The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2020, 07:19 AM   #1
Glenmorangie77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Greasing The Wheels of a Rolex AD?

Since most U.S. ADs are closed at the moment, this is more a question for the near future. But since I'm stuck at home I'm spending far too much time going down the watch rabbit hole...

My dilemma is this: Like many on this board, I'd like to buy a new BLNR or Daytona at retail. Getting on alleged waitlists is hit or miss, according to many. I'd like to build a relationship at a Chicago area or Milwaukee AD but don't want to buy something I don't want. Some area ADs also sell Tudor, and for every day wear I'd be happy to purchase a Black Bay variety at close to retail if it made a difference. But a BB is available on the grey market for 20-25% off retail and no tax.

Does anyone think it would help my cause enough on the Rolex to buy the BB at the AD?
Glenmorangie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:25 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I can’t answer your primary question but discounts on Tudor are very likely. Even so called “hard to get” pieces
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:26 AM   #3
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Same dilemma. I’m looking for a Daytona. If I can’t get it close to MSRP I am not going to pay 6-8k on something I don’t love. The other watch I’m looking at isn’t even sold new by ADs (AP RO 15500).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aw9nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:27 AM   #4
spare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Sure can't hurt and with the way times might be changing soon, you could find yourself bumped up pretty quickly (for the BLNR at least, Daytona may be another story).
Also dependent on the AD and how much charm you possess of course.
spare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:40 AM   #5
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

Probably won’t help at all for the Daytona, and maybe 50/50 for the BLNR depending on AD.

If you buy the Tudor, you may want to try and get the BLNR on the spot rather than a “promise” you’re in line for one of the next ones the AD receives.

Also, once you have the BLNR, would you really wear the Tudor or do you think you’d find yourself grabbing the BLNR 99% of the time?

Reason I ask - you can get a BLNR right now, brand new, outside the AD network for the cost of a BLNR + Tudor + tax at retail (depending on the model), and you wouldn’t have to BS around.

Worth running your scenario by an AD or two, but just throwing out the above so you keep your options open.

Also, fwiw, I was in the Chicago AD on Oak St. last summer and they let me try on a new BLNR, no purchase history. Maybe check with them once they reopen. Maybe they’ll have another one tucked away.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:42 AM   #6
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

you'd need to buy a PM piece at minimum for a daytona, blnr can be hit/miss depending on the AD. a tudor would pretty much be a waste of money in this case unless you actually like and want one
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 09:51 AM   #7
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmorangie77 View Post
Since most U.S. ADs are closed at the moment, this is more a question for the near future. But since I'm stuck at home I'm spending far too much time going down the watch rabbit hole...

My dilemma is this: Like many on this board, I'd like to buy a new BLNR or Daytona at retail. Getting on alleged waitlists is hit or miss, according to many. I'd like to build a relationship at a Chicago area or Milwaukee AD but don't want to buy something I don't want. Some area ADs also sell Tudor, and for every day wear I'd be happy to purchase a Black Bay variety at close to retail if it made a difference. But a BB is available on the grey market for 20-25% off retail and no tax.

Does anyone think it would help my cause enough on the Rolex to buy the BB at the AD?

I truly don't think they'd give a hoot.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:54 AM   #8
exador
Banned

In my experience, Tudor purchases do not leverage a Rolex
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:59 AM   #9
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Why not just pay the premium for the blnr it’s less than the watches your talking about buying anyway to “grease the wheels”

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:00 PM   #10
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
You want a Daytona you are going to need about this much grease...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (25.8 KB, 1175 views)
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:03 PM   #11
Glenmorangie77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
You want a Daytona you are going to need about this much grease...

You're 100% correct!
Old 6 April 2020, 12:06 PM   #12
Glenmorangie77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman11 View Post
Probably won’t help at all for the Daytona, and maybe 50/50 for the BLNR depending on AD.

If you buy the Tudor, you may want to try and get the BLNR on the spot rather than a “promise” you’re in line for one of the next ones the AD receives.

Also, once you have the BLNR, would you really wear the Tudor or do you think you’d find yourself grabbing the BLNR 99% of the time?

Reason I ask - you can get a BLNR right now, brand new, outside the AD network for the cost of a BLNR + Tudor + tax at retail (depending on the model), and you wouldn’t have to BS around.

Worth running your scenario by an AD or two, but just throwing out the above so you keep your options open.

Also, fwiw, I was in the Chicago AD on Oak St. last summer and they let me try on a new BLNR, no purchase history. Maybe check with them once they reopen. Maybe they’ll have another one tucked away.

Thanks for the tip. That location has other stores in the 'burbs and I briefly talked to a guy there before lockdown. I'll keep at it.
Old 6 April 2020, 05:17 PM   #13
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Going by some of the posts on TRF they’ll all be sitting in AD windows in the coming weeks/months....
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:34 PM   #14
Mick006
"TRF" Member

Grey prices on the BLNR are coming down pretty steadily. You might be able to grab one for an acceptable premium without the bs.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:14 PM   #15
drrd
"TRF" Member

Why do you want a BLNR or a Daytona? They're not similar, except they both trade grey well over MSRP (which the ADs know better than you do).

