The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2022, 08:40 AM   #1
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DateJust 16013
Omega Railmaster 2503.52 Just Back from Omega Service Center [Photos Attached]

About a week after I took my TT DJ 16013 into my local Rolex AD to go the RSC, I took my Railmaster 2503.52 to my local Omega AD for a trip to the OSC. Interestingly, the Rolex got back from the Lititz, PA RSC in 62 days, but the Omega took 104 days to return from the OSC in New Jersey. Maybe it's because Omegas end up being worn and in need of service more than Rolex watches when so many seem to find their way into safes . . . or whatever.

I bought the Railmaster new in 2010 and this was its first trip to the OSC. It had always lost a second or two per day, but lately it had gotten to -10 sec/day. I requested a "light polish." This was my first experience with Omega service. I was surprised to find two little baggies of parts and seals that had been replaced. Looking at them casually, they look great, but apparently not good enough for the Omega tech with a loupe.

Although Omega service provides a 24-month warranty, there is no specific warranty card included, just an Omega card with service notations. You will note the number 1479454 written on the card. That is not the serial number of the watch, but the number does match a number and bar code on a plastic wrap that came around the watch after servicing. Maybe that is the service record number maintained by the service center. Any thoughts on that?

I'm very satisfied thus far. I made sure I gave the watch 45 winds after I picked it up and set the precise time. Using the face up bedtime position last night the watch gained 3 seconds. Tonight I'm going to try the crown-up bedtime position and see how that works. Below are photos.

It's not scratches on the crown, it's dust I didn't wipe off . . . oops

Denver Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 08:55 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Excellent. Thanks for the detailed report.

They replaced a lot of stuff. Was all of this included in the standard "Full Maintenance Service", or were there itemized additions for some parts?
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 09:11 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good report. Nice watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 07:51 AM   #4
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Excellent. Thanks for the detailed report.

They replaced a lot of stuff. Was all of this included in the standard "Full Maintenance Service", or were there itemized additions for some parts?
Yeah, I was a little surprised by the number and size of the parts replaced. I would have thought that there might have been an little extra charge, but no. It was the quoted/estimated standard overall price of $550. There was a charge for shipping and insurance from the AD to the OSC and a bit of California sales tax, otherwise just the standard full service fee.

By the way, while it was +3 sec/day with a dial-up bedtime position the first day, it was +1 sec/day with a crown-up bedtime position the second day.

Old 22 June 2022, 07:58 AM   #5
Bayarea7
"TRF" Member

very nice! dont see too many of those
Bayarea7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2022, 08:41 AM   #6
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea7 View Post
very nice! don't see too many of those
Yeah, it's my understanding that this Railmaster 2503.52 was offered from 2003 to 2010. I tried a couple of other Omega models but settled on this one and sold the others. I normally like a date complication, but this dial is so classic, simple and clean, a date window would look completely out of place.

It has settled in now running +1.5 sec/day. That equals about +45 sec/month. This is now my everyday watch so I plan on setting it 20 seconds slow at the beginning of the month and reset it at the end of the month when it will be about 25 seconds fast. In a couple of years, I'll probably bring my Rolex TT DJ 16013 into service and give the Omega a rest in the safe for a while.

Frankly, I like both my watches so much I find it difficult to decide which one to wear every day, but I'm not into trading off every other day. So, I plan to trade off every couple of years.

Old 25 June 2022, 11:04 PM   #7
Northbound
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the post! My Railmaster is due for a service as well. I was debating on whether I should send mine into the service center in Jersey or somewhere else. I had a bad experience with the Jersey Service center when I sent in my Quartz Seamaster. It’s a long story, but I had to send the watch back 3 times. I said to myself…if they can screw up a quartz watch this bad, do I really want to send them a mechanical watch!? They made it right in the end. Good to know that you had a good experience. Maybe I’ll give them another shot.
Northbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2022, 05:40 PM   #8
Ronin64
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Omega SMP
I need to send in a older 2255.80, can I request no polish?
Ronin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2022, 10:48 PM   #9
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Glad you have it back, Wayne. It's such a nice feeling and when I sent one in thought it was great / cool to get the original parts back with it.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2022, 11:11 PM   #10
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Fantastic watch
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2022, 10:23 AM   #11
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin64 View Post
I don't know. Although the Railmaster was 12 years old when I sent it in, I'd worn it for only 7 of those years. It only a few tiny scratches. So, I asked for a very light polish. Based on my examination, it looks like that's what it got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Glad you have it back, Wayne. It's such a nice feeling and when I sent one in thought it was great / cool to get the original parts back with it.
As I noted above, I was surprised to get the parts returned. I had fun examining them with a 10x loupe. Heck, they look fine to me, but I'm no watchmaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Fantastic watch
Thanks, I think so, too. The dial and hands are so cool. Sometimes when I check the time while watching TV or on the computer, I find myself staring at the unique second hand sweeping around the dial . . . almost mesmerized.

Old 14 July 2022, 08:12 PM   #12
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin64 View Post
I believe so, but it's probably a good idea to phone Customer Service and ask if/how you would specify this, just to be sure. It's been ages since I have used Omega Service (prefer Nesbit's), but I think I recall there was a way to communicate preferences such as this.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote