The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2020, 08:35 PM   #241
AG23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Playing Devil's advocate, you could just as easily asked to try something on.

50% of people don't want to be spoken to and just left to browse, the other 50% want 'the experience' (whatever made-up nonsense that is supposed to be). There's no winning.
Whilst it is undoubtedly true that a lot of people want to be left alone to browse, you are remiss in your retail duties if you don’t welcome someone into your shop and ask if there is something you can help with. You’re not walking into a supermarket...
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 08:50 PM   #242
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG23 View Post
Whilst it is undoubtedly true that a lot of people want to be left alone to browse, you are remiss in your retail duties if you don’t welcome someone into your shop and ask if there is something you can help with. You’re not walking into a supermarket...
The poster did say he was offered a greeting (subjectively stating that it was 'generic'). Saying 'hello' or 'good afternoon' or 'welcome' is a fairly standard way to greet people, so I suppose it will inherently seem generic.

If someone were to welcome me upon arrival and leave me to browse I would be perfectly happy. I think it goes without say that if you need any further help you ask for it.

But then I fall in the camp of preferring not to be followed around and have a sales assistant on me like a rash.

I say if you have a mouth in your head, use it. Quietly seething so you can later moan on a forum accomplishes nothing and seems petty. If a store ignores your well articulated comments face to face, then I would say they have failed in their duty to assist you.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:00 PM   #243
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
The poster did say he was offered a greeting (subjectively stating that it was 'generic'). Saying 'hello' or 'good afternoon' or 'welcome' is a fairly standard way to greet people, so I suppose it will inherently seem generic.

If someone were to welcome me upon arrival and leave me to browse I would be perfectly happy. I think it goes without say that if you need any further help you ask for it.

But then I fall in the camp of preferring not to be followed around and have a sales assistant on me like a rash.

I say if you have a mouth in your head, use it. Quietly seething so you can later moan on a forum accomplishes nothing and seems petty. If a store ignores your well articulated comments face to face, then I would say they have failed in their duty to assist you.
I've worked in sales and customer service all my life, I honestly don't think it's that hard to tell the difference between a genuine sales approach and a generic, going through the motions one. I wasn't expecting to be treat like royalty, just to not feel unwelcome would be enough. I'm not the entitled type despite how my post might read.

Haha, I wasn't quietly seething and thinking to myself, this would be great content for a forum whinge, just surprised than they weren't warmer and more naturally helpful (like my later experience with Tudor). I didn't mean to come off as petty, my intention was to add value to the thread by sharing my recent experiences with Rolex AD's vs other brands.

Every time, I asked about other configurations but I felt all of the staff were on auto queue with their responses and no-one asked me any other questions to really understand my needs. Once i got the brush off, I left.

You are right I could have, and possibly should have asked to try something on. I'll try this approach on my next visit, maybe I have been to hasty in my judgement.

I guess with hindsight, most walk-ins are time wasters and I should have been more inquisitive. The stores were all fairly busy so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try a different more direct approach on my next visit.

Peace brother
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:17 PM   #244
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
I've worked in sales and customer service all my life, I honestly don't think it's that hard to tell the difference between a genuine sales approach and a generic, going through the motions one. I wasn't expecting to be treat like royalty, just to not feel unwelcome would be enough. I'm not the entitled type despite how my post might read.

Haha, I wasn't quietly seething and thinking to myself, this would be great content for a forum whinge, just surprised than they weren't warmer and more naturally helpful (like my later experience with Tudor). I didn't mean to come off as petty, my intention was to add value to the thread by sharing my recent experiences with Rolex AD's vs other brands.

Every time, I asked about other configurations but I felt all of the staff were on auto queue with their responses and no-one asked me any other questions to really understand my needs. Once i got the brush off, I left.

You are right I could have, and possibly should have asked to try something on. I'll try this approach on my next visit, maybe I have been to hasty in my judgement.