So if you want the look now then you have to accept the price to jump the queue of similar people that has formed ahead of you.

Either
  • Pay way too much for it
  • Know some people and pull rank
  • Think way too much about watches, brown-nose ADs and buy stuff you don't want or need

Most people don't even recognise a BLNR or Daytona, let alone know what you may or may not have done to get one.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the people who know watches also know you fit into one of the categories above.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:23 PM   #16
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Why do you want a BLNR or a Daytona?
Because of Batman and the salad dressing guy?
Cwillis0001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 07:37 PM   #17
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Asking for a Daytona and BLNR will classify you as a potential flipper looking for a quick buck in the eyes of an AD. You and hundreds others want all the same thing.

Bring the Mrs and buy her a PM 28DJ, after that you are a valued customer
Old 6 April 2020, 08:17 PM   #18
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Del
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 08:18 PM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Go and volunteer at a hospital or food charity or a pharmacy etc if you have no health issues, then mention this to the AD. If I was making a list now these guys would be top of my list, the new VIPs.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:08 PM   #20
Glenmorangie77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Why do you want a BLNR or a Daytona? They're not similar, except they both trade grey well over MSRP (which the ADs know better than you do).

So if you want the look now then you have to accept the price to jump the queue of similar people that has formed ahead of you.

Either
  • Pay way too much for it
  • Know some people and pull rank
  • Think way too much about watches, brown-nose ADs and buy stuff you don't want or need

Most people don't even recognise a BLNR or Daytona, let alone know what you may or may not have done to get one.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the people who know watches also know you fit into one of the categories above.

Not looking to flip and know a Daytona at retail is not happening. So really it's just the BLNR but can't hurt to ask 'cause you never know...
Old 6 April 2020, 10:43 PM   #21
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmorangie77 View Post
Not looking to flip...
...but it's nice to own and experience something 'high end' knowing that at any time you can bail and come out up on the deal isn't it? We won't call it flipping though.

But yeah no harm asking.

Why not make a different statement and buy another model?
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:47 PM   #22
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
i wonder after all this ends and the world gets back to normal...if the ADs start putting their inventory out to sell....cuz they got broke being closed and now its time to sell sell sell.....
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:56 PM   #23
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
I can't believe we are still discussing buying things that you don't really want to "save money" and buy the watch that you want at retail.

It's about time we move on from that bs imo.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 09:22 AM   #24
Twovalvekid
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
I can't believe we are still discussing buying things that you don't really want to "save money" and buy the watch that you want at retail.

It's about time we move on from that bs imo.
Im really starting to think this. Kissing AD azz, spending 3-6k on something you dont want, just to get something you do want....at retail. I'd buy a BLNR in a heartbeat from an AD and that was really my plan the last year but the SA i dealt who got me my AK in a few months moved, and i got no phone call. So phuck em. I wanted an air king, and then wanted a BLNR. Moving in august southeast VA, and will visit the 2 ADs in the local area to see what sort of treatment i get. If i get sloughed off and no calls in a month or two, im going right to grey.
Twovalvekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 09:38 AM   #25
Turb0wned
"TRF" Member

I’m in the same boat, I had to sell all my watches last year after a divorce, now I’m trying to get back into it and really want a Hulk. Unfortunately, this AD scam is still going on for who knows how long.
Turb0wned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 09:39 AM   #26
EconTigerOrange
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 MKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
you'd need to buy a PM piece at minimum for a daytona, blnr can be hit/miss depending on the AD. a tudor would pretty much be a waste of money in this case unless you actually like and want one
If you were to buy a PM and leverage for the Daytona, do you think the PM would be at MSRP or with a discount? If at MSRP for the PM, sounds like it would negate the benefit of getting the Daytona at MSRP.
EconTigerOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 09:55 AM   #27
calebb90
Banned

Good luck! Unfortunately there is no magic bullet to getting a hot model. Buying a Tudor could help, but it might not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 10:07 AM   #28
Megalodad
"TRF" Member

Don’t overthink things - just reach out to local ADs asking for what you want. Most likely they are still answering email. I did this and with no purchase history got the exact piece I wanted with no wait; they even brought it to my house because the state is closed down. AD now has a loyal customer and I didn’t have to play any games!
Megalodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 10:07 AM   #29
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Sorry but buying a Tudor wouldn’t help. It’s all about spending big bucks with most ADs
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 10:15 AM   #30
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I haven’t found buying other stuff to help, could just by my area and AD but I’ve bought two ladies Datejusts, a Breitling, a DSSD and nothing! Always super pleasant when I come in and they know who I am on a first name basis but no Daytona, BRLO or BLNR for me.
ScottishRolex is offline   Reply With Quote