The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 December 2008, 11:14 AM   #1
RedBall
"TRF" Member

Ball Watches

So I just passed the CPA exam and want to buy a watch to reward myself for this career milestone. I've shied away from Rolex a bit only because I want to buy brand new and I am also trying to save for a house - so I do not want to dent the ol' bank account too badly.

Any Ball watch fans on this forum? The price points on these watches look very pleasing with all the features that you get. Plus that lume . The moon phase really caught my attention. I'm thinking about picking it up. Besides, I can reward myself with a rolex further down the road and I am convinced that the ball moon phase would be a great time piece to start a collection.

Any thoughts!?
RedBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 11:28 AM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Ball watches in my opinion are a nice brand. I tried one on recently. Substantial, well-made and great lume. Never actaully owned one before but have heard some mixed reviews, most very good but ones not so.
Anyway welcome to TRF

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 11:45 AM   #3
swissautopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3.3M 1655 Mk I
I am a big Ball fan. I think the watches are unbelievable for the price. I don't own one yet, but almost became a proud owner on my last trip to Grand Cayman. I will probably buy one on my next trip. Another brand I like for the money is Oris, particularly the TT diver chrono. Classy looking with exhibition back and the Valjoux 7750 complication - you really can't go wrong. AND, with both the Ball and the Oris, you don't have to worry too much about "passing yourself on the street."

Good luck with the new career.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt." Unknown

"Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food." Proverbs 12
swissautopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 01:01 PM   #4
WatchTimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I have 2 Ball watches.
Can't say enough good things about them!

Shoot me a PM if you are looking for a dealer.
You will save a lot through the web versus
your local dealer most likely

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2008, 01:18 PM   #5
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Ball watches are quality time pieces at decent pricing (most models). I've got 3 so far. There are also renowned for their after sales service (feedback from owners at different parts of the world). If u are into moon phase display for watches, the Ball EMII Moonphase will be your cup of tea. Suggest u drop by to your nearest Ball AD to try one on for yourself. I'm sure u'll be pleased with the quality and detail. Here's more pics and info on the Moonphase:

http://watchtalkworld.proboards84.co...47&page=1#2087

http://watchtalkworld.proboards84.co...6&page=1#19506

Hope to hear from u about your new Moonphase soon!
Old 20 December 2008, 02:11 PM   #6
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Ball is the only brand of watch I have ever owned that failed ( after a month). Maybe an isolated case, but I will ever buy another one again. Additionally, they falsely advertised the functionally of the Night Train as a GMT watch and when an uproar ensued they offered the change the dial (six month service process) to replace the dial and remove references to UTC functionality. They are a bush league brand you should avoid.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 01:27 AM   #7
RedBall
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments guys . I was considering Oris as well, but I think I have fallen in love with the Ball EMII Moonphase.

I'm sorry to hear that your Ball failed BigHat! I hope that it was an isolated case but it doesn't sound like you're too happy with the company.
Old 21 December 2008, 03:24 AM   #8
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
Thanks for the comments guys . I was considering Oris as well, but I think I have fallen in love with the Ball EMII Moonphase.

I'm sorry to hear that your Ball failed BigHat! I hope that it was an isolated case but it doesn't sound like you're too happy with the company.
I'm not, though they did repair the watch promptly. Just wanting to give you one data point. As you may have gathered, the false advertising is what really pissed me off. Their excuse was that it was a pre-production model and "so what's the big deal?"

If you sold watches for a living and advertised a watch as having UTC functionality, would you use this pic in all of your PR releases and ads when it's impossible to display anything other than a 24 display of the current time in the window? The reality is 0400 or 1600 are all you're going to see and GMT functionality in zip. As I said, bush league all the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fireman-Night-Train.jpg (47.3 KB, 652 views)
Old 21 December 2008, 03:43 AM   #9
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
surely someone will step up and defend the brand...
here's my stab at apologetics: but they sure do glow good!
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 04:15 AM   #10
WatchTimes
2024 Pledge Member

Mistakes happen and I think they have tried to own up to it and fix it.

Every company has a bad run (people say the first run of the GV was recalled)
yet they don't get slammed.

Ball has a great history and the new owners are really stepping up and trying to
make it a serious brand.

I have had GREAT support from their customer service.

Hell, I got a holiday card from them when I bought a $2000 watch yet I have spent
over 15G with Rolex this year and not a thing...

Old 21 December 2008, 05:32 AM   #11
BigHat
Banned

Not trying to be a one man wrecking ball on this brand. I just think we should all convey our experiences with a brand when asked our opinion.

As I said, while I needed to have a new watch serviced, they did do it quickly. Also the lume is really the best on the market. I wish Rolex would license their tubes for sports watches.

I guess they took me off their Christmas card list.
Old 21 December 2008, 04:51 PM   #12
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
The advertising on that watch does make it look like it was a GMT. If I was to look at the watch itself, it would display 8:20 PM and 12:00 for the GMT time which is stated in military time. If it was stated accurately, it would read 20:00 for 8:20 PM and an 8 for 0800 which would be 8:00 AM.

The watch clearly is stating time on the dial and military time in the window. They did commit a marketing blunder on the photograph.

The watch is pretty incredible with the lume. The gas tubes are supposed to last 25 years, and, I will probably be taking a dirt nap by the time that one stops glowing in the dark.

I love the new diving watch with the DLC, which promises to be a rugged watch, that is a limited edition. Awesome but out of my price range for this Christmas time. My bonus was small this year due to the economy.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 07:49 PM   #13
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Buy what you like...I agree with that.

