The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 August 2017, 01:36 AM   #61
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesChristopher417 View Post
I understand its a Rolex forum and I do own a rolex but people really bash panerai without the knowledge. Having said that they do depreciate faster and don't retain their value.

I definitely stirred up some feelings......

Maybe ill just get the BLNR and keep the Panerai.....what the hell lol
Not quite so clear cut as saying simply that Rolex hold their values better than Panerai. Sure, some Panerais tank on value but some Rolex, such as SS Sub, BLNR, Daytona, certain Pepsi GMTS and D-Blue hold their value way better than others. DJs, Explorers and OPs for example, can be picked up at reasonable prices when pre-loved as can some TT and PM sports references.

Perhaps consider sitting on the 389 for a few months without wearing it and see how you feel then. You might change your mind. Good luck

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:46 AM   #62
mementomori1983
"TRF" Member

The depreciation on Panerai is a killer. Have you considered adding a Rolex instead of trading? You might find a renewed appreciation for your 389 down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mementomori1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 02:59 AM   #63
JamesChristopher417
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori1983 View Post
The depreciation on Panerai is a killer. Have you considered adding a Rolex instead of trading? You might find a renewed appreciation for your 389 down the road.

I saw the 389 and had to have it, maybe I'll get that have to wear feeling back. I don't if I can justify the big hit I would have to take to unload this piece.
Definitely want to add another Rolex.
JamesChristopher417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 03:01 AM   #64
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Funny but I actually just traded my DJ2 blue dial for the PAM 690 (plus some cash).

Someone's ying is always some else's yang I suppose.

OP, if you aren't wearing the Panerai and are tired of it, flip away. Who cares, as long as you're happy and you get the watch you really want.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 03:07 AM   #65
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
The OP had an itch for the Panerai, scratched it, and can be done with it now. If scratching that itch costs some money it was still worth it. The alternative is still having that itch and never getting satisfaction. When I get an itch like that, if I don't scratch it I will obsess over it and lose sleep. Avoiding that cannot be valued in terms of dollars, at least not for me.

So I say flip the Panerai, take the hit, and move on.
Old 19 August 2017, 03:23 AM   #66
psv
"TRF" Member

While Panerai is an old brand (before they got into watches) and they have a strong following, the general market is definitely gone soft on larger (44mm and over) watches, and one can anticipate this to continue (however, larger watches are here to stay, ergo they are not going away per se). Thus, the price on a Panerai may very well drop further, but no one knows for sure.

Regardless, take the hit, life is too short to own a watch you don't absolutely love, regardless of brand/model/style.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 03:32 AM   #67
rollee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: it watching me
Yes, time to move on.
The joy of a new piece will overcome the memory of the loss.
Old 19 August 2017, 04:22 AM   #68
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Not quite so clear cut as saying simply that Rolex hold their values better than Panerai. Sure, some Panerais tank on value but some Rolex, such as SS Sub, BLNR, Daytona, certain Pepsi GMTS and D-Blue hold their value way better than others. DJs, Explorers and OPs for example, can be picked up at reasonable prices when pre-loved as can some TT and PM sports references.

Perhaps consider sitting on the 389 for a few months without wearing it and see how you feel then. You might change your mind. Good luck

Great advice from a WIS.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 05:12 AM   #69
Roy Rolls
"TRF" Member

Hit only gets worse the longer you wait !
Roy Rolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 05:16 AM   #70
T-Bro
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43PAM389IWC3538
Icon7 Hold on to the 389

Since the original poster said that they did not need to sell the 389, I thought I would throw out the idea that they might want to hold on to it for a different look. I may be biased as the owner of a SD 43 and a PAM 389, but I love divers and think my two watches are about the coolest of the breed out there.

Once I scored a SD 43 in Italy this summer, I have to admit I spent less time with the 389 on my wrist. However, it is a fun piece to mix things up and it is an unusual look for Panerai. I really like the titanium case and the anti magnetic cage (not sure what it is doing for me?). I think there was excellent advice earlier in the thread about the ability to buy a variety of straps for the 389. Having a blue camo Horus and an OEM Panerai leather strap that work great with the watch make it very versatile. Plus the easy change bars make it a painless process to change the configuration.

I think part of my feelings stem from my large 7.75 inch wrists. Never liked the 40MM size of Rolex and gave my GMT II to my wife, who loves it. Did not like the dimensions of the Deepsea and waited for the SD 43. It is perfect and likely to be the only Rolex I ever own (unless they make more in the 43MM or 44MM size). And not to be critical, but I think that Rolex is very much about a design standard and having different SS sports watches is not a bunch of variety. For variety, I have a couple of Panerais, 3 B&Rs (one diver and two aviation) and 2 quartz Seiko divers. And for the field, have a couple of Suunto core watches.

