The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 November 2005, 09:53 AM   #1
----

P P P W

That stands for Patek Philippe Pocket Watch.......

My archery coach's father passed away recently, and in the estate she knew there was "a watch." She has no clue about watches, but told me once that her father would get a letter every so often that would tell him the watch was due for a service. I immediately assumed it would be a PP (who else would send you a letter like this??), but had no idea it was a pocket watch. She wanted information on it such as when it was made, and how much it might be worth, but I am certainly no pocket watch expert.......

We were both attending the same meetings this past weekend so I asked her to bring it along. They were not able to get the case open by themselves, so I brought a few simple tools and my digital camera. This is a nice watch as pocket watches go, probably from the early 1900's......certainly not going to be huge dollars, but my guess would be in the $3-4K US area based on what I've seen on line.

Shot of the front:

These are apparently Lousi XIV hands, but I have no idea why they are referred to as such. I thought they might not be original to the watch, since they are pink gold and the rest of the watch is yellow gold, but I have been told this is not unusual, and they are likely the original hands.

When I opened the outer case back, there was an inscription inside that the family was completely unaware of. They have no idea who the person is that is being referred to......

I cracked the inner case to see the movement. It appears genuine, but needs to be cleaned for sure......

I took a short video of the movement running, since the owners would not likely see the back open very often if at all.....

http://media.putfile.com/Pocket-Watch

The case needs some work as it's pretty scratched, but nothing serious. Also the crystal is the same, but I would assume some poly-watch would do the trick there. Certainly an interesting diversion for me, but I'm still not into pocket watches at all.......

Anyone here collect pocket watches?
Old 10 November 2005, 04:30 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That is a very beautiful piece of machinery, Al. Being a PP, don't you think it would be worth a tad more than the amount you've quoted above? That seems like a pretty low figure when you see the name and quality of the timepiece.

Just my 2 cents....I'm open to correction.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 04:33 PM   #3
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Thanks for sharing, that is one most never see in their life, very cool.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 08:30 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Thats a beautiful timepiece but alas the pocket watch market is
not huge like wristwatches which is a shame IMHO.Even having
Patek on the dial,that watch would retail in the U.K at around
£2000 -£5000 for mint maybe slightly higher on a good day.The buying price would
be less, sometimes having a dedication on case back devalues it
slightly, unless it has a important person connection etc.The
Louis XIV hands are the style of gold filagree,and the Fleur de Leys at base of hands.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 09:45 PM   #5
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
£2000-£5000 for mint maybe slightly higher on a good day.The buying price would
Louis XIV hands are the style of gold filagree,and the Fleur de Leys at base of hands.
Thanks for the info on the hands Padi. You are right about the value - it is a shame in some ways. I have seen examples with simple hands but in better condition on line going for something like $4K US, so I think your estimate is about right.
Old 10 November 2005, 09:55 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Thanks for the info on the hands Padi. You are right about the value - it is a shame in some ways. I have seen examples with simple hands but in better condition on line going for something like $4K US, so I think your estimate is about right.
Your very welcome its a pity about Pocket watches,its just a fashion thing.Myself would like a nice one, on a nice period rose gold chain.I would wear it waitcoat as well, and perhaps only perhaps mind, a nice suite to go with it.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 10 November 2005, 11:33 PM   #7
Atomic

I actually saw a PP pocketwatch on the Canadian Antiques Road Show recently (same one??) and they quoted CDN$3-5,000 at auction. I know Pat McCarthy at our sister-site is a collector of pocketwatches. I could ask him to nip over here for a look.
Old 11 November 2005, 03:17 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
£2000-£5000 for mint maybe slightly higher on a good day.The buying price would
Excellent info on the hands, Padi....thanks!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 11 November 2005, 05:06 AM   #9
maccars

Watch: Omega Railmaster
Avalon -

John asked me to take a look at your PP.

You've got a really nice Patek here, but you are right - that as Patek's go, this one is fairly "common".

Here are a couple of fair pics of an almost identical watch being offered by an agent in Great Britain for 2,000 Pounds Sterling (even though this piece is not working, and is in need of repair) -

An interesting note - the seller indicates he has a quote for refurbishment from Patek Phillipe for 10,000 Pounds. These watches are horses of a whole different color, so to speak.
maccars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 05:08 AM   #10
Atomic

Thanks for the help, Pat. Stick around here, too. Your knowledge, humour and intelligence would be right at home with this group of ne'erdowells.
Old 11 November 2005, 07:04 AM   #11
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccars
Avalon -

You've got a really nice Patek here, but you are right - that as Patek's go, this one is fairly "common".

Here are a couple of fair pics of an almost identical watch being offered by an agent in Great Britain for 2,000 Pounds Sterling (even though this piece is not working, and is in need of repair) -

An interesting note - the seller indicates he has a quote for refurbishment from Patek Phillipe for 10,000 Pounds. These watches are horses of a whole different color, so to speak.
Thanks for the input maccars and welcome to the forum.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 09:42 AM   #12
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccars
Avalon -

Pat, thanks so much for the post and information, and thanks to John for asking you to come over. You guys are the best!
Old 11 November 2005, 12:46 PM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Hey Pat, glad you could stop by pal, please do so as often as you can.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 07:05 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Welcome Pat like you a fan of pocket watches well anything vintage
as long as it ticks any brand is OK by me.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 12 November 2005, 03:23 AM   #15
maccars

Watch: Omega Railmaster
Thanks, Guys - I'll be hanging around.

Nice place you've got here .
maccars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 03:25 AM   #16
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Nice to have you here with us, Pat!! Now let's see some those beautiful pics you've stashed away!!

Old 12 November 2005, 03:32 AM   #17
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome to TRF, Pat. It's always nice to have fresh meat for the vultures that hang around this place.

Sounds like you've got some horological knowledge that could be put to good use on TRF. So stick around and enjoy the ride.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote