The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 August 2018, 04:00 AM   #1
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1979 Pepsi GMT
GMT 1675 question - Raising prices make anyone else uncomfortable?

Hi all.

I’ve had my birth year (1979) 1675 for about 5 years now. It was an anniversary present from my wife and I love this watch! I’m guessing she paid about $6-7k (I don’t know but that was around what they were going for then I think) and I felt totally comfortable wearing it as a daily wear watch for all this time. I’m now seeing 1675s in similar (very good, totally original but lightly polished) condition selling for $13-15k and it seems like the prices are jumping wildly! In a world where Zenith Daytona’s tripped in price over the past year and GMTs seem to be skyrocketing, does this give anyone else pause about wearing every day? At a certain point it just might be too valuable...

I know this is the very definition of a nice problem to have and am enjoying the sound of the smallest violin ever as I write this, but am I crazy? Is there a point where it is just too expensive? Hell, if they keep going up like they are and hit $25k i feel like I should consider selling it, buying one or 2 other watches and pocketing the difference. Selling the watch is something I never planned to do but is it a good move at some point?!

Anyone else feel similarly?
vcnyls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 04:57 AM   #2
AJDay
"TRF" Member

I bought my gilt 1675 for what I thought was right on the low end of market value a few months ago: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=599420. I've never owned such an expensive watch and didn't know if I'd be comfortable wearing it.

I am emotionally attached to it, so I knew I wanted to keep it as long as my wife would let me. She started with "maybe 9 months" and has now moved to "maybe 5 years" and I'm hoping it will go to "figure out which son gets it".

I do have it insured for a tidy sum, which helps, but I've found that I absolutely love wearing it. I love the look of it, how it sits on my wrist, and knowing the backstory on it. I'd say I'm wearing it more than I expected to. If something happens, I have that insurance, but I say wear the watch if you like it and consider insurance. Most people have no clue what the value is on your wrist...
AJDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 10:25 AM   #3
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@vcnyls
I think if you consider your 1675 purely as an investment* then selling it for a significant profit is certainly a rational idea. But if you're a collector at heart and/or you're emotionally attached to the timepiece then the notion of selling becomes much more complicated. I actually have several friends/colleagues who are in the same quandary as you. With only one exception the owners felt it wasn't worth selling their watch...they simply got too much pleasure out of wearing their vintage Rolex. One important point to make: these were all "one watch" guys.

*Since you didn't purchase it, it would be akin to inheriting a security/stock in this scenario
Old 2 August 2018, 10:47 AM   #4
R.O.L.E.X
"TRF" Member

It's only going to increase in value in the long-run, I would not sell it in any case. It seems as though you would regret it.
R.O.L.E.X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 11:31 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcnyls View Post
Hi all.

I’ve had my birth year (1979) 1675 for about 5 years now. It was an anniversary present from my wife and I love this watch! I’m guessing she paid about $6-7k (I don’t know but that was around what they were going for then I think) and I felt totally comfortable wearing it as a daily wear watch for all this time. I’m now seeing 1675s in similar (very good, totally original but lightly polished) condition selling for $13-15k and it seems like the prices are jumping wildly! In a world where Zenith Daytona’s tripped in price over the past year and GMTs seem to be skyrocketing, does this give anyone else pause about wearing every day? At a certain point it just might be too valuable...

I know this is the very definition of a nice problem to have and am enjoying the sound of the smallest violin ever as I write this, but am I crazy? Is there a point where it is just too expensive? Hell, if they keep going up like they are and hit $25k i feel like I should consider selling it, buying one or 2 other watches and pocketing the difference. Selling the watch is something I never planned to do but is it a good move at some point?!

Anyone else feel similarly?
__________________________________________________ _

"Anyone feel similarly?"

I do, I feel your pain and am selling all of mine. Cheap too. Want one?

By the way, if it matters, when the market corrected during 2007-2008, GMTs stood their ground at
$2500-$2800 and it didn't affect the value at all. I haven't looked back at all - it was a good time then and a great time now for GMTs.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 11:42 AM   #6
chows99
"TRF" Member

Hi Josh,

It would really help if you post photos of your birth year 1675!

