The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 May 2011, 01:53 AM   #1
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Franck muller - the good, the bad, the ugly.

One thing that surprises me is that there hasn't been much talk on this forum about Franck Muller at all. Was reading an article in "Revolution," apparently he's been accredited for bringing back the "tourbillion" in the late 80's and his yearly release of a new-ground breaking complications was regarded as one of the most exclusive and revered events of the watch industry. He too seems to be a bit of a prodigy.

I was wondering what are you're thoughts and opinions about Franck Muller watches....the good, the bad, the ugly.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10 May 2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Frogman4me
Banned

I do not care where the "flying" tourbillon is located, Breguet will always be the father of the tourbillon. I personally am not a fan of Frank Muller watches, so its all ugly for me.
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 02:43 AM   #3
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Upon reading this post, i went to the Franck Muller website to re-check all their current collection. This affirmed my original thoughts about FM watches... I just dont find them appealing at all. I prefer my watches to have cleaner dials, prefer to stay away from numbers and roman numerals all together. Most of the FM watches have big numbers indicatin the time. I am not particularly fond of their case either.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

My good friend owns a Grande Complication, it's beautiful but just doesn't do anything for me.
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Do u guys see it in the same tier as Patek, Lange, VC, AP.....if not...why not?
Old 10 May 2011, 01:25 PM   #6
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
im sure its a great watch but its just not for me. in terms of complications and movements i really know nothing. all my choices are based purely on looks and the Franck Muller collections IMO is not something that is appealing to me.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2011, 07:08 PM   #7
roleyrolz
Banned

I don't see it in that tier because they are a realti ely small watch company. Also they use some Eta movements on some of there watches. I love the crazy hour though that is an awesome watch. To me they are lime Hublot just without the gimmicks.
roleyrolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 12:11 PM   #8
WatchTimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Im sitting on a clients FM Conquistador SS on the Bracelet
He paid over 8K for it, barely has ever worn it and best offer
we have had has been $2500.....

I think that says it all...

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 04:46 PM   #9
tomee
"TRF" Member

what movements are in their watches?

are they all in-house?
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2011, 08:45 PM   #10
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Ozzy Osbourne likes them.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2011, 01:59 AM   #11
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
They are definitely not in the PP, VC, AP tier... I see FM below the Rolex tier... so that gives you an idea.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2011, 05:13 AM   #12
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
brands like FM are not for us folks, they have a very niche market, whose one of the top priorities is 'distinction' in what they own..I think this determines the FM product line...though nothing bad definitely with the quality and workmanship, eta or not, but the aesthetic is hard to swallow and thats how it is meant to be...its a 'different' kind of brand so lets not try to categorise it :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2013, 05:44 AM   #13
CHRISTIN
"TRF" Member

Well, it seems like EVERYONE is against Franck Muller and his watches... I LIKE them.

O.K... I have had, or currently own many of the top Swiss watch brands out there... and I'll leave the names out, but you all know of them. I wear these watches because I LIKE them and find them to be UNIQUE in some, or in several different ways.

So, wrinkle your noses in distaste as I tell you that my next watch purchase is going to be a second hand FM Casablanca 8880 C DT. Yep, it's the one with the BIG stainless steel Curvex Case w/ black Casa dial and the stainless bracelet. It's a big watch, but I'm a big guy and I'll love this one like I love my Panny 47's. For those of you movement purists out there... it has the Frank Muller 2800 -aka- the ETA 2824, not a high-end in-house... but a workhorse that's accurate and proven.

So Franck, if you're out there... know this. I think your watches are very cool and unique. I love the looks of the Curvex case, the boldly numbered dial and the overall big, bad and bold good looks of the Casablanca. I am going to really enjoy having this watch... 'nuff said.
CHRISTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2013, 05:55 AM   #14
Java
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I am sure there are worse ways you could spend the kind of money a FM costs.
As soon as I have thought of one I will post again.
Old 11 October 2013, 03:00 AM   #15
shafran
"TRF" Member

I like them too

I have owned many different FM models over time. I find them distinctive, original and thoughtful in design. They are some of the most complimented watches I have worn. Right now I am wearing my 6850 magnum, a very cool watch, imho. My wife wears 2852 ss in addition to her datejust 36mm as her daily wearers.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2013, 03:03 AM   #16
shafran
"TRF" Member

and a picture

Old 11 October 2013, 03:29 AM   #17
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I personally like most FM pieces (except the oddities such as the Crazy Hours and the like). The shape of their cases offer nice wrist presence and grab attention, if you're looking for that sort of thing. Although I don't currently own one, I can see adding one to my collection in the future. One thing for certain....it will be a pre-owned purchase. The depreciation on a new FM is breathtaking!!!!
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2013, 04:37 AM   #18
shafran
"TRF" Member

Resale

Agreed, I only buy preowned. Rolex and Patek seem to be the only watches that hold their original value.
Old 11 October 2013, 06:35 AM   #19
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Casablanca & the basic Cintree Curvex are nice looking, though I prefer more understated watches in general.

My wife has a Conquistador that she never wears. I tried to sell it but the market is very soft & I got tired of lowballers & scammers, so I gave up.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2013, 06:47 AM   #20
c.rod
"TRF" Member

im not at the point in my life where i can justify/throw money away like that yet. they take an incredible almost astounding hit on 2nd market. thats if you can sell it!! most of em sit forever. i have an AD by me that is in the "stylish" part of town and he is going to stop selling frank muller, and graham. they just dont sell.
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2013, 07:08 AM   #21
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

not for me, sorry
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2013, 11:44 AM   #22
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
FM makes sme interesting watches, just not go me.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2013, 04:03 AM   #23
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
Icon6

Client of mine has a Crazy Hours white dial with colored numbers; and, it is a way too cool piece!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 01:51 AM   #24
BeauneCrusher
"TRF" Member

I owned a Master Banker and traded it in very quickly. Apart from the glass cracking, something my watchmaker told me was not uncommon, the dial looked pretty but was almost illegible, and despite numerous attempts to make it work, timekeeping was also a problem. It just seemed more comfortable when a minute took more than 60 seconds to complete.
BeauneCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 12:16 PM   #25
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The watch of choice for footballers' wives - that's all you need to know really.

The depreciation is horrific; I have to say it is a little bit of a shame because I think their technical skills are very strong even though I don't like their aesthetic qualities, and the man himself is clearly a very talented guy.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 12:18 PM   #26
DreambreaX
Banned

I personally says franck muller is really elegant piece of watch
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 12:47 PM   #27
nick c
Banned

There are OK but resale
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 01:08 PM   #28
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I, too, read that article in Revolution. It was a gift at Franck Muller's event at WatchTime on the Sunset Strip. Muller was there, too.

Not sure his watches are at the level of Vacheron, Patek, Breguet, et al. Are they?

In any case, I never cared for his designs.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 01:15 PM   #29
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post

Nice. And, I would add, unusually well-organized and readable for an FM.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2013, 12:18 AM   #30
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I like a few of their models. My local AD was a dealer but stopped carrying them.

I seriously considered a Crazy Hours because I like unique complications and having the hour hand jump all over the dial is certainly unique! Since the resale is so poor they can often be had on the market for attractive prices.

However I gave up on the Crazy Hours because it really wasn't so crazy. I figured out when I first saw the watch in person that the hour hand simply jumped I think 7 hours forward each time. I thought the jump would be more random but if you look at the dial the numbers are in sequence if you count every 7th position. Therefore its simply a normal jump hour type watch that just makes a larger jump. Not so crazy after all.