I guess with hindsight, most walk-ins are time wasters and I should have been more inquisitive. The stores were all fairly busy so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and try a different more direct approach on my next visit.

Peace brother
For the record, I in no way intended to suggest you sounded entitled.

And to you
Old 11 July 2020, 10:48 PM   #245
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You will land on an SA at an AD where you feel comfortable in due course. It commonly takes several visits for relationships to develop, and good ones tend to develop organically as opposed to being driven.

There's also nothing wrong with taking control. Being proactive, rather than passively reactive. If you want something, ask for it.

Retail sales is a tough environment. Good sales people should make a prospect feel welcome, even if they are having a really bad day. But it doesn't hurt to see things from their POV and meet them half way.

If you feel someone is being genuinely unprofessional and/or rude, ask to speak to the head of department/store owner, or obtain their contact details. If they are any good at their job they will care. If they are not, then you know all you need to. And they'll never get a penny of your money. Which would be a win win.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:53 PM   #246
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
You will land on an SA at an AD where you feel comfortable in due course. It commonly takes several visits for relationships to develop, and good ones tend to develop organically as opposed to being driven.

There's also nothing wrong with taking control. Being proactive, rather than passively reactive. If you want something, ask for it.

Retail sales is a tough environment. Good sales people should make a prospect feel welcome, even if they are having a really bad day. But it doesn't hurt to see things from their POV and meet them half way.

If you feel someone is being genuinely unprofessional and/or rude, ask to speak to the head of department/store owner, or obtain their contact details. If they are any good at their job they will care. If they are not, then you know all you need to. And they'll never get a penny of your money. Which would be a win win.
I agree with every word of this
Old 11 July 2020, 11:00 PM   #247
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

Yeah, i hear you. Having now slept on it (my latest AD experience was yesterday and emotions were raw) I do accept all of the well made points put forward and will take a different approach before casting any final judgments.
Old 12 July 2020, 02:35 AM   #248
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, i hear you. Having now slept on it (my latest AD experience was yesterday and emotions were raw) I do accept all of the well made points put forward and will take a different approach before casting any final judgments.

Yes don’t feel put off by it.

Next time go in, tell them you want to buy xyz, if they have it and you like it then buy it.

If they don’t have it, ask if they can obtain it. If not go elsewhere.

Not saying you fall into this camp, but I do think many expect a level of obsequiousness from the SAs when they imagine the buying experience.

If those days ever existed they are long gone with the current demand levels.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:58 AM   #249
vh2k
"TRF" Member

If an SA sees someone looking at a particular watch and doesn’t say “Here, try it on.” or ask “Do you want to try it on?” — it’s the equivalent of not asking “Do you want to drive it?” or “Can we make that a combo meal?”

It’s a sales failure on the most fundamental level.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:00 AM   #250
Xenon
Banned

The latest AD sales pitch is "when are you ready to buy?"
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:23 AM   #251
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
If an SA sees someone looking at a particular watch and doesn’t say “Here, try it on.” or ask “Do you want to try it on?” — it’s the equivalent of not asking “Do you want to drive it?” or “Can we make that a combo meal?”

It’s a sales failure on the most fundamental level.

You’re spot on with this. Whenever I am looking at a watch my AD will almost force it on my wrist. I’ve given excuses like “it’s not my style, it’s too big, it’s way out of my price range, I already have a similar one, yellow gold doesn’t suit me” but they still insist I try it on. Their line is “you never know until you see it on your wrist.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:59 AM   #252
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
You’re spot on with this. Whenever I am looking at a watch my AD will almost force it on my wrist. I’ve given excuses like “it’s not my style, it’s too big, it’s way out of my price range, I already have a similar one, yellow gold doesn’t suit me” but they still insist I try it on. Their line is “you never know until you see it on your wrist.”

There are many reasons an SA can use to justify your trying on a watch — even if you are reluctant.

1. Try it just to feel how comfortable the bracelet is.
2. Try it to see how light/heavy/substantial it is.
3. Try it to see how it fits on your wrist.
4. Try it to see how the light plays off the dial/bezel/case.
5. Try it to confirm that you don’t like it or hate it.
6. Try it to see what a (insert brand) feels like.

I can easily come up with 10 more.

Even if you don’t buy a watch, you walk out more educated/informed and feel like you were treated better. That is part of the sales process.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:09 AM   #253
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
There are many reasons an SA can use to justify your trying on a watch — even if you are reluctant.

1. Try it just to feel how comfortable the bracelet is.
2. Try it to see how light/heavy/substantial it is.
3. Try it to see how it fits on your wrist.
4. Try it to see how the light plays off the dial/bezel/case.
5. Try it to confirm that you don’t like it or hate it.
6. Try it to see what a (insert brand) feels like.

I can easily come up with 10 more.

Even if you don’t buy a watch, you walk out more educated/informed and feel like you were treated better. That is part of the sales process.

Totally. For some people sales and service comes naturally or they are fast learners.

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 05:17 AM   #254
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrane View Post
I apologize up front for this mini-rant. I’m sure this topic isn’t new.

I’ll start off by saying that I’m not a big “watch guy”. I’ve owned a few watches over the years, and I’m familiar with a few of the nice watch brands, but I’ve never spent much time on watch forums, sites, blogs, etc.

About a month ago I decided I’d like to get a Submariner with date. I want to buy it from an authorized dealer. I almost bought one about 15 years ago and had no idea how much things have changed. Obviously the pandemic has complicated things, but I didn’t realize how difficult it seems to be to actually walk into a dealer, hand then $10k and walk out with a watch.

I’ve called several dealers (and gone into one) and get everything from we’ll put your name on a “list” with no idea of when they’ll have a watch for me, to “sorry, we don’t have any and our list is really long”. It doesn’t help that I live in Austin which isn’t exactly swimming in dealers. I’ve got to say that the lack of transparency is pretty frustrating. I get that they can’t sell me what they don’t have, but it feels like I should be able to give somebody a deposit and a rough expectation of when to come pick up my watch.

I admittedly don’t have a relationship with any jewelers. My wife doesn’t wear jewelry except for an inexpensive necklace I bought her 20 years ago and her wedding/engagement rings. I quit buying her anything else since she never wears it. I’m not sure how to convince a dealer that I’m not a flipper if for no other reason than it wouldn’t be worth my time.

It honestly feels like I’m trying to play a game where I don’t really understand all the rules. I’m not interested in the grey market because I don’t feel informed enough to ensure I’m buying an authentic watch. I guess this approach is working well for Rolex, but it sure is frustrating - which I can’t imagine is a word that any brand wants associated with their purchase experience. I wonder if there’s a point in time where this approach comes back to bite them.

If one of the dealers calls me back and tells me they have a watch for me, I’ll go buy it, but honestly I’m also sitting here thinking that $10k would pay for a really nice new mountain bike and trip this fall.
I understand that it is frustrating. I'm lucky to have gotten the ones I wanted.
But putting myself in the place of someone who has to wait months and months, which remains a watch, well I will look elsewhere or I will do other things with my money than having to kneel to spend it…

Then it is not to break the dream, but the experience of finally being able to buy it is not.
Victim of success, you are the bastard who buys a steel pro, so if you don't want it another will take it in 15 minutes.
Consequently, no discount, unless you buy several per year, you will not be remembered.
No consideration, gift, invitation, even though you snap thousands into a watch. But well done, you are proud you have your Rolex.
In short, we do much better elsewhere.

That said, I'm a big fan of the crown brand, it's a passion. But we must admit that we laugh at us almost everywhere.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium

Last edited by Toproll85; 12 July 2020 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: add text
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:43 AM   #255
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
I mean, I don’t know what else you expected to hear from the AD’s?
You have zero purchase and relationship history so obviously you will not be chosen to receive the next available Sub date over the people who actually do
Have a purchase history and rapport with the AD. They’re just being honest with you. Good luck in your hunt !
Agree. The market is worldwide and is governed by supply/demand. Rolex is a master marketer and has put the AD's in the position of having to pick winners and losers. The winners have a purchase history and relationship. For most prospective new customers without those things, it's a frustrating waiting game.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 07:10 AM   #256
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
My AD always asks me, "Are you being served?" That works!
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 06:51 PM   #257
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would also recommend calling the AD first. Have a conversation over the phone to discuss what you are looking for and what they have in stock for you to try on. Make an appointment to go there when the actual SA you spoke to will be there and ask for them by name when you get there.

All of this Suggests serious intent on your part and separates you from the usual day dreamers and tyre kickers that are walking through the door all day long.
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 08:01 PM   #258
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
I have agreed with a few posts regarding AD’s attitude so only right to give praise where due ie Pragnell in Stratford-upon-Avon UK, (they were recommended on this forum, never knew them before) a totally different experience from other AD’s which ended up with a 116613LB purchase on first visit, I’ve also seen on this forum that Pragnell in Mayfair London are very good, I suppose I’ve only enquired at the larger chains before, this was the first independent, well done TRF.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 08:08 PM   #259
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSpecial View Post
I would also recommend calling the AD first. Have a conversation over the phone to discuss what you are looking for and what they have in stock for you to try on. Make an appointment to go there when the actual SA you spoke to will be there and ask for them by name when you get there.

All of this Suggests serious intent on your part and separates you from the usual day dreamers and tyre kickers that are walking through the door all day long.
Cheers Cali, i've set an appointment up for tomorrow.
Old 12 July 2020, 08:18 PM   #260
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Good luck for tomorrow, yes I think having an actual appointment rather than a walk in shows intent.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 09:08 PM   #261
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Hope it goes well.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 11:42 PM   #262
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good move !

Did they say they had stock in ?

Fingers crossed for an incoming

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:15 AM   #263
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Good move !

Did they say they had stock in ?

Fingers crossed for an incoming
Yeah they have what I'm looking for. As soon as I mentioned TT DJ they were very helpful lol.

They also have a TT SkyD & TT black Sub too but i'm pretty set on the DJ. I'll update the thread after my visit. Excited.

I've wore a 36mm for years so not sure if the 41 will feel too big/look right but they have it in 36mm too so i like my chances.
Old 13 July 2020, 03:38 AM   #264
mopsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Exp2,BlkBy,SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger67 View Post
I have agreed with a few posts regarding AD’s attitude so only right to give praise where due ie Pragnell in Stratford-upon-Avon UK, (they were recommended on this forum, never knew them before) a totally different experience from other AD’s which ended up with a 116613LB purchase on first visit, I’ve also seen on this forum that Pragnell in Mayfair London are very good, I suppose I’ve only enquired at the larger chains before, this was the first independent, well done TRF.
I was in Stratford a few years ago and went into Pragnells. I made it clear that I wasn't buying right then but they couldn't have been more accommodating and really indulged me, letting me try on anything I wanted.
I was so impressed, in fact, that I very nearly made the journey from Kent to buy from them when I was eventually ready.
Old 13 July 2020, 07:15 AM   #265
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great news! Good luck and I’ll keep an eye out for your incoming post!
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 10:54 AM   #266
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

That is the game we all play. I just recently had this conversation with a friend in NYC, he wanted a "Panda" and was frustrated he could not just simply buy one.

The buying process seems elitist (well, it is), but if you want these luxury goods, it is the game we are playing.

1) Get some TT or PM pieces and some jewelry for your wife. $10k+ spends
2) Within a month or two, you will get the call for some SS pieces. Trust me.
3) Wife is happy and you are too. Your SS watches are beautiful and some have double the value when you leave the ADs place.
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote