The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2020, 07:33 PM   #121
Marchy
"TRF" Member

I don't get it, why people are so upset that someone prefers not to wear his expensive watch at this time. I do still wear my nicer watch at work (yes I have to work) because I still like to look at time with the watch that I like, but I find the OP's gesture refreshing and I can't find anything offensive about this.
Marchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 07:50 PM   #122
RationalPragmatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Since I didn't buy any of my watches as a show of wealth or social status, I have no angst wearing them in the current situation. Conversely, I'm aware of the perceived value of my watches and avoid wearing certain watches in locations or situations that might be very risky from a theft or damage point of view. Ergo if the pandemic led to civil unrest and high crime where I lived, I'll wear the Grand Seiko instead of a Rolex
RationalPragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 07:59 PM   #123
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
I posted a similar post on a Diamond enthusiast website and got my arse handed to me.
I wear my 16570 around the house, it gives me some pleasure and lift of spirit.
Not to get off topic, I have a son who lives alone on the west coast and another son who is a Dr. in a hospital, being very stressed now. So any little pleasure, I have to take and enjoy for short spurts. OP, but I agree and understand your position.
I’m not surprised - it’s a ridiculous thing for you and the OP to say in my opinion. So I assume you’re going to sell the big house you may live in and the nice car you may own as well are you? Or, if you can’t sell them because of the current climate, walk everywhere and sleep in your shed.
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 08:04 PM   #124
TankTom
Banned

PS - to the OP and those that agree with him: people live in poverty (not just a temporary recession) every second of their lives in parts of the world. As such, it was unthoughtful of you to ever wear your Rolex

Last edited by TankTom; 3 April 2020 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Typo
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 08:21 PM   #125
Daniel12
"TRF" Member

Do what you want. It is fine but wearing a G shock instead of a Rolex doesn’t do anything for the suffering of the sick or the financially disabled. If there is a real concern do something more active.
Daniel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 08:25 PM   #126
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
if you want to make a difference go give blood. Not wearing a rolex isn't making an impact on anyone.

Regardless, enjoy and good luck.
x2
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 08:30 PM   #127
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmatt2002 View Post
I haven’t stopped wearing mine. Why should I? I worked hard for them and now find myself in the same position as many others with no work, stuck at home.

Yesterday at the supermarket the cashier was bragging about how well he is doing out of this situation. I nearly throttled him, the insensitive tw@t.
Absolutely no judgement on my part....but,
Some here, and elsewhere, might suggest that wearing a highly valuable watch is a form of bragging, at anytime.

If you want to read some real bragging, go through the Talking Stocks thread in the Open Discussion Forum here.
No, leaping into attitudes of virtue there.

Onwards and upwards everyone, let's all look towards the the bright sunlit uplands of 2021, where we can all (hopefully) brag about our new acquisitions, take pix of our watches and steering wheels, our cars and our motorcycles in a safer, healthier new year.

Me? I'm confined to barracks, under house arrest or whatever you want to call this new self isolation, getting low on the lovely Aussie Shiraz, hoping for a fresh delivery soon, desperately trying not to watch the evening news for too long, listening to SCALA Radio quite a bit.
Doing lots in the garden, waving to distant neighbours, making pots of tea for 'She who must be obeyed' (she's currently working from home).
We, in our little hamlet all stood on our doorsteps again, at 8 o'clock last evening, and applauded all the NHS and other support services, quite emotional.
Rolex's don't really feel that important, well, they're not really, are they?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 08:36 PM   #128
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

We’ve been socially isolated for the past 3 weeks, Rolex has stayed in the watch box, what is the point wearing a watch at all at present.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:18 PM   #129
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
We’ve been socially isolated for the past 3 weeks, Rolex has stayed in the watch box, what is the point wearing a watch at all at present.
I for one, have to know when it's mid-day, 'her ladyship' demands lunch at 12:30 precisely (she's an accountant).

Ps. The new, 'gardening watch', a £6 Casio bargain off of fleabay.

Stay safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (238.6 KB, 227 views)
Old 3 April 2020, 09:34 PM   #130
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgrouch View Post
Well put. Thank you for your empathy. This is not the time to flaunt wealth when so many of our fellow citizens are in so much suffering. I don't know anyone who hasn't been materially negatively affected by this pandemic.
I'm sorry but I have a watch and I'll wear it. I Never bought it to flaunt it. It's something I am proud to wear and a reminder of my goals in life.
Old 3 April 2020, 09:45 PM   #131
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Isn’t the consensus that 99.9% of people never notice your watch? In addition to not seeing people anymore shouldnt it be 100%

Crazy the amount of guilt people carry... how bout instead we act like pros and donate to local food banks and help people out? Buying a g shock to feel poor is really odd
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:51 PM   #132
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
I have several G-SHOCKS so I wouldn't need to go out and buy one ... but those are my Zombie Apocalypse watches .. not my Pandemic watches ... Also .. if you are spending money on G-Shocks and not food, rent and TP ... that kinda defeats the purpose also ..
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:55 PM   #133
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmatt2002 View Post
Yesterday at the supermarket the cashier was bragging about how well he is doing out of this situation. I nearly throttled him, the insensitive tw@t.
Excellent point. Having a positive attitude during these trying times is a definite no no. You should’ve scolded him.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:56 PM   #134
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Just realized, I’ve been wearing all of my watches more lately and my Rolexes are outnumbered by my Casio, Citizen and Seikos, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 April 2020, 10:02 PM   #135
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
i go to the grocery store wearing a platinum daydate.

no one cares or even notices.

i applaud your position but i’m not changing my habits. the only place i’ve been outside my home (and that of my ladyfriend) is the grocer’s. spending most of my time in pajamas has me enjoying my watches currently.

Old 3 April 2020, 10:03 PM   #136
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_Verbs View Post
I bought a $53 G Shock on Amazon and will be rocking this for the foreseeable future. I don’t feel right wearing a luxury watch considering the numbers of people about to be in dire straights.

No judgement on anyone. Maybe I’m too self conscious, but I don’t need to walk around with a car on my wrist at the moment.

YMMV
I kind of had the same feeling being locked in for the next 30 days so I put on something more tactical. The white lights have a flashing/strobe mode also which I used to use to alert Bartenders that my scotch glass was empty and needed emergency refilling now it's used as an emergency signal when I'm out of TP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTMA.jpg (96.1 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg MTM1.jpg (89.0 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg MTM##.jpg (99.5 KB, 213 views)
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:03 PM   #137
Leewae91
"TRF" Member

so its come to the point where buying a rolex is mainly for the purpose of showing off one's wealth?
Leewae91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:12 PM   #138
tle156
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Even pre Corona I found myself wearing my AW5 more and more over the Daytona. Yes the Daytona is far more prestigious and a mechanical work of art. Yes the AW5 will be in a landfill in a few years but for me I'm finding the functionality so useful its hard not to wear it. In a way it frees me from my phone as I can glance down to see if I have anything that requires pulling out my phone. Ive changed my routine a lot as have many people and I like keeping track of my activity etc it pushes me a little harder when I go on my walks/jogs etc. I kinda wish I had sold the Daytona when they were hitting almost 30k but at the end of the day its a nice thing I own and appreciate so I plan on keeping it. It's still a bit of a hobby of mine but it's expensive, useless jewelry.
Thank you for sharing. So at least I know that I am not alone here. To be honest I have used my AW S4 (of course stainless steel one) for more than 8 months. The more I use it, the more I find it extremely useful to to my work and life. More importantly, I tend to do more workout and care more about my health when using the AW. Rolex is always one of my hobbies but I do sometimes doubt that do I really need one
tle156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:17 PM   #139
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting thread. No right or wrong answer and just like most things it is up to the individual. I will wear what ever watch I want, when I want and not think another thing about it. I am neither right or wrong, I am just me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:26 PM   #140
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leewae91 View Post
so its come to the point where buying a rolex is mainly for the purpose of showing off one's wealth?
For some, that's always been true.
Old 3 April 2020, 10:28 PM   #141
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Excellent point. Having a positive attitude during these trying times is a definite no no. You should’ve scolded him.
There’s a distinct difference between being optimistic and boasting. Especially when the person you’re doing it to is currently out of work, yet is not claiming anything off the state. Yet he was and is in work!
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:28 PM   #142
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leewae91 View Post
That's a rather narrow view.

I don't. You might. Each to their own.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:30 PM   #143
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

Solid thought process but if you are properly social distancing, who is going to see anything?
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:51 PM   #144
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Interesting position to take.

Were you also not wearing luxury items everyday in observation of world hunger, insufficient clean water available, and war?
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 10:54 PM   #145
marcopolo05
"TRF" Member

There will always be a poor response to an originally good intended idea...

IE : you thought you were caring about others difficult situations yet you spend even more money on watches when you already owned a fine Rolex
marcopolo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:49 PM   #146
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
Your choice which I respect. My everyday watch is a 16750 GMT Master which I bought in 1982 and has travelled all over the world with me and I will continue to wear it virus or no virus.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:54 PM   #147
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
The only reason I don't wear them outside the house anymore is because they are one more thing I will have to disinfect at work (hospital).

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 12:20 AM   #148
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I, too, respect the opinion of the poster; but I’m not wearing my watches or ring for safety reasons. I am a volunteer EMT now, an am doing everything I can to not bring the virus home with me. I undress in the garage and use gloves to put my clothes in the washing machine after a call too.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 12:31 AM   #149
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
God forbid a $12/hour cashier finally feels good about job security or some near term benefit. Someone thats handling cash/cards and dealing with potentially sick people should not be bashed for a "positive attitude".
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 12:34 AM   #150
peterpl
Banned

I'm kind of feeling the same.

I would feel a bit weird me wearing a $30k or $40k Rolex (DD40 or RG SKyD) and walk past ppl lining up for help at the government unemployment line.

Havent worn my Rolex's for 3 weeks now.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote