The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 December 2010, 04:59 AM   #1
storme

Oyster Speedking question

Hi there,
I'm new on here and also to the world of vintage watches. I've been searching for a vintage prince/ royale or even a tudor to give to myself on my 30th which is coming up soon ;)
As i'm a woman, my wrists are smaller, but older women's watches are too small for my liking.

Today I spent a lot of time with a few dealers in one of the markets in London, some who were really rude when i mention Tudor (how dare they!) and others who were really helpful and enthusiastic about sharing the history with a new enthusiast like myself.

One dealer in particular showed me the Speedking... it was late 40s i think, beautiful watch and what seems to be in good condition. The dial is unrestored but I love that look, showing the watches age, but is working perfectly.

Anyway - the speedking is the perfect size for my wrist (i guess i'm the size of a 40s boy then). But i'm wondering about the strap. They both had newish leather straps on which he will gladly change for another strap of my choosing.

Originally would these have had a stainless steel bracelet? Or would they have had a leather strap? I like the leather strap look but had always assumed they'd come on a bracelet so working my head around that... Looking around online a lot are sold with leather straps, but looking on the forum some people have older speedkings with bracelets on...

Any info on straps for the speedking c 40s era would be really great.

Thank you!
storme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 06:01 AM   #2
adam78
"TRF" Member

These were most commonly sold with straps, probably either smooth or textured leather, or pigskin. The Speedking (I believe) takes a 17mm strap. Sometimes a bracelet was offered as an option, either a riveted Oyster type (non-tapered, with straight end pieces) or bamboo or bonklip style, in the '40s.

I think you'd be fine with a brown or tan camel-grain or pigskin strap, but there's no reason you couldn't splurge and use a crocodile strap. It's whatever you like the most.

Here are some straps I've used on my vintages:

Hirsch Classic Alligator

Camel-grain leather

Hadley-Roma lizard

IW buffalo leather

NOS Gemex calf (ca. '50s)

NOS textured leather (ca. '40s-50s), not sure of the manufacturer

Barington ostrich (leg)

Here's an example of a riveted 16mm bracelet with straight end pieces (from 1954, so tapered)
Old 24 December 2010, 06:43 AM   #3
storme

Hi Adam, thanks so much for this.

What a lovely collection! I love the buffalo and Aligator straps... I too thought a tan/brown would look great on it, as the dealer currently has a black strap on.
Could you recommend any online dealers/websites that sell decent straps?

Thanks again!
Old 24 December 2010, 06:44 AM   #4
storme

p.s that raleigh with the grey calf strap... lovely!! The colours of these older oysters remind me of a watch my godmother used to wear when i was a child. I'm sure it wasn't a rolex that she wore, but something about the faded colourings of these old watches is really comforting.
Old 24 December 2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hello Storme!!
How nice that a young lady is attracted by vintage watches, and is concerned with with keeping an authentic relation with its bracelet or straps, to mantain the originality of the whole set!

The Speedking should be a nice option, specially if you like how it looks on your wrist.
It is also an interesting type as it has a great connection with soldiers in German prissons during WWII.

Adam gave you (and us!) a wonderful example of his awesome collection and knowledge, regarding straps suitable for this type.
All are so charming and beautiful that is difficult thing to chose one. Personally, I like leathers with nice texture, and not very dark or black, preferring tan or ligth colors, though I understand this is a very personal thing.

I wish you can get a nice birthday present for yourself, and I kindly request to share with us your purchase. A nice wrist shot, and a close up of your new watch will be welcomed.

Thank you for your kind attention, and please receive my most cordial regards, and best wishes.
Abel.

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Hello Adam!!
No need to tell you that I always enjoy so much to see your collection and to read your knowledgeable opinions.
Thank you for sharing these gorgeous pieces with us!
Best cordial regards, and best wishes, Abel.

Old 24 December 2010, 08:02 AM   #7
storme

Hi Abel!
Thank you for the warm welcome. I think i chewed the poor man's ear off in the shop today. I went around a few shops, and it was so nice to be armed with a little information and understanding (learned from him i may add) so when I was stood face to face i wasn't too intimidated. The dealer i met today was great, so helpful and like you, really appreciated that a young woman is interested in the history behind the watches.

Having come home this evening and digging deeper into Speedkings, I noticed they were used for WWII pilots and as you mentioned British POWs used them to trade. This obviously is pretty amazing, and if i do go ahead and purchase this or another speedking, that it could well have been a pilot's in WWII. I actually started my PPL (bear in mind only for a cessna 150!) a while ago but never have time to finish it, but am also slightly obsessed with aviation ... so this is a lovely turn up for the books.

I just bombarded poor Adam with a PM with a link to some pictures of the watch as the dealer just emailed some to me as he promised to do so, as i'm torn between two he currently has in.

He's also restoring a beautiful watch at the moment which still has it's perfect domed plastic casing, but sadly it's really discoloured and he says he begrudingly has to replace that... it makes the watch look yellow/brown, and apparently it's beyond useable as it is and they don't make that perfect dome case anymore... such a shame.

I may pm you the pics too to see if you think the watches i'm looking at seem ok to you. He has a fair few in there, but after talking to me for a while kind of understood what i was after so he pulled a few out that he thought i would like. Bear in mind, my budget isn't very big... though i did get to try on a paul newman daytona today (worth £60k sterling... OUCH!!!) :)

thanks again Abel, what a lovely welcome.
Old 24 December 2010, 08:09 AM   #8
storme

** "(learned from HERE i may add)... not him :)
Old 24 December 2010, 09:19 AM   #9
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
This place has some interesting Tudors: http://www.watchestobuy.com/newpage2.htm

I have never dealt with them so I cannot vouch for them one way or another, but I like some of their offerings.
Old 24 December 2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Hello Storme!!
Thank you so much for your very kind message!
You are surely welcomed to this world of vintage Rolex watches!

I guess Adam is a very knowledgeable person and with a lovely collection. I feel you did right in sending him those PMs.

In my case, I am just a vintage watch lover, who likes to read a lot, and trying to learn.

I already answered with much pleasure your PM.
As said, I feel that to have a reliable seller, and establish a nice relationship and receive his councel, is a must for vintage buyers, and prospective collectors.

Also, when viewing a piece, you must consider above all: condition, originality, and beauty of dial.
Movements can always be repaired, IF they are original.
Cases should not have excesive previous polishings, which take off too much material, reducing or distorting the original form or size.

Regarding prices, Speed Kings are absolutely rare here in my Country.
But this type of vintage Rolex, with an Stainless case, and with a set of leather straps, would be in the level of 1700 to 2200 us$ in our local market, for a very decent example.
(This is of course very far to the Daytona P Newman!!)
Of course, prices are very different in Europe or USA markets, and also there is a larger diversity of offerings there, in contrast with our local collectors market.

I wish you´ll find a very nice example soon, with the help of your nice watchmaker!
Please keep us posted!

Merry Christmas, and a very cordial salute from Argentina!
Abel.

Old 25 December 2010, 08:54 AM   #11
volkersports

18mm farm grown alligator in cordovan on my 6430
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Oyster Speedking.jpg (24.5 KB, 287 views)
volkersports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2010, 07:05 AM   #12
Paul
"TRF" Member

Speedkings and bracelets

Seasons greetings all from sunny New Zealand

Some early Speedkings had a 14mm gap between the lugs (like my humble example) and usually had a leather strap or a non-Rolex stainless bracelet like this example from manufacturers "Gay Freres". (I'm thinkin' that 15mm is the smallest steel bracelet ever manufactured by Rolex themselves).

The Gay Freres bracelets are very rare now, very desired by collectors of early bubble backs etc (read that as 'expensive').

Best wishes for your purchase. My beloved wears my old Speedking and she loves it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKing1.JPG (23.8 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg GFB1.JPG (55.4 KB, 269 views)
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2010, 10:31 AM   #13
storme

Volkersports - Really nice strap there!

Paul, love that speedking... love the colour to it. Thanks so much for the tip on the bracelets.. you never know, maybe one will appear at a car boot sale without someone realising and i'll swoop it up ;)

Hope you all had a good christmas.
Old 5 January 2011, 10:23 PM   #14
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Needham View Post
Seasons greetings all from sunny New Zealand

Some early Speedkings had a 14mm gap between the lugs (like my humble example) and usually had a leather strap or a non-Rolex stainless bracelet like this example from manufacturers "Gay Freres". (I'm thinkin' that 15mm is the smallest steel bracelet ever manufactured by Rolex themselves).

The Gay Freres bracelets are very rare now, very desired by collectors of early bubble backs etc (read that as 'expensive').

Best wishes for your purchase. My beloved wears my old Speedking and she loves it.

Hello Paul!! That Gay Freres rice grain bracelet looks fantastic, and enhances a vintage watch like yours. Love it!

By the way...

Storme: any news on your own Speedking?

Thank you for an interesting thread friends!
Best cordial regards, Abel.