And I must say you have a gem of a wife!
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 12:44 PM   #7
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
__________________________________________________ _

"Anyone feel similarly?"

I do, I feel your pain and am selling all of mine. Cheap too. Want one?

By the way, if it matters, when the market corrected during 2007-2008, GMTs stood their ground at
$2500-$2800 and it didn't affect the value at all. I haven't looked back at all - it was a good time then and a great time now for GMTs.
So if a solid 1675 is now $13.5k, thats ~425% since the market correction.
The S&P is up ~300% in that time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PastedGraphic-1.pdf (80.7 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Tom1675; 2 August 2018 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: added the GMT growth rate for perspective
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 01:00 PM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I bought a 1675 around 2012 as well. I’m afraid to wear it, as I am concerned I will kill it. I abuse my crappy Tudor subs now. At least those are still cheap.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 03:55 PM   #9
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
So if a solid 1675 is now $13.5k, thats ~425% since the market correction.
The S&P is up ~300% in that time.

But u don’t get to wear ur stock on ur wrist though.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 03:58 PM   #10
onthedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @onthedial
@Tom1675
That graphic points out an important point...the current bull market is getting very long in the tooth. Personally I think 2019 is when it all comes to an end, and it will be ugly. It will be interesting to see how the vintage watch market holds up, given the fact the the rise has been meteoric in the last five years.
——————
Instagram: @onthedial
onthedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 04:28 PM   #11
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I bought a 1675 around 2012 as well. I’m afraid to wear it, as I am concerned I will kill it. I abuse my crappy Tudor subs now. At least those are still cheap.

I bought my 16750 and 16610lv in 2012 as well. I never really planned to sell them but with the current values I’m thinking about it. The only thing stopping me is I don’t have something else I would rather spend that money on so why sell. I have also considered consolidating for a PM watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 07:05 PM   #12
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Personally I recently sold off some other high value models. I felt they were worth much more than the pleasure I got for wearing them. Instead I bought a perfect gilt 5513 for part of the money and I put away the rest of the cash for a rainy day.

Even if I am crazy passionate about vintage rolex I can’t really justify some levels today. I am not wealthy enough to feel comfortable wearing and storing some pieces at home. I am sure some prices will continue up but to me it felt much, much better to scale down a bit and focus on models I fully appreciate.

Each to their own I guess.
Old 3 August 2018, 08:39 AM   #13
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your responses guys and yes, my wife is the best!

I’m still unsure what I will end up doing. I’m not in it as an investment and do love wearing this watch - I wear it every day - but at a certain point I don’t think I can justify keeping it. As they say, “You never own a vintage Rolex. You merely take care of it until someone richer comes along.” Maybe I’ll still keep it at $20k and just wear the hell out of it while insured. But if it hits $25 or higher I don’t know if I’d stick with it.

Here’s the watch:
Old 3 August 2018, 09:46 AM   #14
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
My dad's best friend has worn his gold 1675 every day for the last 47 years, unless it was off being serviced. You're not going to kill it...

And if you have a lead on "cheap" Tudor Subs, please PM me! I can't find any worth having for less than $7500 or so. And that ain't cheap to me!
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 11:33 AM   #15
05carbondrz
Banned

As long as the new Pepsi is unobtanium the vintage GMT’s will continue to do very well IMHO.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 11:42 AM   #16
kzm40
"TRF" Member

There can be point where they may become to valuble to be a daily wearer. I guess its what you feel comfortable with.

Even Newmans daughter, (the one with his other vintage daytona) was allegedly told by Rolex that it might be a little valuble for a daily wearer.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 12:41 PM   #17
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
Too valuable? See my signature.....

Now if I had a vintage 4 digit Daytona, or a 6542 GMT, or a gilt model anything, I'd probably be a little more circumspect about how often I wore them. But anything else was built for more wear and tear than my white collar lifestyle would ever subject my Sub to. So unless you're doing some seriously strenuous activities in it, you're probably not going to do much real damage to your 1675.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 01:20 PM   #18
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
So what’s the real story here... what caught your eye that you want. That’s always the story with me. Every time I sell something collectible now I try to make sure I won’t regret it by replacing it with something more desirable.

