The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 1 April 2020, 11:24 PM   #121
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
They’re hoping the economy crashes / goes into recession, so that they can acquire a watch at msrp; either 1) so they can feel they join the insta party of wearing a hot watch. Or 2) they can feel smug those that with the piece who may have paid more than MSRP are hurting

Either way, in the event of crash / recession, and the watch returning to MSRP or under, means the watch will no longer be hot, and no one cares, the party is over, so there is no kudos. I.e. 1) is invalid during the said potential crash. And 2) they won’t feel so smug about those who paid over MSRP as the interest no longer exists so that feeling will surely dissipate or not exist In the first place. They probably won’t be posting here any more as all hype will be over. It’ll only be Rolex enthusiast like myself who will stick around, who were buying long before 2016/7 and will continue to afterwards

In either scenario, that kind person (wishing for economic crash person) will not be buying the piece either now or at MSRP in the future (when used prices drop to that level) and is just a daydreamer.
Dude that was awesome. I love it. Great points.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 1 April 2020, 11:35 PM   #122
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay-dweller View Post
I think its correct to track lowest price for identical goods in identical condition.

Median price is good for real estate and other unique items that are comparable, but not identical.

Good point on the inventory, but I don't think we can really track that accurately. Its my understanding that the same watch might be posted by two sellers on C24.

Lower price ie in Chrono24 does not include box, papers, etc....In my collection prices has dropped only 3%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1 April 2020, 11:35 PM   #123
dontbeshort
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN LV BLRO BLNR
Its a interesting indicator which definitely indicates a softening of prices. However this only shows ‘offer prices’. It would be great to see where the ‘bids’ stand and actual traded prices. I wouldn’t mind betting the real levels are about 20% down .
Old 1 April 2020, 11:36 PM   #124
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
The people wishing that Rolex sports models go back to MSRP so they can finally buy their first one, would have never actually bought one if the used price matched or dropped below MSRP in the first place. They’re all daydreamers

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1 April 2020, 11:42 PM   #125
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
A single listing for a BNIB James Cameron has dropped asking $1,200 on this very forum and still looking for any offers.. Actually asking LESS THAN retail considering sales tax.

So please, don’t say prices aren’t coming down. I’m not cheerleading a collapse, but some of the denial here is a bit ridiculous. And the consistency of messaging amongst the Rolex YouTube community is more than suspicious and pretty transparent in their attempt to downplay the significance of downward market moves.
Old 1 April 2020, 11:45 PM   #126
mrmarty
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
They’re hoping the economy crashes / goes into recession, so that they can acquire a watch at msrp; either 1) so they can feel they join the insta party of wearing a hot watch. Or 2) they can feel smug those that with the piece who may have paid more than MSRP are hurting

Either way, in the event of crash / recession, and the watch returning to MSRP or under, means the watch will no longer be hot, and no one cares, the party is over, so there is no kudos. I.e. 1) is invalid during the said potential crash. And 2) they won’t feel so smug about those who paid over MSRP as the interest no longer exists so that feeling will surely dissipate or not exist In the first place. They probably won’t be posting here any more as all hype will be over. It’ll only be Rolex enthusiast like myself who will stick around, who were buying long before 2016/7 and will continue to afterwards

In either scenario, that kind person (wishing for economic crash person) will not be buying the piece either now or at MSRP in the future (when used prices drop to that level) and is just a daydreamer.
You took these sentiments right out of my mouth and I totally agree.
Old 1 April 2020, 11:46 PM   #127
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I have no idea what either the economy or watch prices will do in the future, but I do hope that those who believe modern, mass produced watches are good investments have backed away a bit from that concept.
Old 1 April 2020, 11:47 PM   #128
mrcsatx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestevez View Post
Wanted to share this interesting table below. I have been tracking online prices daily for the past week for some of the toughest to get pieces .

The prices highlighted in green show days that the price for a certain watch came down. You can definitely see a trend going down although a one week time frame is too short to see if it will persist and/or if price reductions will start to be more substantial.

Attachment 1123688
I've been meaning to do this....but glad someone has done it and shared results..

