The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > For Sale: ROLEX (brand) watches

Old 14 June 2010, 08:25 PM   #1
964RS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Something vintage.
FS: DOUBLE RED SEA DWELLER ROLEX 1665 - Great Dive Provenance

I have decided to sell a couple of my very rare Rolex pieces to continue to fund my classic Porsche addiction.

First up is an extremely rare Rolex 1665 Double Red Sea Dweller and to follow it will be a 5513 milsub.

Those of you who know about rare Rolex sports models will know the Double Red Seadweller is one of the most sought after models by collectors worldwide – holding a number of ‘1st’s for Rolex design and function and being the watch of choice for most commercial deep sea diving experts back in the 70’s.

For those of you who don’t then there is some good information on the dial variations etc here: http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/dr_dials.htm

This particular watch is even rarer than most coming with incredible dive provenance.

The original owner of the watch was a deep sea explosives expert who purchased the watch because of its helium escape valve, depth rating and deep sea reliability almost 40 years ago, as he often dived up to 1000ft during commercial dives. The watch was used on some very famous dives throughout its life and comes with a letter of provenance from the owner.

The owner confirms that some of the more interesting dives that the watch was used on included:

- Repairing a buckled pipeline in the North Sea at 930ft for 8 days (decompression was 12 days!)

- Recovering 4 Caterpillar tractors from 800ft in the Arctic that had slid off a ship during a storm!

- Blowing the props off the famous Lusitania when the ship was recovered off the coast of Ireland http://www.lusitania.net/

- Blowing a 300 yard passage through a reef in Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean so the Americans could get their big ships in to unload.

However the watch was used worldwide in places such as Saudi, Libya, Vietnam, Mekong Delta, Brazil, the North Sea etc etc on many many occasions.

This watch is an original mk3 dating from 1972 and has its 3.77m serial number clearly visible between the lugs – as is the 1665 at the other end.

The lugs are nice and thick with correct chamfered edges having been serviced by Rolex London back in 2004 for the previous owner and with this paperwork on file.

The case is solid with no sign of corrosion and only the odd mark from normal wear. There are no serious dents or dings that can be seen. The watch has a brand new old stock domed Tropic 39 crystal that I have just had fitted from Rolex London.

The case back has the rare early Sea Dweller outer engraving with the straight ‘Rolex’ across it and is correctly engraved inside with 1665 and the serial number. It also shows a number of other service inscriptions that have been carried out over its lifetime.

The watch wears the correct 93150 fliplock Rolex bracelet with diver’s extension for this year watch and has the correct rare 585 end pieces for use on the double red 1665.

It also comes with its rare and correct DRSD Seahorse box and triangular green leather display box with slash card.

What makes this watch rarer still is that it is one of a handful of watches that now proudly wears a mk5 dial. During the service in 2004 Rolex made a special request for a replacement dial for the customer from Geneva as the watch was still used for diving. The mk5 dial is a very rare variant that we believe was only provided to a handful of special clients and had to be authorised and sent direct from Geneva. The paperwork with this watch confirms this to be the case.

Differing from a ‘service replacement’ dial these dials still have the “Swiss – T < 25” at the 6 marker and not “Swiss” as is seen on purely service dials - making this the last of the true double reds.

Following its service the watch was worn little and has only been worn occasionally by myself on rotation. For its age it is in fantastic condition and obviously the dial, hands, bezel insert etc are all mint.

I will be sorry to see it go but hope it goes to another collector who understands these pieces and appreciates this ones additional uniqueness – pieces like this rarely come to market.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to get in touch.

Price is £18,000 or best offer - 'may' consider trades but cash sale preferred.

Have many many references worldwide

964RS is offline   Reply With Quote