The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 March 2010, 02:52 PM   #31
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Hmmm...can anyone comment on the reliability of Breguet? I read somewhere that there were only problems with the with Type XX/XXI models...but havent really heard any comments on reliability issues regarding other and newer models.....Greg, how well does your Marine Chrono keep time?

@ John's Watch.....- don't think its fair to call it a beautiful paper weight, of course some of there models are fragile, like in any brand....i wouldnt think it wise to playing basketball or rugby with a Patek Philippe Tourbillion
Old 15 March 2010, 03:04 PM   #32
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Good question: They have held that title as the Big 3 for years--from the high end watch community. IWC was started by an American who went to the german side of Switzerland to start the company. Lange was started in Germany and was siezed after WW2 and shut down when Eastern Germany was siezed. The great grandson rebuilt the company in 1990. Breguet has one of the richest histories in watchmaking dating back to 1775. For some reason the Big 3 maintained that status by the Swiss watchmaking community--lot of articles I have read in past over the years about it. As Greg said though-Breguet is right up there. Again--taste is taste--for me--even though I own AP--have owned all of them and the quality of an A. Lange & Sohne perpetual is hard to match. I can also say after owning a JLC RG Tourbillon--it too was one of the nicest watches I have ever owned--probably nicest--is it considered one of the Trinity--no--who cares though--I loved it!! Again--As I said above--I could pick a few from everyone of those companies and have a world class collection!!! In the end--the Big 3 have always had strong financial pull--that could be another reason in addition to their rich watch history--not sure. A lot of things have changed with the onset of large companies buying out the independent watch houses. Who knows--Greg--chime in at any moment -- I know you have your thoughts as well about it. PS--Yes I have also know of the Elite 4--including Breguet by the way--read that over the years also!
thanks for the perspective, i didnt think about it like... consistent financial backing has a lot to do with the constant innovation, market presence, and their rich watch making history. I guess thats why brands like Lange, Panerai, etc which have been some what recently resurrected or have had a cash injection have gotten their status back, I think the direction and support that Nicolas Hayek is giving Breguet...has made it more appealing to me.
Old 15 March 2010, 04:10 PM   #33
limenko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
I'm confused - surely poor reliability should be a major factor in deciding what constitutes a high quality watch?

If the movement is particularly fragile (as many owners seem to testify) it's not really much more than a beautiful paperweight.

Sorry to hijack the thread but surely this is really important?
I guess there are different points of view on reliability. I haven't had any issues in the 3 or so years I have had mine so this is not an issue for me. Various people have had issues with theirs and i know of an owner here in Sydney who had a few issues but got them sorted out. But then again there are many who haven't had issues and they far outnumber those who have had issues. To say that there are overall quality issues for Breguet on the basis of people that air them on the net is a pretty big generalisation.

In the end it is a mechanical piece of machinery and some do have issues, much like all other brands (hey my Rolex had an issue i had to get fixed but it got done and i am ok with it).
limenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2010, 04:14 PM   #34
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Milan - that is one goregous watch! I love the Breguet style calligraphy of the numerals on the dial.
Old 15 March 2010, 08:04 PM   #35
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
By the way in addition to inventing the Tourbillon- Among his inventions are the chronograph, the self winding movement and the perpetual calendar. Again-Founded in 1775 -it remains the oldest watch company that I know of! Also--I mentioned th spring that many watches use--looking at your post above--other companies like Roger Dubuis use Breguet numerals on their dials. All in all--great company!! So many nice watches to choose from--too bad you could not have one example from every top house!!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 08:10 AM   #36
watchteacher

Watch: Tiffany blue Sub
Quote:
By the way in addition to inventing the Tourbillon- Among his inventions are the chronograph, the self winding movement and the perpetual calendar. Again-Founded in 1775 -it remains the oldest watch company that I know of! Also--I mentioned th spring that many watches use--looking at your post above--other companies like Roger Dubuis use Breguet numerals on their dials. All in all--great company!! So many nice watches to choose from--too bad you could not have one example from every top house!!!
Vacheron Constantin has been in business since 1755, and I believe they have operated continuously since then.
watchteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2010, 10:29 AM   #37
HL65

Yes indeed--I stand corrected. One of the Elite Four!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 17 March 2010, 05:17 AM   #38
SLA
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M, 116520
A couple of historical notes about Breguet. He had a secret signature to defeat fakers that could not be reproduced exactly without the master plate. They are written in cursive lettering in a pantograph. Breguet also issued certificates with his watches, which were delivered in a red leather case. The certificates gave full details of their construction, the date of sale and the name of the purchaser, much as we continue to see today.

Last edited by SLA; 17 March 2010 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
SLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2010, 05:30 AM   #39
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLA View Post
A couple of historical notes about Breguet. He had a secret signature to defeat fakers that could not be reproduced exactly without the master plate. They are written in cursive lettering in a pantograph. Breguet also issued certificates with his watches, which we delivered in a red leather case. The certificates gave full details of their construction, the date of sale and the name of the purchaser, much as we continue to see today.
I read about the secret signature on the website....lol, guess its not so secret anymore..hahha...but what i thought was really cool is that they give each watch a particular identity enabling one to trace the origins and the history of the watch and everything else u mentioned....however, didnt know that it came in red leather case.

On a side note, when purchasing a Breguet, what kind of discounts can be expected (not taking into account the uber high end tourbillion models)....for Breitlings we know in between 20-35%, Rolex 0-20%, Omega 15% is standard..i think..
Old 18 March 2010, 08:51 AM   #40
mingsta

Very nice.

I own a GMTC, but given that you already have a Daytona and Omega, I'd go for the breguet as it offers something quite different.
mingsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2010, 06:57 AM   #41
mandrew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, It was Perrelet who invented the self winding movement.

Regarding the lineage of the brands, I get so confused and also what movements each uses. I recently bought a Breitling until a friend told me it uses and ETA movement and felt like I'd been ripped off. When I looked into it though, it seems that swatch is doing a great job protecting the brands from obscurity and keeping ETA as a great movement maker.

As for a breguet, the marine is my dream watch, and I wouldn't hesitate chopping of my right arm for one (it's okay, I wear my watches on my left )
mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2010, 11:52 AM   #42
HL65

Well--Breguet on their bio state that they did---personally I don't know if they did or didn't--I do know
that they make one sweet watch!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 19 March 2010, 12:32 PM   #43
kjb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsal View Post
again not my pics....but i thought i had to put a few pictures of the classique grande complication 5347 - bi-tourbillion, completely mesmerizing! Hope u guys like it!
wow!!
kjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2010, 12:05 AM   #44
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limenko View Post
I guess there are different points of view on reliability. I haven't had any issues in the 3 or so years I have had mine so this is not an issue for me. Various people have had issues with theirs and i know of an owner here in Sydney who had a few issues but got them sorted out. But then again there are many who haven't had issues and they far outnumber those who have had issues. To say that there are overall quality issues for Breguet on the basis of people that air them on the net is a pretty big generalisation.

In the end it is a mechanical piece of machinery and some do have issues, much like all other brands (hey my Rolex had an issue i had to get fixed but it got done and i am ok with it).
[Rant on]

Sorry but I have to take issue with this.

Breguet don't sell many watches yet they have quite a few owners complaining about reliability. You yourself mention that you know one owner here in Sydney that's had issues.

Whilst I agree that the internet tends to inflate the magnitude of problems it's interesting that we don't hear about many issues with Rolex who produce millions of watches or indeed Lange, Patek, Vacheron.

Why is everyone happy to sweep it under the carpet? This seems a bit like an uncomfortable truth.

Regarding issues

http://breguet.watchprosite.com/show...ti-583791/s-0/

http://breguet.watchprosite.com/show...i-558626/s--4/

And that was on the first two pages...

It's important to note that on a Breguet owners forum it's acknowledged that Breguet reliability is a 'hot topic' at best.

Stuff like this makes me mad. People ask about the quality of a watch and loads of people chime in with 'they're great' etc when they have known issues
Let's be honest, Breguet prices are very, very high. For that price you have a right to expect a reliable movement, surely?

So you spend big bucks, it breaks because of poor design or constructon - but it's got a lovely engraved balance cock and just look at that detailing....

Let's think about this a minute. If Invicta suddenly produced a limited run of 1000 watches with amazingly engraved and detailed movements of which 30% or more broke within a year, then asked you to pay at least $20,000 for the watches, would we have the same reaction?

Breguet is a brand name only. Yes they produce beautiful watches but there is no link whatsoever with the historical company. With little genuine history we should judge them on their merits not on glossy magazine adverts.

Perhaps I'm alone on this.

[Rant off]
Old 20 March 2010, 01:50 AM   #45
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

I'm also looking heavily at the Breguets...I was surprised to learn that they are part of the Swatch group...that brings it down a peg for me...
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2010, 04:25 AM   #46
watchteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
[Rant on]

Sorry but I have to take issue with this.

Breguet don't sell many watches yet they have quite a few owners complaining about reliability. You yourself mention that you know one owner here in Sydney that's had issues.

Whilst I agree that the internet tends to inflate the magnitude of problems it's interesting that we don't hear about many issues with Rolex who produce millions of watches or indeed Lange, Patek, Vacheron.

Why is everyone happy to sweep it under the carpet? This seems a bit like an uncomfortable truth.

Regarding issues

http://breguet.watchprosite.com/show...ti-583791/s-0/

http://breguet.watchprosite.com/show...i-558626/s--4/

And that was on the first two pages...

It's important to note that on a Breguet owners forum it's acknowledged that Breguet reliability is a 'hot topic' at best.

Stuff like this makes me mad. People ask about the quality of a watch and loads of people chime in with 'they're great' etc when they have known issues
Let's be honest, Breguet prices are very, very high. For that price you have a right to expect a reliable movement, surely?

So you spend big bucks, it breaks because of poor design or constructon - but it's got a lovely engraved balance cock and just look at that detailing....

Let's think about this a minute. If Invicta suddenly produced a limited run of 1000 watches with amazingly engraved and detailed movements of which 30% or more broke within a year, then asked you to pay at least $20,000 for the watches, would we have the same reaction?

Breguet is a brand name only. Yes they produce beautiful watches but there is no link whatsoever with the historical company. With little genuine history we should judge them on their merits not on glossy magazine adverts.

Perhaps I'm alone on this.

[Rant off]
And your Panerai has anything to do with the original Panerai company how?
Old 20 March 2010, 09:08 AM   #47
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Breguets are great, but have had their reputation (whether fairly or unfairly) tarnished due to their troubles and entry into the swatch fold.

I'm going to go on a limb here, but I was told that the elite three (Patek, AP, VC) are referred to as such as none of them ever made a quartz watch. Personally, I dont see AP or VC in the league with Patek but thats my opinion. Beyond that, I'll take an FP Journe or Lange over a Patek any day.

The breguet is beautiful and their guilloche work is the envy of all. You cant go wrong with that piece.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 02:49 AM   #48
watchteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
Breguets are great, but have had their reputation (whether fairly or unfairly) tarnished due to their troubles and entry into the swatch fold.

I'm going to go on a limb here, but I was told that the elite three (Patek, AP, VC) are referred to as such as none of them ever made a quartz watch. Personally, I dont see AP or VC in the league with Patek but thats my opinion. Beyond that, I'll take an FP Journe or Lange over a Patek any day.

The breguet is beautiful and their guilloche work is the envy of all. You cant go wrong with that piece.
Never made a quartz watch? Incorrect for all three. One of Pateks biggest sellers is the ladies 24 quartz watch.
Old 22 March 2010, 03:16 AM   #49
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

I've seen a lot of questions about reliability, but on mostly other forums, however no one has specifically mentioned what is not reliable about a breguet, and what/how they break down. The only info i do have on this..is that in the 1970's when InvestCorp or Chaumet was managing breguet...they did not use the most innovative movements, in comparison to the other elite brands, and due to their lack of financial support, the watches were no of the same build and quaility has they once used to be. Another thing that I had come across was that the Type XX/XXI had reliability issues only in the beginning of their manufacturing process....there was a spring or something that would be susceptible to being broken due to faulty manufacturing. However, that the only information that I have come across, nothing else. I would gladly appreciate if any one could add their 2 cents or whatever info they have on the issues of Breguet and reliability. Plus with their induction into the swatch group i believe the brand is onthe correct path to regaining some of its tarnished glory, as it is being given the proper financial backing and the personal dedication of Nicholas Hayek
Old 23 March 2010, 12:35 AM   #50
watchteacher

Quote:
I've seen a lot of questions about reliability, but on mostly other forums, however no one has specifically mentioned what is not reliable about a breguet, and what/how they break down. The only info i do have on this..is that in the 1970's when InvestCorp or Chaumet was managing breguet...they did not use the most innovative movements, in comparison to the other elite brands, and due to their lack of financial support, the watches were no of the same build and quaility has they once used to be. Another thing that I had come across was that the Type XX/XXI had reliability issues only in the beginning of their manufacturing process....there was a spring or something that would be susceptible to being broken due to faulty manufacturing. However, that the only information that I have come across, nothing else. I would gladly appreciate if any one could add their 2 cents or whatever info they have on the issues of Breguet and reliability. Plus with their induction into the swatch group i believe the brand is onthe correct path to regaining some of its tarnished glory, as it is being given the proper financial backing and the personal dedication of Nicholas Hayek
Patek, like Breguet, used the Lemania hand wound chrono movement, as well as a JLC ebauche in some calibers. The rest of the Breguet movements were modified F Piguet movements. We're not talking ETA here folks. As someone who ran a AD repair center that repaired Patek, Breguet, Blancpain, AP and Vacheron I can say that Breguet reliability was no better or worse than any of those other brands.
Old 26 March 2010, 05:52 AM   #51
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchteacher View Post
Never made a quartz watch? Incorrect for all three. One of Pateks biggest sellers is the ladies 24 quartz watch.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be glad to bring that one back to its source. :)
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2010, 09:53 AM   #52
HL65

Did somebody say Lange???
Datograph 3.jpg

Datograph 2.jpg

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 1 April 2010, 08:06 AM   #53
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
This is a Swatch, and my concern would have to be service. How is Swatch doing in the service/repair of their brands?
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 01:42 PM   #54
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmmm...can anyone comment on the reliability of Breguet? I read somewhere that there were only problems with the with Type XX/XXI models...but havent really heard any comments on reliability issues regarding other and newer models.....Greg, how well does your Marine Chrono keep time?

@ John's Watch.....- don't think its fair to call it a beautiful paper weight, of course some of there models are fragile, like in any brand....i wouldnt think it wise to playing basketball or rugby with a Patek Philippe Tourbillion
I have a Type XX and I don't think it's any more or less fragile than any other non-diver's watch. It keeps excellent time and looks just as great as it did when I got it. Breguet's style is quite simply timeless compared to a lot of other designs.

Again, reliability is closely tied in with use. If you misuse any watch, you'll ruin it eventually.
Old 1 April 2010, 01:48 PM   #55
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
This is a Swatch, and my concern would have to be service. How is Swatch doing in the service/repair of their brands?
Their service is excellent, having just recently had mine serviced. Although, this was in Singapore.

When I brought my watch in (just to have it polished), they suggested that I have it serviced as well. Then, they mentioned that this watch will be sent directly to Switzerland (I just pay for servicing, not shipping). Later, they emailed that they can service the watch in the Singapore center so it doesn't need to be sent to Switzerland anymore.

Again, because it's Swatch, you have the benefit of having a lot of service centers to go to worldwide. If they can handle the repair they'll do it and if not, it goes directly to their headquarters in Switzerland.
Old 1 April 2010, 01:54 PM   #56
Calibre11
"TRF" Member

Breguet? Nice watches, but I'd prefer to still have Lemania rather than pretending that that Breguet's movement expertise is all its own.

This article is focused on Heuer and Lemania, but also looks at Breguet and Lemania.

http://www.calibre11.com/heuer-lemania-part-one/

David
Calibre11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 02:52 PM   #57
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibre11 View Post
Breguet? Nice watches, but I'd prefer to still have Lemania rather than pretending that that Breguet's movement expertise is all its own.

This article is focused on Heuer and Lemania, but also looks at Breguet and Lemania.

http://www.calibre11.com/heuer-lemania-part-one/

David
I understand what you mean....but I would have to disagree with it. When you look at automobile manufactures for example...the Volkswagen Group, which has a majority in Audi, Porsche, Lamborgini, Bently...does this mean that you would never buy these cars..as they mostly share the same platform, sometimes factories, and parts....have these cars lost their true heritage to you, to the point where you would rather be driving a VW Beatle (the original VW)?
Old 1 April 2010, 03:45 PM   #58
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I understand what you mean....but I would have to disagree with it. When you look at automobile manufactures for example...the Volkswagen Group, which has a majority in Audi, Porsche, Lamborgini, Bently...does this mean that you would never buy these cars..as they mostly share the same platform, sometimes factories, and parts....have these cars lost their true heritage to you, to the point where you would rather be driving a VW Beatle (the original VW)?
And look at who owns Jaguar/Land Rover - Tata Motors. Tata Motors made its name making super cheap low-end cars for the "masses" and now they own two of the most prestigious brands in automobiles.

Tata > Jaguar sounds a hell of a lot like Swatch > Breguet to me.

Seriously though, I think people are reading too much into this whole brand heritage stuff. What we should all be focusing on is whether or not these are good products in the first place and in this regard, I believe Breguet's no better or worse in terms of quality than any other brand.

I think the problem is that, for a lot of us, the prices of these watches make us think like they are (or should be) bullet-proof, which they're not. If you want bullet-proof, get a G-Shock, don't expect to get that kind of ruggedness from Patek, Breguet or even Rolex.
Old 1 April 2010, 03:47 PM   #59
Calibre11
"TRF" Member

My point is slightly different- Lemania has a wonderful heritage as a Swiss movement manufacturer, so why not sell Breguet with Lemania movements?

I hear that Swatch are planning on renaming ETA movements as Swatch- for the same reason, I don't support that, because ETA are one of the other great movement houses.

I'm not a movement snob. Some are knocking the new Tudor heritage Chrono because it has ETA + DD module; but to me its a great chrono that I'd love to own.

Now, I doubt that I'll ever own a Breguet, but that has nothing to do with their use of Lemania movements or other- they're just not my style.
Calibre11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2010, 04:42 PM   #60
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibre11 View Post
My point is slightly different- Lemania has a wonderful heritage as a Swiss movement manufacturer, so why not sell Breguet with Lemania movements?

I hear that Swatch are planning on renaming ETA movements as Swatch- for the same reason, I don't support that, because ETA are one of the other great movement houses.

I'm not a movement snob. Some are knocking the new Tudor heritage Chrono because it has ETA + DD module; but to me its a great chrono that I'd love to own.

Now, I doubt that I'll ever own a Breguet, but that has nothing to do with their use of Lemania movements or other- they're just not my style.
All great points. Why does SWATCH rename its already powerful manufacture houses? Valjoux, Lemania.... What gives? Whoever is in charge of their marketing needs to be reassigned back to the plastic watch division.

I don't know if I'd ever go for a Breguet...leaning more towards a Patek. Personal preference. To me, Patek never lost their way and always had a clear vision of who they were and where they were going. I also admire that Patek is still family (privately) owned, where Breguet is owned by the SWATCH group, which is publicly owned and answers to shareholders quarterly. With a tough economy, it would be easier for a publicly owned company to cut costs by cutting quality (which Breguet has done in the past) as their shareholders would demand a return on their investment. Patek could run on $1 profit for years and if the Stern family is happy with that, so be it. This is a tremendous advatage for Patek as they need not be concerned with quartley goals. Breguet got a little lost there for a while during the quartz crisis too. Only recently have they returned to their "haute horology" status. So, if I'm going to plop down $30k for a watch, its going to be a rock steady Patek. Just my opinion.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote