The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 September 2005, 01:56 AM   #1
----

Opinions on Zenith

Okay, set aside that abomination in the other thread for a moment, and tell me what you think of Zenith in general.

I am not fond of all their watch with holes in the dials, but some of the hand wound models are nice. Does anyone have one or owned one in the past? Do you have a favourite model by Zenith? This is a brand that doesn't get much attention on the boards, although one forum does have a specific Zenith section.

They seem to be very nice generally, but the prices have taken a turn upmarket, and I'm not sure they are the bargain they once were. Thoughts?
Old 13 September 2005, 02:10 AM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
I think that they make some great watches with outstanding movements inside, like many of their chronos. I used to own a chrono and really liked it, as I am not much of a chrono fan.

Al, you are right about the prices though, it seems they are riding the fact that everyone knows their movement was in the daytona and they are taking it to the bank.

Overall though, I am a fan of the Zenith watches.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2005, 02:25 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Have a couple of vintage Zeniths,like some of the Star el-primo chrono
and some of the Grande Chrono Master range.Excellent movements but,
now don't seem to have the high end image,which is a shame.But they
still make fine watches, and quite heavily discounted if you shop around.I had a 1990s elite once but traded it that was a nice simple and accurate watch.And the El-primo Chrono movements have been used in several
maufactures watches, encluding Rolex who downgraded the movement
from 36000 BPH to 28000 BPH.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2005, 03:12 AM   #4
Atomic

I have never owned one, but have fondled quite a few. They have some great models, and like you say Al, the handwound are particularly nice. And they make some of the best movements around... but in Canada they are way overpriced, IMHO. If I wanted one, I would go via the net or BNIB in the US.

Dont forget, Zenith provided the Daytona movement for years and years, so they gotta be good.
Old 13 September 2005, 04:36 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
I was once on the Zenith website and there was a questionnaire which I filled up. At the end of it all, they asked if we were interested in their book and video tape. Guess what? They actually sent out a superb hardbound book with some stunning pictures and information, as well as a 12 minute video on their production.

Catch Rolex ever doing something like that!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2005, 08:05 AM   #6
----

I had looked at an Elite hand wound in rose gold once. It was $10K Canadian list, which I didn't think was too bad for a rose gold watch. It had a nice Ostrich strap on it. Not sure if I could get a discount, with this being at LaSwiss (not known for discounting I think) but I kind of regret not asking at least.

At any rate the dealer did give me a brochure and a CD that had their watch manufacturing process shown - at least that was cool.
Old 13 September 2005, 08:57 AM   #7
mamas
"TRF" Member

i like their chronos.. but agree with the sentiments here.. that they are beginning to become a tad overpriced!
mamas
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2005, 09:55 PM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I had looked at an Elite hand wound in rose gold once. It was $10K Canadian list, which I didn't think was too bad for a rose gold watch. It had a nice Ostrich strap on it. Not sure if I could get a discount, with this being at LaSwiss (not known for discounting I think) but I kind of regret not asking at least.

At any rate the dealer did give me a brochure and a CD that had their watch manufacturing process shown - at least that was cool.

From what I know, La Swiss doesn't give discounts on anything, it seems. I think (not confirmed) they may have lost or are losing their AD status from Rolex. Last time I was in a LS shop (February) they said they no longer carry Tudor (long time distributor) and that they hadn't had a new shipment from Rolex in a few months, which is very odd since new stock is delivered the first or second day of each month.

The manager of the Eaton Centre store is a friend of a friend and Claude (the manager) told my buddy their policy is to not discount. Also of note, Claude told me that they never get Daytonas or LVs in the shop because they get snapped up by the La Swiss owners at the head office, and they sell them off to friends or via the grey market with a premium on top of list (bastards).

Maybe they got found out. Rolex Canada gets sticky about such foul play (remember Birks losing their ADship).

I have never liked La Swiss staff... very snobby and not very knowledgable.
Old 14 September 2005, 02:14 AM   #9
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
From what I know, La Swiss doesn't give discounts on anything, it seems. I think (not confirmed) they may have lost or are losing their AD status from Rolex. Last time I was in a LS shop (February) they said they no longer carry Tudor (long time distributor) and that they hadn't had a new shipment from Rolex in a few months, which is very odd since new stock is delivered the first or second day of each month.

The manager of the Eaton Centre store is a friend of a friend and Claude (the manager) told my buddy their policy is to not discount. Also of note, Claude told me that they never get Daytonas or LVs in the shop because they get snapped up by the La Swiss owners at the head office, and they sell them off to friends or via the grey market with a premium on top of list (bastards).

Maybe they got found out. Rolex Canada gets sticky about such foul play (remember Birks losing their ADship).

I have never liked La Swiss staff... very snobby and not very knowledgable.
I feel the same about them, but still go in to look. I was at the Eaton's center store on my recent trip, and they did not have any new Rolex for sale that I recall - only a few in the used section.

