The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 November 2009, 02:01 AM   #31
Putnam Dan
"TRF" Member

Rolex are good but really, they are surpassed by many many other brands in terms of complication. Rolex's portray an image - like it or not - which is supported by a huge advertising effort, hence the high price.

However in saying this it's pretty much true for all watches, a timepiece, often connected in some spurious way to an event or a group of brave individuals to create an emotive response in the wearer. How many Navy Seals will be wearing a JAEGER LECOULTRE? I'd hazard a guess at not many as a watch in excess of $30000 is not going to be a beater for someone on a navy salary.

Ball ties itself to the US train industry and a US watch manufacturer - though they are now a Swiss company, hmmm We'll Ball was a swiss man but I detect a little finagling there? At least their watches are used by the associations they draw, and even in some cases named after them. i.e. Mad Cow

Rolex is associated with James Bond - yes it was ;)
Divers
Airlines
but most and foremost - the rich

So wearing a Rolex says... I'm rich, they also cost enough for you to have to be rich (relatively) to own one - hence the huge numbers of fakes for those who want to appear rich. A gold Rolex says I'm very very rich...
Putnam Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 10:12 AM   #32
Paulmccurley6
"TRF" Member

New engineer master 2 diver

Just to let you know my friend that I've just bought a new engineer and it's my third ball watch. I like the fact that it's little known but they are bullet proof and I've never had any issue in six years 👍 I'll post a pic to show you my watch on the wrist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.8 KB, 70 views)
Paulmccurley6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2017, 08:59 AM   #33
Pete26
Banned

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I have bought a Ball Engineer II Arabic 40mm. Great watch and resembles a DJ (at least I think so).

I think Ball are a great value and the tritium tubes are great. I know Ball also replace tubes once they die, which is good to know.

All in all very happy with it.

Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote