The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 November 2010, 02:17 AM   #61
SalseroYQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Is that really and XXX? That is a mark of the beast Rolex uses to indicate they have an issue with a watch and refused services. Ernest should be able to read the code to see who put the marks on there and when. It is strange that they would put that on there for a dial, but with Rolex you never know. They sure put me through hell. I would have thought they would just have replaced the dial with a service one and moved on. One thing about these old watches..They sure give you a mystery to figure out.
I will ask Mr. Ernest about those mystery xxx and numbers, But i think that if there was a big issue he would have called me already, I haven't heard anything, He took in my watch for service 5 days ago. So at this point I'm not overly concerned. But I am disappointed with RSC in NY, they could have easily sent the watch with written note as to any issues and the refusal for service; all I got was a verbal response thru the AD.
SalseroYQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 02:28 AM   #62
SalseroYQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalseroYQue View Post
I will ask Mr. Ernest about those mystery xxx and numbers, But i think that if there was a big issue he would have called me already, I haven't heard anything, He took in my watch for service 5 days ago. So at this point I'm not overly concerned. But I am disappointed with RSC in NY, they could have easily sent the watch with written note as to any issues and the refusal for service; all I got was a verbal response thru the AD.
That takes me to another point; I saw a new date just with a blue dial (Blue is my Fav.color)at the AD store.. I am planning on buying one, but after having this bad experience with an RSC I'm not sure if I want to do business with Rolex. I am new at this so first impressions are important to me. If i am going to pay 6-7 g's for a watch i want better service. Do you think I am over reacting?
Old 6 November 2010, 03:19 AM   #63
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That takes me to another point; I saw a new date just with a blue dial (Blue is my Fav.color)at the AD store.. I am planning on buying one, but after having this bad experience with an RSC I'm not sure if I want to do business with Rolex. I am new at this so first impressions are important to me. If i am going to pay 6-7 g's for a watch i want better service. Do you think I am over reacting?
No, you are not. I was looking to buy a platinum yachtmaster before my journey started with my father’s watch. After my walk in experience at Dallas RSC that all changed. I had a very bitter taste in my mouth. Back in the day, it was not like this when you had a Rolex watch that needed service. They have become process orientated instead of a customer orientated company (that is US Rolex). The “stuff” you have to go through just to get a bracelet through the official channels is insane. Some believe they have taken this approach to business because of the “China Invasion”, but my take is on it is different. IMO It is all about control. They have even tried to “squeeze” out the independent watchmakers by these insane practices. I believe Rolex got fined a low 750k for violations from a department of justice investigation. It may have gotten a little better recently, but I doubt many watchmakers will comment publicly about such issues. Probably not limited to Rolex either.
On servicing: A few years back I saw a Rolex promotional advertisement that stated Rolex was a watch for generations. However, they have openly said they will not service in most cases a vintage piece and refer you to AWCI. Their generation’s statements are laughable as it appears the 30 years after a watch is out of production, they “Rolex” do not keep a stock of parts. Although I’m not sure that is true in all cases, but that is what the lady at the front desk at Rolex RSC stated. At least for now, there are independent watchmakers that can source parts.
Not sure you read my experience. This is the first of three threads on my dealings:
http://************/showthread.php?t=109294
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=109294
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2010, 04:40 AM   #64
SalseroYQue

Hi..well this means that I will have to really think about getting into biz with Rolex...Can someone comment on any other brands that will do the right thing and give their clients good service. Seems to me that like everything else in life, Co. get's to big and feel that they can treat customers like a sales number instead of a human being. I hope Rolex Executives are reading this postings, but I doubt it very much. p.s to CD,unable to read treads...msg said page not found?
Old 6 November 2010, 04:52 AM   #65
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

updated link. Not sure why steve blocks his own IP address

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=109294
Old 7 November 2010, 02:58 AM   #66
SalseroYQue

Icon5 vintage oyster 6480

Hi...I see a number 91439 inside, can anybody tell me about it??? Don't know jack about Rolex watches sorry!!! Trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks in advance for any help...:)pic is attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monche7.jpg (77.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 8 November 2010, 07:14 AM   #67
SalseroYQue