I find it depends who you get as a salesperson. Some are very willing to take the time to show you many things (like the guy at RDV who let me fondle the six figure watches), and others don't want to give you any help at all unless you have your credit card or wad of cash out of your wallet already. I would say in my experience it's about 60% bad, and 40% good.
Old 14 September 2005, 04:58 AM   #10
Atomic

Al, I've always found the staff at RDV to be really good. Mind you, every time I'm in there I've been in a suit so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I had a conversation with Kevin, aka Kevlar, a long way back about La Swiss. He told me that at the Scarborough Town Centre location, which is staffed primarily by people of Chinese heritage, that they would gladly hand out discounts to Chinese patrons, but ONLY to Chinese patrons. Maybe because people from Hong Kong etc., come to expect to haggle on price?? Dunno.
Old 14 September 2005, 05:08 AM   #11
Atomic

Oh, and someone has to say it... Zenith used to make great TVs. LOL
Old 14 September 2005, 05:21 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Oh, and someone has to say it... Zenith used to make great TVs. LOL
....and, correct me if I'm wrong, dish-washers and washing machines too!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 14 September 2005, 05:35 AM   #13
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
....and, correct me if I'm wrong, dish-washers and washing machines too!!
Since we've answered Al's question, and thorougly hijacked this thread... JJ, what's that kiwi company that makes appliances? We looked at a kiwi-made fridge before we moved into our new house, but they didn't import one that was big enough (one model, an 18 cu/ft stainless jobbie). It looked really nice priced competitively. Woulda got it but too small (besides, every time I'd open it I'd think of your chrome dome and the pumpkin, which would be enuff to put me off my appetite. ).
Old 14 September 2005, 07:02 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Are we talking about FISHER & PAYKEL? That's the biggest and the best for all kinds of home appliances, refrigerators and cooking ranges being their specialities...as also washing machines and dish washers.

Have a look at that double-door fridge. Hope it's wide enough and big enough for you!!

Here's a comprehensive and excellent link: http://www.fisherpaykel.com/

Last edited by JJ Irani; 14 September 2005 at 07:30 AM..
Old 14 September 2005, 10:57 AM   #15
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I KNOW THEM! We have a washing machine and a dryer by them and we did have the dish drawer dishwasher thingy in our old house. It was really quiet. I like the washing machine because it sounds like a jet engine in the spin cycle.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2005, 11:19 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
I KNOW THEM! We have a washing machine and a dryer by them and we did have the dish drawer dishwasher thingy in our old house. It was really quiet. I like the washing machine because it sounds like a jet engine in the spin cycle.

Tyler
Sure does....I've got one in my house and it goes like a rocket! They do make excellent home and kitchen appliances.

Old 14 September 2005, 12:12 PM   #17
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Freeze, come out with your hands up!! Step away from the keyboards and put down the mouse. Hijacking is a serious offence and you boys are caught red handed!!

Old 14 September 2005, 12:21 PM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hey...don't look at me....Johnny started it all!!

Old 14 September 2005, 12:31 PM   #19
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Guilty by association!!

Old 14 September 2005, 09:07 PM   #20
----

Daren, thanks for trying to rescue my thread!
Old 14 September 2005, 10:51 PM   #21
Atomic

Quote:
Are we talking about FISHER & PAYKEL? That's the biggest and the best for all kinds of home appliances, refrigerators and cooking ranges being their specialities...as also washing machines and dish washers.

Have a look at that double-door fridge. Hope it's wide enough and big enough for you!!

Here's a comprehensive and excellent link: http://www.fisherpaykel.com/
That's the one! But they're only importing one model of fridge into Canada right now and it's too small. The 'hole' in our kitchen was for a 22 cu/ft fridge so we went with a bottom freezer JennAir (black with stainless handles - not a fan of black, but the built-in oven and dishwasher that came with the house are black, and a SS fridge would look out of place).
Old 15 September 2005, 02:16 AM   #22
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Am I or doesn't Zenith mean..

Etymology: Middle English senith, from Middle French cenith, from Medieval Latin, from Old Spanish zenit, modification of Arabic samt (ar-ra's) way (over one's head)
1 : the point of the celestial sphere that is directly opposite the nadir and vertically above the observer
2 : the highest point reached in the heavens by a celestial body
3 : culminating point : ACME <at the zenith of his powers --

anyway it's over my head
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2005, 04:40 AM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Am I or doesn't Zenith mean..

Etymology: Middle English senith, from Middle French cenith, from Medieval Latin, from Old Spanish zenit, modification of Arabic samt (ar-ra's) way (over one's head)
1 : the point of the celestial sphere that is directly opposite the nadir and vertically above the observer
2 : the highest point reached in the heavens by a celestial body
3 : culminating point : ACME <at the zenith of his powers --

anyway it's over my head
Bloody hell, Earl, speaka da Inglish for Heaven's sake!!

Old 15 September 2005, 12:40 PM   #24
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Bloody hell, Earl, speaka da Inglish for Heaven's sake!!
ROTFFLMAO!!!