The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 27 February 2020, 02:41 AM   #1
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Disappointed with my new watches Lume

This is my first Rolex but it's certainly not my first nice watch. Overtime the luminescent material certainly loses its punch, but they usually work great in the early few years.

Not the case with my new SkyDweller. I see that the newer Rolex's use a material that is not radioactive and needs to be "charged" with light first in order for them to work. That's fine. But the glow from my watch, even after being in a bright room, is almost useless unless you are maybe in pitch black closet. Even then, it's dim. Sure if I hit it directly with a flash light for 30 seconds it definitely glows green even in a low light room. But that glow fades in about a minute. Basically useless in any practical sense.

So here's the question for those with more experience with this newer "Superluminova" material. Are my expectations too high with this material? Does it simply not perform upto the older materials from the past or could there be something wrong with my particular watch? As always, thanks in advance for thoughts and insights.
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 03:41 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Problem might be the type of light. Bright light might not have the right 'frequencies' to truly 'light' the glow. Before bed i use this special 'flashlight' for only a few seconds and the watch is bright as F%^& initially, and still glows enough at 4am if i need to read the time :)

https://amzn.to/3a1jtJ0
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 04:18 AM   #3
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Problem might be the type of light. Bright light might not have the right 'frequencies' to truly 'light' the glow. Before bed i use this special 'flashlight' for only a few seconds and the watch is bright as F%^& initially, and still glows enough at 4am if i need to read the time :)

https://amzn.to/3a1jtJ0
The luminescent deftly reacts differently to different light sources. I discovered that just by accident. For whatever reason my cheap little battery operated Desk flashlight really gets the watch glowing like crazy. But regardless of what I use that extra glow doesn't seem to last very long.

Mike
Old 27 February 2020, 03:43 AM   #4
SN13
"TRF" Member

Mike,

As a Lume lover, I can say that I definitely wish my Tritium Dialed Watches had Superluminova on them.

Remember that Lume is designed to supply light for hours and hours after there is NO light available.

Do a test for me.

Tonight, when you go to bed, charge the watch next to a lamp or some light source, set it down. Go to sleep in a DARK room (This won't work if you have a bunch of light pollution) when you wake up, can you see the watch? Read the time?

I've found that all of my GOOD watches, and even my cheaper Seiko Divers have the ability to be read 10 hours after they last saw the light. Are they Torches at that time? No. They are legible and usable.

The thing about Superluminova is that it will have the same effect for decades, where as Tritium dies and will never be active again.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 04:28 AM   #5
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Mike,

As a Lume lover, I can say that I definitely wish my Tritium Dialed Watches had Superluminova on them.

Remember that Lume is designed to supply light for hours and hours after there is NO light available.

Do a test for me.

Tonight, when you go to bed, charge the watch next to a lamp or some light source, set it down. Go to sleep in a DARK room (This won't work if you have a bunch of light pollution) when you wake up, can you see the watch? Read the time?

I've found that all of my GOOD watches, and even my cheaper Seiko Divers have the ability to be read 10 hours after they last saw the light. Are they Torches at that time? No. They are legible and usable.

The thing about Superluminova is that it will have the same effect for decades, where as Tritium dies and will never be active again.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. What I can certainly tell you already, based on some testing , is it's not very legible under normal conditions. Of course the type of watch you have matters. With my sky dweller the hands are very narrow and it does not have a lot luminescent on it to begin with. So although I can see the sticks around the perimeter, the hands are very difficult to discern. Also the few tests I did were in a dark windowless bathroom where I turn the light off and looked at my watch in pitch blackness. I guess I have to keep in mind that my eyes have not adjusted to the darkness yet so it will probly get better if I was in a dark environment already for a while, like what you're suggesting.

If this is normal then I am definitely a bit disappointed because there is that classic situation where the light in the room is too low to read the watch hands, but it's not low enough for the luminescence to actually stand out. In a pitch black Room yeah I guess I can read it. But I'm really never in a pitch black Room. Thats when I might just have to use my phone to tell the time lol

Mike
Old 27 February 2020, 04:31 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed Mike, if your SkyD does not stay aglow for long there could be a defect. Will check mine today and report back later today/tomorrow. What i HAVE found is that some modern Rolex pieces seem to glow longer than others.

BTW, hit it with typical LED light and the SkyD blue glowed ok. When i used the other flashlight (see below link) she glowed about 30% brighter.

https://amzn.to/3abObzn
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 27 February 2020, 04:38 AM   #7
nda
"TRF" Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with your watch. I have a Sky Dweller and the lume is not terribly good - it lights up for a few minutes and then dims very quickly. Not an issue for me.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 04:59 AM   #8
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with your watch. I have a Sky Dweller and the lume is not terribly good - it lights up for a few minutes and then dims very quickly. Not an issue for me.
Thanks for your feedback. I agree it's not really a big issue. I'd like it to work better but if this is what it is then oh well. This is 2020. In a pinch I can always reach into my pocket and get the exact time from my phone lol

Mike
Old 27 February 2020, 08:46 AM   #9
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey View Post
Thanks for your feedback. I agree it's not really a big issue. I'd like it to work better but if this is what it is then oh well. This is 2020. In a pinch I can always reach into my pocket and get the exact time from my phone lol

Mike
Exactly. The Sky Dweller is often described as the 'flagship' Rolex - it's an incredibly clever thing and is proving to be extremely accurate too. I've always seen lume as a bit of a gimmick, nice to have, but not important.

We are lucky to have them. :)
Old 27 February 2020, 05:02 AM   #10
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Perhaps you chose the wrong watch for lume.
If this is that important should have bought a Sub or GMT.
Some other brands are even a lot better in this respect.

The SkyD has so many other nice features, just accept it and enjoy those.

Personally I don't care much about lume or legibility. Rolex is jewellery for me and I like staring at the dial and figuring out what time it is
Old 27 February 2020, 05:10 AM   #11
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Perhaps you chose the wrong watch for lume.

If this is that important should have bought a Sub or GMT.

Some other brands are even a lot better in this respect.

The SkyD has so many other nice features, just accept it and enjoy those.

Personally I don't care much about lume or legibility. Rolex is jewellery for me and I like staring at the dial and figuring out what time it is
No I definitely got the watch I wanted. And if that means it wont-work well in low light then I'm OK with that.

Mike
Old 27 February 2020, 05:26 AM   #12
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It's only been one hour after 'lighting up' the SkyD blue and the lume is weak sauce. This is not good news as my Polar stays lit all night long. Even my cheap $600 Seiko blue dial Alpinist has 'better' lume. Wonder if Rolex knows how bad the lume is on the SkyD?

Old 27 February 2020, 06:23 AM   #13
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's only been one hour after 'lighting up' the SkyD blue and the lume is weak sauce. This is not good news as my Polar stays lit all night long. Even my cheap $600 Seiko blue dial Alpinist has 'better' lume. Wonder if Rolex knows how bad the lume is on the SkyD?
Interesting. Is your watch new in the last year? I wonder if this just a SkyD thing or a general issue with the Superluminova on the latest watches being made. Anyone else have a new watch and the lumenation is weak even in pitch black?

Mike
Old 27 February 2020, 06:25 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

It's one of the first batches (i think after they fixed the date or ???? problem first-release models had), as one of my friends got it, he didn't fall in love and so punted it to me.

Old 27 February 2020, 08:07 AM   #15
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's one of the first batches (i think after they fixed the date or ???? problem first-release models had), as one of my friends got it, he didn't fall in love and so punted it to me.
OK. So that eliminates any recent changes. I guess this is just how the Superluminova works. Glows longer and doesn' wear out in a few years. But doesn't glow very well
Old 27 February 2020, 08:51 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

10000% agree the SkyD is an amazing movement! Mine is +7 seconds a month. Pure brilliance in using the bezel instead of old school side case pushers.

Old 27 February 2020, 12:26 PM   #17
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
10000% agree the SkyD is an amazing movement! Mine is +7 seconds a month. Pure brilliance in using the bezel instead of old school side case pushers.
+7/mth? That's incredible. Better than a good quartz watch. I'm not so lucky. This new SkyD is running about -3/day. But its brand new. Hoping when it breaks in it will speed up a bit

Mike
Old 27 February 2020, 03:19 PM   #18
nda
"TRF" Member

Try self regulating it Mike....

Mine ran about 2 seconds a day slow. I leave it dial up overnight and it's now incredibly accurate. I haven't adjusted it in months and it's precisely the right time.
Old 27 February 2020, 09:24 PM   #19
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Mine ran about 2 seconds a day slow. I leave it dial up overnight and it's now incredibly accurate. I haven't adjusted it in months and it's precisely the right time.
Thanks. I've tried all that. Position definitely makes a subtle difference but nothing significant. Every watch is different I guess. I found that shaking the watch side to side vigorously for about 10 seconds will add a couple seconds back . That's the only thing that makes a difference really. I started a thread in WatchTech on the subject and some watch experts explained why that worked.

Mike
Old 27 February 2020, 09:49 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

I didn’t think positional change made a much if any difference on modern movements.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:28 PM   #21
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I didn’t think positional change made a much if any difference on modern movements.
I think I noticed a slight difference. Maybe a 1/2 second less time lost overnight. So from my experience I would say you are correct. But it has not made a significant difference at all no matter what position I put it in at night. I actually find that comforting. I'd hate to think that the position of my watch is going make a significant difference in the accuracy of the time keeping

Mike
Old 28 February 2020, 03:43 AM   #22
nda
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It really does on mine. From around 11pm to 7am dial up it gains 2 seconds.

As others have said, perhaps every watch is slightly different - but self regulating definitely works on my Sky Dweller.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:28 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
This is my first Rolex but it's certainly not my first nice watch. Overtime the luminescent material certainly loses its punch, but they usually work great in the early few years.

Not the case with my new SkyDweller. I see that the newer Rolex's use a material that is not radioactive and needs to be "charged" with light first in order for them to work. That's fine. But the glow from my watch, even after being in a bright room, is almost useless unless you are maybe in pitch black closet. Even then, it's dim. Sure if I hit it directly with a flash light for 30 seconds it definitely glows green even in a low light room. But that glow fades in about a minute. Basically useless in any practical sense.

So here's the question for those with more experience with this newer "Superluminova" material. Are my expectations too high with this material? Does it simply not perform upto the older materials from the past or could there be something wrong with my particular watch? As always, thanks in advance for thoughts and insights.
Lume glow would be far down my list in priorities with any watch the term Luminover was first introduced to the Rolex line up around 1998 when they changed from radioactive Tritium lume, which had a half live glow of around 12 years. Today Luminova is made by Nemoto a Japanese luminous paint maker they moved a part of its factory to Switzerland in 1998 in Joint-ventured with RC-Tritec AG.This was to establish Luminova AG Switzerland for supplying Luminova to all the Swiss watch industry including Rolex and most all of the other major brands.Later around 2001/2 the name was changed to super-luminover and many other names for basically the same product under the various brand made up names and this keeps its glow for many decades. But it's mostly all basically the same paint with a slightly different colour pigments plus today its surface area that gives the glow more surface area the brighter the glow in general Rolex watches have very small plots less lume glow surface area.And now we have Chromolight which is more of a blue/green colour again depending on person's eyes and viewing condition,charging conditions etc will effect the glow. Chromolight is a Rolex trademark made up name now, but again this could be a special colour blend of luminous paint by Nemoto for Rolex,

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 01:11 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Lume glow would be far down my list in priorities with any watch...
100000000% respect padi and HUGE thanks for the educational info.

For my daily use, i rely on lume as sleep about four hours/day, and so at night dislike having to look up at the backlit clock (verus slightly moving my arm to see the time). By not needing to move much to see the time, the odds of falling back asleep, for me, is higher. Think that's part of why out of all the timepieces here, the Polar has been my mainstay nowadays.

Going to try the Panerai being delivered here today (large dial, easy to read) and see how that goes.

Again, huge thanks for historical info, much appreciated.

Old 10 March 2020, 03:34 AM   #25
diverdoug
Banned

Watch: YG GMT/blue Sky-D
Quote:
100000000% respect padi and HUGE thanks for the educational info.

For my daily use, i rely on lume as sleep about four hours/day, and so at night dislike having to look up at the backlit clock (verus slightly moving my arm to see the time). By not needing to move much to see the time, the odds of falling back asleep, for me, is higher. Think that's part of why out of all the timepieces here, the Polar has been my mainstay nowadays.

Going to try the Panerai being delivered here today (large dial, easy to read) and see how that goes.

Again, huge thanks for historical info, much appreciated.
My brightest watch that is not back lit is a Luminox. I have had it for 2.5 years, and is so bright that I place it dial down to avoid brightness in the room at night.
diverdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 10:33 PM   #26
Andrews148
"TRF" Member

There's not much room on the hands for lume so it's not great.
I find the same with my OP39.
The lume on the hour markers is..ok, but it's poor on the hands - where you need it!
I can live with it. When I NEED lume (working nights as a firefighter) I'll be wearing a G-Shock with the Auto EL function.
Andrews148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 05:59 AM   #27
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Luminova is primarily activated by UV light. Unless you use a special light source, the sun is the most effective source of UV.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2020, 08:03 AM   #28
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Luminova is primarily activated by UV light. Unless you use a special light source, the sun is the most effective source of UV.
Yes that's what I'm learning myself through trial-and-error now. I started this thread a few days ago just to ask tge question of others to see if maybe there was something wrong with my new rolex sky dweller. luminescence on the hands and sticks were just underwhelming compared to other older watches I have had. I have learned a lot now through others post.

- Rolex (and I assume most watch makers) have moved away from the older materials that glowed without light but were slightly radioactive . The reason might be obvious, even if the risk was theoretical rather than practical.

- This new material works by temporarily storing light energy and then emanating it back out over a period of 8~hours. Sounds good in theory but from my testing it's great at first but then rapidly drops (within 30mins~) to a level that is almost unusable unless you're in pitch blackness

- To make it worse, like others have mentioned, only light sources that provide UV rays, like the sun, UV flashlights. etc, can charge this "SuperLuminova" material. Artificial light in a house etc, does very little.

Based on all of this I have come to the conclusion that this new luminescence material is practically useless on any watch that uses it. The only scenario I think it would help is for a diver out on the ocean on a sunny day who then goes diving deep and needs the glow to read the time.

For all the rest of us, forget it and just enjoy your beautiful rolex knowing that in a dimly lit room you're going to need to reach into your pocket and pull out your phone, lol.

Mike
Old 28 February 2020, 08:28 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
For all the rest of us, forget it and just enjoy your beautiful rolex knowing that in a dimly lit room you're going to need to reach into your pocket and pull out your phone, lol.

Mike

Mike, the SkyD has the less-than long-lasting lume. The Polar, on the other hand, has lume that will stay aglow all night long (and is friggen bright as heck when first charged too!).

Old 28 February 2020, 09:07 AM   #30
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mike, the SkyD has the less-than long-lasting lume. The Polar, on the other hand, has lume that will stay aglow all night long (and is friggen bright as heck when first charged too!).
That's good to know . Honestly, now that the mystery is solved and questions are answered, I'm fine with it. Disappointed but fine. Hey, we didnt buy this watch because of a burning need to read the time while watching tv in a dark room, or a candle lit restaurant. If that was critical we can buy a $49 timex with one of those light buttons on it. Just bought one for my 93 year old mother. She loves it! But for us, we bought it to read the time and look good doing it!. And if we have to spend more time trying to read the time now, well we will just look good longer

Mike