Just remember that once you sell it there is a good chance the watches will continue to rise in price. At some point you will regret the sale/won’t be-able to justify repurchasing one at a higher price.

I recently helped someone sell a watch, he really needed the money. I don’t think he will regret it. It may work if you stop reading the forum completely.
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 02:56 PM   #19
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Honestly there’s nothing I’d want more. It’s strictly a comfort thing. I keep thinking maybe I should sell it and get something more “reasonable” in cost. I still wear it every day while doing eveything but swimming/showering, and i really do love it. I also don’t need the money (any profit beyond the new watch would just be put into savings or something).I just think I’m starting to feel uncomfortable and am curious to see if others feel that way. Maybe I’m answering my own question in saying I love it... haha

I just keep thinking there’s got to be some $ figure where wearing it just won’t feel comfortable to do.
Old 3 August 2018, 06:13 PM   #20
BurntSam
"TRF" Member

Its a great post and I understand exactly what the OP is asking, I am going through the same thing with my 6263.
I last wore it and enjoyed it at my daughters wedding 13 months ago and ever since when I am rotating watches I put it on...........and then think no and wear another one.

For me, it just seems absolutely crazy that you could bang it against a wall by accident, damage the dial and there is 30K down the drain!!!

That is why I have been toying with the idea to sell it on, and this thread has just made up my mind. Thanks OP.
BurntSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 09:11 PM   #21
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcnyls View Post
Thanks for your responses guys and yes, my wife is the best!

I’m still unsure what I will end up doing. I’m not in it as an investment and do love wearing this watch - I wear it every day - but at a certain point I don’t think I can justify keeping it. As they say, “You never own a vintage Rolex. You merely take care of it until someone richer comes along.” Maybe I’ll still keep it at $20k and just wear the hell out of it while insured. But if it hits $25 or higher I don’t know if I’d stick with it.

Here’s the watch:

Classic, it’s a keeper unless you need the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 10:42 PM   #22
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Should we all drive Honda accords too???? I don’t think so
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 11:14 PM   #23
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Wearing a 6263 I recently picked up, in rotation. I know what you mean....but, I have the mindset of “extra” wrist awareness when wearing it, take it off for anything potentially causing unnecessary impact (vacuuming/washing car), etc... I didn’t buy it to put it away for investment, but I am VERY aware/careful when wearing. Also insured properly for replacement value on THIS watch, not the modern version, is peace of mind. There’s actually more worry in wearing a YG DD, from would be danger, not physical damage. These vintage watches are usually the coolest watches in the room, so to speak, but mostly fly way under the radar.
If it gets to the point I’m too worried to wear it.....
But damn!!! I enjoy the sh** out of it! You should enjoy that beauty too!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 01:38 AM   #24
armypilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1980 Rolex 16750
My 1980 vintage 16750 has been a near daily wearer since i bought it new. It saw me through my entire military aviator career. It's been through one aircraft crash and a ton of combat missions flown and for the most part is none the worse for it. Wear yours! you will regret it if you don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0709.jpg (151.2 KB, 587 views)
Old 4 August 2018, 02:04 AM   #25
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armypilot View Post
It's been through one aircraft crash and a ton of combat missions flown and for the most part is none the worse for it
Wow I'd love to hear this story.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 02:26 AM   #26
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
If you decide to sell it, donate the bezel ring to a good cause. My P.O. Box is... just joking.

It’s a killer watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 03:51 AM   #27
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input, all. I’m going to keep thinking on it and see where prices go. In no way am I looking to decide today...
Old 4 August 2018, 09:12 PM   #28
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Should we all drive Honda accords too???? I don’t think so
Or conversely “How do you feel about a vintage 911 air-cooled Porsche as a daily driver”?
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #29
vcnyls
"TRF" Member

Forward to around the 12 minute mark:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ho...e-five-eric-ku
Old 7 August 2018, 06:29 AM   #30
lee fowler
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT