriced approach to watchmaking", what do you expect? No one is walking on eggshells but there must have been a reason why you posted this quote. Think about it.
Old 8 February 2010, 08:19 AM   #21
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Yes I posted it beacause I recalled reading it a while ago when I was thinking about buying a Hublot. It was someones opinion which is what the OP asked. Thats it thats all.
Old 8 February 2010, 08:26 AM   #22
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes I posted it beacause I recalled reading it a while ago when I was thinking about buying a Hublot. It was someones opinion which is what the OP asked. Thats it thats all.
Quote:
You who have owned both watches, what is your opinion?

How many Hublots do we have on this forum? Please share your beauties!
Seems to me that he wasn't asking for your opinion, or that of the goon you quoted.
Old 8 February 2010, 08:38 AM   #23
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

read the OP Post Mr. Welshman

Hublot is, in my opinion, a great brand and the service is phenomenal. I have exchange a couple of emails with the CEO, Mr. Jean-Claude Biver, and he is amazing. I have not yet needed any service or have not ben in contact with Rolex, so I cannot compare the two that way. You who have owned both watches, what is your opinion?
Old 8 February 2010, 08:44 AM   #24
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Omega, Panerai, Patek, Zenith, Rolex as well as many other watch manufacturers offer in house movements. I dont see why these other companies that at one time were watchhouses, making their own movements have changed their ways. They get bought out by swatch group, maintain the name but abondon the tradition. I disagree strongly that 99% of the swiss watches in the price range we are talking about dont offer inhouse movements.
You can disagree all you want, but it is a fact, Mitch. 90% of Omega's movements are borrowed (at least most components). Panerai JUST started going in-house, but they still offer Valjoux and ETA movement-driven watches. Zenith is not 100% in-house either. Hublot is developing their own movements, so it is a move in the right direction.

Even IWC, which is considered amongst the top brands has borrowed movements. It is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as the movements are modified. Just my twopence, what do I know?

Old 8 February 2010, 08:46 AM   #25
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

I agree with you Greg.....once again I was looking at the Hublot but the article strayed me away.....then i thought I would rather save and buy daytona. My thoughts...thats all. I do like Hublot though ALOT
Old 8 February 2010, 09:03 AM   #26
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Sturgeon.

If you have owned both watches, why didn't you offer your own ownership experience and opinions rather than just quoting a piece of crap from some other site?
Old 8 February 2010, 10:00 AM   #27
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
They are nice watches Hublot and the first time i came to get to know them was because they sponsor Englands top football team. I prefer Rolex but they do have some nice models.
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2010, 10:11 AM   #28
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexplorer2 View Post
They are nice watches Hublot and the first time i came to get to know them was because they sponsor Englands top football team. I prefer Rolex but they do have some nice models.
Manchester United They do have a huge Hublot watch outside the stadium, am I right?
Old 8 February 2010, 05:38 PM   #29
Clogger

Sturgeon,

Sorry did not mean to hound you, I am sure all of us on here would rather just hear your own opinion and not that the idiot you quoted. If you agree with the quote then that is fair enough, but agian I think we would rather have it in your own words.
Old 8 February 2010, 10:16 PM   #30
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Any more people who actually owns a Hublot?