The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2023, 11:28 AM   #91
dannyp
Banned

I'm curious to see the strap version. great looking watch but finding it hard to like the bracelet. I'm fine with the faux rivets, but don't like that it tapers in a "ladder" fashion. Has always made it hard for me to warm to most of the BBs.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:11 PM   #92
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I'm curious to see the strap version. great looking watch but finding it hard to like the bracelet. I'm fine with the faux rivets, but don't like that it tapers in a "ladder" fashion. Has always made it hard for me to warm to most of the BBs.
I think the bracelet is still the move. This is probably the most accurate reissue yet, so the modern rubber strap with fitted ends and a big clasp doesn’t make sense to me. I’d throw it in a tropic or some other regular strap with a pin buckle.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:12 PM   #93
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Thank you, I liked it just as much in person as I thought I would. Instant connection.

Because it was received so soon, I think it was marked for display but I was able to buy it.

There was no rubber strap models for trying, although I will be ordering one. They don't even know the details of this yet, so that is to be determined.

If you go to view this watch knowing it is 37mm and you are specifically after a smaller diver and are excited at the chance to buy something that tries to honour its original from 1954, this really doesn't disappoint.

If you like larger watches such as the 42mm pelagos or sea-dweller, I'm fairly sure you would think this wears too small. I however, love it. The 20mm lug width doesn't make it feel too small.

Good luck.

p.s. as you can see on that photo, the dial has a strange metallic type sunburst dial which is only noticeable in direct light. Indoors it's a matte black flat colour. I also like the lollipop seconds hand (replaces the snowflake) and pencil minute hand.

Congrats! Looks great!

I agree, size is based on preference, but no male in an average height range and proper weight should have issues wearing this watch. Connery himself at 6’2 (188cm) wore it and it looks great in that picture!
zeuloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:28 PM   #94
Dave4D
"TRF" Member

From a french forum.
Not my pics!! Credit to user greeeg on forumamontres.

Dave4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 04:12 PM   #95
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave4D View Post
From a french forum.
Not my pics!! Credit to user greeeg on forumamontres.
Thanks for the pics Loving the size of the '54
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:34 PM   #96
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
I like the smaller size, but the design is not quite right imo.
The snowflake hour hand does not match anything on the dial (it makes sense on the Pelagos with its square markers), the lume is off white almost cream but the bezel text is plain white. Too much of a mishmash.
Also the bezel insert is still made of aluminium, which is not good enough for a £3200 watch.
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:43 PM   #97
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raku View Post
I like the smaller size, but the design is not quite right imo.
The snowflake hour hand does not match anything on the dial (it makes sense on the Pelagos with its square markers), the lume is off white almost cream but the bezel text is plain white. Too much of a mishmash.
Also the bezel insert is still made of aluminium, which is not good enough for a £3200 watch.
Everything you mention is because it is a tribute to the 1954 model. On a vintage model the bezel would be aluminium, the dial would have patina, while the insert may just have faded a bit. It even has a faux rivet bracelet. Putting ceramic on this watch would be like putting a carbon fiber spoiler on a Porsche 356. They've done away with the snowflake seconds hand, but short of putting a Mercedes hand on, there is not much they can do differently for the hour hand, short from making it a pencil hand.
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:05 PM   #98
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Looking forward to trying this one on.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:40 PM   #99
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I think the bracelet is still the move. This is probably the most accurate reissue yet, so the modern rubber strap with fitted ends and a big clasp doesn’t make sense to me. I’d throw it in a tropic or some other regular strap with a pin buckle.
You are probably right on that. Reserving judgement (on both) until seen in-person. Overall a great looking watch, though!

Wonder if the Ranger bracelet or even one from the old BB36 would fit...
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 08:56 PM   #100
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
This is the first one I’ve given serious consideration. They finally got the proportions right. If only the hands could go away for more period correct ones…

The Kingston is the king of this particular watch aesthetic (I own one and several models using that case). If Tudor continues to creep towards the truly older vintage look (jettisoning the questionable design elements from 10+ years ago - and they seem to be), they’ll certainly get more of my dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 09:50 PM   #101
winst
"TRF" Member

54 looks a great watch to me. I think that guys with wrists 7 inches or under should consider it if they want a really comfortable, discreet, classy diver but not rule out a 58. Could be a nice watch for ladies wanting a diver as well. What is interesting is the rubber strap option has a T-fit clasp on it as well like the bracelet. It would be a bit bonkers if they don’t offer a T-fit clasp on the 58 going forward.

I’ve not been wearing my 58 Blue much recently but those French pictures have made me realise what I’ve been missing. That President style bracelet really doesn’t look right on the 58 though in my opinion. I’m going to go upstairs and get it from the winder now and put it on.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2023, 05:06 AM   #102
Vice Prince
"TRF" Member

I like the slimmer/smaller size for my ~6.5 inch wrist. To be honest, I would swap it for my currently owned black BB58 all else equal. That said I don't like the color of the bezel at all with the gilt accents on the dial. I'm undecided on the hands.

I could foresee myself selling my BB58 which I bought at retail, even though it would hurt to take a loss, and purchasing one of these, if it impresses me in person and a dial/bezel combination is released in the future that is more appealing to me than this one.
Vice Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:16 AM   #103
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
For smaller wrist sizes it really is a case of trying on to see if it works for you.

The 37mm dimensions and slim case size, plus sitting flatter on the wrist has the makings for ideal proportions.

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
JDR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:22 AM   #104
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Having lived with it for a couple of days it wears absolutely nothing like my 36mm DJ.

It is really not that far off the 5 digit subs in how it feels on the wrist, although it's thinner.

In fact it wears thinner than my Daytonas or the datejust mentioned.

from wruw
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:29 AM   #105
Dave4D
"TRF" Member

Tried it today at the store.

I think its wonderful on my 6.5 inches wrist. Not to small, just perfect proportion for an every day watch that would be elegant with a suit and still fine for all occasions.
Dave4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:39 AM   #106
toastmh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard in SA View Post
Everything you mention is because it is a tribute to the 1954 model. On a vintage model the bezel would be aluminium, the dial would have patina, while the insert may just have faded a bit. It even has a faux rivet bracelet. Putting ceramic on this watch would be like putting a carbon fiber spoiler on a Porsche 356. They've done away with the snowflake seconds hand, but short of putting a Mercedes hand on, there is not much they can do differently for the hour hand, short from making it a pencil hand.
I agree that the vintage aesthetic is cool and aluminium bezel fits with that perfectly. My issue is with the hands, if they wanted to make a proper homage watch then they would have stuck a Mercedes hand on it. Obviously Rolex won't let them do it so it feels a bit half-baked now. They should have owned the snowflake and stuck with the second hand rather than try to do as much of an homage as possible without pissing off daddy.
toastmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:56 AM   #107
gaheris
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUWASEIKO 6530-559
Dying to see some on-wrist pic of the rubber strap version. Thinking of getting one between this and the Pan Am Albino GMT tribute.
gaheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:47 AM   #108
JimmyBoots
"TRF" Member

The more I think about the more I see it as a modern formal watch. I personally would wear this watch over a Sub to a more formal setting because of its smaller vintage looks especially with my 7.25” wrist.

The diminutive size kinda makes it more dressy imo
JimmyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:04 AM   #109
darrenho
"TRF" Member

The thinner case on the BB54 is very appealing to me. I like how it is designed to pay a tribute to the 1954 model. It would be a great daily for sure.
darrenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:23 AM   #110
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenho View Post
The thinner case on the BB54 is very appealing to me. I like how it is designed to pay a tribute to the 1954 model. It would be a great daily for sure.
This….

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
JDR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:27 AM   #111
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I mean it’s thinner than a datejust

And it does feel it. Sits very flat
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 08:21 PM   #112
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Looks close to the perfect watch.

I have a bb58 but would swap it for the 54 in a heartbeat
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 09:04 PM   #113
Black Bay Dan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Tried one on yesterday (with Oyster bracelet) at my local ID, and my what a beauty. The case is so slim. I have never been a fan of black bezelled subs but this one is a game changer for me.

Dan
Black Bay Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 05:05 AM   #114
bohren
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant View Post
I wonder if the Ranger bracelet will fit on this?

Because if it does I might buy it on rubber and then purchase that bracelet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Wonder if the Ranger bracelet or even one from the old BB36 would fit...
I think it will as the BB54 has female end-links just like those from the BB58 and Ranger, which allows 'adapting' non-original bracelets as long as their middle-links fit into the gap.

I'm wearing my blue BB58 with the Ranger bracelet and will check this out, when my BB54 arrives. I ordered it instantly after I had it on my wrist four days ago.

Here are some - pretty bad - pictures, but they work to show a comparison to my BB58 and 14060m. My wrist is 17-17.5 cm depending on the temperature and with a calliper without pressing the sides I get 55 - 58 mm.
First 3 are shot from a distance to avoid the typical wide-angle distortions from smartphones. I note this because I'm showing crops:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5997_Tudor-BB54.jpg (238.6 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6001_Rolex-14060m.jpg (232.5 KB, 662 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5998_Tudor-BB58.jpg (244.0 KB, 663 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6004_Tudor-BB54.jpg (211.6 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6005_Tudor-BB54.jpg (229.3 KB, 659 views)
bohren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 05:28 AM   #115
natosteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohren View Post
I think it will as the BB54 has female end-links just like those from the BB58 and Ranger, which allows 'adapting' non-original bracelets as long as their middle-links fit into the gap.

I'm wearing my blue BB58 with the Ranger bracelet and will check this out, when my BB54 arrives. I ordered it instantly after I had it on my wrist four days ago.

Here are some - pretty bad - pictures, but they work to show a comparison to my BB58 and 14060m. My wrist is 17-17.5 cm depending on the temperature and with a calliper without pressing the sides I get 55 - 58 mm.
First 3 are shot from a distance to avoid the typical wide-angle distortions from smartphones. I note this because I'm showing crops:

Yep. That was my initial thought... Would the sleek ranger bracket fit the bb54. Keep us posted :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
natosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 05:45 AM   #116
bohren
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natosteve View Post
Yep. That was my initial thought... Would the sleek ranger bracket fit the bb54. Keep us posted :)
Will do!

I had my BB58 on the Ranger bracelet with me and had the impression that it was a slightly thicker than the BB54's one, but to avoid scratches on the Boutique's demo copy couldn't hold them very close to each other.
However, if there is a difference, it's not much and I wouldn't expect it to be a dealbreaker.

I'm pretty psycho about design and always found a clean (aka non-riveted) Oyster a better match for my blue BB58. This in no way because the rivets are 'faux', it's because the blue BB58 is so clean contrary to the black BB58, which has a lot more contrasts and details going on and can better balance the additional busy extras (the rivets and the shadow gaps from the lateral metal fittings.
So while the confidence that I could fit the Ranger bracelet to the BB54 is reassuring, I guess that I will wear the BB54 all original. Because I really like this combination for the first time totally, probably because the BB54 is so close to the 7922, which had the same style bracelet. I mean it's closer to history than the BB58 was, which was more a reminiscence.

I'll be back with pictures.
Old 2 April 2023, 05:58 AM   #117
Mo_Mo_86
"TRF" Member

I cant work out if the dial is the same granular texture as my BB ETA or if its gloss or sunburst, does anyone know?
Mo_Mo_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 06:07 AM   #118
bohren
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mo_86 View Post
I cant work out if the dial is the same granular texture as my BB ETA or if its gloss or sunburst, does anyone know?
It has an extremely restrained sunbrushing, much more low-profile than the Pelagos 39's brushing, which - when it comes out in sunlight - by way of comparison really pops.
The BB54 has it so superfine, that you effectively only see the effect but not the structure of the brushing unless you view it magnified. The visual result is like a kind of vintage-glow - very sexy. And it matches beautifully with the slightly faded black on the bezel, which is not as dark-black as the BB58's bezel is.

Here's a 100 % crop from one of the pics I did outside in sunlight. At 5 - 6 o'clock you can spot the brushing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5994_Tudor-BB54.jpg (266.1 KB, 643 views)
Old 2 April 2023, 06:54 AM   #119
"TRF" Member

The bb54 looks great in the pics and I think it gives the explorer a run for its money as my favorite beater watch.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 06:59 AM   #120
bohren
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1259 View Post
The bb54 looks great in the pics and I think it gives the explorer a run for its money as my favorite beater watch.
This video has the best scenes with the BB54 from all I have seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9q2_7iPaI

From the video:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor-BB54-tttvideo01rf.jpg (93.4 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor-BB54-tttvideo03rf.jpg (120.7 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor-BB54-tttvideo05rf.jpg (109.3 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor-BB54-tttvideo04rf.jpg (136.0 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor-BB54-tttvideo02rf.jpg (106.4 KB, 626 views)