Nobody knows?????
Old 9 November 2010, 05:58 AM   #68
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

I believe that is the serial number for the movement.
Old 9 November 2010, 08:35 AM   #69
SalseroYQue

Quote:
I believe that is the serial number for the movement.
oh...ok thanks CD...i am still waiting for news on restoration, can't wait..thanks for your help....:))
Old 11 November 2010, 02:33 AM   #70
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Hi..well this means that I will have to really think about getting into biz with Rolex...Can someone comment on any other brands that will do the right thing and give their clients good service. Seems to me that like everything else in life, Co. get's to big and feel that they can treat customers like a sales number instead of a human being. I hope Rolex Executives are reading this postings, but I doubt it very much. p.s to CD,unable to read treads...msg said page not found?
Or, you could do what I do.

I bought my current DJ (see avatar) in the early 1980s. I have it serviced regularly but not by Rolex since maybe 2000 or so.

I recently changed the band and bezel from fluted/Jubilee to the domed/Oyster you see now; I did it myself.

You already have the watch. There are plenty of qualified watchmakers out there, as you have discovered so there's no reason to be a slave to Rolex.

Rage against the machine!
rmfnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 03:54 AM   #71
SalseroYQue

If I do buy a Rolex, I will use a watchmaker in my area for any cleaning or service required after guaranty expires...But that won't really change anything, the problem will continue to be there, companies that are too big ignore small time consumers like me. My in-law gave me this watch & now that i become interested in Rolex watches I run into this issue, not a very good way to win new customers.....If the trend continues the Rolex co. will miss out of getting many new customers and perhaps old customers will leave too.
Old 11 November 2010, 04:19 AM   #72
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Probably not; Rolex is just too popular world-wide and many of these draconian restrictions apply only in the U.S.

My point was that I love the watch, not the company (anymore).
rmfnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 01:29 PM   #73
SalseroYQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
Probably not; Rolex is just too popular world-wide and many of these draconian restrictions apply only in the U.S.

My point was that I love the watch, not the company (anymore).
Well said!!! But History Show That People Don't Like Arrogant Co"s. And Maybe Not In My Lifetime But If They(Rolex) Don't Fix The Problem, Just Like There Was A Genius Who Came Out With The Idea Of This Great Watch, There Might Be One Coming With Something Even Greater!!! Never Say Never!! I Am Sure Mr. Hans Wilsdor RIP Would Not Approve Of The Company As It Is Today....Rolex USA Are You Listening! "Doubt It".. Sorry For My Ranting, RMFNLA
Old 7 December 2010, 08:18 AM   #74
SalseroYQue

Icon20 Dial before-after pics

Restoration Almost Done, Pics of Dial Attached...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0032.jpg (38.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0171.jpg (38.6 KB, 102 views)
Old 7 December 2010, 08:22 AM   #75
Nicko
Banned

What a beautiful dial!!!!
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2010, 12:25 PM   #76
SalseroYQue

Icon14 Dial

Thanks....:)...hopefully i will get my watch back before x-mas...
Old 11 December 2010, 12:42 PM   #77
SalseroYQue

Icon20

Quote:
Thanks....:)...hopefully i will get my watch back before x-mas...
Got an email today that Restoration is done, watch is going thru timing checks and appears to be doing ok...I should be able to pick it up Dec...15, 2010......
Old 14 December 2010, 06:58 AM   #78
SalseroYQue

Icon20 Restoration is Done!!!!!:))

Great!! Waiting is over, today I picked up my Rolex; Restoration is done, Thank You Mr. Ernest Tope for your excellent job, & thanks to Mr. Osborn for all before-after pics, sorry if I was a pest asking for all those pictures.....I can now wear this watch in memory of my father in law R.I.P....Can't wait to see my Mother in Law face when She looks at this watch again after so many years.. and looking brand new:))) My early x-mas gift!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0191.jpg (80.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0186.jpg (45.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 14 December 2010, 09:31 AM   #79
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Looks nice. Glad it worked out well and that you are please with Ernest’s work. Wear it in good health and I bet your mother-in-law will be ecstatic.
Cheers
CD
Old 14 December 2010, 10:53 AM   #80
Racer X
"TRF" Member

What a transformation! Enjoy it in good health.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2010, 01:20 PM   #81
SalseroYQue

Icon10

Thanks CaveDiver ...I love the way it looks... now all I need is a bracelet, I showed the watch to my Son today, He likes the ostrich band on it, he thinks I should leave it alone...:)

Last edited by SalseroYQue; 14 December 2010 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 14 December 2010, 01:23 PM   #82
SalseroYQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
What a transformation! Enjoy it in good health.
Thank You...I will wear this watch as much as I can...:)) I will look for a bracelet to complete the transformation...But make no mistake I love the way it looks now...:))

Last edited by SalseroYQue; 14 December 2010 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: spelling lol
Old 14 December 2010, 02:44 PM   #83
SalseroYQue

Restoration Done!

Pic of old parts removed for Restoration purposes... unable to name parts..sorry. IMAG0193.jpg
Old 19 December 2010, 10:45 AM   #84
SalseroYQue

Icon20 Restoration & Appraisal Comment

Quote:
Great!! Waiting is over, today I picked up my Rolex; Restoration is done, Thank You Mr. Ernest Tope for your excellent job, & thanks to Mr. Osborn for all before-after pics, sorry if I was a pest asking for all those pictures.....I can now wear this watch in memory of my father in law R.I.P....Can't wait to see my Mother in Law face when She looks at this watch again after so many years.. and looking brand new:))) My early x-mas gift!!!
To all of the TRF members who help me with ideas and suggestions about How to get Restoration done on my vintage watch, "Thanks a Lot" Your suggestions and input were priceless, I was nervous about going thru with the restoration project but after joining this wonderful forum everything became so easy...Today I received the Appraisal and it is well beyond my expectations, This watch will stay in my family for generations to come!!!
Old 19 December 2010, 11:11 AM   #85
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pic of old parts removed for Restoration purposes... unable to name parts..sorry. Attachment 178677
Nice to know he did not have to replace many parts.

The steel coil is called a mainspring. When you wind the watch that is the part that getting “wound up”. It powers the watch.

The part with the Rolex symbol on it is called the crown. The other metal part is the tube which the crown screws down on.

The rubber ring is the gasket that goes between the watch case and the case back. It keep the watch water tight.

The clear plastic piece it is the crystal.

Have you heard from Steve about a bracelet?
Old 19 December 2010, 11:16 AM   #86
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Looks nice! Was the dial repainted or just cleaned?
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2010, 12:55 PM   #87
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
It looks great. This was a fun post. Thanks and enjoy your watch
Old 20 December 2010, 03:14 AM   #88
SalseroYQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
Looks nice! Was the dial repainted or just cleaned?
Hi..Yes it was repainted, dial was badly damaged; water got inside. Hands were refinished too.
Old 20 December 2010, 03:16 AM   #89
SalseroYQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSnyder View Post
It looks great. This was a fun post. Thanks and enjoy your watch
Hello..Thanks for your comment...I tried my best to let everybody know how the restoration went and now I can wear this watch with pride...
Old 20 December 2010, 03:26 AM   #90
SalseroYQue

Restoration Parts

Quote:
Nice to know he did not have to replace many parts.

The steel coil is called a mainspring. When you wind the watch that is the part that getting “wound up”. It powers the watch.

The part with the Rolex symbol on it is called the crown. The other metal part is the tube which the crown screws down on.

The rubber ring is the gasket that goes between the watch case and the case back. It keep the watch water tight.

The clear plastic piece it is the crystal.

Have you heard from Steve about a bracelet?
Hi CD..I will wait 'till after holidays before I start looking for a bracelet, I am very happy now so there is no rush...will use the ostrich band in the meantime until something better comes along.. My daughter and 2 sons are very happy too. They love the way it looks and gives them pleasure seen their Grandfather's watch back in good condition. My mother in law coming over to visit Christmas Day, will show her how her late husband 'baby' is doing. I am sure She will be impressed and happy to see it again.