BUT......if it were me & I wanted to buy a quality watch to hold me over until I buy my first Rolex, I would go with an Omega any day over a Ball.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 10:15 PM   #14
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post

BUT......if it were me & I wanted to buy a quality watch to hold me over until I buy my first Rolex, I would go with an Omega any day over a Ball.
Agree and I'd add Breitling to the list ahead of Ball too.
Old 22 December 2008, 12:20 AM   #15
Panos
"TRF" Member

I am not for a moment suggesting that there are better forums out there .. but perhaps some niche information to help you make up your mind

personally from what I have seen I like them a lot ....

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...isplay.php?f=4
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2008, 12:44 PM   #16
RedBall
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys.... I think I'm between an EM II classic and an EM II moonphase. So far I have had no luck in finding my watch - I went to the only two authorized ball dealers within 50 miles from me and neither had either watch.

I like how Ball is under the radar but this is ridiculous. One of the ball ADs didn't even have the watches on display - the few that he had were under the counter! Obviously they can order me anything I want, but I want to at least try them on first! Maybe this is too much to ask for and I should just pull the trigger sight unseen!
Old 23 December 2008, 01:44 PM   #17
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
Thanks guys.... I think I'm between an EM II classic and an EM II moonphase. So far I have had no luck in finding my watch - I went to the only two authorized ball dealers within 50 miles from me and neither had either watch.

I like how Ball is under the radar but this is ridiculous. One of the ball ADs didn't even have the watches on display - the few that he had were under the counter! Obviously they can order me anything I want, but I want to at least try them on first! Maybe this is too much to ask for and I should just pull the trigger sight unseen!
PM sent.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2008, 07:54 AM   #18
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

I have owned two and still have have my "Gator:. I believe they are an outstanding watch for the money and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. They have their own forum on another site (watchuseek.com) that I would suggest you check out. Very nice people and you can learn all you want.

Best of luck.
David

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2009, 07:01 AM   #19
Putnam Dan
"TRF" Member

I have a Alligator also and frankly it is amazing!!! Certainly substantial and now with the new SpaceMaster, especially the GLOW on the way these watches are unique.

Some brands spend on advertising, Ball spends on watches ;)
Putnam Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2009, 07:17 AM   #20
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I'm not, though they did repair the watch promptly. Just wanting to give you one data point. As you may have gathered, the false advertising is what really pissed me off. Their excuse was that it was a pre-production model and "so what's the big deal?"

If you sold watches for a living and advertised a watch as having UTC functionality, would you use this pic in all of your PR releases and ads when it's impossible to display anything other than a 24 display of the current time in the window? The reality is 0400 or 1600 are all you're going to see and GMT functionality in zip. As I said, bush league all the way.
Wow, the glow in the dark works like a light show!
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2009, 07:44 AM   #21
smc

Watch: 16610 - Y
I LOVE tritium lume. I'm just not a fan of the ball designs :( I wish I could get rolex dials with tritium.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2009, 04:58 PM   #22
medic170979
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub LV
I am the very happy owner of a Ball Fireman 43mm for the past 3 years. I have never had an issue with the watch, and in fact it keeps impeccable time. The big buying point for me was the lume (second to none) and the 5G shock resistance. As a paramedic, I needed a watch I could beat the sh*t out of day in and day out, and one I could read in the dark. My Ball has not dissapointed me in either case, and on top of the functionality, its stylish with any wardrobe. That being said...

How can I wear a Ball over a Sub LV... hence why the Sub is now my daily timepiece. Overall I think my Ball is a better "tool" watch for work, but the Rolex is just too damn sexy not to wear!!

Good luck with your purchase!!!
medic170979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2009, 05:24 PM   #23
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I haven't got a Ball watch but I do like this one.

What's not to like about this design?

It could be my next purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nm2090c-lj-bkgr.jpg (52.5 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg nm2090c-lj-bkrd.jpg (53.7 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg nm2090c-lj-bkye.jpg (53.6 KB, 420 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2009, 07:43 PM   #24
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

I love the design of Ball watches. Any idea if any Ball models don't come with Tritium?
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2009, 08:53 PM   #25
WatchTimes
2024 Pledge Member

All are Trit...

Why would you want one without it?

The lume is amazing!

It is my first choice for a camping watch due to the lume.

Old 14 November 2009, 04:13 PM   #26
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
I LOVE tritium lume. I'm just not a fan of the ball designs :( I wish I could get rolex dials with tritium.
i 2nd that the only thing i found unappealing with ball are the dials. they are poorly make like tin compared to rolex dials.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2009, 04:43 PM   #27
dieselgeek
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post

BUT......

generic
dieselgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2009, 04:43 PM   #28
dieselgeek
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C Pepsi
dieselgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2009, 09:09 PM   #29
sys12345
"TRF" Member

Great shot, beautiful piece. Is this the Trainmaster Dual Time? I've seen the white dial version but the black one is gorgeous! Do u have more pics of the watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselgeek View Post
Old 14 November 2009, 09:21 PM   #30
sys12345
"TRF" Member

I disagree. Can u show us an example of a Ball watch with a dial that is poorly made like tin?

Borrowing a pic from a member here, this is a shot of a Rolex DJII by Max.

Here is a shot of my Ball EMII Classic.

Lets have a closer look at the dial ...

So, can u please point out exactly which part of the dial from the Ball watch is poorly made like tin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
i 2nd that the only thing i found unappealing with ball are the dials. they are poorly make like tin compared to rolex dials.