Thanks OP for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 1 April 2020, 11:56 PM   #129
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

“ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY, ITS ABOUT SENDING A MESSAGE! EVERYTHING BURNS!” HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We will gladly watch the greys burn. Just like how they love to piss us off with photos of stacks of watches which they obtained via backdoor from ADs. (Example: Wat**Tradi**Co). How the Italian watch influencer with the initials of GM (female) trying to prop up her trusted dealers to rob watch collectors of their hard earned money to enrich the few CHOSEN ONES.

If we don’t get the watches we want...It’s fine. We all burn together. Like the Batman and The Joker. Batman lost Harvey Dent and Rachel and he had to break his one rule. The joker didn’t get to watch the two ships explode to prove his point.
Old 1 April 2020, 11:56 PM   #130
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
If you buy directly from a Rolex AD you have a new watch. If you buy from a grey dealer you have, at best, a second hand watch. It doesn’t matter what condition it is in, someone else has owned it since it left the AD.

I think most people would consider a car or a watch with zero miles on it new regardless of how many people have owned it. It’s open to interpretation, but I would guess you opinion is the minority.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:08 AM   #131
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one who thinks it's sad that we are tying exclusivity, cost, economics to watches that should only be purchased because you love them? It sucks to pay over MSRP and it would certainly give me pause about what brands I collect, but to haggle and obsess over projections and feel "exclusive" by having a watch that someone else tells you is cool... C'mon.

As has been pointed out in this thread, if the cost drops and you pick one up for MSRP or less, the watch will no longer be considered "cool" by the metrics by which you judge it. No one cared when I got a 116610LV three years ago. They won't if they are sitting in windows. I got it then because I loved it.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:10 AM   #132
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

I think the insta party was over before the virus and subsequent job losses that are to follow...
Old 2 April 2020, 12:13 AM   #133
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
I think most people would consider a car or a watch with zero miles on it new regardless of how many people have owned it. It’s open to interpretation, but I would guess you opinion is the minority.
I agree. I've purchased a few watches from with stickers on from a Grey dealer. I don't really care about the paper trial. The watches are brand new, never worn. If one considers the watches to be second-hand, so what ... who cares ... not me.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:15 AM   #134
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I have no idea what either the economy or watch prices will do in the future, but I do hope that those who believe modern, mass produced watches are good investments have backed away a bit from that concept.
This is true. The only people who should be looking at them as investments are people in the actual legitimate watch business. All that matters to them is to maintain their margin on sales of any watch. Price is irrelevant to the margin. That's how you stay in business. Prices will go down and then up and back again and again as the market changes.

I certainly hope that no one who bought an expensive watch has to sell to generate cash. If they do they are selling to a legit great who will maintain his margin on resale. (Assuming they aren't selling to someone they know personally who knows they aren't a scammer like 90% of the watch listings on the web that aren't from a TS).

Message: buy what you like to wear/own and it doesn't matter.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:18 AM   #135
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

^^^Unfortunately, this really sums up a lot of the new demographic of “Rolex” lately and why many of the TRF hardcore knowledge base left and is really not interested in the brand anymore. What will be left is a bunch of vapid hipsters that won’t know or even care about horology.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:22 AM   #136
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's sad that we are tying exclusivity, cost, economics to watches that should only be purchased because you love them? It sucks to pay over MSRP and it would certainly give me pause about what brands I collect, but to haggle and obsess over projections and feel "exclusive" by having a watch that someone else tells you is cool... C'mon.

As has been pointed out in this thread, if the cost drops and you pick one up for MSRP or less, the watch will no longer be considered "cool" by the metrics by which you judge it. No one cared when I got a 116610LV three years ago. They won't if they are sitting in windows. I got it then because I loved it.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:25 AM   #137
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
^^^Unfortunately, this really sums up a lot of the new demographic of “Rolex” lately and why many of the TRF hardcore knowledge base left and is really not interested in the brand anymore. What will be left is a bunch of vapid hipsters that won’t know or even care about horology.
Sad, but incredibly true. I'm so glad I built my collection when I did, because it is difficult to really love the brand publicly with the environment that exists today.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:26 AM   #138
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Sad, but incredibly true. I'm so glad I built my collection when I did, because it is difficult to really love the brand publicly with the environment that exists today.
Old 2 April 2020, 12:30 AM   #139
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Interesting! Thanks for sharing~ OP!

JasTPE
Old 2 April 2020, 01:14 AM   #140
Cool watch
Banned

It's absolutely disgusting seeing these professional wrong men spewing their idiotic vitriol masquerading as self-righteousness.
Old 2 April 2020, 01:18 AM   #141
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravager135 View Post
am i the only one who thinks it's sad that we are tying exclusivity, cost, economics to watches that should only be purchased because you love them? It sucks to pay over msrp and it would certainly give me pause about what brands i collect, but to haggle and obsess over projections and feel "exclusive" by having a watch that someone else tells you is cool... C'mon.

As has been pointed out in this thread, if the cost drops and you pick one up for msrp or less, the watch will no longer be considered "cool" by the metrics by which you judge it. No one cared when i got a 116610lv three years ago. They won't if they are sitting in windows. I got it then because i loved it.
+1
Old 2 April 2020, 01:29 AM   #142
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
Great thread! Hopefully will get people to start enjoying watches instead of pure investment pieces...which should be looked at as an added bonus at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 April 2020, 01:30 AM   #143
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Looking at prices in the middle of a global pandemic IMO does not necessarily predict the price on the back end.

People rapidly dropping prices now just need to liquidate immediately. People buying them are looking for deals. No one knows whether the prices will bounce back in 6 months or continue to go down. Everyone just has their opinion and that's it. Not that different compared to the stock market
Old 2 April 2020, 01:33 AM   #144
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the watch will no longer be hot, and no one cares, the party is over, so there is no kudos.
Does anyone actually care or give kudos when someone acquires a Daytona or Pepsi? Lol....

What are we, 12? It's just a watch.
Old 2 April 2020, 01:37 AM   #145
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacherobsessive View Post
they’re hoping the economy crashes / goes into recession, so that they can acquire a watch at msrp; either 1) so they can feel they join the insta party of wearing a hot watch. Or 2) they can feel smug those that with the piece who may have paid more than msrp are hurting

either way, in the event of crash / recession, and the watch returning to msrp or under, means the watch will no longer be hot, and no one cares, the party is over, so there is no kudos. I.e. 1) is invalid during the said potential crash. And 2) they won’t feel so smug about those who paid over msrp as the interest no longer exists so that feeling will surely dissipate or not exist in the first place. They probably won’t be posting here any more as all hype will be over. It’ll only be rolex enthusiast like myself who will stick around, who were buying long before 2016/7 and will continue to afterwards

in either scenario, that kind person (wishing for economic crash person) will not be buying the piece either now or at msrp in the future (when used prices drop to that level) and is just a daydreamer.

+1
Old 2 April 2020, 01:38 AM   #146
Morrison0
Banned

StockX update in case anyone is interested.

Old 2 April 2020, 01:41 AM   #147
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison0 View Post
StockX update in case anyone is interested.

That black Daytona sold price is from August 2019. This is not a reliable metric to include IMO. Only hypebeasts would buy a Rolex off StockX anyways.
Old 2 April 2020, 01:44 AM   #148
Morrison0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
That black Daytona sold price is from August 2019. This is not a reliable metric to include IMO. Only hypebeasts would buy a Rolex off StockX anyways.

That’s why the PSA: “if anyone is interested”

Old 2 April 2020, 01:47 AM   #149
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison0 View Post
That’s why the PSA: “if anyone is interested”

The more telling sign to me, is that the last sold is her $23,000, yet there's somebody selling one right now for $20,750. and the highest offer on both colors is $18.5k.
Old 2 April 2020, 01:58 AM   #150
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Here's a New Pepsi listed for $15,750.00 for that's the cheapest I've seen one on C24.

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/gmt-m...id12605265.htm
Closed Thread