I guess the biggest question the OP needs to ask themselves is if they are a collector? If so, I think a good collection features watches from several makers. If they are just a one watch profile, they should sell the 389 and take the hit and buy the BLNR. Not what I would do, as I don't care for the PCLs, but you should wear the watch you like.

Wished I would have seen this post last year and I would be wearing a much lower cost 389 tomorrow.

Good luck with your decision!

T-Bro
T-Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 06:50 AM   #71
wakali
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
IMHO, do it for the BLNR but not for the Explorer II. Good luck on scratching the itch. I too am going through that at the moment.
Old 19 August 2017, 06:51 AM   #72
H-Watches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ExplorerII View Post
Scratch that itch!
Attachment 884316
That picture is stunning! You captured the lume beautifully!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
H-Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:12 AM   #73
aquaman1
Banned

Take the shot
aquaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 07:16 AM   #74
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
The Panerai market is really soft at the moment. Whether it recovers is something that is not guaranteed. Unfortunately there has been a loss of interest as well as a flood of nearly identical replicas from China causing this problem. The BLNR is a great watch and a smart purchase. I can't praise it enough! However market prices on your PAM might recover. If you don't mind losing a couple grand to get into a watch that will hold its value at worst and appreciate in the long term at best go for it! Buy the BLNR new. The spread is so small (smaller than the Hulk even) it's not worth buying it 2nd hand, maybe not even brand new without the warranty for a $4-500 discount. Also do it before a price increase! It's been priced at $8950 since 2013. I can't see that price lasting that much longer and no one knows how much longer it will be in production. They can introduce a Coke and discontinue the BLNR. Only Rolex knows.

I know that value retention shouldn't be the main driver in a watch purchase otherwise people would only buy sports Rolex and Patek but it is always an added benefit it what you like also happens to perform well. If someone likes Datejusts and Day-Dates they shouldn't buy Subs, GMTs and Daytonas just because those don't depreciate like the former. However some purchases are clearly better than others. For example: BLNR was LN. Retail is just a $500 difference but there can be a nearly $2k difference when reselling. Patek 5711 white dial vs. blue dial. Same price but blue is a lot more valuable. Royal Oak 15400st, again blue is a lot more valuable than white or black but also no discounts are available on the GM. Unless money is not a concern at all, it's wise to take these things into account.
Old 19 August 2017, 08:10 AM   #75
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I tried Panerai a few years back. Couldn't bond with it. Cut it loose. Get a Rolex. BLNR has better resale currently the the Polar. I'd get out while the gettin's good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2017, 08:20 AM   #76
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I tried Panerai a few years back. Couldn't bond with it. Cut it loose. Get a Rolex. BLNR has better resale currently the the Polar. I'd get out while the gettin's good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The best value in sports Rolex is an old 16570 40mm Polar with red GMT hand. Really underrated watch. They can be picked up for around $4k in great condition with a little bit of hunting. The bigger size 216570 with the orange hand is nice but they take a really big hit (over $2k when adding tax) when bought new. There's several mint condition ones on chrono24 for $6k. Some are even negotiable! That means at least $5800. Never buy a new Explorer II black or polar! This is worse depreciation that most Datejusts! They're awesome watches though and really a bargain at the depreciated price.
Old 19 August 2017, 08:55 AM   #77
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Especially TT Daytonas. It's really unbelievable that they would be worth much more if all of the gold could be removed. Only with this particular watch. It must be SS or full PM. Probably the worst value in the entire Rolex lineup is a TT Daytona at its full $16900 retail or rather $18400 with tax.
Old 19 August 2017, 09:34 AM   #78
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Let her go if the love isn't there!
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 01:59 PM   #79
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
I love reading crap like this from the haters who clearly know nothing about the brand.

Panerai has been around since 1860, which is about 45 years longer than Rolex, so it's hardly a 'trendy' brand.
WJGESQ has a perpetual hard-on for any and all brands that are not Rolex (except, of course, for those he happens to own or has owned), and posts accordingly, used to troll the AP and Patek forums until he got put on notice. And even within the Rolex family, he tends to throw shade on (surprise, surprise) models other than the Sub, which he just happens to own (the Hulk, which is, of course, the very very very best model that Rolex makes). Bigtime fanboy.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:19 PM   #80
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge Rolex fan and have just returned to the fold as an Omega and Panerai owner. I like the 389 and think that the watch has a lot to offer for a 47 mm diver. I believe that the retail on the 389 is 11K and can be had NIB in the 8-8.5K range. Several pre-owned models have moved through at less than that. We say it all the time but it is true. "Buy right and a sell or a flip does not hurt as bad". It all comes down to what you paid and the value on a trade or a sale. Contact several Trusted Sellers and see what they would give you on a trade toward a BLNR. Be specific with them. If you just send a note asking the value of your watch you will get a much lower value as they do not know what you are looking at and the margins they have in that watch. I will not keep a watch that I do not wear or enjoy and very seldom when I lose the lust for a watch does it come back. Get all the information and make an informed decision. I would go TS as the ease of the transaction and dependability of what I am getting offsets the headaches of a private sale. Good luck and I look forward to an Incoming thread.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 10:30 PM   #81
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I would not trade. Panerai and Rolex are so different that makes them perfect to own together. I love em both.
Old 21 August 2017, 07:36 AM   #82
JamesChristopher417
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bro View Post
Since the original poster said that they did not need to sell the 389, I thought I would throw out the idea that they might want to hold on to it for a different look. I may be biased as the owner of a SD 43 and a PAM 389, but I love divers and think my two watches are about the coolest of the breed out there.

Once I scored a SD 43 in Italy this summer, I have to admit I spent less time with the 389 on my wrist. However, it is a fun piece to mix things up and it is an unusual look for Panerai. I really like the titanium case and the anti magnetic cage (not sure what it is doing for me?). I think there was excellent advice earlier in the thread about the ability to buy a variety of straps for the 389. Having a blue camo Horus and an OEM Panerai leather strap that work great with the watch make it very versatile. Plus the easy change bars make it a painless process to change the configuration.

I think part of my feelings stem from my large 7.75 inch wrists. Never liked the 40MM size of Rolex and gave my GMT II to my wife, who loves it. Did not like the dimensions of the Deepsea and waited for the SD 43. It is perfect and likely to be the only Rolex I ever own (unless they make more in the 43MM or 44MM size). And not to be critical, but I think that Rolex is very much about a design standard and having different SS sports watches is not a bunch of variety. For variety, I have a couple of Panerais, 3 B&Rs (one diver and two aviation) and 2 quartz Seiko divers. And for the field, have a couple of Suunto core watches.

I guess the biggest question the OP needs to ask themselves is if they are a collector? If so, I think a good collection features watches from several makers. If they are just a one watch profile, they should sell the 389 and take the hit and buy the BLNR. Not what I would do, as I don't care for the PCLs, but you should wear the watch you like.

Wished I would have seen this post last year and I would be wearing a much lower cost 389 tomorrow.

Good luck with your decision!

T-Bro

T-Bro thanks for the great response! Definitely something to consider if I am going to really expand and create a collection. Selling off pieces kind of defeats the purpose and is counterproductive to starting a collection. Maybe I need to add and not subtract. Maybe having more options will make me appreciate the Panerai a little more.
Old 21 August 2017, 07:44 AM   #83
JamesChristopher417
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a huge Rolex fan and have just returned to the fold as an Omega and Panerai owner. I like the 389 and think that the watch has a lot to offer for a 47 mm diver. I believe that the retail on the 389 is 11K and can be had NIB in the 8-8.5K range. Several pre-owned models have moved through at less than that. We say it all the time but it is true. "Buy right and a sell or a flip does not hurt as bad". It all comes down to what you paid and the value on a trade or a sale. Contact several Trusted Sellers and see what they would give you on a trade toward a BLNR. Be specific with them. If you just send a note asking the value of your watch you will get a much lower value as they do not know what you are looking at and the margins they have in that watch. I will not keep a watch that I do not wear or enjoy and very seldom when I lose the lust for a watch does it come back. Get all the information and make an informed decision. I would go TS as the ease of the transaction and dependability of what I am getting offsets the headaches of a private sale. Good luck and I look forward to an Incoming thread.
Yes the retail on the 389 is 11k. I have asked around and the offers have been stomach wrenching, have all been in the same ball park which makes me realize maybe the hit I would take would be too big.which is why after the passed few days I may just hang with 389 and add to the collection. I do agree that if the list for the watch disappears the watch should follow however if the market isn't there not sure the hit is justifiable.
Old 21 August 2017, 08:17 AM   #84
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

If you don't LOVE it then flip it.... Being a watch enthusiast isn't about making financially sound decisions, it's about wearing what you love!

southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 09:07 AM   #85
benvh
"TRF" Member

The value is already gone whether you sell it or not. You can keep it and enjoy it regardless of value. If selling will allow you to buy something you will actually wear, I say do it. If keeping it won't make you like or wear it more, then what's the point?

Ben
benvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 09:24 AM   #86
Bobby Lee Swagger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
Buy a new Rolex!!
Bobby Lee Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 09:34 AM   #87
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
WJGESQ has a perpetual hard-on for any and all brands that are not Rolex (except, of course, for those he happens to own or has owned), and posts accordingly, used to troll the AP and Patek forums until he got put on notice. And even within the Rolex family, he tends to throw shade on (surprise, surprise) models other than the Sub, which he just happens to own (the Hulk, which is, of course, the very very very best model that Rolex makes). Bigtime fanboy.

We should send this guy to summer school, to learn about other watch brands
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blnr , panerai , sell , trade