The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 February 2020, 12:35 PM   #121
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Depends on the model. Speedy over Daytona.
Submariner and Gmt over omega comparables.

Also biggest downside of omega is thickness of coaxial movement.
Old 7 February 2020, 12:22 AM   #122
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsurgBM View Post
Both. Both make great watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That blue is gorgeous. Makes the Sub look sort of pedestrian.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2020, 01:56 AM   #123
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
That blue is gorgeous. Makes the Sub look sort of pedestrian.
I agree, the SMP does have a better look.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 01:25 AM   #124
mcnealstash
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Omega makes some nice watches but they fall very short when it comes to business decisions and execution regarding their product.

Omega's branding is god awful and their upper management should all be canned- it should have happened years ago. Limited edition this, limited edition that. No, a run of 6,969 pieces is not limited whatsoever. Eight hundred different speedmasters to choose from. They're spread too thin and without focus. Navigating their product line on their website is a nightmare and makes no sense because there are subdivisions of all their main product lines. They're really starting to fashion themselves as a "follower" brand in the industry, not a leading brand. They pay too much attention to trends. Trimming down their product line and showing some focus on the things they do well is a must.

The new steel speedmaster 321 was a phenomenal opportunity for the brand to break the mold and get out of this funk- but they also managed to completely blow this one as well. If they could have made a steel 321 that was more true to the original's design and managed to keep it closer to the real retail of a speedmaster, everyone and their mom would be out at their local omega AD trying to get their hands on one. Instead, we got a fauxtina homage of a watch with a 321 movement in it. The price? Oh yeah it's essentially triple what you'd pay at an AD for the other steel speedmasters. A complete joke and slap in the face to the watch buyer.

They have cemented themselves as little brother at this point and continue to dilute the brand's value and reputation with each bad decision they make.
mcnealstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 05:05 AM   #125
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnealstash View Post
Omega makes some nice watches but they fall very short when it comes to business decisions and execution regarding their product.

Omega's branding is god awful and their upper management should all be canned- it should have happened years ago. Limited edition this, limited edition that. No, a run of 6,969 pieces is not limited whatsoever. Eight hundred different speedmasters to choose from. They're spread too thin and without focus. Navigating their product line on their website is a nightmare and makes no sense because there are subdivisions of all their main product lines. They're really starting to fashion themselves as a "follower" brand in the industry, not a leading brand. They pay too much attention to trends. Trimming down their product line and showing some focus on the things they do well is a must.

The new steel speedmaster 321 was a phenomenal opportunity for the brand to break the mold and get out of this funk- but they also managed to completely blow this one as well. If they could have made a steel 321 that was more true to the original's design and managed to keep it closer to the real retail of a speedmaster, everyone and their mom would be out at their local omega AD trying to get their hands on one. Instead, we got a fauxtina homage of a watch with a 321 movement in it. The price? Oh yeah it's essentially triple what you'd pay at an AD for the other steel speedmasters. A complete joke and slap in the face to the watch buyer.

They have cemented themselves as little brother at this point and continue to dilute the brand's value and reputation with each bad decision they make.
I don't really disagree that they put out too many different versions of the same watch and too many limited editions, but I will give them credit for giving the customer some options when it comes to their watches. Rolex is more a take it or leave it approach - you say the GMT is too small for you??? Too bad, deal with it! I sort of like that Omega makes a Speedmaster for everyone, although I get that it negatively affects their long term financial value.

The key with Omega is.... always buy used! I love that I can get a current model Omega in perfect condition for 30%+ off MSRP. With Rolex I have to ADD 10-20% on the resale market. Great for the Rolex seller, not so much for the buyer.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2020, 05:21 AM   #126
jmed
"TRF" Member

Have both, love both. Really no point In comparing, I see each watch for what it is and what it does, period. I don’t believe that one brand is better than the other, only one more expensive and one less expensive, for what it’s worth I’ve had more problems with my Rolex watches than my Omega, which RSC was happy to fix for a “nice price”. I learned a long time ago if you’re gonna play in this game, be prepared to pay both up front and for future service. Some people like cars, some fine wine, some travel, and then there’s those of us that like watches. Then there is some that can afford to do all those, to you I say congrats, and enjoy your passions
jmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 03:56 AM   #127
Sandlapper1960
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 126600
Having owned both Rolex and Omega, I think that all can agree that they are both quality products...just unique to their own designs and marketing strategies. I currently own an Aqua Terra Annual Calendar 43, the vertical deck, framed month /date window with fully brushed bracelet version. It a a beautiful, high quality piece, that I enjoy wearing. However, it is heavy and thick, even on my 7.75 wrist. Also, the lack of "'on demand" adjustability of the bracelet leaves me a little frustrated at times. My dream pieces would be Omega style with Rolex dimensions, and bracelet adjustability. A blue dial Datejust 41 or blue dial Yachtmaster 40, have been calling my name lately !!
Sandlapper1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2020, 05:36 AM   #128
gohmdoree
"TRF" Member

I appreciate Omega for its accessibility. For the longest time I only went with Omega. Unbeknownst to me, an AD offered me a rare Rolex and I declined not having any interest in the brand.

With that said, I've started to grow my collection and can find reasons to appreciate both. When friends or acquaintances tell me they have no interest in Rolex, I just internally know at some point there is a chance that will change.
gohmdoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 05:08 AM   #129
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
own both. And if the railmaster 36mm aqua terra was easier to find, i might not have bought the 14270. but i fought hard against the explorer 1 considering the rest of the collection. Alas, that classic simplicity of no date is an easy grab and go watch.
iliketime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 12:02 PM   #130
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I have both and am a fan of both! The gap between Rolex and Omega quality fit and finish was narrowed to nearly nill with the 2018 Seamaster 300. Rolex still pips Omega in cache'and value retention thanks to non-Wis folks. If I had to have one watch it would still be Rolex but I am really enjoying my Omega's. I think if I had to dislike one thing about Rolex it would be the snob factor, it just doesn't seem to be there with Omega.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2020, 09:55 PM   #131
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Omega has a lot of achievements as a watch maker. They also have high tech mass production capabilities. Their price is lower but produce great watches

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2020, 11:01 PM   #132
tritium-lume
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDhc View Post
I have a Rolex, or Omega for each year of the 1950s (8 Rolex and 2 Omega). For that decade, to me the two brands are of the same quality.

I have a 1973 Omega 125 purchased last week which was never worn. That watch is superior to any watch I've ever had. I have owned a brand new Sea Dweller,
Rose gold Daytona and I currently have a brand new Oyster Perpetual 36mm. The Omega is breath taking and everyone who has seen it has been seriously impressed. Comments include "beyond amazing" and "never been impressed by any watch I've ever seen until I saw this watch". Based on this one watch, I'd say Omega is the superior brand to me.

I don't think the modern watches from Omega and Rolex are of different quality. I see them as equivalent.

If you look at the Omega Speedmaster Moon watch with Hesalite, there isn't a Rolex that could be a substitute. There are no Rolex watches with a cool factor equivalent to this watch ... my opinion.

I think Rolex are fantastic watches. They have a great history and some of their modern watches are still made that are consistent with watches of the past ... explorer, submariner no date, Oyster Perpetual 36mm.

It seems that the emphasis with Rolex and their modern watches is more focused on watch jewelry than watches that appeal for their function performance and mechanical precision. But as I pointed out, there are some watches in their lineup that don't have that blingy focus.

I think if one sticks with Rolex exclusively, they may be excluding many fantastic watches that others build, Omega being one.
This (and thanks for opening my eyes to the 125 )
tritium-lume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:04 AM   #133
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
I just bought my first Omega and a I love it so far. Picked up the SM Pro black dial w/ rubber strap. Incredibly comfortable! I owned a Rolex for the past five years, wish I had bought this watch sooner.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:26 AM   #134
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Been wearing this non stop

BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 02:53 PM   #135
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Rolex v Omega

I’m not a huge fan of Omega, how ever I have a few pieces: CK998 Panda, Classic Speedy and this Seamaster. All three were acquired over a year. I really only would maybe see myself buying the Seamaster in the white dial or Sedna Gold on black maybe... it has to be superb deal because the resale value is horrible. No way would I pay MSRP..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 05:29 PM   #136
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Further to my previous post, Tritium Speedy coming to join SM300mc!
Old 21 March 2020, 09:53 PM   #137
amanbra
"TRF" Member

As a brand i like Omega more than Rolex. I like their display casebacks, the variety, their drive for movement improvements and the fact that I can get the one I want when I want with a discount (mostly).

However, I have a 6.5 inch wrist and Rolex make far more suitable watch options...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 10:19 PM   #138
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

It came!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B408AA0D-134A-4E40-A86A-BC2094BD12E2.jpeg (98.5 KB, 340 views)
Old 25 March 2020, 09:53 AM   #139
gh0stleader
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnealstash View Post

Agree w/ some parts and disagree with other.

I will absolutely not begrudge a company for providing me variety and quantity.

The 321 was an absolute failure given that it was absolutely STUNNING but they tripled the price and made the smallest batch of them versus other "limited editions". (Let's admit it, the should just drop the word "limited" and use special or something else).

Omega's marketing dept is god awful to say the least.

If I were them, I would create a commercial like this and capitalize on the shortage and the higher price from Rolex:

"Q" sends an assistant to go purchase a new watch from the store b/c Bond just destroyed all of them playing w/ the new gadgets (or whatever reason that fully exhausts their supply).

The assistant, in a clueless/frenzied manner goes into countless shops but can't find it b/c he claims to Q, "the factory only produces/sends a few each year to the shop" (I'm sure that's a familiar thing told to rolex shoppers).
Q tells him,no no no, just come back.
Then he looks at Bond and tells him to go get the watch.

Suave Bond goes to a shop, where double doors are opened for him and 3 beautiful S.A.'s ask "which would you like", then they gesture (just like the price is right girls) towards a full shelf of various types of Omega SMP's.
Bond gives a his smirk, and end scene with "The true professionals choice, always available to save the day".

Hell, you can even inter change that out w/ the speedmaster.
Replace bond w/ an astronaut, Q w/ a NASA engineer and the girls with... aw hell, leave the girls in.
Retro/vintage is in today. They could even turn this into a one page retro comic showing all the scenes in popular magazines like GQ, Esquire, etc...

At the end of the day, Rolex isn't more expensive b/c it's a better watch or let alone even a better brand.
It's b/c it's a better marketer of its products.

When I was getting my new SMP 300 Bond (silver/blue version) sized at Jared's last month, a guy came in to purchase a Speedmaster watch.
He didn't have a clue that the watch needed to be hand wound as he though it was a regular automatic.
This isn't his fault at all, this is the fault of marketing only relentlessly stuffing the same old astronaut pics down his throat.

Either way, I'm not gonna complain too much.
Received a healthy discount for a brand new one w/ box papers and full 5 years of warranty.
gh0stleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 09:08 PM   #140
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Last year I visited the Omega Boutique on 5th Ave. The SA said the same exact thing with regards to marketing: They are horrible.

I also agree that between the Speedmaster and Seamaster there are way too many models to choose from. They should do a better job with that as well.

But that doesn't change the fact that they do an excellent job with quality. IMO their Co-Axial Master Chronometer movements blow away anything Rolex makes and aesthetically their watches are every bit as attractive (if not more) than any Rolex. Throw in the fact that their watches are readily available at most ADs and with a discount makes them far more attractive to the watch collector than a Rolex.

Rolex does a great job at marketing a great product. But it's product isn't any superior to Omega. Sorry. It's not.

Just my humble opinion.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 03:44 AM   #141
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
Last year I visited the Omega Boutique on 5th Ave. The SA said the same exact thing with regards to marketing: They are horrible.

I also agree that between the Speedmaster and Seamaster there are way too many models to choose from. They should do a better job with that as well.

But that doesn't change the fact that they do an excellent job with quality. IMO their Co-Axial Master Chronometer movements blow away anything Rolex makes and aesthetically their watches are every bit as attractive (if not more) than any Rolex. Throw in the fact that their watches are readily available at most ADs and with a discount makes them far more attractive to the watch collector than a Rolex.

Rolex does a great job at marketing a great product. But it's product isn't any superior to Omega. Sorry. It's not.

Just my humble opinion.
Totally agree!
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 03:44 AM   #142
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stleader View Post

The 321 was an absolute failure given that it was absolutely STUNNING but they tripled the price and made the smallest batch of them versus other "limited editions". (Let's admit it, the should just drop the word "limited" and use special or something else).

If I were them, I would create a commercial like this and capitalize on the shortage and the higher price from Rolex:

"Q" sends an assistant to go purchase a new watch from the store b/c Bond just destroyed all of them playing w/ the new gadgets (or whatever reason that fully exhausts their supply).

The assistant, in a clueless/frenzied manner goes into countless shops but can't find it b/c he claims to Q, "the factory only produces/sends a few each year to the shop" (I'm sure that's a familiar thing told to rolex shoppers).

Suave Bond goes to a shop, where double doors are opened for him and 3 beautiful S.A.'s ask "which would you like", then they gesture (just like the price is right girls) towards a full shelf of various types of Omega SMP's.
Bond gives a his smirk, and end scene with "The true professionals choice, always available to save the day".

Replace bond w/ an astronaut, Q w/ a NASA engineer and the girls with... aw hell, leave the girls in.
Retro/vintage is in today. They could even turn this into a one page retro comic showing all the scenes in popular magazines like GQ, Esquire, etc...

At the end of the day, Rolex isn't more expensive b/c it's a better watch or let alone even a better brand.

When I was getting my new SMP 300 Bond (silver/blue version) sized at Jared's last month, a guy came in to purchase a Speedmaster watch.
He didn't have a clue that the watch needed to be hand wound as he though it was a regular automatic.
This isn't his fault at all, this is the fault of marketing only relentlessly stuffing the same old astronaut pics down his throat.

Received a healthy discount for a brand new one w/ box papers and full 5 years of warranty.
Would love to see them do this!
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 04:06 AM   #143
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stleader View Post

That's a great idea for a commercial, nicely done!

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 04:30 AM   #144
James5599
"TRF" Member

Watch: D blue
interesting subject, as an owner of both and having owned quite a few omegas historically, I m a big fan of both.

I can certainly see an argument for both, price point wise omega is great value, obviously 'back end wise' the residuals aren't so great, I may be slightly biased as I get most of the omega range 30-40 percent off (big margins for dealers), but in house movements and the new seamaster range have served the brand well. product placement with James Bond etc, certainly has helped.

I own a brand new bi metal seamaster 42mm on a rubber strap, never taken it out of the box. it doesn't get a look in with my rolexes. it seems a crime to say that .

On the negative side, brand perception is several rungs down the ladder compared to rolex, rightly or wrongly in my view they are at the lower end of the luxury watch market, above tag heuer and on par /slightly above Breitling.

rolex wins for brand perception, quality wise I d have to give to rolex but equally they occupy a different price bracket on the whole.

for the money (recognising I get a good discount) I think omega is great, they dont however compete with rolex imho, but are they trying to? thats a genuine question, are they going head to head with rolex or are they happy to occupy a different section of the market?
James5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 01:31 PM   #145
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
I own both brands.
As watches, each brand has its own identity and charm. I love wearing them.

As an enthusiast lurking in forums, I enjoyed reading omega forums more because there are more discussions about the movement. how the movement evolved, the engineering side, about the materials of cases and bracelets, etc. I also noted that some watchmakers like to chime to share their knowledge and opinion.

In most rolex forums, the discussion is more on investment, resale, AD gossip. which is interesting for a while, but is not really my main interest. rarely do i see rolex watchmakers chime in. and discussions about movements are rare.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 08:42 PM   #146
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
I own both brands.

As an enthusiast lurking in forums, I enjoyed reading omega forums more because there are more discussions about the movement. how the movement evolved, the engineering side, about the materials of cases and bracelets, etc. I also noted that some watchmakers like to chime to share their knowledge and opinion.

In most rolex forums, the discussion is more on investment, resale, AD gossip. which is interesting for a while, but is not really my main interest. rarely do i see rolex watchmakers chime in. and discussions about movements are rare.
THIS! Spot on.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 09:08 PM   #147
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
I own both brands.

Spot on.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 09:17 PM   #148
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
For me I purchased my first Omega back in December, an approx 10 year old Planet Ocean, 45mm and on that very nice quality rubber strap. It came with no box and papers but I do know the movement is a 2500C.

I have owned many Rolexs and still do, have owned most models at one time or another, some several times. Yes, I used to be a Rolex fan boy before I knew better. I enjoy this watch more than any I have owned, in fact, I have been wearing it since purchased. Last weekend I put on a Rolex and took it off after an hour or so. It was strange setting it up with the hands wobble that a Rolex has, the watch felt un comfortable. An Exp2 42mm. And some what cheap as compared to this Omega.

The last few months I have been looking more at the AT line and handling them. Used, they are a bargain. Anyone who thinks that Rolex is superior to Omega just doesn't know any better.

Omega does need help in the marketing dept, no doubt about that. But they make a great watch, every bit as good, or maybe better than Rolex.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 01:22 AM   #149
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

I own a number of both brands. I give them equal respect and wear time. They both ooze quality. The omegas tend to be more accurate but they are not as easy to adjust and wind as the crown doesn't stick out as far.
Given the chance, my next purchase would be another omega.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 02:42 AM   #150
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I own both brands.

I said exactly this on an Omega forum and got bashed by the Rolex boys there

Last edited by rootbeer7; 28 March 2020 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: spelling
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote